Sign in to follow this  
joanjett (DayZ)

suggestion: Caves?

There should definitely be caves near the coast. Could be risky if they had a tide system which could destroy your loot.

• Like 3

Yeah, I love the idea especialy the tide thing but there could only be a few caves so there would be no point in using them to hide gear in. Unless they are made to a massive scale and you could easily get lost etc, but again it would be pitch black in there and people that play this game cant stand the dark soooo... yeah maybe it would be a good place to hide gear!

I don't game at all except for this so all of this is new to me. I've had to learn to get out of my comfort zone a bit playing and have learned to be ok with the dark. I agree, it wouldnt be for everyone, but I like the idea of having kind of a refuge that no one can find you. Just something that popped into the brain.

Interesting idea, and one that would fit in really nicely with the world of Chernarus as it is. The only possible question mark I'd have is whether the game engine can actually 'do' caves. Arma is a game that's been designed from the ground up as a 'wide open spaces' game, so rendering/creating big, natural-looking caves may be tricky. Still, if it's possible, it'd be awesome.

• Like 2

Interesting idea, and one that would fit in really nicely with the world of Chernarus as it is. The only possible question mark I'd have is whether the game engine can actually 'do' caves. Arma is a game that's been designed from the ground up as a 'wide open spaces' game, so rendering/creating big, natural-looking caves may be tricky. Still, if it's possible, it'd be awesome.

You guys need to quit bringing up the engine, man.

They're revamping it. Totally.

Anyway, swell idea.

I'm just trying to be realistic. You can stick as many bells and whistles on your dad's old chevy as you like, you can tune it all you like, but it's still not going to fly, because that's not what it was designed to do.

Who knows, the engine might be able to do them just fine and there's no problem whatsoever, but as we've not seen it yet, it's at least worth asking the question, surely?

they have already talked about underground base building....

caves shouldn't be so hard to implement then should it?

If you had NVG it would be a big murder hole

Caves would be awsome, plus you wouldn't need to modify Chenarus that much either, just add entrances and then do the caves separately.

The cool thing about the caves being in pitch blac, is that everyone will need to use flares or walk around with chem lights at least, so adventuring down there and looking up ahead for other players would be exciting.

They could add special spawn points for loot or something, somehting like deer stands, but down in the cave, or even mines ;)

Oh definitely, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see caves - they'd be really interesting places to explore, and add a whole new dimension to the game - having an area where you NEED to get used to being in the dark if you want to explore it, therefore dragging players out of their comfort zones? Sounds great to me.

Chernarus never struck me as a very limestoney area. Any caves wouldn't necessarily be massive underground expanses.

Mines, on the other hand, could be anywhere.

I'm all for adding more to explore and get lost in, but I don't want to see things haphazardly thrown in just to prove that it can be done.

• Like 1

I dont really see caves as something that would be good to hide in. I mean imagine if they were marked on the map? You KNOW that SOMEONE is gonna check each cave until they find someones stuff. Thats not to say I dont think caves shouldnt exist. Maybe get materials to board the entrances up?

Edited by Talibambi

I like the idea. Everything in DayZ is too perfectly lit in the game as it is (i'm sure this will change in the standalone) but having caves would change this. Flashlights and flares and chemlights would be important, even in the daytime, and it would add another CQB element to the game. I mean, who wants to get a face full of buckshot while they're trying to sneak around someone's cave?

That would be awesome, not just on the coast, also on mainland, then you have the choice of going in the cave, not knowing where it ends, and have some rats or some other things in it.

Then you should be able to make a torch or something.

Really this is one of the better ideas!

Maybe in the cave you could find some old abandoned mining gear, and you could mine some kind of metal from there, such as lead or iron, that you could use to make bolts for your crossbow, make a knife or even craft some bullets for your weapon (taking the other ingredients needed from cannibalizing different caliber rounds, more likely as fallout:NV crafting system, but more realistic.)

When processing lead ore, for example, you could use the residues for poisoning your hatchet or your arrow.

There's a heckton of possibilities on this, would be a great addition to the game.

Edited by lipemr

this idea sounds amazing. A nice large network of caves would be a great way to sneak around people. Also sounds like a good way to die.

If this can be created...

I would like to suggest the following:

Abandoned mining Shaft

Edited by UnarmedCiv