Sign in to follow this  
Xianyu

Weapon skins/attachments - encourage looting

This isn't a suggestion to make this a CoD-fest l33t tacticool weaponz of pwnz0rz bullshit.

But I am suggesting that, for the standalone, we get weapons that have different skins and perhaps removable attachments.

Right now, weapons are all the same. AS50 is the be-all, end-all of all weapons because it's ridiculously OP in every single area. Once you get one of those, there's nothing left. You've done it. There's no point SEARCHING anywhere any more because you have the best weapon. Finding another AS50 is pointless. You already have one.

Problem is, AS50 just isn't rare enough. Now, we do need the AS50, because of its anti-vehicular capabilities. It's the only way to down a helicopter in flight.

What I'm suggesting is: weapon skins in order of rarity.

Take a M4 for instance. When the M4 spawns, it has a chance of spawning as different 'skins' according to the same kind of loot rarity table that governs the loot spawns themselves.

50% chance of it being normal black and grey. 25% chance of it being blue. 24% chance of it being red. .5% chance of it ending up as a nice desert camouflage, and then getting progressively smaller until it gets down to being like 0.001 percent chance of it spawning as a golden weapon.

This will encourage an 'end game'. You know 'my end game is a gold weapon. That's my goal for this server'. I've already seen a lot of people who hold the legendary can of mountain dew as their 'end game' because it's really, really rare. It never spawns. Finding one of those is a legendary occurrence.

And that means that when you have the matt-black AS50, you still want to hunt around. Because dammit all, you want that gold AS50. Or that jungle camouflage one.

Once you kit up, everything else is immaterial. As a long-time player of DayZ, me and my friends can go through cherno or elektro, kit up to the brim, get a tent, weapons, and survival gear, and then we're just... done. What's next? Hunting bandits is fun, but even then, there's nothing that the bandits have that we want, except maybe a shinier weapon.

Rare 'skins' could even become their own kind of currency.

And attachments would be just as valuable. Imagine getting hold of a suppressor for an M1911? Or a suppressor for, say, the M24? Those things would be worth innumerable amounts of 'trade currency' as it were.

Not to mention that skins would increase the aesthetics of the game. And maybe even increase attachment to a weapon. That was MY jungle camo AKM, and I'm gonna hunt you down and take it back.

And then there's even the possibility of having weapon 'skins' as an 'attachment' that can be found. It wouldn't make much SENSE, but it would be a collectable item. Like, you come across a spray can in the barracks, and it's for painting a M240 woodland green, and it can be applied or removed from the weapon at will. Take it off, give it to someone else. Etc.

• Like 1

Well option to add&remove attachemts is what I would like the most, I'm hardcore zombie hunter and I favorite shotguns.

M1014 for example, but I almost always have to use Remington which has almost no iron sight, while m1014 has a perfect sights for slug rounds.

Remington has a flashlight which is one of best things since I rarely find a NVGs unless I loot them from bandits....so yes this would be one of better things to add to dayz, hope we get it soon

I think there will be attachments, but not custom camos.

Edited by Welch

Way to attach some rags or wrapping a bandage around it should be an option in the standalone no doubt. If they aim for character customization, having custom firearms is quite a big part of it IMO

since i know many people are thinking it il say it the absolute only way in hell id ever pick up a golden one, or one that wasnt black or camo is if it was the very first gun i found wich isnt likely. Brightly colored weapons would stand out and make you easier to spot.

but thats me some people like novelty things.

weapon attachments are confirmed.

Edited by HERBERT-THETREE

since i know many people are thinking it il say it the absolute only way in hell id ever pick up a golden one, or one that wasnt black or camo is if it was the very first gun i found wich isnt likely. Brightly colored weapons would stand out and make you easier to spot.

but thats me some people like novelty things.

weapon attachments are confirmed.

Actually, gold weapons aren't that visible. At least, not in DayZ. The only way a gold weapon would give you away more than any other colour is if you're the kind of tool who lays under a tree camping, waiting for people to walk by.

Otherwise, it's the movement that lets you know where a player is. Especially so when wearing a ghillie suit.

I think DayZ should steer clear of the call of duty esque custom camos and stick with standard ones that would be more useful. I could see gold weapons being an extremely rare easter egg weapon sure, but it would have to be extremely rare. 0.001% chance of it spawning rare found in the most unlikely of places or the hardest to reach, so only those who put effort into finding it will succeed.

As for camo's in general I think there should be two main "groups", factory camo's and improvised camo's.

Factory camo's should be there when you find them, a mix of types from Desert Camo to Woodland, just your standard mix.

As for impovised, it says it on the tin. There are numerous ways to do it, varies pieces of white and black tape can make an interesting snow camo, you can get camo tape. Could even make an anti-glare for sniper scopes by putting a little tape over the lens, leaving a hole or small slit for viewing. Improvised camo's and decorations should be the large part of customising ones weapons to suit themselves, even if they were to carve their name in the wooden stock of an AKM.

As for attachments in general, I support the idea of taking off attachments from one weapon and adding them to another. Perhaps there could also be a chance of jury rigging an attachment to something its not made for. Like for example, taking a scope from a CZ-550 and attaching it to a Lee-Enfield or perhaps sawing off the stock and barrel of a double barrel to create a shorter more compact weapon to stow in a backpack