joe_mcentire

how to handle property - the issue when being offline

well i'm curious if there would be similar or better solution for this problem

I'm not sure anyone read my suggestion in the other thread (no one replied) so i'll just write it here (and make it short).

Basically the idea is to have servers that are active only one day a week (just a proposition). So you would play on that server just on fridays for example.

And every other day that server would be inaccessible. So everything you did on friday is safe until next friday, whether it's your vehicles, your tents, some kind of base or a penis drawn with empty tin cans on roof of the cherno hospital.

And since it's dumb for servers to be active only once a week, the idea is that the servers stay active every day but just to load a different state for an appropriate day.

Just try to think for 5-10 minutes how would this work, and i'm sure you will realize many benefits from this system. I said i'll keep it short so i'm not gonna write some examples, but there are some in the other thread.

The link is in the original post here.

I would really like to hear some opinions on this idea.

Edited by CraigChrist

-snip-

pls link ;) because i don't understand quite it from your short summary

Edited by joe_mcentire

There simply is nothing like "ownership" in DayZ at all.

You cannot own something, because is nothing where you can prosecute your claim.

Make your own rights, make your story - defend what you think belongs to you or back to rule #1:

DO NOT get attached to anything!

:P

There simply is nothing like "ownership" in DayZ at all.

You cannot own something, because is nothing where you can prosecute your claim.

Make your own rights, make your story - defend what you think belongs to you or back to rule #1:

DO NOT get attached to anything!

:P

so that is your suggestion to the problem we brought up? it doesn't help at all. just read the OP again...

and actually you can "own".. think about the loot and weapons which are now objects which can contain information, e.g. last owner...

Edited by joe_mcentire

pls link ;) because i don't understand quite it from your short summary

Well you did put it in your original post :) http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/124298-disscussion-hopefully-an-idea-about-non-regular-playing/page__hl__regular (the longest post in the thread)

But i think the explanation is more complicated there :D

to simplify it more:

Imagine a server that's only active on fridays(24h) and it's inactive for the rest of the week (no one can join).

So to protect your stuff you would not have to play the game every day, just on fridays.

I think it's fine the way it is. If you're not there for any reason, someone can come up and take your stuff. Everyone wants realism in this game, but not when it comes to them losing stuff. The #1 rule of DayZ is don't get attached to your gear! How would a building/car/tent would just go "POOF!" as soon as you got off, how real is that? What if someone sneaks into your base without you knowing and you log off? What happens to that guy? You run the risk of leaving your stuff unguarded, making it free loot if someone happens to find it...just like in the real world.

Imagine a server that's only active on fridays(24h) and it's inactive for the rest of the week (no one can join).

So to protect your stuff you would not have to play the game every day, just on fridays.

VqP7o97.jpg

EDIT:

I mean that as least dickishly as possible.

You can do what you want with private hives, but you can't seriously expect the entire world to stick to a regimented program for online-play.

Even out of the half dozen guys I join online regularly, we're hardly ever all on at the same time. It's just not how the world works.

Edited by Chabowski

I think it's fine the way it is.

tents/vehicles yes we could stick to that

bases ...well i don't think so tbh

I think it's fine the way it is. If you're not there for any reason, someone can come up and take your stuff. Everyone wants realism in this game, but not when it comes to them losing stuff. The #1 rule of DayZ is don't get attached to your gear! How would a building/car/tent would just go "POOF!" as soon as you got off, how real is that? What if someone sneaks into your base without you knowing and you log off? What happens to that guy? You run the risk of leaving your stuff unguarded, making it free loot if someone happens to find it...just like in the real world.

In real world you don't log off, you are always there and you can protect your "base" all the time.

The point is, people who don't have enough free time to play dayz everyday don't get the full game.

Why would i repair a vehicle if I know I won't be playing for the next 10 days? I know someone will take it. So there's no point in fixing it.

So the only way I can play is to go on foot all the time and get the max amount of loot i can carry, and well go kill some people...

no point in any cooperation, no point in achieving anything in the game, the only thing that's left for me is play it as a deathmatch..

Read my edited post before you presume that I don't understand the implications of what you're suggesting.

EDIT: To simplify,

1 day a week servers is a bad idea.

It's an impractical and nonsensical suggestion.

Edited by Chabowski

EDIT:

I mean that as least dickishly as possible.

You can do what you want with private hives, but you can't seriously expect the entire world to stick to a regimented program for online-play.

Even out of the half dozen guys I join online regularly, we're hardly ever all on at the same time. It's just not how the world works.

I don't get offended on forums so i didn't take that much dickishly :)

But seriously if you read the entire thing(and the previous thread) you would understand how I meant it.

I just didn't want to write everything again.

