joe_mcentire

give us what we (do not) need! - junk and unique loot

Inspired by several threads and of course this famous one from joeyslucky22 i wanted to gain a thread where we all can focus on items of any kind or use which you would like to see ingame. Everything is allowed from absolutely useless junk over seemingly useless loot to must-have memorabilia.

• Think about what would you find in an ordinary home/on farms/on a city street/in a vehicle/city hall etc. most likely?
  • What would have some sentimental value to you but possibly/most likely not to others?
  • What would have some "sentimental" value to the "to be established" society in this fictional apocalyptic world (besides bullets, fuel, or food etc.)?
  • Always keep in mind, your loot to fit more or less plausibly this given scenario.

Some examples:

• Banknotes

• fits the scenario
  • can be found almost everywhere and at some points even in piles
  • can burn
  • can be used as bait??
  • interesting question: What would you do, when you find a bag of banknotes?

• a bold 2001 vintage of "Crimean's Finest" sparkling wine

• fits the scenario even better than banknotes!
  • can be found very rarely. Maybe in a Manor or in a Bank..
  • consumable?..or just a prop of very sentimental value, worth to defend till the end.

• CD's, cassettes, DVD's.

• can be found occasionally
  • can be used to broadcast music/info from radio stations?
  • could contain background info of the outbrake or other mysteries (maybe investigated by local police forces)
  • well could CD's/DVD's reflect light??

• pieces of shattered mirrors/glass

• literally everywhere were once human settled
  • can reflect light
  • could be used as "swift to acquire" - shivs

These examples do not have to have a real functionality (eg. consumable or useable in anyway) in the first place. But these functionalites could than be added eventually.

The idea is simply to add more diversity in adding seemingly useless junk as money or maybe unique loot as champagne/sparkling wine into the game to even advance the idea of scavenging. Going through junk and making decisions "That is awesome, but can i afford my remaining space to be wasted for sparkling wine? Ohh YEAH it can..."

Some other ideas: Cloths&towels, vac-packed instant-coffee, watches, coins, puppets&dolls, Matryoshkas, pans, fire extinguishers, ...

edit: Please skip all posts from post #4 to post #19 unless you want to read why glass can reflect light :facepalm:

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 6

lol maybe the CD's, cassettes, DVD's have songs on them and you could play them in the cars as you driving lol

• Like 15

not too fussed about that to be honest. I want the diary idea which i think is being implemented and also to see what past owners my weapons gear have had

• Like 2

• pieces of shattered mirrors/glass

• can reflect light

*ahem*

Glass cannot reflect light, as light passes through instead of bouncing off of it. How else do you see sun rays through windows? This one can and will not work, seeing as it is basically impossible for glass to reflect light.

• Like 2

*ahem*

Glass cannot reflect light, as light passes through instead of bouncing off of it. How else do you see sun rays through windows? This one can and will not work, seeing as it is basically impossible for glass to reflect light.

besides the fact that it was just an example and you fixate on a single point of a brought up example....
*ahem*
biggrin.png complete nonsense thank you very much...google Fresnel equations or better i'll do that for you http://lmgtfy.com/?q...snel equations. Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

besides the fact that it was just an example and you fixate on a single point of an brought up example....

*ahem*

:D complete nonsense thank you very much...google Fresnel equations or better i'll do that for you http://lmgtfy.com/?q...snel equations.

WINDOW'S DONT REFLECT MOST OR ALL LIGHT

THEREFORE, GLASS = NOT REFLECTIVE.

Good day, sir!

• Like 1

GLASS = NOT REFLECTIVE.

wow you just defied physics! Kudos to you and beans

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 6

*ahem*

Glass DOES reflect light but not as much as a mirror, you can see your reflections in glass, but it doesn't reflect all the light, only some passes through.

• Like 6

Glass DOES reflect light but not as much as a mirror, you can see your reflections in glass, but it doesn't reflect all the light, only some passes through.

This is what I'm trying to say, and that glass doesn't reflect enough light to be as efficent as a mirror.

I've learned something from this thread. But sadly, not about glass and mirrors.

Edited by taco241
  • Like 2

This is what I'm trying to say, and that glass doesn't reflect enough light to be as efficent as a mirror.

Seems to me like you're back-tracking because you're wrong and desperately trying to save face

Seems to me like you're back-tracking because you're wrong and desperately trying to save face

I don't understand your English.

*ahem*

Thats completly bullshit. Every fucking window reflects light very well. Every object on this planet is reflection light. And normal window glass is one of the better light reflectors.

Wtf is wrong with you?^^ okay... everybody makes mistakes...

Is reflects enough to blind u till your eyes stop working for every time.

Edited by DirtyCry

*ahem*

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever Hurd. I suppose your going to try and sell that water isn't wet either?

