Diz (DayZ)

Who Else Thinks 1.7.5.1 Pushes Annoyance and Survival Too Far?

Oh well yeah lets forget about simulation then and lets just have weapons that never break or run out of ammo. Lets all have jetpacks as well.

They want to make it as realistic as possible. So all you people saying its not realistic zombies are not real then why make all these realistic changes. why make it so you need to drink or eat to stay alive. WHY? because its meant to be close to a simulator. There is so much in ARMA that is not realistic at all. so stop complaining about people who want to add more realistic properties in to the game. its meant to be close to realistic. If you dont like it then its not the game for you. If you have no idea what happens in a catastrophic event then have a real think about it and think of actions on and how an event would be handled.

What?

I think he means bring the whole realistic thing in to it and how zombies are not real. Like i said in my post the game is meant to be close to realistic. people want to add more realisim in to the game. then when something gets brought up that is realistic people say ohhh zombies are not real you cant make it realistic. too much contradiction. My point is they want to make it realistic hence temperature control and getting sick. why not add a more realistic property in to the game such as mental health and how an actual real life event would be assessed.

if it was realistic people would not be lone wolf hunting other players. People who play this game like its COD hate these real suggestions being brought in to the game because all they want to do it PVP.

Edited by spawn
  • Like 1

I think he means bring the whole realistic thing in to it and how zombies are not real. Like i said in my post the game is meant to be close to realistic. people want to add more realisim in to the game. then when something gets brought up that is realistic people say ohhh zombies are not real you cant make it realistic. too much contradiction. My point is they want to make it realistic hence temperature control and getting sick. why not add a more realistic property in to the game such as mental health and how an actual real life event would be assessed

If that is what he meant, he completely missed the point I was raising. As I was saying, a video game can only go so far in terms of realism. You can't have 20.000 different items because it takes a lifetime or a fortune to have that much original art created. You can't have realistic pacing or it would take you a few hours of real time to fix a car engine. There will always be a layer of abstraction, and finding the sweet spot on how to abstract and what to abstract is key to setting the tone.

By that I'm not saying realism is bad or realism is good, nor am I making any comment on zombies vs realism. It's a general statement about video games. It's just not possible to be 100% realistic. Medical needs of a character are abstracted down to 6 needs: overall health (blood), blunt trauma (broken legs), open wound (bleeding), having any kind of bacterial or viral infection (disease), mental state (painkillers) and consciousness (passing out). A simple 0-100 health meter would not be realistic enough. Requiring a medical dictionary/degree to know how to diagnose what's wrong with your character and treat it would be going too far.

On all levels you have to find the sweet spot between realism and video game, there is no difference in that regard to any other kind of digital simulation or game, just weighted differently.

The same is true for pseudo-realistic parts of the game, like zombie spawning behavior. Fully realistic simply isn't possible until standalone, but endless waves doesn't quite cut it either.

That being said, I remain on my original position from page 4 of this thread, none of these changes that fidget with balancing between realism and abstraction make or break this game or solve anything until/unless the big problems I listed there are fixed.

As to "People who play this game like its COD", I hope it is clear by my statements I do not consider myself such a person. Hell, I haven't even played any COD game. In fact, I despise it's name being used in a manner to categorize people. To put it into simple words, I'm too old for this shit. Still, criticism of changes should be taken at face value and not shrugged off as "PvP player QQ". At least in my case, it isn't meant to bitch and whine about the game but give the community devs some sort of feedback on how their players pick up on the changes. How else will they be able to gauge what works and what doesn't.

Edited by Elvaron
  • Like 1

So what some people are saying is that if its impossible to play solo then coop with others, this makes perfect sense, so if they make the game so annoying and hard that you need at least 10 friends to play the whole time together its just great, you only have to get 10 people online with you all the time.

Now seriously what about stopping to give really really stupid solutions, if people want to play solo and most people want to play solo, then why shouldn't they!?

