r4z0r49

1.7.6 Cans and Drinks

the pop can models were perfect no need to put peoples names on them.

keep what works and leave fancy bad ideas to other games please

for instance i walked by two new cans cause i thought they were rusty old ones. i needed a drink this could of cost my life in dayz. design flaw not well thought out. i dont know who tested this probably the people with their names on the cans :lol:

use polls to guage somekind of idea not forum mods or people who play now and again.

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 2

who the hell cares what they are upset about, I think its great and should be left in the mod, its a MOD not Standalone itself, crying babies.

• Like 2

Its the sheer quantity of the adds, the silliness of the names and the obvious reasons for them. People generally don't take to well to people's ego when it gets out of control. Had Rocket added Rocket Cola to the game people would say that's cool. Adding four to five times as many items as was already in game and making stupid names for them is what has people in an uproar. There is no denying that many, many times on this forum mods have acted like selfish children in giving out warning points or closing threads. Mods here are not just users and when you have that responsibility you have to act like it. Some of them do not act like adults and its insulting to see their names in game. It adds insult to injury when you have broken things that have been there since 1.7.5.1 that causes servers to run previous patches and here comes a new patch that ignores those issues while piling on useless crap. Save that kind of stuff until the end when you actually have a reason to celebrate.

my personal experience so far.. if you somewhat follow the rules and try to reason and not go all apesh*t about opposing arguments and suggestions you won't have a problem. I dealt with some of the mods so far and never, really never saw or experienced something like you described. I guess it is about what goes around, comes around.

Oh, my post got deleted a few min ago. Guess I was too critical of the mods who "contributed so selflessly" to the game. No wonder most of the posts here are so positive of the change, such a sad state to see DayZ in.

I really don't understand the level of fuss this has caused. I played last night and happened to stumble across a tin of muffins. I didn't even NOTICE they were Herpy Doove's brand, I was just pleased to see new items, no matter how minor they are.

Having skim-read this thread (sorry, I would have read the entire thing, but I was worried it might have given me an aneurysm), I can understand the position of some of the anti-cans folks - I can see that it has the potential to break immersion if the player is someone who is not overly good at suspending their sense of disbelief. On the same note, I see no problem whatsoever with a subtle nod to the folks who make and keep this forum and community what it is, a generally friendly and pleasant place to hang around, and a pretty good source of discussion and debate.

Perhaps I'm missing a point somewhere, but would the perfect middle ground not just be to keep the models and just scale back some of the more obviously immersion-breaking names/descriptions? To me, that seems to be a solution that both sides would find acceptable.

• Like 2

It's just because this is readily accessable, issues like zombies glitching through walls has been addressed by the devs, and they say it would result in a significant loss of FPS to fix it. I'd rather tackle the small battles we can see results for than have the devs move into something more significant like that.

Alright, I understand where you're coming from. But this is the mod though and it's free for us (not including the game itself) There's nothing wrong with having some shoutouts in the mod to the moderators who dedicate their time to this forum, I guess it could be done in a different way, not everyone has to have their names on food and drinks. I doubt this will be in the real game anyway, so I don't think everyone should worry too much right now.

Furthermore, if you think that names of in game food have any effect on anything other than your own jealousy, you are delusional.

In general, I agree that not only the criticism of many, but also the way they expressed it, is way out of line and inappropriate. But putting it all down to jealousy is a bit cheap. Many people hold dayZ in high regards and feel protective about it, as if it were their own child. Many people were shocked by the cans and expressed that in usually very stupid and weak argued Comments.

Saying all the critics are delusional and jealous isn't only missing the point, it's actively damaging the community by labeling people with a certain opinion as a lower class of stupid idiots no one should listen to.

I don't need to be jealous of mZLY to be of the opinion, that mZLY yZLY is a stupid name for drink. If my nickname was mZLY, I'd even be pissed to be "honored" in such a lousy way. But I'm not him, so all I care is that "mountain green" is a name worthy of dayZ while mZLY yZLY isn't.

I do like your work rhino and I hope you don't take any offense, but you don't do yourself or the community a favor by labeling people by made up criteria.

In the end, we shouldn't forget that a lot of input and dedication is done by the community, even by those who don't know anything about coding. Everyone tries to do his part, as well as everyone enjoys the benefits of the mutual effort. Starting to weigh who did more and who deserves more benefits is not the mindset a community-project should have.

Can we please start listening more to the opinions and fears of each other, trying to find out what's really about, instead of pointing fingers and blaming people all the time? It's like kindergarten here...

just my few cents...

Edited by liquidmind
  • Like 1

well i have to say im gobsmacked.

First of all i would like to remind you all. this is a free mod. yes free cost you zip nada.

These devs put a lot of time and effort into making this mod and improving on it where they can - although this is limited with the engine used (arma). they still roll out a lot of updates.

i know paid for games that don't update as often as this mod.

The attitude of some of you is disgusting, the mod's do a fantastic job keeping the forums constructive and spam free.

I for one am very thankful to the mods/devs for dayz., So what if a can has a so called silly name on it.. you say its not realistic. i disagree, you can buy or make anything in life, like labels n put it on a can.

you should be showing more respect to these guys and not acting like spoilt brats...

