Sign in to follow this  
Rage VG

Top 5 things the latest devblog told us.

#5:

Looting is going to be significantly harder. No more run in, run out.

#4:

Swamps are going to be high risk, high reward; there are plenty of spots to get your water, but plenty of bacteria too.

#3:

Clothing is going to have an impact besides cosmetics.

#2:

We're no long going to have to deal with running into a city, and find no loot because it hasn't spawned yet.

And, most importantly,

#1:

Matt Lightfoot does not like to wear pants.

#1 is perhaps the most important. Agree?

• Like 24

NO MAS PANTLONES!

PANTALONES DE FUEGO!

• Like 3

Where did you get #4 from? Did we see different devblogs?

As for clothing, I find their approach a dangerous path. If they're too unique properties-wise, eventually, no matter if there's 50 or 100 clothing parts, people will learn what "the best combinations" are and then everyone who has survived past a certain point will look the same. Here's praying they go for very narrow categorization so e.g. short shorts have less space than proper pants, but it doesnt make much difference between blue jeans or black cargo pants. But of course we haven't seen much yet, and I like what I saw :D

Unless they want to make a gear interface where the charater model is the interface and you move items into pockets and stuff like that, a system that sounds cool on paper but is usually doomed by it's short-comings, I hope they take a look at Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 (community modded version) LBE-Gear system and how it's implemented:

- rudimentary inventory space on character + the usual weapon / armor slots

- optional body vests in different shapes with different combinations of pockets, e.g. one with 4 AR-sized magazine pockets, 2 utility pockets and a misc pocket

- optional leg-strapped pouches on both legs with different combinations of pockets, e.g. one with 2 grenade slots, 1 mag slot and 1 water bottle slot, or one with room for 1 MG belt mag + 1 canteen or grenade

- optional carry-on bag with different combinations of, e.g. 3 items of any size be it weapons or generic items or 2 items of any size + 2 slots for normal sized items

- optional backpacks of varying size / space allocation that cannot be worn when a carry-on bag is worn. you can't climb up ladders and extreme stuff like that with your backpack on. you have to unzip it to get stuff out, so it takes some time and requires being stationary

- All of the bags have their own weight additional to the contents' weight, need to be found as seperate items, and total weight slows the character down and speeds up fatigue

This may be a little bit too militaryesque for DayZ, but it's a good starting ground. In fact, I never get tired of repeating that DayZ can learn many a thing from Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 in terms of how to make a great inventory/item/attachment/durability system.

Also, I disagree on your order :P Besides the humor, clearly #1 is changing stuff to be handled by the server. This was inevitable, so it's good to see progress on it.

Edited by Elvaron
  • Like 3

I actually prefer longer looting times, makes it more balanced for all levels having an equal chance to get killed

Where did you get #4 from? Did we see different devblogs?

As for clothing, I find their approach a dangerous path. If they're too unique properties-wise, eventually, no matter if there's 50 or 100 clothing parts, people will learn what "the best combinations" are and then everyone who has survived past a certain point will look the same. Here's praying they go for very narrow categorization so e.g. short shorts have less space than proper pants, but it doesnt make much difference between blue jeans or black cargo pants. But of course we haven't seen much yet, and I like what I saw :D

Unless they want to make a gear interface where the charater model is the interface and you move items into pockets and stuff like that, a system that sounds cool on paper but is usually doomed by it's short-comings, I hope they take a look at Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 (community modded version) LBE-Gear system and how it's implemented:

- rudimentary inventory space on character + the usual weapon / armor slots

- optional body vests in different shapes with different combinations of pockets, e.g. one with 4 AR-sized magazine pockets, 2 utility pockets and a misc pocket

- optional leg-strapped pouches on both legs with different combinations of pockets, e.g. one with 2 grenade slots, 1 mag slot and 1 water bottle slot, or one with room for 1 MG belt mag + 1 canteen or grenade

- optional carry-on bag with different combinations of, e.g. 3 items of any size be it weapons or generic items or 2 items of any size + 2 slots for normal sized items

- optional backpacks of varying size / space allocation that cannot be worn when a carry-on bag is worn. you can't climb up ladders and extreme stuff like that with your backpack on. you have to unzip it to get stuff out, so it takes some time and requires being stationary

- All of the bags have their own weight additional to the contents' weight, need to be found as seperate items, and total weight slows the character down and speeds up fatigue

This may be a little bit too militaryesque for DayZ, but it's a good starting ground. In fact, I never get tired of repeating that DayZ can learn many a thing from Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 in terms of how to make a great inventory/item/attachment/durability system.

Also, I disagree on your order :P Besides the humor, clearly #1 is changing stuff to be handled by the server. This was inevitable, so it's good to see progress on it.

Swamps being hives for disease is a foregone conclusion. They are swamps, for christ's sake. They're not known for being clean. The reward being plenty of places to fill canteens, and if I understood the medical updates right, we can probably expect to find plenty of medicinal herbs in there.

And the list was made almost entirely for humor. I just wanted to make a joke about Matt but still mention something worth commenting on.

• Like 2

Swamps being hives for disease is a foregone conclusion. They are swamps, for christ's sake. They're not known for being clean. The reward being plenty of places to fill canteens, and if I understood the medical updates right, we can probably expect to find plenty of medicinal herbs in there.