Its just that its impossible to sneak into anywhere anymore, unless you crawl all the time, but afaik this is a game, as in, NOT YOUR REAL LIFE, so I speak for myself and I think for most people with a life, we don't want to spend 1 hour crawling around to get two cans of food and a bandage, no thank you.

sure playing solo is a must. i mean otherwise if you needed 10 people to play at once it would be hard to get everyone online all the time. But I think certain characters need to have skills. not everyone be a chopper pilot, not everyone being a mechanic, everyone seems to be qualified in every single weapon so why not have a character who cant stand up holding a 20 + kg 50 cal in the shoulder for 3 hours without it moving. This would mean character customization. Or instead of character customization make it so when you first spawn in you are a crap shot, every zombie kill you get you get better aim. 1000 zombie kills and your shooting skills are a lot better. same with fixing cars. instead of putting an engine in maybe it fails and you have to get another one. I know some of these cant me implemented in ARMA but for the stand alone. some can be added in now but

There has to be a balance between fun and 100% realism. With this patch I think it went a little over the line.

Before everyone runs in to say "QQ more herp derp i cant actually think", let me elaborate.

If you want 100% realism "Mountain Man Simulator 2013", sorry you will never get it. Not in this game, or ArmA 3, or anything in the foreseeable future. But here are my ideas for the 100% real mountain man simulator:

If you break your leg you have to wait 6+ real time weeks before you can walk again.

If you want a blood transfusion you better make sure you can accept the donors blood type, otherwise you die! Want to know your blood type? Too bad, it's the apocalypse and lab equipment is long gone.

You take the chance with bloodtypes anyways only to realize that neither you or your buddy were an EMT/Nurse/Medic etc.

Eating nothing but meat, pasta, and beans? Die of scurvy.

Got shot in the leg once? The intense pain causes you stop everything you were doing previously. If you manage to stay conscious you have only a few minutes to stop the bleeding (Ignoring the EMT argument from before for a minute). Even if you survive the ordeal you now permanently walk slower, after the 6+ weeks of not moving while you recover.

Have to stop to urinate/defecate.

First time picking up a weapon, and you can't stop shaking, you miss consistently, and 1/whatever chance it flies out of your hand because you weren't holding it right.

Drink soda to hydrate? Actually dehydrates you AND you get diabetes.

Those are just the few ideas I had off the top of my head. The whole point is that DayZ is a GAME (a simulation is still a game) and will never be 100% true to life and never should be. This patch pushes things into the realm of annoying getting closer to just plain not fun.

Edited by night_chrono
  • Like 6

too much realism will ruin the game. simulators are not fun. has anyone here played VBS ? its not that fun. Its an Australian army simulator we sometimes would play for an fun training exercise or MRE at one point I did. But many realistic features can be implemented which would make the game harder and more fun as it would have achievable goals

• Like 1

There has to be a balance between fun and 100% realism. With this patch I think it went a little over the line.

Before everyone runs in to say "QQ more herp derp i cant actually think", let me elaborate.

If you want 100% realism "Mountain Man Simulator 2013", sorry you will never get it. Not in this game, or ArmA 3, or anything in the foreseeable future. But here are my ideas for the 100% real mountain man simulator:

If you break your leg you have to wait 6+ real time weeks before you can walk again.

If you want a blood transfusion you better make sure you can accept the donors blood type, otherwise you die! Want to know your blood type? Too bad, it's the apocalypse and lab equipment is long gone.

You take the chance with bloodtypes anyways only to realize that neither you or your buddy were an EMT/Nurse/Medic etc.

Eating nothing but meat, pasta, and beans? Die of scurvy.

Got shot in the leg once? The intense pain causes you stop everything you were doing previously. If you manage to stay conscious you have only a few minutes to stop the bleeding (Ignoring the EMT argument from before for a minute). Even if you survive the ordeal you now permanently walk slower, after the 6+ weeks of not moving while you recover.

Have to stop to urinate/defecate.

First time picking up a weapon, and you can't stop shaking, you miss consistently, and 1/whatever chance it flies out of your hand because you weren't holding it right.

Drink soda to hydrate? Actually dehydrates you AND you get diabetes.

Those are just the few ideas I had off the top of my head. The whole point is that DayZ is a GAME (a simulation is still a game) and will never be 100% true to life and never should be. This patch pushes things into the realm of annoying getting closer to just plain not fun.

