Sign in to follow this  
BlakkM9

Urban Dead - An example for a good Zombie MMO

FIRST: This is no advertisement!

I'm not sure if this is a real suggestion but I'm sure that this is a very good Zombie MMORPG that the developers should take a look at. And of course everyone who

is intrested in this too. Urban Dead is a web-based zombie apocalypse like it says at the homepage. You play that game in browser and the graphics of the game

are poor. That's not that bad because the gameplay is important here.

Here a little list of aspects Urban Dead gives and which could be a very nice idea for the Standalone too:

- If you get killed by a zombie you will be one aswell and you can get healed by some scientists (but i dont remember exactly)

|This whole idea would be great but i think thats very hard to get in the game now because its a very big

|idea for the game. Maybe it could be realized like if you are infected by a zombie you have some time to

|get healed (like with antibiotika) but this should be very difficult. Maybe you have to find someone who

|has the ability to use medical/scientific instruments to cure your infection... and if you don't find someone

|like this you will die and your character will be a NPC zombie with your gear (already read about that and liked it)

- Barricading buildings

|I'm sure that this idea already has been posted so i won't describe this.

- Starting classes

|You can start as different peoples: A firefighter starts with an fire axe a radio and he deals more damage with an axe.

|Or you can start as Private: A firearms training, a pistol and spare ammunition.

|There are many classes you can start with. This would be a great aspect to impliment in DayZ but only if every class is

|balanced. Just take a look at the Urban Dead wiki for more details.

- Abilities

|An example: The skill radio Operator: you can use broadcast with a radio.

|Again, look at the wiki pages for more information.

|To earn these abilities you need XP in the game but that won't fit to DayZ. Maybe this could be implemented like in Skyrim - learning

|by doing. For example: if you often shoot with your on targets your aiming will get better (the char can hold the gun more skill)

There are many more nice aspects of Urban Dead which could be interessing for Dayz so take a look at this game (:

Sorry if there are some already said aspects but my main reason of the post is that you take a look at Urban Dead

If there are any questions just post them here.

Sorry for my bad english if this is bad

Links:

MainPage of Urban Dead: http://www.urbandead.com/

WikiPage for Urban Dead: http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Main_Page

LG Blakk

How is this a suggestion to add to the game? Oh and almost everyone here hates abilities/perks and classes.

• Like 1

Well, this takes care of our suggestion for becoming a zombie for the day. We also get the bonuses of picking classes!

Well, this takes care of our suggestion for becoming a zombie for the day. We also get the bonuses of picking classes!

Almost a checklist, we have the SA release date and cost aswell today. Have we had the 16 global ban appeals?

As an UD regular (been rolling with the Garniss Border Patrol in Scarletwood since 2008), I can categorically say that the only thing UD and DayZ have in common is zombies. And even then they're the 'dead' kind of zombies in UD, so even that's tenuous.

There's not much DayZ can take from UD, simply because they're such massively, massively different games with different playstyles and objectives. That's not to say one is better than the other, but simply they just don't have anything in common.

• Like 2

Although it's a cool game, at the moment, there's nothing that DayZ can learn from UrbanDead.

There's some pretty sweet stuff in that game, though. DayZ lacks the story and the lore.

Ron Burgundy and the Channel 4 News Team!

404: Barhah not found!

The various sieges of Caiger Mall!

The Mall Tours!

The Ridleybank Resistance Front!

The various police departments and their APBs and warrants!

It's a wonderful world out there...

Indeed - perhaps once DayZ develops more of a 'metagame', there's a possibility of things like UD's bounty hunter/rogue's gallery system coming into play - particularly notorious bandits end up listed on an external, privately-run website, and dedicated 'bounty hunter' players spend their time in-game tirelessly hunting them down and killing them. It's never been officially implemented in Urban Dead, but it's become a huge part of the game nonetheless.

