Sign in to follow this  
Blootz

Newbie Here!

Hey guys,

Just bought Arma II: Combined Operations so while that installs I will get familiar with the DayZ forums. (that's all I purchased it for, hehe)

So, does anyone have any advice for me? Anything I should know before I start "DayZing" ?

• Like 1

My only advice. Don't team up with real life friends on any form. (TS, Skype and such) Unless you are both newbies. Otherwise It will spoil the adventure :)

Ignore all advice, until you've died at least once.

Essentially, You can either read up the plethora of information available to you online or here, or you can learn it all first-hand.

Learning it first-hand is much harder, takes a lot longer and might demotivate you, but the experience of learning how to do something makes it worth it.

Alternatively you can read up how to do things, and jump right into playing the game efficiently. Suitable for when you don't think you're interested in the fun of learning first-aid, or learning to cooking your first meal.

Personally, I went with a compromise. I learned the core basics via tutorials, such as controls, "etiquette", et cetera, but then I went about everything else myself.

• Like 1

Dont drink the dew, Pine trees and bushes are your friends. And if you MUST be a bandit.... please dont spawnkill, Dont KOS. do what a REAL bandit does and take the info/supplies you need at gunpoint. If they refuse..... Only then should you shoot them. If you are a survivor (like Myeh) Always offer help to unarmed players and freshspawns because you never know.... in the long run your paths could cross again and they might help YOU. Ive been in this situation before. Also dont announce where you are over global or side chat. EVER. And dont mark where you are at specifically on a map.

Also! Start off on relatively LOW pop servers until you get the hang of the game. If you are a hacker... please be the first hacker to use your powers for good and keep whatever server youre on SAFE from the bad hackers. :)

• Like 1

Ignore all advice, until you've died at least once.

hey.... im sorry dude. Ive seen your posts on a lot of threads lately and I have to ask..... Whats up with the duck sitting down? :l

Trust nobody except Rage because he's super awesome n stuffs.

D'aw, thanks.

hey.... im sorry dude. Ive seen your posts on a lot of threads lately and I have to ask..... Whats up with the duck sitting down? :l

It's how I see myself.

yo dude, i recommend watching some yt tutorials, i watched quite a few after i first logged on dayz as i realised the inventory system is quite in depth (but simple once you know) also the movement system is far different to any other fps like cs or l4d, in fact the only similarities are w a s d. also trusting people a bit hard, some people claim their friendly but all they what is ur stuff and for u to start again, which also reminds me if u find games frustraing or annoying when u die it'd probably b a good idea to start dayz knowing youll start again soon, it is full of betrayal and unfortunatley lots of hackers (hakers are rooted out tho =]) as a fellow newbie i try and help as many as i can just to slim the chances of the inevitable fate =] GLHF

Don't get attached to your stuff. I find that to be a hard rule to remember sometimes. :(

Hi Blootz. Most of all enjoy every moment. You can never re-live those first days of fear and expectation that you will experience running up that beach! :thumbsup:

Run to the far north avoid everything find a player camp and raid it. Then make your own camp no where near it.

Alright, I have been playing DayZ for about 7 months now, so yeah I seen everything change and what not. Now, no matter how much advice people give you, there's little chance it will work. You see, understanding is one thing, do-ing is another. I'll just tell you some tips that will help you in your lil' "Adventure"

1. Do not trust anyone, even if you see some guy with nothing, don't trust him.

-Do not group up with any people you don't know in real life. Grouping up with friends who you can beat up afterwards if they kill you is the best choice

-Do not try communicating with people you don't know.

2. Scavenging Supplies: This may be thought to be simple, but really isn't, because it revovles around your entire playing style.

-You want to know how to divide your space of your inventory, and WHAT TO & WHAT NOT TO carry with you;

>You always want to keep a nice abundance of Food & Drink with you. Take Water Bottles over Soda Cans, Meat over Cans, but keep some Soda & Cans as emergency supplies incase you get unlucky. (Some people loot from village to village to keep their pile full)

>You also want to keep medical supplies with you. A good foresay amount of Meds are: 4 Painkiller, 3 Morphines, 1-3 Antibiotics (If you find them, they're supposed to be increased spawns now)

3. Weapons & Ammo: We all want that nice, big, shiny AS50 or that Bullet Punching M249 SAW, but what's really the best weapon to pick?

-Honestly, there is no "Best" Weapon for a person. I have been playing for 7 months now and trust me, you'll be shifting guns a lot. But what to look for in a gun?

>Power

>Accuracy

>Noise

>Generality (Common or not)

-Power: It doesn't take a genius to know what gun is more powerful than another. Simply look at the Caliber when you see a Weapon. Click on it & the info box should show on the bottom left of your inventory

-Accuracy: A high powered sniper rifle is obviosuly going to be more accurate at distance than a Double Barrel Shotgun, but some weapons are more accurate than others.

Now, we all have different playing styles, some of us like em' Rifles, some like those Machine Guns, and some are those Deadly Snipers, but the more we get used

to a gun, the more better performance we have with it.

>Zeroing: It's really a sniper's thing, adjusts Scope for distance, but on the AKM we have it to. All guns, like 95% are Zeroed in at 300m

-Noise: Lets face it that the M95SD6 is as quiet as it will get, then we have that M107 siren... More Noise= More Zombie Aggro. Plain & Simple

-Generality: Now, let's face it that some rare guns don't have ammo for it everywhere. You won't start finding PP-19 Bizon SD mags everywhere, so it's a good idea to pick a gun with a fiarly common ammo type, (AKM Mags, AK Variants, M Rifle Variants)

4. Looting: Going into the High Risk, High Reward Areas aren't recommended unless you have a general idea for of the situation, but go for the "Big" Reward Areas.

-Deer Stands

-Barns, Farms & Other Related Agriculture Infrastructures

-Residential Buildings

You want to AVOID:

-Industrial Buildings (Unless you want Cars Parts and such)

-The Coast (No Shit)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You also want to avoid the Large Population Areas, Chernogorsk, Elektrozavodsk, Berezino, Krashtonav, etc. (Unless you are a bunch of people ready for any action)

Hope this helped, -Mammo

Dont drink the dew, Pine trees and bushes are your friends. And if you MUST be a bandit.... please dont spawnkill, Dont KOS. do what a REAL bandit does and take the info/supplies you need at gunpoint. If they refuse..... Only then should you shoot them. If you are a survivor (like Myeh) Always offer help to unarmed players and freshspawns because you never know.... in the long run your paths could cross again and they might help YOU. Ive been in this situation before. Also dont announce where you are over global or side chat. EVER. And dont mark where you are at specifically on a map.

Also! Start off on relatively LOW pop servers until you get the hang of the game. If you are a hacker... please be the first hacker to use your powers for good and keep whatever server youre on SAFE from the bad hackers. :)

Agreed, you should start on a low pop server. Like the one in my sig! Sign up for the whitelist or hit me up here in a pm or in our IRC webchat and I will get you in immediately.

hey man! welcome to Dayz!

We've got a new server up, friendly active admins and looking for new players.

we've got a new forum up and are giving juicy bonuses to new players. Get a custom weapon/tool/item that always spawns on your character each time u fresh spawn. clans get even better bonuses! So if you find any friends on here you'll even get your oiwn private, secret choppwer spawn!

http://dayzfordays.blogspot.com.au/p/lone-wolves.html

come register to get involved, or just jumop on the server

filter: DAYZFORDAYS or Peter and Ron

Or go direct to IP

119.81.31.7:3323