The trade offs that you mention are exactly the things that come down on the side of fun rather than realism. You've made precisely zero point by saying any of that. If you're trying to suggest that because the things you've highlighted are more in the "fun game" camp rather than the "super accurate" camp that the changes that were made don't belong then sorry, but you're in the wrong game. The game is meant to be hard, it is not meant to hold your hand. It is meant to beat you around the face. That is the point of these changes and I am glad that games like this are succeeding. For far too long games have catered to folks like you who seem to want an easy ride through them.

Edited by Dankine

well sounds like some people have pro's and cons with it. I think that its good that the zombies are much more alert and you need to crawl more. But I also think they should not chase you for ever even when not in LOS. seeing you from much further away while you run is good. Maybe not while your crouched and walking as you are not so fast moving in this position. So I think that that's a positive. But hitting you whilst inside a car I don't think is unless they break the windows after a few hits. But has anyone here ever tried to punch through a car window? they are fucking hard and will most likely break your hand. sounds like the main issue is the PVP camping COD players who have no interest in surviving but only want to have a High PVP count. and of course the hackers

too much realism will ruin the game. simulators are not fun. has anyone here played VBS ? its not that fun. Its an Australian army simulator we sometimes would play for an fun training exercise or MRE at one point I did. But many realistic features can be implemented which would make the game harder and more fun as it would have achievable goals

You want realistic and fun changes? Here's a list, off the top of my head, keep in mind I did not consider what is impossible with the engine:

Controls:

- When holding shift, i.e. slow-walk mode, especially when crouched or prone, it shouldn't be possible to fall off a ledge/roof/similar. Pin the player to his current surface unless running.

- Getting stuck in narrow doorways / between two objects, and similar obstructions (that apparently arent such for zombies). This is either poor implementation or poor map design, but the way movement feels should give a clear indication of whether something is traversable or not.

- Add quick-assignments for weapons. When it's a weapon carried on the body (firearm / sidearm) change the weapon quickly, even when running, if it is in your backpack / the current firearm has to be switched out for a melee weapon, have the character stand still for a second. So many weapons / extra items are nigh useless because you can't get to them quickly enough when you'd need them.

- Give us the ability to cancel actions that require time, such as applying first aid or taking in nutrient, if necessary (zombie approaching) - with a random chance of whether the item is "lost" depending on how far you got (harder to stash away that open dose of coke). Currently it's glitchy behavior, not a real feature.

- The time it takes to do certain actions, like bandaging yourself, should be shorter when combat locked because of the adrenaline rush, but you pay for it, e.g. some blood lost because of your hectic bandaging.

- Add a key so, while pressed, the character will not fire his weapon while pointing at another player. Add some risk to it by having auto/burst weapons ignore that past the first round, turning semi into "safe firing mode". This would also aid in helping others get out of a zombie's hold (see below for zombie's grab&hold ability).

Interface:

- When opening the backpack, show the same interface as when doing it with a vehicle's gear selected, actually show the slots.

- Proper indication of how much will fit into a container (vehicle/tent/backpack/...) and stop the interaction rather than glitch all over the place.

- When an item has a special key assigned to work, e.g. flashlight / nightvision goggles / maps, have the mouseover description show the key assigned for it.

- When looking at a backpack you can switch out to, show the number of slots and whether it has more or less slots.

- Move max 1 flare/chemlight to toolbelt, they're easily carried alongside.

Vehicle:

- Player-held weapon firing from non-driver seat. Yes, it should be nigh impossible to hit anything while the car is moving, but it should be an option. Especially for quads and such.

- More realistic car damage. This isn't hollywood, driving into a wall may kill the engine, but it doesnt blow the entire car up. When damage CAN occur through risky maneuvering (running over a fence, making a jump), give it a random chance affected by what kind of car it is. A good pick-up can withstand a lot more bumps without requiring more than a car wash than what blows them up now.

- Newly spawned vehicles should have a far lower chance of being damaged than having the tank be empty. Windows broken? Yes. Everything totally broken? Unlikely.

- Give the option to salvage cars for parts / remaining fuel. Even a half-broken engine might have just the right parts to fix your other half-broken engine.

- Categorize parts. A bus engine works for a quad?