• Like 1

Alright, I understand where you're coming from. But this is the mod though and it's free for us (not including the game itself) There's nothing wrong with having some shoutouts in the mod to the moderators who dedicate their time to this forum, I guess it could be done in a different way, not everyone has to have their names on food and drinks. I doubt this will be in the real game anyway, so I don't think everyone should worry too much right now.

Absolutely, that's what I've been saying all along, but I'm not sure giving everyone their unique food item is the way to go. Hopefully if they do something like this and honor the staff in the SA they will make custom billboards or something that can actually be built into Chernarus+ so maybe each staff member can have 3-4 billboards around the map or something, but I guess we'll see in due time.

• Like 1

How about a vote on;

1. keep tincan as is (ver 1.7.6)

2.change name, butt still have new food and drinks

3.remove all new food / drinks

It is really sad to see more and more simple minded and humorless people here on the forums....I personally would love to see more russian and east european stuff in the SA..weapons..food etc but since we will need placeholders in the SA for the brands we use at the moment, this was a real funny and also technical amazing attempt to see what is possible...not more...no need for drama.

and for all the wannabe loremasters out there..would you really expect to find frank and beans or mountain dew in some small foodstore in some small russian country somewhere at the caspian sea....do you really think you would find a Lee Endfield at all in such a place ??

Absolutely, that's what I've been saying all along, but I'm not sure giving everyone their unique food item is the way to go. Hopefully if they do something like this and honor the staff in the SA they will make custom billboards or something that can actually be built into Chernarus+ so maybe each staff member can have 3-4 billboards around the map or something, but I guess we'll see in due time.

Whilst you may be right re: food cans not being the best way of doing it, I certainly don't think it's an issue of the level it's somehow been magnified to. I know that as a breed, we gamers tend to be pretty good at making mountains out of molehills, but this really does seem to be something else entirely.

I do quite like the 'billboards' idea, and maybe longer term that's an idea worth exploring, but I do worry that making the decision to pull a minor feature within 24 hours of the patch landing (a time period which is notoriously, notoriously bad for crybabies and the 'OMFG RUINED FOREVER' crowd) is perhaps a little hasty. I don't see why there would have been a problem with waiting a week or so for people to calm down, and the stupider, more extreme posters that don't add anything to the discussion than to fling insults to go away, THEN have this discussion and make an informed decision, as there's obviously a few valid points on both sides.

I must say, I like an easter egg just as much as the last guy. But the can/soda thing is a tad too much. And I see these cans and sodas just as that, easter eggs. It's kind of a way to say, hey, I made this map/mod/feature and I left this here for you to discover and have a chuckle about it. It should be a wink towards the player, and it will be met with the respect you would expect from the player that encounters it.

But the whole idea of an easter egg is that it's not in your face all the time. The cans thing is more of a desperate cry for attention than anything else right now. The idea is nice but the execution, frankly, isn't. I would think of a poster, or a sign somewhere in a village, a tombstone with a nickname on it, a roadsign with a nickname on it etc.. Maybe a zombie type with a name tag on its suit that only spawns in a specific spot on the map. Subtle things you need to discover and can only be found at a certain spot in the map. That would make such an addition way better.

Edited by LeYuno
  • Like 1

Why is it such a big issue? It was all in good fun, and a shout out to the actual people putting their time and effort into the mod. It definitely isn't game breaking. Just a little fun on the side while they were working on more important things.

If anything, I'm more concerned with the sudden change in the development path taken for zombies. Last patch it seemed as though they were finally heading down the road to making zombies an actual threat instead of the minor nuisance they've always been. I'm more concerned with the dumbing down of zombies in this latest patch in order to pander to all the whining little kids out there that were complaining about zombies actually becoming a little bit of a problem in a game based on a zombie apocalypse.

I mean honestly, after a few days playing DayZ, and learning the ropes, zombies cease to be scary, threatening, or anything more than a minor threat. And despite this fact, players STILL log to avoid them or clear them from crash sites or other loot spawns. Then the first patch that goes any distance toward making them a threat, players just cry about it. And they pander to this? It's a free mod, why are they pandering? Tell them babies to go back to CoD. There's plenty of other FPS shooters out there to play. Other mods for ARMA 2 like Wasteland. Or hell, plain old ARMA 2. Don't come into a hardcore zombie mod and then cry about zombies being to hard.

So yeah, their pandering to the tantrums disturbs me way more than a few new cans with names on them.

• Like 1

They should remove it anyway because it's so damn overpowered, most servers already do. Your point?

without the AS50 in the game then what you will get is a team in a chopper hovering over a city lighting people up cause they know no one can do anything about it. AS50 is the counter to that kind of crap.

This might be a free mod, but I'd like to highlight the following:

• Players purchased both Arma II and Arma II OA from Bohemia Interactive.
  • The DayZ mod is an 'alpha' for the standalone version.
  • The standalone version is being developed by Bohemia Interactive.
  • The standalone version will earn MILLIONS of dollars/pounds/euros (whatever) for Bohemia Interactive.

