shadowboxer (DayZ)

Weapon Customisation

I personally hope its really in-depth. I hope that, not only could put new optics and similar items on it, but that you could also replace the barrel and stock. Imagine being able to put a folding stock on your gun to make it take up less space or be more accurate.

I don't like the workshop idea at all. I can fit a rifle scope on and off my .22 within seconds, without any assistance of tools whatsoever. I also think some of the attachments should be weapon specific, and that every weapon in the game should spawn without any attachments leaving you to go find them yourself.

good suggestions, what about drop rates, who thinks the actual attachment, will be rarer than the weapon itself.

Edited by shadowboxer

good suggestions, what about drop rates, who thinks the actual attachment, will be rarer than the weapon itself.

Depends on the attachment, I think. Suppressors wouldn't be as common as weapon lights, and optics would be more common than any of them. Or at least regular hunting scopes should be. We certainly shouldn't be tripping over them though, I would like to have to put some effort into finding them.

This is something im looking forward to, and you know, i feel like it shouldn't just stop there. maybe add "broken optics" kinda like the ones on Namalsk, but with the exception of being able to fix them, given you have the required parts.

Makeshift attachements are a must have IMO. They would fit the survivor theme perfectly

Edited by Uuni

i dont know if anyone would agree with this but, customisable weapons for me would be a bore. it would take the fun out of going to certain areas or heli crashes to look for different weapons. customising them would mean less rarity in weapons because it would probably be easyer to get atributes in a lets say weaker weapon or rifle, similar to a more powerful weapon or rifle by swapping out barrels, for a stronger calliber bullet. if the customising did ever go that far then, ppl might just be looking for internal parts to get a weapon closer to a high end weapon like an as50 or m107 , instead of actually having an as50 or m107. if it was left to the gamers to make choices then DayZ would end up like CoD with perks, not that CoD is a rubbish game, i used to enjoy CoD but i stopped playing because of other games. DayZ should be kept to its origonal traits as a game, survival will always be the main element. but at the same time i think it should'nt be a weapons race.

i dont know if anyone would agree with this but, customisable weapons for me would be a bore. it would take the fun out of going to certain areas or heli crashes to look for different weapons. customising them would mean less rarity in weapons because it would probably be easyer to get atributes in a lets say weaker weapon or rifle, similar to a more powerful weapon or rifle by swapping out barrels, for a stronger calliber bullet. if the customising did ever go that far then, ppl might just be looking for internal parts to get a weapon closer to a high end weapon like an as50 or m107 , instead of actually having an as50 or m107. if it was left to the gamers to make choices then DayZ would end up like CoD with perks, not that CoD is a rubbish game, i used to enjoy CoD but i stopped playing because of other games. DayZ should be kept to its origonal traits as a game, survival will always be the main element. but at the same time i think it should'nt be a weapons race.

I don't think you really understand how modifying guns work in real life or in military simulations like this. Changing your m24 barrel to a higher calibre one is not: A) possible B) possible. It aint exctly how you do it in bf3 for example where you can stick acog on ak74 and add in foregrip & heavy barrel for higher calibre rounds. None of these things can actually fit the gun that does not support them. What we are talking about is being able to mount and dismount things like kobra reflex sight from ak74 and attach it back when needed. Or strapping a flashlight on your double barreled shotgun with some duct tape

Edited by Uuni

You obviously don't have experience with real weapons. Changing calibers is pretty difficult (if at all possible) unless the weapon was specifically made with that in mind. As the above poster said we are talking about tac lights, lasers, optics, maybe grenade launchers, and suppressors. You can attach something do your gun that directly increases stopping power. Things can indirectly increase stopping power. For instance different barrels increase or decrease accuracy at lengths. Things like optics will make you more accurate (most likely). But nothing takes a bullet and says, "You are now more powerful."

I don't think you really understand how modifying guns work in real life or in military simulations like this. Changing your m24 barrel to a higher calibre one is not: a) possible B) possible. It aint exctly how you do it in bf3 for example where you can stick acog on ak74 and add in foregrip & heavy barrel for higher calibre rounds. None of these things can actually fit the gun that does not support them. What we are talking about is being able to mount and dismount things like kobra reflex sight from ak74 and attach it back when needed. Or strapping a flashlight on your double barreled shotgun with some duct tape

Actually to my knowledge the M24 was developed to be able to switch from 7.62x51 to 30-06.

Actually to my knowledge the M24 was developed to be able to switch from 7.62x51 to 30-06.

My bad! Not the best example there eh? ^_^

Haha you're good. To my knowledge it was going to be exclusively used as 30-06, but they switched to using 7.62x51 most of the time. I'm not quite sure. Could have been something to do with cost.

Actually I'm not entirely sure about the 30-06, but you can get M24's in .338 Lapua and .300 Winchester Magnum.