- If a spawned car IS entirely broken, spawn it in a place that makes sense, i.e. it was ran straight into a wall.

- Why no randomly spawned police cars / ambulances / fire trucks? So many opportunities to provide an obvious reason as to why a group of items may be spawned inside it.

- Motorhomes / Campers.

- Using a hose to fill up a vehicle near a fuel tank, running to the tank and back 50 times with a jerrycan to fill up a helicopter is fine, but if you take away the safety net provided by rotor diameter, it's impossible.

Items:

- Give the option to take clothes off dead zombies / dead players and wear them. Instantly you have so many more clothing options.

- New loot: Backpack attachment/toolbar item to carry 1 extra weapon "on you", carry your hatchet hanging off your belt etc, making it selectable without opening the inventory aswell (still takes the same inventory space, but it enables the quick-draw)

- Have the option to carry an empty backpack in your backpack/inventory. If I can carry a helicopter's main rotor assembly, I can carry an empty, folded up backpack.

- Performance enhancement drugs. Clearer aim / scoping with binoculars and such, resistent against exhaustion and sleep deprivation, but dehydrates faster and over-usage may incapacitate the character (give a message as to why he fell down and the timer comes up).

- Weapon/Gear degradation:

1.) Weapons don't just stop working after firing 100 rounds. They jam, but they rarely just fall apart. Add repair/cleaning kits to fight degradation that dont just get used up, but the process of cleaning a weapon should take a certain time determined by the weapon, a sniper rifle takes more than a few seconds for an amateur to break up, clean properly and put together into a working piece again. Also, precision weapons such as the mentioned sniper rifles need to be tuned in after reassembly to fire accurately / match the scope again.

2.) Either do it right, or don't do it at all. Just giving any usable item a 10.000 uses meter like with hatchets is not a fun feature

3.) Any item with degradation needs to be spawned in random condition.

4.) Silencers DO turn useless after a while.

- Ability to recycle emptied ammo magazines, allowing the use of ammo across a larger group of weapons, determined by caliber. Moving the bullets should take reasonable time.

- Ability to merge non-full magazines into a combined one (or a full one and an almost empty one if going over the capacity of that weapon's ammo magazine)

- (At a later point) Item attachments. What makes modern weapons great is the ability to add a multitude of attachments, from slings to silencers, muzzle flash suppressors, folding stocks, bipod / tripods, different scopes, bayonettes, under-barrel breaching shotguns and grenade launchers, even caliber conversion kits to have e.g. an AK-74 use STANAG magazines.

- Sub-sonic ammunition should be a beneficial kind of ammo, not the exclusive ammo, for silencer-mounted firearms.

- The crossbow. So many problems with the crossbow. A quiver is a nice addition, but so would be being able to easily get your bolts back. You have so many key combinations, add one where the character focuses on finding his bolts when stationary, and they light up for the player to see. Either move the bolts to a corpse's inventory or let us roll them over to get the bolt / have a mousewheel option to retrieve it when targetting the corpse.

- Booby-traps for doors / vehicles / containers.

- Claymores / mines / wiretraps.

- Improvised weapons. Hit a zombie with a sturdy tree branch / metal pipe / the back of your gun.

- Molotov cocktail. Turn that empty whiskey bottle + piece of cloth + fuel from a jerrycan = burn up those zombies.

- Ability to carry a bag alongside your sidearm / stash even your sidearm to carry two bags for temporarily increased carrying capacity. Bags ranging from grocery bags over duffle bags to weapon cases. By carry I mean in the physical world, not in the inventory.

Persistent world:

- When logging out in a vehicle, whether deliberately or because the server went down / your internet connection broke off, spawn them in a sensible position on login. If it's a helicopter, it will crash down, spawn the player in the air with the parachute open. For vehicles... NEVER spawn a player inside one. So many unwarranted broken legs.

- Sensible spawning. Simply having them spawn when you get near an interactive intangible, and respawn until the player moves away, is not a fun nor realistic approach. It works, but it could be so much better.

Cities should be literally flooded with zombies whose pathing would be far easier if they always move in walking speed, even when aggroed, and their sheer number would be the hindrance to get to loot, not their speed.

Smaller towns should have fewer numbers that move a bit faster.

