NewClearWinter (DayZ)

New Food and Drinks Names

Eh, this was a good update with more realism added in the form of crossbow quivers and combat roll limitations. I fully appreciate the work the team has put into the mod.

However, adding ridiculous food and drink to the game completely goes against the feel of Dayz. The realistic, immersive environment has been affected by these additions and I'm not happy with it. I fully appreciate giving credit to the team, but through way of ridiculousness such as what we're seeing here? I don't like it.

I'd ask you to reconsider the food and drink features of this update and change them to be more believable in the next. I don't believe the community as a whole is supportive of these changes and I believe it has negatively impacted my personal Dayz experience.

You are talking about a can of soda right? Not about the zombie pathfinding or the new features? A can of soda?

You know i really think some people need to get out more often.

Realism is an important part of the game for me, some of the food and drink additions are not realistic and negatively impact my play experience.

As I said in the rest of my post, I enjoy the new features and I think the team have done a good job with them. However I do not like the food and drink changes for the above mentioned reasons.

There's no need to be an ass about my opinion and feeling just because it differs with yours, however seeing your response gives me greater insight into how these items were added in the first place.

I'm not telling anyone anything - the clue is in the line "I really think...."

Its called an opinion - something we allow around here.

Then why are the team brushing aside legitimate user concerns about some aspects of this update?

I take it its just the names within the menu system you don't like ?

Moreso than the objects on the ground themselves, yes. Though I would prefer at least a semblance of realism in those as well, the actual can designs etc are very good, the way the whole thing has been excecuted? Poor.

Told to take the discussion here so I have, those are my thoughts.

• Like 4

The foods thing is such a non-issue and people are making them out to be worse off than it really is. In your inventory, they are still just labeled by their food types, so you don't have to say what their name is, and you can only tell what they are by reading the description, which no one does if you played the game longer than an hour lol

• Like 1

Hello there

As with any part of the mod, it is a growing, organic and constantly morphing thing.

Stuff is added and taken away all the time.

If this little nod to the mods and support staff etc are fundamentally driving folk away I'm sure the chaps in charge will have a good long think about the issue.

That's not to say they'll agree with the Yea's or Nay's but any feedback is considered.

I wonder though, truly, how many folk actually are bothered with this issue compared to the folk who don't give a hoot?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

i don't think I *deserve* to be in the mod, but it is rather nice. Being "Mixed Fruit" however, mocks what's left of my manly sexuality...

(although I am quite fruity :) )

I don't really see the issue with the names and the work that was put into creating the models textures is splendid. Perhaps some could have been more "Eastern Block"esque, but that's my personal take.

Plus, the moderators AFAIK had no input as to whether they were included or not. I certainly didn't, so please don't think we did it for "teh lulz" or an over exaggerated sense of self importance.

Personally, I think the mods and support guys (to mention but a few) do deserve some little recognition for all their hard work. Plus, it shouldn't be too hard to bring out a mod to alter the textures if you and others really wanted to or if there were that much objection to it.

I believe simple skin changes are fairly easy in Arma for items.

Rgds

LoK

Thank you for a more professional respond.

Hello there

As with any part of the mod, it is a growing, organic and constantly morphing thing.

If this little nod to the mods and support staff etc are fundamentally driving folk away I'm sure the chaps in charge will have a good long think about the issue.

That's not to say they'll agree with the Yea's or Nay's but any feedback is considered.

I wonder though, truly, how many folk actually are bothered with this issue compared to the folk who don't give a hoot?

Rgds

LoK

You're are good mod. I like you. You don't tell me to "get out more often".

Hello there

We all have our individual personalities. I am no better a mod than any once else (In fact I'm quite limited in many ways).

Now, I suggest if you have any problems with any of us that you either PM us to resolve the issue of contact one of our "bosses" to discuss any issues.

Let's keep the topic on thread now, shall we? Let's chat about food!

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

There is an "actual issue" with all these new food/drink names: It's a lot harder to keep track of how much food you have when you have 1-2 units of five different kinds of food. Yeah I know, adding is easy, but it's tedious in the long run.

• Like 1

Hello there

Rgds

LoK

Thank you for your serious response to an issue that many dedicated players have real legitimate concerns about.

Perhaps a poll is in order? If reddit is any indicator, disagreement over these changes don't seem to be coming from only a small minority.

