Sign in to follow this  
dusty926

My thoughts on why PROPER banditry is much more uncommon

You know those bandits that would hold you up, take your stuff, maybe break your legs, and leave you a little something to help heal up? Yeah, now the term, "Bandit" has devolved into no more than a dick who kills on sight. (Note I am not trying to stop anyone from playing a certain style.) You do not see proper banditry anymore. My analysis of this problem is, There aren't many options for proper bandity. Sure you can lay tank traps, stop someone forcefully, but it doesn't go far after that. 1 of the ideas I had were to add handcuffs. Now they shouldn't be as common as trash, and the person definitely shouldn't stay cuffed forever. I was thinking you had the option to handcuff a person that is prone and has no weapon. They would stay handcuffed for a maximum of 5 minutes. Although I do realize this would be abused by some if ever added, but that was just an idea I had to help encourage proper banditry just that one bit more.

Another note: If this is in the wrong section, could a moderator please move it to the correct section?

Edited by Dusty926
  • Like 2

A disarm command that you could apply like the current "drag" option would be nice.

Only if you get up behind someone though.

Then, maybe if you have duct tape, you could "bind" them temporarily.

Dunno just a suggestion.

comic sans

Trying to read small, sharp, dark grey text on a black background isn't exactly easy for me. I find this font and size gets the job done better than the default text. Anyways, lets steer this back on topic please.

Being able to just rob someone would be a nice feature to have in the game. But as it stands now with the way the mechanics of the game are, it is extremely high risk to rob someone at gun point. You have to have a lot of variable factors go your way.

It is easier at this point in time to just shoot the person dead and take what you need.

I think one of the reasons "proper" banditry isn't seen much anymore is because of the KOS mind set 99% of people have. I started playing as a Bandit this month on public Hives after playing a Hero/Survival Role since late July, early August of last year. I've enjoyed it so far but the problem I've had is that I can never do this "proper" banditry you're talking about. If I sneak up on someone and tell them not to move or to drop their gun, they whip around and shoot at me. Because of this I can only really KOS.

Just shooting some one is easier, and safer. Not to mention if they have a mate you don't already see.

• Like 1

Perhaps shooting others is all some players are actually capable of or can comprehend ...

Now we all know what happened to my brother when he was handcuffed.......

^^ But now he has an interchangeable gauntlet of death dealing sharpness.

The whole banditry thing is somewhat ridiculous in my opinion. I suppose if someone is in to hardcore roleplay then it makes some sense. But as a purely chosen style of long term gameplay in DayZ, I find it tragicomic. I also wonder if some gamers want to be bound and robbed and held hostage, but I digress. In a game where most players seem to want instant gratification - to just log in, gear up and kill other survivors - I expect any form of roleplay practiced will be met with extremely lackluster results in the stony face of the so many who would not "play along". Myself, I play either the "search and rescue" role or the "mountain hermit". And honestly, if another player tried to "hold me up" or "abduct me" either they or myself would die. The whole in depth bandit persona in online games is just going too far, from my point of view, but if that is what you like ... the sandbox is open.

Edited by Saethkept

I agree.

I think, handcuffs shouldn't have a 5min time-limit on them. As long as you have someone on guard, they should be on. At best a 2 or 3 hours timelimit, if guarded.

Of course, if you can cuff someone to a fence and just take off, he shouldn't stay there forever. I could imagine that when there is no other player within 50m radius, the option to pick the lock with whatever could be added to the menu, so you can free yourself over an animation.

I just think 5min are not enough to do anything serious with a guy.

On the other hand, we should prevent bandits from using other player to carry their stuff for hours... handcuffs + backpack, a few bambis and you can carry a lot of loot over any terrain...

It's a rare sight seeing a good bandit. I like to portray myself as one, I have kos but sometimes it's necessary. It makes me laugh the way people call these coast snipers and such bandits... There amateurs, can't get any proper kills so they head to the coast. I like to hold people up, 90 percent don't comply.

Yesterday I was held up by some amateurs, I dropped my Dmr as there was 4 of them and I didn't fancy my chances I was playing solo at the time on my way to meet up with a friend. They could have took my weapons I couldn't give 2 shits... Anyway weapons dropped I turn and face the other way... Bullets start hitting me.

I actually enjoyed the fact that I was being held up, I was in survivor skin at the time getting a taste of my own medicine and they shot me in cold blood... No need that's not banditry.

I do think there should be some way of detaining people, excellent idea.

Get them to put their hands on their head, and you can search them, and take what gear you want. That should be implemented.

• Like 1

In real life people care about thier life, in this game players only care about their gear so you can't tell someone "hands up" or something like that in real life you can.

If you are shooting at someone you need to kill him or else he will shoot you back or just click ALT F4.

if you think KoS is a issue, just wait and see if they add a mechanic that takes control away from a player (such as handcuffs), and just watch the grieving spiral out of control.

this community cant even deal with KoS, u think having players left with no control other then nothing watching events unfold wont get abused ???

haahh dream on.

its an intersting idea but sadly, it would get abused instantly, till it became a much worse problem then KoS, in fact it would make everyone KoS out of fear of having player control removed (even if only for 5 mins.)

Can you actually remove stuff from an alive persons inventory (not their bag) while they are alive?

There is another reason for bandits to kill. Maybe have a rifle option, that the rifled person needs to agree to.

I think that proper banditry will only really come in with the SA, which will (hopefully) be a more persistent world. People will maybe become more attached to their characters if they've grown over time and collected gear that's rare ...

At the moment there's no real penalty for dying, and indeed - the game is actually more fun when you're starting out trying to collect gear. So if you get held up you really have nothing to lose and may as well go down swinging.

But with the SA even the clothes you wear will be hard to come by .. so hopefully that will encourage people to keep their characters alive and actually let themselves be held up. Who knows?

What if you shot another player all you could pick up would be food and medical supplies? so handcuffing or binding them would be more worth it since you could obtain their weapons & gear also?

I think this would stop people from just KOS since they will not get that great of stuff, but if someone will not go along with your orders at least you get something out of the deal if you do have to put them down.

Just my two pennies.

Trying to read small, sharp, dark grey text on a black background isn't exactly easy for me. I find this font and size gets the job done better than the default text.

Change theme is your friend :)

2wgvyh3.jpg

Yeah, I remember watching a video when I first really started playing DayZ of two guys holding up a guy on the road just east of Cherno by the looks of it and they just rob him... but he turned around eventually and spammed his makarov into one of their faces...

If gear gets damaged when you kill a player like has been suggest with NVG (kill with a head shot = broken NVG) then I think that will help towards "proper" banditry.

I also agree that more has to be added to allow for a "proper" bandit etiquette: Rope, handcuffs, duck tape etc.

Imagine peppering a player with small arms fire, killing them and looting only to find burst cans, broken magazines, smashed binos, ripped cloths, damaged vehicle parts and ripped clothing... that would be cool

Hope this font helps :S maybe too IN YOUR FACE?

Bandit is just a label, not a definition. In dayz, it simply means a person who prefers pvp over walking simulator. KOS is simply the reality of plentiful guns that are fairly accurate at short/medium range (up to 300m). You can't talk to people 300m away, even if you both see each other. Coming closer increasesthe risk and tension for both parties, and at the same time reduces what little chance there would be of a standoff. You can have a standoff at 300m but its much harder to do so at 30m. Most of the city fighting I see are at 30m or less.

Btw, a bandit does not shoot you for your beans. He shoots just because he has a gun and you are there.

Edited by boatie

I just think 5min are not enough to do anything serious with a guy.

Were you planning on raping him or something? :o