• Like 1

holy...sh...ok would it be possible to get back to the topic to some extent?

The core question was something completely different as far as i remember, than the debate about elemental physic conceptions...

Inspired by several threads and of course this famous one from joeyslucky22 i wanted to gain a thread where we all can focus on items of any kind or use which you would like to see ingame. Everything is allowed from absolutely useless junk over seemingly useless loot to must-have memorabilia.

• Think about what would you find in an ordinary home/on farms/on a city street/in a vehicle/city hall etc. most likely?
  • What would have some sentimental value to you but possibly/most likely not to others?
  • What would have some "sentimental" value to the "to be established" society in this fictional apocalyptic world (besides bullets, fuel, or food etc.)?
  • Always keep in mind, your loot to fit more or less plausibly this given scenario.

These examples do not have to have a real functionality (eg. consumable or useable in anyway) in the first place. But these functionalites could than be added eventually.

The idea is simply to add more diversity in adding seemingly useless junk as money or maybe unique loot as champagne/sparkling wine into the game to even advance the idea of scavenging. Going through junk and making decisions "That is awesome, but can i afford my remaining space to be wasted for sparkling wine? Ohh YEAH it can..."

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Guys, guys, guys.

OP didn't mean that windowpanes work as mirrors. He was referring to the fact that window glass can reflect small amounts of sunlight, which is what glare is.

But yes, there needs to be more semi-useless stuff. I think everything should more or less be a weapon, whether it's good or not, just like Dead Island. If a zombie apocalypse breaks out, I'm not wandering from house to house looking for a gun, crowbar, or hatchet specifically. I will grab the first thing I can swing, even if it means ripping a leg off of a wooden chair or breaking a bottle of sparkling wine on a table to cut a fool.

Also, Urban Dead had some items like this that don't really do anything in the technical game mechanics, like a crucifix. But players actually started carrying it as a religious icon, a clan symbol, and stuff like that.

Just spitballin' here.

Edited by FlashHawk4
  • Like 1

some loot, that could be used later in the game for more than just aesthetic purposes:

• cigarettes, also possibly used for transaction purposes --> leaves later possibility for decreased appetite due to nicotine ergo food-bar decreases more slowly; also chances for addiction and withdrawal effects
  • fertilizers (russia is one of greatest producers) at farms --> leaves later possibility for self-crafted explosives; farming?
  • polaroid camera --> leaves later possibility for instantly taking and placing pictures ingame, use with batteries and film
  • empty bullet casings --> leaves later possibility to create bullets yourself; along of course with some other ingredients eg. gunpowder..
  • duct tape --> watch myth busters
  • crutches --> leaves later possibility to walk upright and faster when legs are broken
  • brooms/broomsticks --> leaves later possibility to use as splint for broken limbs (along with duct tape)
  • med. braces --> obvious

edit #1:

• at least some old destroyed/ruined books (Marx, Engels, Lenin, Trotsky, and of course former soviet/russian literature) --> maybe in a future release books would have an "exploding"-animation when shot
  • pencils (durable, but written text in a possibly impl. note-system eventually will fade) and pens/ ball pens (not durable, but text won't fade)
  • mugs, pots, cups, glasses, plates --> well these just as props

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

... or breaking a bottle of sparkling wine on a table to cut a fool.

If this will be implemented and i am certain it will be, and if i, under unlucky circumstances, will observe you breaking that bottle, unless it is with a sword to crack it open, i am going to FIGHT YOU! I WILL FIGHT YOU! YOU HEAR ME!?

Edited by joe_mcentire

I love it. It would totally add depth to the game.

Finding seemingly useless stuff, and there being a small use for them, (or even none!) would be cool just to have.

some loot, that could be used later in the game for more than just aesthetic purposes:

• cigarettes, also possibly used for transaction purposes --> leaves later possibility for decreased appetite due to nicotine ergo food-bar decreases more slowly; also chances for addiction and withdrawal effects
  • fertilizers (russia is one of greatest producers) at farms --> leaves later possibility for self-crafted explosives; farming?
  • polaroid camera --> leaves later possibility for instantly taking and placing pictures ingame, use with batteries and film
  • empty bullet casings --> leaves later possibility to create bullets yourself; along of course with some other ingridients eg. gunpowder..
  • duct tape --> watch myth busters
  • crutches --> leaves later possibility to walk upright and faster when legs are broken
  • brooms/broomsticks --> leaves later possibility to use as splint for broken limbs (along with duct tape)
  • med. braces --> obvious

• High powered(100mw +) hand held Laser pointers (distract zombies, blind players, show friends stuff, light source at night, make fire in combination with paper, combine with duct tape to get a laser marker for weapons)[needs batteries]

Edited by DirtyCry
  • Like 1