And to those of you dismissing concerns about this creative decision, calling us 'cry-babies' or 'fucking retarded', you're not doing the mod, or the forums, or yourselves any favors by acting as childish as you claim the complainers to be.

• Like 2

vandalising our immersion for some lame self-gratification. I'm pretty disgusted to be honest.

Anyone have any legitimate complaints? Everyone I play with call the food and drinks... well, food and drinks. And doing a quick inventory of items is easy enough. Even if the products had different names that complaint would still be kind of silly.

• Like 1

Hello there

I think it's a little "above my station" as a mod to do this, but I will definitely pass the idea along.

Rgds

LoK

Anyone have any legitimate complaints? Everyone I play with call the food and drinks... well, food and drinks. And doing a quick inventory of items is easy enough. Even if the products had different names that complaint would still be kind of silly.

What classifies as a legitimate complaint?

• Like 2

vandalising our immersion for some lame self-gratification. I'm pretty disgusted to be honest.

What self gratification? I don't remember insisting this be put in. I just assist in modding the forums.

I am flattered and appreciate the gesture but it cannot be labelled as self gratification.

Rgds

LoK

If the products had different names people probably wouldn't be complaining in the first place so long as they were reasonable.

Edited by NewClearWinter
  • Like 1

We have a winner.

• Like 3

To be fair most of the Mods didn't know this was going on and did not ask for this. Although the names themselves are still a problem.

Edited by NewClearWinter

Cool idea with the new food.

It's so sad to see so many faggots in this community now.

• Like 1

What self gratification? I don't remember insisting this be put in. I just assist in modding the forums.

I am flattered and appreciate the gesture but it cannot be labelled as self gratification.

Rgds

LoK

TagMor is way out of line here, but who's to blame really? Without delving into the forums to read the backstory, the update changelog can easily be interpreted as this being a strong case of self-gratification. I had to actually read through 14 pages of the update's forum topic to even get a sense of how this decision was made and carried out in the first place. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people who play Dayz don't spend most of their time here on the forums. I myself was a lurker up until today as my badge on the left clearly indicates.

Case in point: the top post in /r/dayz right now is: "So the guys working on the Mod now basically just named a bunch of stuff after themselves and their friends?". The reason for this is because, without context, this is how the changelog appears. It's very easy to be mis-interpreted. You can throw blame around all you want, claiming that redditors are ignorant and thankless asshats, but the dev team should take this very seriously. The reputations of those of you working tirelessly on this mod, and the reputation of the mod itself are at stake here. Simply dismissing the complaints will only anger the community more. Diplomacy and transparency are at the heart of this issue more than anything, in my opinion.

Cool idea with the new food.

It's so sad to see so many faggots in this community now.

I'm suddenly reminded why I prefer reddit over forums for pursuing a rational dicussion with actual arguments, despite the hivemind effect I already described above.

Edited by Bisonman80
  • Like 1

i really dont see the issues? everyone on that list deserves there name in the game.

Can't they put their names in a credits list instead of adding 20 new items with their names on them? Will there be 50 cans of sodas with all the mods names? Can't they put a credits button in the game like everyone else?

Put your names on ingame billboards if you really want to be creative.

Hello there

May I ask what names and why? I genuinely would like to know.

Cut n paste the list and bold out which ones offend, perhaps with some reasoning behind it, so we can understand.

Rgds

LoK

i want a hardcore zombie survival horror game. i dont expect things like "derpy hooves canned muffins" to be a food choice in this so called hardcore zombie survival game. (no offense to derpy hooves)

• Like 2

Again, we didn't choose or order this.

vandalising our immersion

Yes immesion is very vandalised by... 3 words in the description of a can in the inventory ?

Have you at least try the update ???

You pick a "can (beans)", you eat a "can (beans)"...

So saying it is vandalising the immersion.... Hahaha good joke

I don't mind having some made-up products here and there but they went a bit over the top here. Something like "Conrad's Whole Kernel Corn" or "Curgon's Chicken Soup" could slip right past me without a cringe as they are somewhat witty and entertaining but "Orlok Mixed Fruit" or "mZLY yZLY" are just bad taste IMO

Add in a rhyme on a thematically fitting product and we have a good made up product, force a name onto an in-game item and we have a community crying about it

Edited by Uuni
  • Like 1