Dancing.Russian.Man

Current problems with the Steam version of DayZ mod

5:54 PM - Wulfie: Yeah.. The mod being on Steam is actually just going to flood us with questions like "What does it mean when I get an error 'You cannot play/edit this mission, it depends on blahblah'." or "Getting kicked by BattlEye almost every server I join!"

5:55 PM - Wulfie: Because the mod shows all servers that are running the DayZ. Meaning, variations of DayZ that require custom maps and other content.

5:55 PM - Wulfie: And if the server has a whitelist system, the server browser doesn't show you that and you get auto-kicked instantly by BattlEye if you aren't whitelisted.

^ That is basically what I told to a friend of mine, in the simplest way possible.

Those were also the first problems I encountered with the Steam version within the first 10 minutes of trying it out.

I feel that -- as good of an attempt it may be -- it isn't the wisest way to just publish a 'variation' of ARMA 2 that hides all other servers besides those that are running the DayZ mod or variations of it. People who don't play ARMA 2 or don't use the in-game browser are VERY likely to get confused with the kind of errors ARMA 2 gives you.

Some kind of indication or basic explanations of the errors you get should be added either here on the forums(might do that, here) or in the Steam version of the mod itself.

Edit; For the most part, it seems like everything that says "DAYZ" under Mission, is up-to-date AND connected to the DayZ-hive.

But right now there doesn't seem to be any way (or hints) on getting the mission files for different maps, which, again, doesn't help those that the Steam version is clearly aimed for.

Edit2; Also forgot to mention the VERY first mistake I made, which I only just now realized in a reply somewhere else:

The DayZ mod you get on Steam simply downloads the @DayZ folder into ...\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\ This means that it WILL NOT WORK if you download it to a different drive than which you installed ARMA 2: OA on. It keeps the vanilla version of DayZ updated, but disregards EVERYTHING else.
Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 5

Did not know they released it on steam until now. I can see how it would be easy, but I can also see what you're saying. I don't know why they just didn't wait for the SA seeing as they have started external testing it will most likely be released within 2 weeks if nothing goes horribly wrong.

• Like 1

Did not know they released it on steam until now. I can see how it would be easy, but I can also see what you're saying. I don't know why they just didn't wait for the SA seeing as they have started external testing it will most likely be released within 2 weeks if nothing goes horribly wrong.

External testing for the DayZ Standalone has not started yet.

And when it does, they'll let in about 50 of the "closed alpha testers", then a hundred, and then more when the server structure gets more stable.

It'll most likely take more than just two weeks.

I think the Steam release of the DayZ mod is there to:

1. Test out the Steam update system from the publisher's side

2. Give an easy start for people who are new to the mod

• Like 1

So, basicly it's not recommended to play with the steam version of dayz until things get cleared out ?

I added it to my library, not going to install it just yet, gonna wait and see how things roll.

• Like 1

So, basicly it's not recommended to play with the steam version of dayz until things get cleared out ?

I added it to my library, not going to install it just yet, gonna wait and see how things roll.

I installed specificly to check out everything that might be wrong.

A lot of the things mentioned above I was expecting, so it was easy to notice.

It's a nice download if you've already played ARMA 2(and thus understand most errors and "problems" you get with whitelists and such), but have NOT played DayZ yet.

If you've played DayZ for any length of time and are using DayZ Commander, there is no reason you should use the Steam version.

Edit;

They actually did start capacity testing. I'm pretty sure not all of the people that were testing were internal.

A source would be nice(mainly because I'm curious), though it's very possible, since they mentioned a week(6 days) ago that they'll possibly start testing "next week."

Edit2; Yup. Totally confirmed now and definitely made my week!

I have just been telling people to use DayZcommander over Steam, makes navigating the mod fairly simple. Once they work out the kinks it will be a good way to get more people into DayZ since many are still wary of obscure third party programs like DayZcommander that tend to set off alarm bells on anti virus and firewall software.

They actually did start capacity testing. I'm pretty sure not all of the people that were testing were internal.

I believe they might have opened up a single small server or are planning to do so very soon. The broader closed test has not started yet, although some the mods have been quiet for a few days so maybe it means they have something better to do in a limited access closed test (speculation). It sounds like the test will be released slowly for those invited, so it starts with just a few of the 1,000 or so invited getting access and will eventually open up to even more testers to stress test the server(s). Once all the technical testers get access I would say it is close to releasing a more public version, but until then I would not read too much into a small test group.

Edited by Zombie Jesus
  • Like 2

A source would be nice(mainly because I'm curious), though it's very possible, since they mentioned a week(6 days) ago that they'll possibly start testing "next week."

We're testing the SA now for capacity on one server. It's not a gameplay test yet.

Regarding the mod on Steam, for anyone trying it: Right click and select Beta to ensure it runs correctly.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

We're testing the SA now for capacity on one server. It's not a gameplay test yet.

Regarding the mod on Steam, for anyone trying it: Right click and select Beta to ensure it runs correctly.

I knew you guys had been too quiet. Really looking forward to the broader technical test, I am starting to get gamer withdrawl syndrome (AKA a life).

Edit;

"Stability issues from last week resolved this morning, which means... Limited capacity testing has BEGUN. 30 keys were issued today for this." From Rocket's twitter. Granted it's a very small group, but at least some external testing has begun. Like I said if nothing goes horribly wrong it shouldn't be long now. This tweet was also from three days ago so they probably issued more keys by now.

Edited by TacticalN29
  • Like 1

What happens if you have the retail version of arma?

It's an add-on.

It downloads one folder, called "@dayz" and adds it to your ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead folder with the most up-to-date files that the vanilla DayZ uses.

It doesn't change at all from things like PlayWithSix or DayZ Commander. It's just another updater, basically.

"Stability issues from last week resolved this morning, which means... Limited capacity testing has BEGUN. 30 keys were issued today for this." From Rocket's twitter. Granted it's a very small group, but at least some external testing has begun. Like I said if nothing goes horribly wrong it shouldn't be long now. This tweet was also from three days ago so they probably issued more keys by now.

Hello there

Don't jump the gun to quickly. Be prepared to wait. All good things come to those who do.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Don't jump the gun to quickly. Be prepared to wait. All good things come to those who do.

Rgds

LoK

Yeah I know haha! Just a logical deduction.

Well this is going off topic....

I did not know that the mod was available on steam, i take it that you still need to buy arma 2 oa if you don't want any problems?

Well this is going off topic....

I did not know that the mod was available on steam, i take it that you still need to buy arma 2 oa if you don't want any problems?

The DayZ mod you get on Steam simply downloads the @DayZ folder into ...\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\

Yes. You might actually want to buy the two games first.

(And yeah, this thread is doomed to derail. Saw it coming since the first mention of the Standalone.)

Yes. You might actually want to buy the two games first.

(And yeah, this thread is doomed to derail. Saw it coming since the first mention of the Standalone.)

Yeah I already have the mod just didn't know what exactly it entailed on steam :)

I downloaded this but wont to go back to using play with 6 (that I never uninstalled ) after reading this, Is it safe to uninstall dayz off steam if I also have play with 6?

I Installed the DayZ mod from steam and I was just wondering if i download the DayZCommander mod would it conflict with the steam DayZ mod i installed?

I Installed the DayZ mod from steam and I was just wondering if i download the DayZCommander mod would it conflict with the steam DayZ mod i installed?

No.

And this thread should be locked in case of future necroing.