Military sites should have reasonable numbers, after all this is AFTER the outbreak, but run as quick as they currently do.

The type of zombie, i.e. their appearance, should decide on how fast they can move.

When a set amount of zombies are killed in a certain location, it should take a reasonable time, not seconds, for new ones to appear. How long it takes could be determined by whether players died there (attracting supposed roamers by smell) and how loud players went about killing the zombies (attracting supposed roamers by hearing).

- Allow more resilient fortifications than tents and bundles of vehicles. Locked containers/vehicles that require a lockpick to get open.

Gameplay behavior:

- Exhaustion. Running straight for 4 hours isn't possible for the characters we currently play (jump off a container, always break your leg). Taking a short break from running to catch one's break would replenish it.

- Sleep deprivation. Humans have to sleep at least 4 hours a day, or they start to deteriorate mentally and physically, to the point of simply falling asleep on the spot. Sleeping in a tent / shelter is beneficial to replenish it.

- Active grouping with group members being shown on the map if both sides have a map or GPS and carry a radio. Group chat only when carrying a radio. Frequency scrambler so other people with a radio cant listen in on the frequency. Setting up traps that group members automatically avoid (the characters know it's there and refuse to open that door / automatically step over that wire).

- Infection. Being bitten/hit by a zombie has a small chance of infecting even the living, with no immediate indicator. When symptoms start to show, there is only a small window of opportunity to apply antibiotics (giving them more value) before the player loses control over the character and he turns into a zombie with a running speed even greater than that of a normal zombie, adding the "kill group member before he turns into a zombie" factor into the turmoil that is social behavior in DayZ.

- Differentiate between food/drink sources. Soda cans and such may fill up your drink meter, but it dehydrates far quicker afterwards. Only eating canned foods is unhealthy, there are plenty of vegetable gardens in the game and trees that could just be apple trees. Make them lootable, might even allow planting vegetables.

- Disguise yourself as a zombie by killing one and smearing it's blood all over your clothes. It will stink, attract flies, your character walks as slow as unaggroed zombies do, but they wont aggro you until you start running again.

- Every few minutes or so, if a player is close to a stationary vehicle or a tent, there's a chance for a zombie to spawn within a distance of 100-200m. There is no such thing as a safe place.

- Give the character skills (that reset on death) with varying fields: medical, firearms, vehicle repair, gutting/cooking, ... Everytime you perform an action in that field with a result (no free medical points for munching painkillers when you dont need em) the skill increases, improving your performance and lowering the chance for a mishap. Spawn books on various topics that you can read to slowly improve your skill to a certain degree, but it takes reasonable time to read (like 1 skill point per minute reading).

- Glasses / Contacts. When you spawn with a new character, there is a chance he is shortsighted and needs glasses or contact lenses to have proper vision on ranges of 100m+. They can get broken, then you have to find a new set.

- Add a bolt-cutter tool with which fences can be cut to create an open just like the ones occassionally placed already

- Add a fishing pole to go fishing.

- GPS / Flashlight / NVG / Rangefinder are electronic tools, so they need batteries. Batteries spawn with varying charges, and in two versions: non-rechargeable and rechargeable. Rechargeable ones can be reloaded at a slow rate if you find a handheld solar panel (you can attach them to your wrist, those exist in real life, but you're as likely to run into one as a range finder).

- The ghillie suit is just a wearable net, you have to attach trees and bushes to make it look good. Add 3 or so different models for the varying states.

- Different camo clothes and camouflage makeup (wood/urban/desert) to be found mostly at barracks, also a few uniforms to be found there.

- Civilian clothing variety

- That other tent type.

- Add a medic box, character can only carry either toolbox or medic box at one time. Medic box will hold up to 6 bandages, 6 out of morphine/pain killers/epi-pen/antibiotics and 2 blood bags (random example numbers)

- Hallucination: PTSD, or shell-shock, can set in randomly after certain bad things have happened to a character (he has passed out once, lost blood, broken his leg, been within 100m of a survivor getting killed). When it hits, he may see zombies where none are, he may perceive other survivors as zombies. Haloperidol or such could be a remedy for this, albeit rare. Chance of getting hit with this is weighted by distance from the default humanity (heroes and bandits are less likely to get affected, as they have deviated from normal response to the point of being adapted to the new state of the world)

NPCs:

- Give a max amount of zombies a client will calc for the server as to AI/pathing, then keep track of that stack of zombies even when moving out of range (>500m), having them stroll around, into the woods and whatnot. When new zombies have to be spawned due to location change, drop the oldest ones unless they can be taken over by another client.

