Diz (DayZ)

Who Else Thinks 1.7.5.1 Pushes Annoyance and Survival Too Far?

I will say that the Abort function is either a bit buggy or a bit excessive. I had a red chain "no message for..." thing happen to me just as someone was trying to help me out and I was stuck... couldn't abort because, apparently, you can't abort when you are next to another player - there's an actual message stating that you can't abort next to another player. Have also found instances where nothing is happening around me and I can't abort... no timer, no nothing... the Abort option just dims and I'm stuck. I suppose some clarification should be made for what puts you in combat.

One thing to note, aborting has allowed me to survive many a hacker teleport. Being unable to abort because of pretty much anything you do only makes us more susceptible to hacker attacks. I think abort limitations should be only for combat related things: zombie aggro, zombie hits, someone fires near you, someone fires at you (either hitting you or a bullet hits near you). Anything more than that is excessive and unnecessary, in my opinion.

I think the empty cans thing is cool. Just one more way to track my prey!

The crazy zombie agro is a good thing IMHO. Some jerk took a shot at me from outside the Cherno Supermarket and he was instantly set upon by a half dozen zombies.

• Like 1

After some playing, it seems to me there is far more junk by scavenging than before and much less canned food and cans. Matches? Forget them and without matches no boiled water bottles and cooked meat.

That means in order to survive you have two options: kill zombies (shoot and aggro them on purpose, enter a building/barn, kill them with the hatchet one by one until you can collect more gear than in a supermarket) or hunt other players for their beans.

Actually the new patch gives more reasons than before to go PvP.

It is meant to be hard because it is apocalypse zombie survival, fine. But to make it hard because you can die for stupid reasons (e.g. horde of zombies coming from km away and passing walls to hit you) is merely annoying.

I'll probably look for a 1.7.4.4 server and downgrade. Strangely there are more and more 1.7.4.4 servers coming back.

_Anubis_

I like the new patch but I have read some issues where there might need some tweaks to a few spots due to a bug here or there.

The over all direction i like.

I know someone mention matches- I wonder if they can make matches more common but there is a number of uses - you can find matches with 1-3 uses left.

This will allow players to get matches more often but they are still a limit resource where you might have 1-3 match sticks.

I love the survival aspect of the game, tbh I prefer to at during the day when the aus and nz servers are quieter so I can play it as a zombie survival game and not worry about getting killed by another player for no reason camping in the bunkers in nwaf. I love the different kinda of meat and boiling the water. Being on survival mode. Shove pvp up your bum

I love the survival aspect of the game, tbh I prefer to at during the day when the aus and nz servers are quieter so I can play it as a zombie survival game and not worry about getting killed by another player for no reason camping in the bunkers in nwaf. I love the different kinda of meat and boiling the water. Being on survival mode. Shove pvp up your bum

@ logan - That match limit would make for a better experience, but I don't know if loot is able to spawn items less than full. (magazines are another example)

It's definitely a standalone thing, if it does come to DayZ.

on- topic

There were quite a few new features added, so of course it'll be a little bugged ATM. but it's understandable that people don't like glitches.

I just don't understand how people can complain so much about everything else. It's just the way the game is progressing.

It's not going to be the same as this forever, same as we always knew it was going to change over time. It's the nature of the beast.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

@ logan - That match limit would make for a better experience, but I don't know if loot is able to spawn items less than full. (magazines are another example)

It's definitely a standalone thing, if it does come to DayZ.

on- topic

There were quite a few new features added, so of course it'll be a little bugged ATM. but it's understandable that people don't like glitches.

I just don't understand how people can complain so much about everything else. It's just the way the game is progressing.

It's not going to be the same as this forever, same as we always knew it was going to change over time. It's the nature of the beast.

What if they do what they did with the can of soda.\

You drink the can and get a empty can.

In theory you could make a match box with value of 2 and a match book with a value of 1.

They would be seen as two different items- alter the icon of the match book so it can be seen as different.

Then if you pick up a Matchbook with value of 2.

Then you use the match book to create a fire.

The match book would use the same code as the soda to tin can but this time- it removes matchbook value icon and replace it with the match book value1.

Player makes another fire with the matchbook value1 then after it is destroyed from inventory.

This should solve the issue.

Spawn loot table would now have two matchbook Item lines.

Code just spawns loot as usual and grabs a match book valueX item just as if it goes and pulls a soda or whisky bottle.

It could be done. But it's more a matter of whether or not it's deemed a worthwhile cause.

For the function of the mod, the current system works reasonably well. Or well enough.