Without the players, Bohemia Interactive would never have received MILLIONS from the sale of Arma II and Arma II OA, let alone the future MILLIONS that the SA will earn them.

So if the mod developers aren't receiving any money for their effort, blame Bohemia Interactive. The players are doing their bit in testing the gameplay etc for Bohemia Interactive.

Do the names appear in the inventory or do they only appear on the graphics of the cans themselves?

In the inventory you will get something like :

Can ( Muffins )

Can ( Black Beans )

Drink ( Soda )

Drink (Beer )

Thats it, the graphic is the only thing that changes.

I really aught to be clarifying the misinformation in the forums and on Reddit but all day I've been... flabbergasted, really.

In hindsight I should have put more effort into the change log description as most people had thought the full name would be displayed on the gear menu (It was for a few sodas but that's been fixed).

I feel terrible that this issue has overshadowed all the other hard work the guys put into the patch.

For now, I'll continue to finish the remaining models and textures of the forum moderators and will finish it there.

• Like 2

Well if you wouldn't make it so its damn near impossible to change loot tables in a practical way (no outside the game downloads for the client) then you wouldn't have such a big issue over small loot changes.

Edited by rawrerz

In general, I agree that not only the criticism of many, but also the way they expressed it, is way out of line and inappropriate. But putting it all down to jealousy is a bit cheap. Many people hold dayZ in high regards and feel protective about it, as if it were their own child. Many people were shocked by the cans and expressed that in usually very stupid and weak argued Comments.

Saying all the critics are delusional and jealous isn't only missing the point, it's actively damaging the community by labeling people with a certain opinion as a lower class of stupid idiots no one should listen to.

I don't need to be jealous of mZLY to be of the opinion, that mZLY yZLY is a stupid name for drink. If my nickname was mZLY, I'd even be pissed to be "honored" in such a lousy way. But I'm not him, so all I care is that "mountain green" is a name worthy of dayZ while mZLY yZLY isn't.

I do like your work rhino and I hope you don't take any offense, but you don't do yourself or the community a favor by labeling people by made up criteria.

In the end, we shouldn't forget that a lot of input and dedication is done by the community, even by those who don't know anything about coding. Everyone tries to do his part, as well as everyone enjoys the benefits of the mutual effort. Starting to weigh who did more and who deserves more benefits is not the mindset a community-project should have.

Can we please start listening more to the opinions and fears of each other, trying to find out what's really about, instead of pointing fingers and blaming people all the time? It's like kindergarten here...

just my few cents...

you know what there is this "famous" thread where anyone can come up with neat ideas and if they feel to make your item they eventually do so. SO why not go there and describe what you would like to see. From what i've learned, these guys really seem to be pissed as they invest much time in doing all of this and some are "just" complaining. go there and talk to them bring up your ideas. that's what it is all about.

where is that spirit of "you know what with my ideas, we all could to that and this better"?

edit:

i don't even get the idea of breaking the immersion by adding "unrealistic brand names" as i already posted before, such do exist even in reality...

Edited by joe_mcentire

In the inventory you will get something like :

Can ( Muffins )

Can ( Black Beans )

Drink ( Soda )

Drink (Beer )

Thats it, the graphic is the only thing that changes.

People need to untwist their panties then, who even notices?

I hope the devs hold strong, every release is going to be accompanied by the howling and gnashing of teeth of the precious drama queens who live for the attention. It's worth bearing in mind that the emptiest vessels make the most noise.

Reading through the forum it doesn't take long to figure out who is capable of constructive criticism and those whose idea of debate is a competition to see who can wear out their exclamation key the quickest. I'd say the best thing to do is ignore the chaff and trust the opinion of those that have shown that their opinion is worth trusting.

Edited by theirongiant74

This takes mental to a whole new level. So they added some new food and drink models, boo hoo. You must look pretty funny on the supermarket floor examining canned goods, then proceeding to cry in a corner.

Edited by Willy Wonka
  • Like 2

There has been a large amount of people clearly upset by the recent patch. As a community project, it can be hard to decide what goes into and update and what doesn't - in the spirit of the project we decided to try something we thought would be a nice "salute" to our forum mods.

It would be fair to say, that this has backfired. As is the normal process for dealing with any controversial changes to a community based project, we'll be reverting those changes and allowing a discussion to occur regarding going forward with them.

It's ok for some mods to be given respect, but most of us don't know any of them and we certainly didn't vote for them. A lot were probably picked by Rocket personally and many others have just shown up more recently. Myself and many others have helped this community just as much as any mods, so why are we not recognised? What about the designer of Dayz commander? If anything there should have been a vote to see who the community thought was the most helpful or dedicated.

• Like 2

It's ok for some mods to be given respect, but most of us don't know any of them and we certainly didn't vote for them. A lot were probably picked by Rocket personally and many others have just shown up more recently. Myself and many others have helped this community just as much as any mods, so why are we not recognised? What about the designer of Dayz commander? If anything there should have been a vote to see who the community thought was the most helpful or dedicated.

this thread is all about humanity...

new achievement:

deadly sin unlocked: ENVY

..if that's what it's all about to you..

Edited by joe_mcentire