Targnil

Hatchet and the main weapon.

I would have a small suggestion to make.

It would be great if we could have the ability to access hatchet and the main weapon at the same time with a selection without dropping the main gun anywhere.

The problem with dropping the gun in the woods to get to harvest some wood is the gun gets very easily lost in the grass or maybe even bugged and dissapear.

It's not even unrealistic in any way since the main gun is held at the back area and hatchet at the right side hanging at belt area.

Edited by Targnil
  • Like 4

I would have a small suggestion to make.

It would be great if we could have the ability to access hatchet and the main weapon at the same time with a selection without dropping the main gun anywhere.

The problem with dropping the gun in the woods to get to harvest some wood is the gun gets very easily lost in the grass or maybe even bugged and dissapear.

It's not even unrealistic in any way since the main gun is held at the back area and hatchet at the right side hanging at belt area.

Had the same idea: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/122208-change-hatchet-to-a-tertiary-weapon/

Not a whole lot of input.

With the addition of the crossbow to the tool belt, I think this is becoming even more necessary. There have been many times that I had wished that I could just quickly use my hatchet to quietly down a zombie, but at the risk of losing my main hand in the grass, (or glitching out as previously stated) I never did. Now having the ability to carry a side arm, long arm, AND a crossbow (so much awesome), I see this becoming a serious thing to consider adding.

If nothing else, maybe just have it so that you must remain in place while switching to the crossbow, and must "reholster" it to move on. That would at least guarantee that I won't lose my long arm, and I'd be much more inclined to stop for those quiet takedown.

Nothing to see here. Just a sleep deprived under caffinated post. Move along.

Edited by Beta_Grumm

The hatchet is so freakin' big though, that's probably why it's a primary weapon. Has to be since they used the rifle animation. I'd like to see a normal hatchet like this one

vZ8wdQR.jpg?1

and a separate two-handed fire/general-purpose axe, like sp86 suggested in his thread.

• Like 3

The hatchet is so freakin' big though, that's probably why it's a primary weapon. Has to be since they used the rifle animation. I'd like to see a normal hatchet like this one

and a separate two-handed fire/general-purpose axe, like sp86 suggested in his thread.

You're right, a hatchet's a lot smaller in real life. The in-game one's a fucking axe.

With the addition of the crossbow to the tool belt, I think this is becoming even more necessary.

Crowbar?

Crowbar?

Crowbar actually does less melee damage than the hatchet, making it utterly useless.

Crowbar: 1389 damage

Hatchet: 4500 damage

Crowbar actually does less melee damage than the hatchet, making it utterly useless.

He said the crossbow is now addable to the toolbelt. I was asking if he meant crowbar.

Crowbar?

*re reads patch notes.

OMG. Well I feel PRETTY stupid right now. And I'm super disappointed. I was cloud 9 because I thought you could add the crossbow to the tool belt.

I think I've been studying too much lately.

Sorry. Disregard.

*re reads patch notes.

OMG. Well I feel PRETTY stupid right now. And I'm super disappointed. I was cloud 9 because I thought you could add the crossbow to the tool belt.

I think I've been studying too much lately.

Sorry. Disregard.

Running around decked out like Ezio would be pretty Boss, no joke.

• Like 1

The current hatchet isn't a hatchet, but a fire axe. Make it smaller -> no intuitive reason for the restriction.

In DayZ mod the hatchet is a primary weapon as ARMA 2 doesn't support mellee combat. The hatchet is a reskinned gun with miniscule range.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change this in the mod.

In DayZ mod the hatchet is a primary weapon as ARMA 2 doesn't support mellee combat. The hatchet is a reskinned gun with miniscule range.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change this in the mod.

That explains why i always think im shooting with a silenced gun when using the hatchet :)

On Topic: Would be great to be able to handle both. At the moment I always placing my gun at an easy to remember place and take the hatchet if im going into a town. I've experienced more than once that the gun disappears into the ground and I couldn't retrieve it.

You don't have to equip the axe to harvest wood if it is in your toolbelt ... just right-click on it in the toolbelt and select harvest wood. It works for me. :)

That explains why i always think im shooting with a silenced gun when using the hatchet :)

On Topic: Would be great to be able to handle both. At the moment I always placing my gun at an easy to remember place and take the hatchet if im going into a town. I've experienced more than once that the gun disappears into the ground and I couldn't retrieve it.