I'm for more emphasis on survival personally, as long as it is done right and brings a new level of enjoyment to the game.

But then again if someone made Mountain Man Simulator 2013 I would probably be the first to buy it.

It could be done. But it's more a matter of whether or not it's deemed a worthwhile cause.

For the function of the mod, the current system works reasonably well. Or well enough.

With the increase in use for fire- need matches.

This would be a way to allow more matches but keep anyone from having unlimited - or using them like you will never run out.

Tried to get two friends to play. It ended horribly in both accounts due to update changes. Can't blame them though, I am 1-2 deaths away from leaving myself.

Quite liked everything that changed. About cans, I dont think they need to stick to inventory automatically but rather be found on the ground to be picked if needed. Would be great if they were for first hour or so in the pristine look, and after that they looked old, rusty. And that there would be used cans only when someone dropped them, not have them spawn at all.

Zombies, not sure if random occurence, but when I run away from them and went into a house waiting to have easier time dealing with them, they ran past the building, which I dont remember happened to me before. When I saw one walking back past the house, thought it would be great if instead of giving up they picked a random house nearby and went looking inside the windows and youd need to be hidden for them to go away.

Nice, I can see the number of kills again. Ive suggested this before, but it would be nice if you needed to go to the body youve killed, and pick an identifying tag from them to have a confirmed kill. Those tags would stick to you, and so once you get killed, people inspecting your body would be able to see whom youve killed. Unless you get to your body first and hide it. For that and other reasons would like if, once you die you couldnt go back to that server for some time, maybe 30 mins.

Regarding the zombies:

I just started as a fresh spawn yesterday.

Ran through Cherno and Elektro, visiting Shops, Firestations, Hospitals and lots a residential areas.

Heck, i even fired my Enfield (gasp!)

Yes, you aggro them more easily, if you pull one, you will most likely pull a bunch, and they are abit harder to get away from using LOS.

But, the zombies are still stupid as always and in generel not that big of a deal.

However, i didnt kill many because i didnt have too, so i cant say ive noticed anything about the respawn timer of them.

• Like 2

hi,

I didn't play the new patch yet. But what I have read in the log file looks good to me and goes in the right direction. Community devs definitely did a great job with all those new features. New players needs to keep in mind that it is a slow placed realistic survival game where you have to think before doing something or you may die and come back to the beach with nothing. Even if you are careful you can be unlucky and die as well. The more parameters you have to think about the better. DayZ is a "new" game kind and break the game industry rules, that's why some players can lose their marks and finally give up because it's too hard and you have to train and work to be good.

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller
  • Like 1

Just my 2 cents;

- I love the amount of zombies

- I love the fact that they are spawned in a building aswell

- Love the fact that they follow you in a building aswell

I got raped by zombies 4 times last day, because i got trapped inside a house by 10+ zombies and i went beserk. I ran out of ammo quickly and got killed. It seems that surviving rambo style doesn't work anymore, which is a great thing!

But, i do think the zombies are too overpowered during daylight. Imho:

- There should be more ways of distracting zombies instead of just smoke grenades.

- In case you DO want to fight the zombies, there should be a way to clean out the area temporarily. I was at NWA and even with a MK48/M249 SAW going beserk on the Z didnt do anything, they kept coming from all directions. After shooting 200+ zombies they kept coming. I make this point because imho there should be two pretty safe ways to loot a city: kill all the zombies or go stealth.

- The handguns make attract way too many Z. When shooting a makarov shot in a city i have a guarantee i will attract 20+ Z. For the Z there seems to be no difference anymore between the sound of a makarov and a M107.

Just my 2 cents;

I got raped by zombies 4 times last day, because i got trapped inside a house by 10+ zombies and i went beserk. I ran out of ammo quickly and got killed. It seems that surviving rambo style doesn't work anymore, which is a great thing!

- There should be more ways of distracting zombies instead of just smoke grenades.

- In case you DO want to fight the zombies, there should be a way to clean out the area temporarily. I was at NWA and even with a MK48/M249 SAW going beserk on the Z didnt do anything, they kept coming from all directions. After shooting 200+ zombies they kept coming. I make this point because imho there should be two pretty safe ways to loot a city: kill all the zombies or go stealth.

- The handguns make attract way too many Z. When shooting a makarov shot in a city i have a guarantee i will attract 20+ Z. For the Z there seems to be no difference anymore between the sound of a makarov and a M107.

I've used a gun to distract zombies before... of course, you should plan on doing this before you head to where you need to be. I've fired off a rifle, ran around some buildings to make sure they don't have - or keep - line of sight on me... and they just go right by. Then I head out to where I need to go.

