DerMarv

[Standalone] Quickjoin/No server list

I think one of the biggest problems in Dayz is that everybody has already seen everything. So the normal Dayz player nowadays is like this:

" ah cool spawned in cherno! 70 other players on the server... i better run like hell through cherno so the snipers cant kill me that easy... lol zombies, sweet!... oh cool found a revolver!... lets shoot this guy right there in the face ... hes unarmed :) PEWPEW... run run run run... sniper,headshot,dead!... (RESPAWN) "ah cool spawned in Elektro let's do the same here!...

The point is that the players know how many other players are on the server at the moment and how big the chance is to get killed if he plays DZ the way it should be played... Same for bandits/snipers... as a bandit you just join a full server to camp ppl in stary or nwa or Cherno or Elektro etc. And you know the chance to kill ppl there even if they are unarmed is very high...

Remember your first days in Chernarus? Your hands shaking, creepy zombie sounds, sneaking, NIGHTTIME!, flashlights, flares. I mean its so fuckn creepy to sneak around in the night, with a flashlight,finding a small village trying to find food in it to survive the night etc... There's not even nighttime anymore... and if there is nighttime you just raise gamma+brightness+HDR so you don't have to use your flashlight cuz there are 70 other players on the server! They will shoot you. Theres's no survival anymore its just Call of Duty with a feature called zombies.

Let's imagine there was NO server browser... you could build groups with your friends out of game, so you can join the same server but you dont know how many ppl are playing on it... If there was no chat or playerlist, then there wouldn't be any fuckn bandit campers cuz they wouldn't know if there are ppl on the server or not.

Wouldn't it be super exiting to play DZ the way it should be played? Use your flashlight, use flares... sneak into villages, kill zombies, find loot, SURVIVE! it would be something special to meet another player. Not like "OH here's another dude... lets kill him"

DZ is a zombie apocalypse simulation!

Honestly, If there really was a zombie Apocalypse, why would anyone spend his entire day camping with a sniper rifle, trying to kill unsuspecting and unarmed people for no reason at all?

Make DZ a zombie survival game again: One where you don't see shit at night, where you don't know how many people are out there, whether you are safe or not, where you can go, where you can't go, who is friend and who is foe. That's what DZ used to be about, and that's what it should be about.

All in all, Dayz's most thrilling experience is its random ambients/situations/circumstances, so why not just focus it more on this unique feature. Give the players everytime they play a new and unpredictable scenario! randomize it, dont criticize it!

EDIT1:

-Dayz should seperate "QuickJoin" servers and private servers from the list to provide more balanced and fair games.

EDIT2:

-After joining a "Quickjoin" server your current character will be locked to this until he dies.

-You're able to join a "Quickjoin" server if a friend of yours is playing on it, BUT you cant see any serverinfo.

EDIT3:

-No complete empty server.

EDIT4:

-Remember that empty "quickjoin"-servers won't be empty for a long time. As the server is near its maximum player capacity, a new one gets created and will be filled with new quickjoin players.

Another additional idea might be that to make all characters locked to the server until they dies. So you can´t switch to another server without loosing all of your character´s status/gear. (excluding private/non-quickjoin Servers) This also prevents all sorts of server hopping.

Edited by DerMarv
  • Like 5

Let's imagine there was NO server browser... you could build groups with your friends out of game, so you can join the same server but you dont know how many ppl are playing on it...

I would actually be very happy with it, as long as the group didn't spawn in any special way. (ie. Near each other.)

I agree , servers with side chat are fucking horrid , but many people like it because it's "convenient" and "helpful" , and hopefully SA will eradicate it ( yeah I want to see all you side chatters punished ) .

I understand where you are coming from with this post , but I much prefer to play on servers with at least 20 people , and I also want to play on the server of my choice ( usually some sort of private hive ) , or a server where I have a tent or a vehicle .

As for new thrills , I think you would find yourself wandering alone a good 99% of the time , there is a lot of empty servers out there .

@Jars, the thrill is NOT to know if there are actually any other players on the server that I am currently playing on. For example imagine you approaching Stary Sobor (as we all know one of the hot spots) and you have no idea if there is any player around. Its completley random. So you never know what you can expect. How will you proceed?