I still think the choice for protection of your belongings should come down to "better protected" or "better hidden". Not separate servers or forceful game mechanics.

Safety in numbers is something which players forget about or ignore out of fear. Grouping should be encouraged but NEVER necessary.

Nobody that I've seen has even tried to form any large-scale communities. That's what needs to happen IMO.

It's up to players to find allies, work together and protect one another.

Any feature which over-complicates things or takes responsibility out of the hands of players is a no-go in my book.

While logged out, the gear you have on you is 100% safe. That is enough balance for the risk of hiding all your other loot as far as I'm concerned.

Forget new mechanics etc. The attitudes of players are in more vital need of reworking.

You could either have an often-populated, well-defended base, or a secret hidden cache for yourself. But the risk of losing everything has to remain as high as ever.

• Like 2

In real world you don't log off, you are always there and you can protect your "base" all the time.

The point is, people who don't have enough free time to play dayz everyday don't get the full game.

Why would i repair a vehicle if I know I won't be playing for the next 10 days? I know someone will take it. So there's no point in fixing it.

So the only way I can play is to go on foot all the time and get the max amount of loot i can carry, and well go kill some people...

no point in any cooperation, no point in achieving anything in the game, the only thing that's left for me is play it as a deathmatch..

Doesn't matter, you're hindering a bunch of others gameplay because you're not going to be playing. If you know you're not going to play, destroy said car or keep your important stuff on you when you log. Just because you're not going to play, doesn't mean the guy running through he woods who happens to find where your base is should be gimped. Whenever you're not there, you run the risk of someone taking your stuff. Right now, I could go out of town for a few weeks and have someone steal my car. Does my car vanish because i'm not there? No, it's still where I left it. It's basically the same concept, you cannot prevent it from happening, but in the end it can happen. If you don't like the fact that at anytime, everything you worked for can be taken then you might want to play a different game. Almost everyone who plays this game wants it to be realistic, I don't think anyone who truly enjoys this game for what it is wants stuff despairing just because it's "yours".

In my case, there is no risk of loosing items. I'll lose it 100%. I (and also people whom I play with) just don't have enough free time to check the stuff every day..

And let me be clear I really don't care about stuff and cars(i give that as an example because everyone talks about that).

I care about consistent world for every player. If i'm on a server where there is a bandit gang that always kills me and takes my stuff,

I want that, every time I'm on that server, the same bandit gang is still there. And maybe I could form a gang to get them back...

Also for a base i don't think it should be any new mechanics. It's fine how it's now, you can set up your base at the middle of cherno (that would actually be pretty cool) but the problem is keeping it there.

I care about consistent world for every player. If i'm on a server where there is a bandit gang that always kills me and takes my stuff,

I want that, every time I'm on that server, the same bandit gang is still there. And maybe I could form a gang to get them back...

People have other priorities in life.

Gaming is a past-time for when you've no prior engagements, not something you plan a strict routine for.

Don't misunderstand, I totally understand your reasoning, but the way you put the idea forward strikes me as either a selfish attitude or a naive world-view.

• Like 1

Don't misunderstand, I totally understand your reasoning, but the way you put the idea forward strikes me as either a selfish attitude or a naive world-view.

In my whole explanation in the other thread, this system doesn't affect dayz in any way. Normal servers would still be there, and there would practically be no harm in playing both in normal and weekly servers with the same character. Just try to think about it widely.

You could play as it is right now, gather loot, find people, make friends, kill them. And if you want to build a base, go to the weekly server.

Eventually those servers would become more organized. (all of this I already stated in the other thread)

also beans for you for at least taking the time to discuss about it

And let me be clear I really don't care about stuff and cars(i give that as an example because everyone talks about that).

Then you don’t want an open sandbox persistent world. You want order and familiarity and DayZ isn't that.

The DayZ world is a fast paced ever changing environment. Gangs come and go. You stay still you stagnate and you will die.

Rule #1 - Don't get attached to your gear.

If you can't log in often enough to protect your camp, then don't expect it to be there when you get back. Simple as that, it's part of the game. :)

Well we could all agree on that such a server structure is not the solution to our problem as it is merely a solution for the none-regular gaming base.

Well we could all agree on that such a server structure is not the solution to our problem as it is merely a solution for the none-regular gaming base.

Like I said it doesn't change the way dayz works now... but i think I'm gonna give up now...

it's funny that as I wrote all this I joined a namalsk server that I played with friends couple of days ago, and a lousy broken pickup truck that we left in the forest is of course not there anymore :)

Edited by CraigChrist

same as counter strike :D

sorry, just couldn't resist :)

well i understand where you coming from, but as i said before, this is an idea for some private hives where everyone can agree on that it is only online Fridays afternoon till dawn, but this is merely a solution for some as for all.