You should first find a threaded barrel to put suppressors and muzzle brakes on your weapons. And crossbows, I want a flashlight and a red dot :D

I don't think you really understand how modifying guns work in real life or in military simulations like this. Changing your m24 barrel to a higher calibre one is not: A) possible B) possible. It aint exctly how you do it in bf3 for example where you can stick acog on ak74 and add in foregrip & heavy barrel for higher calibre rounds. None of these things can actually fit the gun that does not support them. What we are talking about is being able to mount and dismount things like kobra reflex sight from ak74 and attach it back when needed. Or strapping a flashlight on your double barreled shotgun with some duct tape

You obviously don't have experience with real weapons. Changing calibers is pretty difficult (if at all possible) unless the weapon was specifically made with that in mind. As the above poster said we are talking about tac lights, lasers, optics, maybe grenade launchers, and suppressors. You can attach something do your gun that directly increases stopping power. Things can indirectly increase stopping power. For instance different barrels increase or decrease accuracy at lengths. Things like optics will make you more accurate (most likely). But nothing takes a bullet and says, "You are now more powerful."

ok, wrist slapped. sorry for trying to prevent another CoD style game lol

You should first find a threaded barrel to put suppressors and muzzle brakes on your weapons. And crossbows, I want a flashlight and a red dot :D

My friend bought an AR-15 and it came with a muzzle brake on it that you could take off and attach a suppressor. So I'm pretty sure all M4 style rifles have threaded barrels.

The M24 is a military version of the Remington 700 chambered for 7.62x51 NATO. The Remington 700 has lots of aftermarket parts available. It has been chambered for dozens of rounds and can be modified for custom wildcat rounds. BUT, that I think is outside the realm of the game since you would need to be an experienced gunsmith and have nothing short of a machine shop to complete a chamber/barrel change. Not to mention a different bolt and whether it's a short action or long action. We have to be reasonable with respect to what is possible to do in-game and can be implemented in a way that can be semi-realistic but not ridiculous. Suppressors for example can work with most types of guns but since most guns don't have threaded barrels I think the workbench makes sense. Just to justify being able to install a mod on a gun not typically equipped for one. Plus it would be cool to have a workbench in your underground base!

The M24 is a military version of the Remington 700 chambered for 7.62x51 NATO. The Remington 700 has lots of aftermarket parts available. It has been chambered for dozens of rounds and can be modified for custom wildcat rounds. BUT, that I think is outside the realm of the game since you would need to be an experienced gunsmith and have nothing short of a machine shop to complete a chamber/barrel change. Not to mention a different bolt and whether it's a short action or long action. We have to be reasonable with respect to what is possible to do in-game and can be implemented in a way that can be semi-realistic but not ridiculous. Suppressors for example can work with most types of guns but since most guns don't have threaded barrels I think the workbench makes sense. Just to justify being able to install a mod on a gun not typically equipped for one. Plus it would be cool to have a workbench in your underground base!

and that's before we get into turning rounds on lathes and things like ballistics coefficients.

• Like 1

This is something im looking forward to, and you know, i feel like it shouldn't just stop there. maybe add "broken optics" kinda like the ones on Namalsk, but with the exception of being able to fix them, given you have the required parts.

Rocket talked about shooting someone in the head who wears nvg can damage them. So if they make this, I'm pretty sure they will do it for guns too.

I am a gun-nut IRL (yes I know, I'm evil ;) ). Things that are currently in DayZ bug the shit out of me as they are. Don't get me started on SD rounds vs. regular >:( >:( >:(

I can't wait to see how much work the devs actually put into researching what works with what, picante rail sizings, weapon weight, etc.

For example:

One of these would also be awesome. The Horton Scout HD 125 Crossbow. Bonus points if you know where its from-

p3942065dt_zpsd3c3aca5.jpg

Lol, @ The Walking Dead. Daryl's signature weapon of choice.

Edited by OfficerRaymond

I am a gun-nut IRL (yes I know, I'm evil ;) ). Things that are currently in DayZ bug the shit out of me as they are. Don't get me started on SD rounds vs. regular >:( >:( >:(

I can't wait to see how much work the devs actually put into researching what works with what, picante rail sizings, weapon weight, etc.

For example:

Yes the SD rounds.... Only difference between them and regular rounds is they don't break the sound barrier. As in they are actually called subsonic rounds (not sure where SD came from).

Yes the SD rounds.... Only difference between them and regular rounds is they don't break the sound barrier. As in they are actually called subsonic rounds (not sure where SD came from).

SilenceD? lol

Well in the game, SD weapons cannot use regular rounds, when in actuality there would be no problem; as Subsonics have the same diameter as High/Hyper Velocity. I'm sure it is a game mechanic though, as people with OP guns shouldn't have such an advantage. But I hope it is something that is rectified in the SA.