It brings all Dayz Players back to the time when we start playing this game, and hey, wasnt that one of the best time we ever experienced?

Edited by Kirby_TWC

NO THIS IS BAD.

Imagine joining servers where you are by yourself but do not know. Either that or make it so that you can set a filter to only display servers with certain brackets but no exact number. i.e 10+ 20+ 35+ etc.

NO THIS IS BAD.

Imagine joining servers where you are by yourself but do not know. Either that or make it so that you can set a filter to only display servers with certain brackets but no exact number. i.e 10+ 20+ 35+ etc.

alright, make a compromise, add a "minimum player count" filter so you can make sure not to join empty servers. but do remember, joining an empty servers doesnt mean that it will be empty for all time! ;)

I really like the idea of the "DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING"...because, well, this is what dayz was made for.

alright, make a compromise, add a "minimum player count" filter so you can make sure not to join empty servers. but do remember, joining an empty servers doesnt mean that it will be empty for all time! ;)

I really like the idea of the "DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING"...because, well, this is what dayz was made for.

I agree with you, I feel that if you don't know how many people are around, it keeps you on edge. However my one hate would be spending 3 hours on a server only to find out you are all alone. I support your idea aslong as I can join a server with more than 5 people :)

I can't really see this as being workable , I can understand your angle , but I have no desire to play on empty servers , that's not thrilling , that's just dull .

No. I see where you are coming from, but imagine if you're the only person on the server. That would be ridiculously boring.

@Jars, the thrill is NOT to know if there are actually any other players on the server that I am currently playing on. For example imagine you approaching Stary Sobor (as we all know one of the hot spots) and you have no idea if there is any player around. Its completley random. So you never know what you can expect. How will you proceed?

It brings all Dayz Players back to the time when we start playing this game, and hey, wasnt that one of the best time we ever experienced?

Anytime I go anywhere I make sure to check my surroundings because a player can be anywhere and it doesn't matter if there is 1 person on the map or 50. So, just as you are suggesting I do anyway.

No. I see where you are coming from, but imagine if you're the only person on the server. That would be ridiculously boring.

As I said, remember that empty "quickjoin"-servers won't be empty for a long time. As the server is near its maximum player capacity, a new one gets created and will be filled with new quickjoin players.

Another additional idea might be that to make all characters locked to the server until they dies. So you can´t switch to another server without loosing all of your character´s status/gear. (excluding private/non-quickjoin Servers) This also prevents all sorts of server hopping.

I think we should give this suggestion a chance. All in all it´s not a bad idea, it just needs a little bit more work out.

Can I "quick join" my server with my tent every time I like ?

Or the server with the Jeep I saw a few hours ago ?

Can I "quick join" my server with my tent every time I like ?

Or the server with the Jeep I saw a few hours ago ?

as long as your character is alive all of your stats/equip will be saved and you will automatically rejoin the same server everytime you click quick join. if you die you will loose everything and gain the possibility respawn on a different "quick join" server.

Edited by Kirby_TWC

This actually sounds really awesome. That would make serverhopping and sniping pointless and make group play much more exciting.

Great idea, but having a chance of getting a new server if you die might be somewhat pointless since you can just respawn and sign out. You can just have an option after pressing quick join (or just "Start" as this Should be the standard way of playing) you can have 2 options, "Fresh Start"- meaning new/random server or "Continue" - connecting to the last server you played on.

...Or have the last 3 server you've played on

Great idea, but having a chance of getting a new server if you die might be somewhat pointless since you can just respawn and sign out.

What I wanted to say is, that you would never know on which server you spawn when creating a new character after death. (except you use the mentioned buddylist function, that gives you the chance to spawn on your buddy´s server) The reason why you always get a new server after respawn are the different scenarios the servers come with to provide 100% unpredictability. But, yep, still pretty unsure about this feature though...

You can just have an option after pressing quick join (or just "Start" as this Should be the standard way of playing) you can have 2 options, "Fresh Start"- meaning new/random server or "Continue" - connecting to the last server you played on.

I agree with that. Sounds legit.

edit: spelling

Edited by Kirby_TWC