Edited by Target Practice

Indeed - perhaps once DayZ develops more of a 'metagame', there's a possibility of things like UD's bounty hunter/rogue's gallery system coming into play - particularly notorious bandits end up listed, and dedicated 'bounty hunter' players spend their time in-game tirelessly hunting them down and killing them. It's never been officially implemented in Urban Dead, but it's a huge part of the game.

That doesn't sound very "DayZ" and I'm sure it would have a lot of opposition on here... but I might actually be in favour (if it was well implemented). It adds a lot more character and worth to the game - even without any graphics whatsoever, it can be engaging.

How is this a suggestion to add to the game? Oh and almost everyone here hates abilities/perks and classes.

Classes is the wrong word. I think choose your starting equip would fit better.

It think there is nothing wrong with the idea that you can choose who you was bevor

the apocalypse. this is how i wanted to say this.

I didn't wanted to say this in this way. I don't want an unrealistic RPG game with farming XP and buing some skills with them.

I want that your charakter is able to learn things or getting better at things if you're doing it. But maybe my opinion is not the

same like the community. The post was no provocation or something like that.

And sorry for not knowing what the community want/not want. I searched the forum for Urban Dead because thats the reason

of the post and not for abilities. I just registred here so I couldn't know the mind of this topics

LG Blakk

That doesn't sound very "DayZ" and I'm sure it would have a lot of opposition on here... but I might actually be in favour (if it was well implemented). It adds a lot more character and worth to the game - even without any graphics whatsoever, it can be engaging.

Yeah, I certainly don't think it would be adopted in DayZ to the extent it has been in UD, but it's certaily possible we could see something along those lines in the future - a quick search of the forums even now would likely reveal a collection of threads along the lines of 'hitmen for hire', 'bounty hunters' and 'Will give item X to whoever kills player Y', so there's already a portion of the userbase that such a thing would appeal to.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of Metagame DayZ develops over time, as it's one area where it does share a bit of a similarity with Urban Dead - the 'survivor' players have no goals other than just 'survive', so once players have got gear they're happy with, they're pretty much free to create their own entertainment, and that's where things get interesting.

Edited by Target Practice

Yeah, I certainly don't think it would be adopted in DayZ to the extent it has been in UD, but it's certaily possible we could see something along those lines in the future - a quick search of the forums even now would likely reveal a collection of threads along the lines of 'hitmen for hire', 'bounty hunters' and 'Will give item X to whoever kills player Y', so there's already a portion of the userbase that such a thing would appeal to.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of Metagame DayZ develops over time, as it's one area where it does share a bit of a similarity with Urban Dead - the 'survivor' players have no goals other than just 'survive', so once players have got gear they're happy with, they're pretty much free to create their own entertainment, and that's where things get interesting.

Those hitmen threads are interesting, and I have my own personal "kill on sight" list. There are a few problems though:

1. No nametags: I don't want to see nametags and neither do most here, I think. However without nametags it becomes very difficult to recognize people without talking to them or killing them. In real life people remember faces, in DayZ... nada.

2. Too much action: in UrbanDead you can have month-long epic campaigns because everyone is limited to 50 action points per day. Things are slow, slow, slow, and the map is gigantic. In DayZ an "epic battle" might only last all of 10 minutes...

With the new base-building features that are apparently comimg with the Standalone, maybe we will see things like "the 4th Siege of Cherno". Somehow I doubt it... people don't (and can't) work together in groups of hundreds over long periods of time, and the games are just too different.

I'd just like to see a bit more "meaning" to the game. I think that's the most important thing to take away from this thread.

Oh god yes, in DayZ's current alpha form, it wouldn't be practical. However, in the SA, when pretty much everyone's going to be wearing unique clothing combinations, it'll make identification at least a little easier. To be honest though, the RG was merely a handy example of the sort of thing that players will develop for themselves once the metagame starts to bed in. I've got no doubt that a game with the popularity and following of DayZ (not to mention the freedom) will come up with some crazy stuff.

• Like 1

FIRST: This is no advertisement!

