arowleykearns

DOG HELPERS FOR DAYZ SA

I don't know if it's been suggested yet but what about adding dogs to dayz?

Ok so say you enter a village and theres a dog in a fenced off area at the back of a house, lets say to tame the dog and make it your helper, you have to feed it dog food raw meat off an animal you've killed.

Once tamed the dog (I see them being German shepherds) will follow you and you will be able to command it to do certain tasks. Once tamed an icon will appear in the bottom left of the screen, similar to that of a solder under your command in arma 2, also as dogs have heightened senses if a player or zombie comes within 100m the dog becomes alerted and an "!" appears on its icon. As time goes by aswell the dog will become more experienced and therefore it's detection range will increase to a maximum of 200m.

Ok so a few other ideas I had were make the dogs imatate the player so if the players stood up then so will the dog but if the players lying down then so will the dog, same goes for the speed at which the player is moving.

So you've found a dog but if you want its help you need to look after it by feeding it and watering it. As we all probably know dogs will eat anything, and you would be able to feed it anything that you can eat, but canned food isnt good for dogs and therefore will lower the sensitivity of the dog meaning it's less effective and lowering to range at which it detects players and zombies. So to keep your dog health you have to feed it dog food or raw meat. Same goes drinking if you give it pop it will lower its sensitivity so to keep it healthy you should only give it water out of a canteen. Also like the player the dog will have a hunger, thirst and blood indicator and so the hunger and thirst deceased over time and the blood will decrease if the dog is overly hungry or thirsty or it is hurt by a player or zombie.

Dog on Dog - if a player commands a dog to attack or immobilize another player who is being protected by a dog then the two dog will engage then a combination of health and experience will decide who wins. (now I understand that this maybe abused and players may just fight the dogs for fun but it all added to the game).

Dogs as food- like all animals in dayz dogs will provide raw meat if killed and gutted providing 4 raw steais.

Stealing dogs of other players- if you kill another player who has a dog you will have the option to adopt their dog as your own.

Also you will only be allowed to have control over two dogs this avoids the possibility of just owning a huge pack of dogs and conquering the server.

Customizing your dog- when close to you you will be able to access your dogs inventory in your scroll down menu. In the inventory you will have the option to give your dog armoured dog vest to lessen damage or storage belts so that you can use your dog as another storage place. Also you will be able to add accessories like collars to my your dog to make it your own.

A list of orders are below:

Sit and Stay- abit self exploratory really the dog sits and stays where the order is given.

Protect- this is the default behavior of the dog and the dog will protect you and attack any zombies or players that attack you.

Attack- targeting using your crosshairs the dog will attack the player, zombie or animal till they are killed.

Immobilize (only works on players)- targeting using your cross hairs the dog will attack the player until they are knocked out then return to you.

Scout- the dog will advance 100m ahead of you and then return, if alerted by another player or zombie an "!" will appear on its icon the dog will lie down and wait for a command.

Search(this only works on buildings)- target a building using the crosshairs the dog will then enter the building and search every room for players or zombies if it comes across one it will become alerted and immedietly return to you to prevent it coming to harm, if not it will bark to let you know it is clear.

Heel- if you and the dog become separated then this will command the dog to return to your side.

Fetch- if you kill a small animal at range (I.e a rabbit or chicken) you can order the dog to fetch it back to you saving yourself having to go out into the open.

Eat/drink- this command if aimed using the crosshairs at a non-gutted animal will automatically make the dog eat from the carcass and restore hunger to 100%. If aimed at a pond ect will return thirst to 100%.

So there's my ideas on dogs in dayz, let me know what you think an till me if it's a crazy idea or if you like it. Also if your unsure about anything ask me and I'll clarify.

Edited by arowleykearns

That would just get annoying really.... having a dog follow you around... when you trying to hide from a bandit you dont want a dog standing right next to you while your hiding in a room, building, bush etc.

It would make sneaking much harder, and moving stealthy and silently.

They already had dogs...?

They already had dogs...?

They did at one point, and I think there's a good reason behind it when they were removed.

Suggesting something aleady being added to the game.

Also german shepards are overused. I want Dobermen Pinchers or bloodhounds.

Edited by harley001

This post made absolutely no sense to me.

Also we need some grey hounds they are way cooler than shepards.

This post made absolutely no sense to me.

Also we need some grey hounds they are way cooler than shepards.

Sure, there going to implement grey hounds instead of shepards because a random person from the forums likes "grey hounds" better.

Sure, there going to implement grey hounds instead of shepards because a random person from the forums likes "grey hounds" better.

More variety is fun.

I'm sticking with my asshole mood today.

> Dog fenced off onto a yard, abandoned and starving.

> Open the gate, expect it to love you and follow you around loyally.

Your logic is terribly flawed.

The dogs idea has been in since beginning of DayZ mod. And if they give up on it, its because it will be so buggy and frustrating, the coding for it must be a bitch and I don't think many people will have them as they will just be griefed and killed, so unless they work perfectly and have something usefull, I doubt they will try to add them. Maybe in the future of the SA

Firstly thankyou all for reading my post. I was watching a couple of videos on youtube with a few tweaks to the comand interface I still think they could be an effective tool and could be used effectively like in "I am Legend". As you've said they will give away your position if your hiding but you might be able to use the dog as bait to set up an ambush ect and at the end of the day you dont need the to adopt the dog if you dont want to.

Now when it comes to the breed of the dog why can't we have different breeds to do different jobs? I.e German Shepards for a combat dog, speciallised for attacking and grey hounds for a fast scouting dog? each breed could have its own speciality. Also is smell and wind direction going to become a new thing on Dayz standalone? if so then a trait of the dogs would be their sence of smell and if tracking a player with a dog you'd have to stay down wind of the player or else the dog maybe become alerted to your smell.

By the way I understand how much time it would take to impliment this so this is all ideas.

Edited by arowleykearns

AFAIK Rocket still wants to add dogs to SA, but he's obviously not going to want to make the addition if they don't work properly,

AI for animals will require a lot of work, because it's not going to take much of a quirk in behaviour for it to ruin the game experience.

If your dog is a fucktard that doesn't act like a dog, it's going to break immersion.

If the dog's behaviour is such that you can't play the game properly, whether it's giving away your position, or getting in the way, or even just not responding to commands as intended, it's going to have to be put on the back burner until it can be properly implemented.

I've not heard anything regarding different breeds or anything, but the german sheperd was at least in development at some point.

Here's an old vid.

For now dogs have been put on hold while they crack on with more important things.

dogs are coming to SA odds are that they won't be there on release but soon afterwords

Edited by King Tubbs