You can go stealth. Use a stealth weapon and you won't get the constant onslaught of zombies. I just spent a few hours fixing up a Little Bird I found in Cherno on a private server. It needed everything. I completely fixed it, including the glass. All by my lonesome, just me and the zeds... getting aggro with every repair and on most of the refueling until there were no more in the area. Just me and my hatchet. Granted it was night and this helped, but night time doesn't hurt their hearing and when they hear you, they suddenly see you, too. Clearing the close vicinity of zombies with the hatchet before repairing an item helped. And, if I saw a zombie I knew might aggro when I did the repair, I took it out before doing the repair. If I figured a zombie was going to end up in the path I needed to take to a particular building, I took it out before it became a problem. Once the heli was fixed and refueled, I flew to Stary and cleared that out... getting my M14 and coyote backpack. Then I hit the NWAF, cleared that out. Then Vybor - where I picked up a crossbow... and then off home to log off.

I took some hits, but found that if I did a "stick and move" - pulling back just after I swing, the zeds either missed or I didn't get hit too hard. I particularly enjoyed taking out 3 closely grouped zeds with the hatchet - bing, bang, boom... it was over in a second or so. I also enjoyed the Bonzai!! run right at a zombie and Chop! I'm having a hard time accessing the leaderboard, so I can't tell you how many I killed, but it was quite a few.

Even during the day... best way to deal with zombies is to work outside their peripheral vision and, if you see a potential problem with a zombie in your way, take care of it before it aggros. I will walk behind a zombie until I'm close enough to hack it in 1st person, zoomed. And, walking behind them, you can get that close even during the day.

I agree to some extent about the hearing... a zed shouldn't be able to hear you eating or refueling (well, maybe refueling if they are really close)... neither of these activities is particularly loud.

But, guns should set them going, in my opinion.

Edited by entspeak

@OP

DayZ has always given that 'authentic' experience, the changes that make it harder are, if you look closely at them actually making the game more 'authentic'. Eating beans WOULD leave an empty can, duh. Stopping a car in the middle of a Z infested town IS stupid, duh. Sticking to the forest would probably increase your survival odds. And infections would be rife. And I get the feeling that with the SA and it's subsequent updates, things will become more like this.

Just my 2 cents;

All this seems sensible to me and I agree on all points. While I like the idea of the game getting even harder I still want it to be a game that I can have eventually fun with. I say eventually as its pretty brutal for newspawns as well newbies. (That's ok too, I mean learn or die)

Though I've always wondered why there's still arent any small, home made explosives like boobie traps and small pack of C4 or whatever. (like in ACE mod)

Furthermore, (and due to balancing issues I now may be pushing too far) even though the weapon is already modeled and ready, the inclusion of grenade launcher like M32 is missing. Make it as uber rare weaponery but IMHO it should be there.

Suppressed weaponery should be IMHO bit more common as well.

Personally I find it EASIER to avoid zombies as well as make them stop following me after this patch.

What is the OP smoking?

• Like 1

I'll clear my opinion.

What I think this patch did was a one step in the right direction with the zombies. The zombies make a horde again and firing a gun brings you some bad time, but this patch went bit over the board with that. It just takes little tweaking in ranges and it will be near perfect and that's what the devs are now doing. I believe the next hotfix shows how hard the zombies should be in DayZ. I really enjoy this patch because I see the potential again in this.

Ok so far the biggest concern ppl have is the zeds. So this is where we are

Community Notes:

Affected addons:

* dayz_code

* dayz_sfx

Community Change log:

* [NEW] - Added a 2 minite delay to new zeds spawning once MaxLocal zeds fall's below the acceptable level.

* [NEW] - Added new sfx for chopping wood.

* [uPDATED] - loot weighted array generation fixed.

* [uPDATED] - Updated logout system to check radius of zeds from 50 meters to 25 meters

* [uPDATED] - Player range on logout to 6 meters.

* [uPDATED] - Max Range of targats 120 meters down from 300 meters. (this should help long range agro).

* [uPDATED] - AI behavour updated to try making them zigzag less.

* [FIXED] - Zeds will talk to other zeds within 80 meters down from 200 meters (FIXED)

* [FIXED] - CookedBeef StringTables now added.

* [FIXED] - Spanish, French StringTables updated.

* [FIXED] - logout timers updated from sleep 3 to sleep 1 this should now fix long logout timers.

* [FIXED] - Zeds should no longer walk though objects.

* [REMOVED] - Chase combat logging systems removed.

Seems legit. Thanks for listening to us.

Edited by Diz