And the list was made almost entirely for humor. I just wanted to make a joke about Matt but still mention something worth commenting on.

Fair enough ;) What, what, what? What's that I hear about medicinal herbs? Can you grab me a link? I seem to have missed that.

It's going to be a lot more in depth.

As if DayZ hasn't already consumed enough of my life, it's going to be a whole new ball game when the SA is released.

The new graphics, the shading, the better textures alone will make it feel like a different game.

But now you add more open houses and buildings with more unique looting locations on top of that?

I really can't wait until they show off the updated "walkers", I really, really hope they tweaked the hell out of the zombies.

Slowed down their running speed a bit, fixed their animations ETC.

• Like 1

Tbh, I doubt they'll show the new zeds for a while, since those will sorta make or break the standalone.

Anyone else went like "why is he standing in front of that house talking about loot? that one can't be entered" for a second until you realized they probably changed that?

Fair enough ;) What, what, what? What's that I hear about medicinal herbs? Can you grab me a link? I seem to have missed that.

I don't remember where it's from, but I know there's going to be a lot of real-life diseases, and you are going to show different symptoms for them, and different medication is required for different things. I highly doubt they're going to make all of this stuff just spawn in a hospital, because that would defeat the purpose of introducing them. Medical herbs are the only thing that would make sense in the way of healing you and not being found inside a hospital. Plus they were very excited to showcase the swamp. What else would really make the swamp THAT worthwhile?

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 2

I don't remember where it's from, but I know there's going to be a lot of real-life diseases, and you are going to show different symptoms for them, and different medication is required for different things. I highly doubt they're going to make all of this stuff just spawn in a hospital, because that would defeat the purpose of introducing them. Medical herbs are the only thing that would make sense in the way of healing you and not being found inside a hospital. Plus they were very excited to showcase the swamp. What else would really make the swamp THAT worthwhile?

As hunting/trapping grounds? Hang a few animal traps in those trees there, come back later to gather the meat. Swamps are full of life, just have to reach down and grab it.

But yea, different diseases sound cool.

• Like 1

As hunting/trapping grounds? Hang a few animal traps in those trees there, come back later to gather the meat. Swamps are full of life, just have to reach down and grab it.

But yea, different diseases sound cool.

Full of life, including botanical life. It just makes too much sense!

I don't think loot will be harder, it will just be different. Obviously in the demonstration it was showing cans of bean which are a little easier to pick up than say a magazine or a box of matches. I applaud them for this direction, but it should also mean that things will be much more abundant as there are just so many locations for loot and so many buildings with loot; so in essence looting will be easier.

Unless every single home you go into is filled with empty tin cans...

Yeah the loot idea is very interesting! Now there's the dilemma of do you loot quicker and hit more places up or take your time, possibly not going to as many places but searching more thoroughly? Every little detail makes this game much more epic.

It's going to be a lot more in depth.

As if DayZ hasn't already consumed enough of my life, it's going to be a whole new ball game when the SA is released.

The new graphics, the shading, the better textures alone will make it feel like a different game.

But now you add more open houses and buildings with more unique looting locations on top of that?

I really can't wait until they show off the updated "walkers", I really, really hope they tweaked the hell out of the zombies.

Slowed down their running speed a bit, fixed their animations ETC.

He never said anything about slowing them down silly goose. :)

I hear none of the Bohemia Guys wear pants at work.

Damn, I should have added "run around without pants" under activities on my CV...

Edited by Elvaron
  • Like 1

He never said anything about slowing them down silly goose. :)

No, I said I HOPE.

Those bastards looked goofy when they were running so fast that it looked like they were ice skating. ;)

• Like 2

The main things that I want to see are the new zombie animations/style and the new inventory system. If they squash bugs, limit hacks, handle servers internally, and improve the navigation of the UI... Wow. GOTY

• Like 1

No, I said I HOPE.

Those bastards looked goofy when they were running so fast that it looked like they were ice skating.

If you read your OP (before you edit it) you said you hoped they tweaked the hell out of zombies, the statement about them being slower was before the word hope was even thrown into the sentence, grammar for the win! rocket already said he is not going to be slowing down the zombies period they are supposed to be scary, as for them "Ice Skating" you have one hell of a imagination, He said that they are redoing the animations for the zombies as well as their path finding A.I. :)

Edited by Nomadic Nut

If you read your OP (before you edit it) you said you hoped they tweaked the hell out of zombies, the statement about them being slower was before the word hope was even thrown into the sentence, grammar for the win! rocket already said he is not going to be slowing down the zombies period they are supposed to be scary, as for them "Ice Skating" you have one hell of a imagination, He said that they are redoing the animations for the zombies as well as their path finding A.I. :)

Word for word I said this...

"I really, really hope they tweaked the hell out of the zombies.

Slowed down their running speed a bit, fixed their animations ETC."

You misread it, and/or interpreted what I said wrong.

I never stated for fact that they slowed them down, and never said for fact that they will.

I was simply implying what I hoped to see in the next dev diary.

Cheers.

#1:

Matt Lightfoot does not like to wear pants.

I do like to wear pants, unless they are jeans. Jeans cut into your legs like ice axes when wet and are fairly heavy with limited practical use, where is the logic?

• Like 5

I do my best work sans pants.

Living right next to the Everglades I can tell you swamps are NOT friendly. We're lucky Chernarus doesnt have gators.