Sign in to follow this  
CamP

Is white-listing redundant? I think so.

Over the last few days/weeks I've noticed an increase in requests that servers have a 'white-list' I have to ask, what's the point? Most servers will take in anyone the first time, a hacker for instance could / will be white-listed, screw everyone over, and be IP banned. I have to ask how that's any different from non-white-listed servers? I too locate the hacker with the latest admin tools given to me and GUID/IP ban him from my server. . . I feel white-listed servers are redundant and obnoxious.

It makes no logical sense to me, though I'm open to criticism and input on the matter. Let me know what you think!

Edited by CamP

I guess people think that hackers are too lazy to go through the whitelist process.

• Like 2

I guess people think that hackers are too lazy to go through the whitelist process.

that is completly false

I don't whitelist mine, just don't see the point unless it's full 24/7 and people are struggling to get in. We just keep a good eye on the server for dodgy stuff happening with gotcha and the logs. Don't want to alienate new players who just want to join a server.

I guess population control could be a useful feature. Reservation slots would probably be a better solution. Add players to a list, when they attempt to join a non-reserved player is bumped out. If you REALLY wanted a secure server, you should go with the refer a friend route, and ban an entire lot of friend/referrals if one of their buddies hack. Then publicize it to make a point. That's what I would do anyways.

The white listing process is critical to protecting the player base from script kiddies. If you're doing the white listing properly, with the databases at your disposal, you can even catch scripters/cheaters before they even get through that process. You need to know what you're doing. Many scripters are banned and/or on no play lists because of their previous actions, and most white listed servers catch these guys right at the beginning. Most guys with a history of cheating don't bother to apply to white listed servers because they know that they probably won't get through. This alone is a huge relief from scripters. I've been playing on white listed servers for more than 2 months and haven't had a single scripter encounter. On a public server that claim would be impossible in my opinion. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Another thing about white listed servers is that they usually have a community with multiple active admins and moderators behind them instead of a single server owner. It makes it much easier to monitor the server for suspicious activity when you have a group to do it. One person responsible for a server is weak protection at best. Public servers usually rely on the integrity of one admin instead of a group. How many posts are their out there about abusive admins? It's much more difficult to encounter that when each individual moderator is accountable to his/her group.

To be honest I'm surprised at the OP. I'm not sure how you would even come to the opinion that whitelisted servers are obnoxious. In my opinion they're essential.

• Like 3

My server;

Before whitelisting, 10-15 players banned per day. After whitelisting, 15 players banned in 4 months.

:)

• Like 3

Hello there

Whitelisting is only part of the way to have a decent server. ICS above me explains it well IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

So what you're saying is having a white-listed server somehow deters hackers because of an initial step of having to register on a website, create a fake email, proxy an ip, etc etc.

That could be. I'll ask again. Why not go for a refer a friend style, where their referrers are punished as well? This would probably be the ultimate way to secure a server....

Forcing a social community is also an interesting thought, however that can have it's downsides as well... Possibly creating a passive server as opposed to a healthy mixture of both PVP and PVE.

I like the responses so far, any other input?

Edited by CamP

I don't think the white listing process forces any kind of social community perse. It's only real purpose is to deter malcontents. The social aspects are just a natural progression of being together on the same server and/or part of a community. I'm still as much a hermit on the white listed servers as I was on the public servers because the mix of PVP and PVE is still there. That's just DayZ. If someone tried to dictate how I play DayZ I would look for another home. There are oodles of great communities out there.

Also, the refer a friend idea is not a good way to proceed at all. The key to the white listing process is that the people responsible for allowing players into the servers know what they're doing ( hopefully ). I've seen it more than a few times when an individual player refers someone that he really doesn't know, because he thinks he's a cool guy, and that referred player ends up being a huge problem. You can't rely on the opinions of multiple people to maintain control of the situation. You need to have dedicated people responsible for that bottle neck to ensure the servers are protected.

Edited by Ice Cream Soldier
  • Like 1

As the guys above already mentioned, its the extra steps a hacker has to take to grief your server. For mine, a hacker has to attempt to join, then he gets kicked with an instruction to email us, then he emails and receives an auto response back stating he must apply in a thread on the DayZmod.com forum, then he has to take the time and register an account and go through the process. It's long winded, and it does wonders for keeping the hackers out.

Yes there are some hackers who take the time to apply etc and who do fall through, but they are rare. The majority of hackers simply click the next server in the list and begin griefing them instead B)

Edited by -Panda
  • Like 1

Sometimes whitelisting helps you track IPs that use hacks.

Sometimes whitelisting helps you track IPs that use hacks.

Ive never known a whitelist that uses IP, always GUID.

• Like 1