deren93@hotmail.com

The Can Issue Explained - "What went wrong?"

I'll start this insight by saying I was one of the people that complained in the 1.7.6 patch notes. Why? Because 1.7.5.1 simply was a shambles, and the thing spamming the 1.7.6 patch notes was a list of vainly named can models of developers who the community was already upset with. We wanted something to moan at and took that opportunity. Boy, we were wrong.

The models themselves are great. If you haven't seen them all, you can see them here. Why didn't we like them then? My thoughts are that it's how the release was worded. Seeing a list of random names in a model list isn't what we wanted to see, but perhaps the models should have been shown to us more directly and the names should have been more clearly stated as description only and not the object name.

The community response then? Yes, our response to moan was too fast with too much prejudice. Equally, however, the response to completely remove the models in a hotfix almost solely for that reason was also too fast. If a decision was made by the next release, there would have been time for the heat to die down and to gain a true opinion from the community. What we are left with now is half a community moaning about the new models being added and the other half moaning about them being removed.

But what now? There is a developer who has made some really sweet models but had his work torn to pieces by our peer-review community. We shouldn't let his hard work go amiss. The models should return, but the marketting should be different. I don't have an issue giving developers credit for their work, but after the shambles of 1.7.5.1, the naming should have been less vain and made less of a "one-shot glory attempt" and perhaps focussed more on the actual benefit here. New items, new models. The cans still exist for the same reasons, but they just add another shade of blue to the game.

My opinion?

Communtiy: Let's not rip this poor guys work up from our underlying fustration.

Devs: Keep the models. Name them more subtly. Market them better.

JoeysLucky22: I hope this gives some input as to why I think things went wrong. Don't stop modelling ;)

-Doc

Edited by DocTolly
  • Like 2

What I still don't understand is why the "community" wouldn't enjoy something that is literally just a bit of tongue and cheek, and create an absolutely massive shitstorm over something that is purely aesthetic, and effects gameplay in zero respects.

The fact that the latest patch release has completely turnt around and outrightly removed them is a joke in my eyes.

Anyone who got so annoyed about the release of the new consumable items, to the point where it'd effect their choice to continue playing DayZ? God damn... there aren't words.

Something else that made me smile - it seems a lot of people who were anti-Joey's-designs in the various threads around this seemed very new to the forums. Reddit'ers coming on the spread a shitstorm?

Edited by mzltv

What I still don't understand is why the "community" wouldn't enjoy something that is literally just a bit of tongue and cheek, and create an absolutely massive shitstorm over something that is purely aesthetic, and effects gameplay in zero respects.

The fact that the latest patch release has completely turnt around and outrightly removed them is a joke in my eyes.

Anyone who got so annoyed about the release of the new consumable items, to the point where it'd effect their choice to continue playing DayZ? God damn... there aren't words.

Something else that made me smile - it seems a lot of people who were anti-Joey's-designs in the various threads around this seemed very new to the forums. Reddit'ers coming on the spread a shitstorm?

I haven't even seen many rants about the cans on the forums. From what I've read/heard, it's been all from Reddit?

Anyways, in my opinion, the cans weren't that much of a big deal to me. I would have actually preferred keeping them, but just lower the spawn rate so that they become rare and more of a collectors item/easter egg, than just a common one.

People still confuse the Cans to be the main issue here.

As someone who spent most time on reddit lately, I can tell you that the overall opinion on reddit over the last weeks and month was, that no funny references are wanted in the game. In the meantime, The people who were around this forum most of the time, formed the opinion, that it was a nice touch and a good idea.

In my opinion, the outrage was about the fact that most people on reddit thought it was clear to everyone, that "more russian" food is wanted, rather than references to developers. This lack of communication between the two groups caused the reddit group to think, that the people responsible don't give a shit about what their opinions are and that they are wasting their time caring for the game.

The cans were just the trigger to give people the impression their opinion is not valued.

Considering that there is a very strong "anti-reddit" trend going on in this forum, I can understand why many people feel like that.

Considering how there are still forum-members insisting on it all being about cans being ugly shows why they might think there isn't even an attempt to understand their point of view.

I do think tough, it was a good idea to pull the cans back out. It sets us back to the point where we should be. The point where we talk about it.

It's the "no decision has been made" point, not the "you have to argue, why we should revert our decision"-point. It leaves both parties on the same level. it's just constructive.

We don't need another thread on this, there's already a discussion going on in the 'Notorious Can Incident' thread.

Please post there, cheers.

yap......this one here should be closed...

Nobody is forcing you to participate in the discussion here Ingasmeeg and Private Evans. My insights here are almost solely for the benefit of JoeysLucky22, it is within my right as a member of the forum to post it. You will certainly not be the one to take that liberty, I'd appreciate it if you don't continue posting here as it's not directed at you. Thank you. 'nuff said

Liquidmind - Reddit does seem to influence the decisions made here unfortunately.

Edited by DocTolly

Butt thur waz pponieeeeeess. Tht showe is 4 lil gurlzzzzz . I am 2 matur four dem stupid ponies lsdfl;ksdfakljf

Nobody is forcing you to participate in the discussion here Ingasmeeg and Private Evans. My insights here are almost solely for the benefit of JoeysLucky22, it is within my right as a member of the forum to post it. You will certainly not be the one to take that liberty, I'd appreciate it if you don't continue posting here as it's not directed at you. Thank you. 'nuff said

Liquidmind - Reddit does seem to influence the decisions made here unfortunately.

Your right as a member?? I didn't know we had rights. Is there a constitution of something

sorry...no problem ...of course you can have your own private thread about this ,,. I guess that makes you feel more important

As for the OP. I think the entire situation is bullshit. If people are going to quit playing the game over cans, then they should do us all a favor and actually stop playing.

I haven't played the mod since November?December because I got bored with it. I am anticipating the release of SA. IF people are going to freak the fuck out about a EXTREMELY (the label on a 20cm tall can) small aesthetic change , I can't wait to see the fucking shit hurricane of butthurt redditor's when an actually change to game play is made on their game.

I fucking hate Fanboys. Don't get me wrong, I really like DayZ, but if something happens to the game that I don't really like, I am not going to explode.

Edited by Vindicator

Nobody is forcing you to participate in the discussion here Ingasmeeg and Private Evans. My insights here are almost solely for the benefit of JoeysLucky22, it is within my right as a member of the forum to post it. You will certainly not be the one to take that liberty, I'd appreciate it if you don't continue posting here as it's not directed at you. Thank you. 'nuff said.

I'm sorry, it just seemed to me that if you do want your opinions to be heard on a much larger scale, then perhaps it would be wiser to post in this thread: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125793-the-notorious-can-incident/page__st__200#entry1208299

It already has 21 pages since its posting yesterday and would be a much better stage upon which to put your thoughts, and it much more likely more people would read it.

I apologise if it seemed like I was acting authoritative, but I was trying to 1) direct you to a better place to post these ideas and 2) trying to help keep these forums clear of what has already been mostly reigned in to this one topic.

I thought that your original post was rather slanderous towards Joey, if I'm being honest, and I disagree with you completely. I won't go on any further as you've already told me that you'd rather I didn't take part in this discussion.

Edited by Ingasmeeg
  • Like 1