Yeah, it makes a strange sound and puff of smoke as if it were a gun, lol. It also explains the need to reload it in the past.

Mellee combat should be much smoother in the standalone. :)

If I want to run around with a hatchet I'll usually leave enough stuff at camp that I have room for my primary in my backpack. TBH most of the time I'll just lead zeds into buildings and then run away without killing them anyway. Saves time, effort and a bit of blood.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 1

Mellee combat should be much smoother in the standalone. :)

Dean said several times, that he would love a zombie game with detailed melee. But as they are "just" redoing the arma engine, not writing a new engine on their own, and there is currently no melee in arma, I honestly doubt, that there will be a very complex melee-system in standalone.

There also isn't any melee planned in arma 3 as far as i know, so there is no code they could take from that.

I think all of us would love to replay some walking dead scenes, cutting off arms and legs of zombies. I don't think they will be able to include that.

In my opinion, if someone managed to make a great melee system, with zombies you could cut into pieces, that alone would make it a game millions of people would play, no matter what else there is in it. It's just such a big feature done correctly.

Edited by liquidmind

They have the guy who wrote the RV engine in the first place working on the game so at this point pretty much anything is possible. :)

I wouldn't expect miracles in the initial alpha build but it should be much smoother than in the mod.

hatchet as of now = fire-ax (primary only)

actual hatchet= on tool belt (hot key to use), throwable

tomakawk= rare military loot, ignores body armor, high damage,on tool belt (hot key to use), throwable

tomakawk= rare military loot, ignores body armor, high damage,on tool belt (hot key to use), throwable

Why?

Why?

You could punch through a ballistic vest with a spike tomahawk (spike side only, obviously), good luck with plates though. :rolleyes: I'm extremely leery of throwing weapons, even tomahawk throwing is usually done at specified ranges to get the right number of rotations, it would be very difficult to throw and stick an axe into an actual person and kill them just like that. Throwing axes were always disposable weapons thrown en masse at the enemy before charging in with your main weapon.

I feel your concern. It's a powerful weapon against zombies, but made unnecessarily difficult to use. But that's not because of the weapon itself. It's very nicely coded in to the engine already considering. The problems inherent in the hatchet have a lot more to do with Inventory and how weapons are managed in the Arma 2 engine. So there's a disconnect with how the Hatchet should work and how it can be made to work within the confines of the Arma 2 engine.

I'm not sure if it is possible to change the Hatchet to be a sidearm, I'm not a modder. It would be a feasible course of action to just remodel a sidearm as the new hatchet. That is if it's not possible to morph the current one to take up the sidearm slot instead of the main weapon slot..

The hatchet is also tied to another feature in the game, that's probably why you need to be able to put it on your toolbelt. No-one would haul around a melee weapon that takes 10 inventory slots just so they could gather some wood from the forest.

hatchet as of now = fire-ax (primary only)

actual hatchet= on tool belt (hot key to use), throwable

I'm just wondering why there would be a tomahawk, a decidedly Native American weapon, in a former soviet state. Why not just say spiked or flanged maces at the castles? Not that I'm supporting that idea either.

As far as melee weapons I think baseball bats and hockey sticks (baseball and hockey are fairly popular in Russia according to some quick research), and common household tools, such as axes, sickles, machetes, knives, crowbars, and hammers should be sufficient.

But so help me, if I read one more suggestion for a katana I'm going to hunt the poster down, shoot him in the throat and tea bag his corpse. >:( In game of course, doing it IRL would be to much work.

On the subject of the OP, I've been hoping they would add a third weapon slot specifically for melee weapons or make them a secondary. Given a decent primary weapon, I'd take an axe as backup over a handgun pretty much any day.

I'm just wondering why there would be a tomahawk, a decidedly Native American weapon, in a former soviet state.

Because they're in Call of Duty.

Let me be the first to say, if DayZ starts aping other games, I vote Just Cause, what with the hookshot parachute combo.

Edited by sp86

You don't have to equip the axe to harvest wood if it is in your toolbelt ... just right-click on it in the toolbelt and select harvest wood. It works for me. :)

Oh I didnt know this thanks.

I think the crowbar should be in the pistol slot making it usefull