Really? Because it kinda sounds like one? And your basically suggesting that they borrow/'steal' things from another game rather than make their own, am I right?

Really? Because it kinda sounds like one? And your basically suggesting that they borrow/'steal' things from another game rather than make their own, am I right?

guys its really enough I just wanted some people to take a look at this game and get maybe get some ideas which could be implemented in the game.

not steal. Just get inspirated like this. there was no bigger sence in this post.

if you don't like what i post just ignor that. would be really nice. The post wasn't mean to someone but some are mean to me without a reason. thats not very nice of you.

One large aspect of DayZ (particularly the Arma II Engine) is that you don't have any inherit skills built into the game. It all depends on YOUR understanding and skill. If you don't know how to zero or range scopes, then sniper rifles are pretty much out of your skill set. Flying helicopters really depends on your ability to cramp your hand into the proper procedures and use a delicate mouse hand otherwise you crash, or are atleast a slow, unbalanced floating target for better skilled bandits.

That's what i love about this game, and wish they would expand on (such as the ideas about radios and barricading) The actual usages of items and materials should be difficult enough (or atleast timeconsuming enough) That it reflects the actual skill and understanding of the player behind the character. For example, make radios require some maintanance and repair, and you have to actually get a small understanding of circuits and a concept of telecommunication systems to get a system of radios to work. rather than just spawning in with a +5 affinity with radios.

This brings the point of what are they trying to achieve with the SA? Does rocket want to bring in more casuals with a simpler system of skills and character traits? Or does he and his team want the skills in-game to be totally driven by the abilities of the players and how they handle the game?

P.S. I love RPGs with skills and points and all of those point-tracking-systems and stuff (skyrim for example) but that's not what DayZ should be, nor what it was meant to be. It's meant to place everyone in the same position (on the beach, with just a bandage, some clothes, and maybe a can of food and a coke) with an entire ruined country ahead of you. No classes, no damage points, no leveling, no trait trees, nothing but the genuinely ability of the players within the world. (this is why i don't get angry at bandits sniping me from 800 yards or something, because i'm too busy applauding them for their skill, even if i do see that there was no point (but hey, there are pointless murders happening everywhere today, why not after the Z-apocalypse and especially in a game))

Thanks for listening

• Like 2

To be fair, Day Z *could* use the depth of communication seen inside Urban Dead. Which I have played, coincidentally.

As a disclaimer, I do realize most of these ideas are on the list, but:

The UD grafitti system is totally lacking in Day Z. It'd be great to be able to spraypaint messages on walls, like "STAY THE HELL OUT THIS IS MY FIRE STATION" or "NEED A HIRED GUN? CALL UP JIMMY AT..."

Generators might be a good addition, but those discussions have/are happened/happening already.

And of course radios. But those are probably accepted already, right?

That's it. Nothing else is applicable, really.

The UD grafitti system is totally lacking in Day Z. It'd be great to be able to spraypaint messages on walls, like "STAY THE HELL OUT THIS IS MY FIRE STATION" or "NEED A HIRED GUN? CALL UP JIMMY AT..."

That's a really good idea. I presume it's been suggested already?

That's a really good idea. I presume it's been suggested already?

Pretty sure. Some form of sign-creation has been mentioned, I think, if someone would confirm it.

I think the SA will have some form of note's, no idea how it's being implemented though.

It has been suggested several times, the problem is that people would quickly get immature about it. I don't think it would be worth it.

It has been suggested several times, the problem is that people would quickly get immature about it. I don't think it would be worth it.

The nice thing about Urban Dead is that you don't see as much immaturity. I think it's because the squeaky voices don't want to play a game that consists entirely of coloured boxes and text.

An action-packed screenshot.

SfKEeLt.png

The nice thing about Urban Dead is that you don't see as much immaturity. I think it's because the squeaky voices don't want to play a game that consists entirely of coloured boxes and text.

Maybe a limitation on where you could place emblems and text, relegating it to bases and customized player clothing.