- Slow down them zombies! Seriously, on times they run faster than player characters, they don't suffer any movement penalties. It's fine you don't want walkers because you'd need ridiculous amounts for them to be a serious danger, but the way pathing/ai glitches around, especially when another client handles the pathing, firearms turn into against-bandits-only items. See above for ideas on how to break it down, other than that, 50%-75% their current speed is enough.

- Instead of having zombies run at survivors' speeds and stopping to hit the dead air, have them grab and hold back the character, who has to struggle free. This may take some engine changes, but it's a game changer, too. It makes zombies more dangerous without having to give them the super speed / strength they currently possess.

- Have dead players rise as zombies after a random amount of time, with their appearance and gear (ghillie suit zombies!).

- Add living NPCs, from the hobo survivor to the sole remaining military checkpoint. Have them respond differently to player survivors depending on whether he's a bandit / survivor / hero and whether he's armed / lowering his weapon / actively firing / trying to take their resources.

Edited by Elvaron
  • Like 1

wow thats a lot. Read most of it and Some i think are good others I think are bad. putting a lot of these in the game will make it just too easy. while doing things. changing weapons instantly does not happen either. holstering a pistol and getting a weapon off your back or slung takes a few seconds. changing magazines takes a few seconds as well. I have fired thousands of round with machine guns and assault rifles and pistols I have experienced it. Many other positive and negative points I could add in but I think many people will pick them up.

wow thats a lot. Read most of it and Some i think are good others I think are bad. putting a lot of these in the game will make it just too easy. while doing things. changing weapons instantly does not happen either. holstering a pistol and getting a weapon off your back or slung takes a few seconds. changing magazines takes a few seconds as well. I have fired thousands of round with machine guns and assault rifles and pistols I have experienced it. Many other positive and negative points I could add in but I think many people will pick them up.

Yea, of course there's good and bad in it, it was off the top of my head ;) I didn't really mean instantly change weapons. I think I meant without stopping movement, currently if you switch weapons the character stops dead. If that cant be done animation-wise, make it instant but give the gun a waiting period before it's ready to be fired.

Ahh yeah I agree with that then. also you should be able to walk faster standing up while looking through telescopic or iron sights. The weapon should already be at action so its just the flick of the switch to go to instant to fire.

The trade offs that you mention are exactly the things that come down on the side of fun rather than realism. You've made precisely zero point by saying any of that. If you're trying to suggest that because the things you've highlighted are more in the "fun game" camp rather than the "super accurate" camp that the changes that were made don't belong then sorry, but you're in the wrong game. The game is meant to be hard, it is not meant to hold your hand. It is meant to beat you around the face. That is the point of these changes and I am glad that games like this are succeeding. For far too long games have catered to folks like you who seem to want an easy ride through them.

Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hooked+on+phonics&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4643670117&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6025740831526925219&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_72sofm5m5x_b

• Like 1

"It's not fair!!!". It kind of makes me think that would be the reality knocking in. I mean if you could really take an average person to a Zombie apocalypse, how would he/she feel in there trying to survive? I guess it would be a feeling of wanting to be anywhere else, feeling of "this is bullshit". Feeling of every little decision being of life and death and not wanting to do them, while realizing you have to do something.

When I first logged in the game, I was extra cautious, because I overestimated the zombies. It took me many hours just to go through a few villages and "that's impossible" crossed my my mind all the time. It was the most fun I've had in the game. When the reality that Zombies don't matter bit in, I lost interest. Didn't make me stop though. I stopped playing because of the Zombie spawn camping.

Now that this patch came, I'm going to install Dayz again. The spawn camping will still be there, but maybe it won't be as easy as it was.

From that graveyarded thread "This is retarded", though, there are a few issues to iron out. The guy was right in that zombies shouldn't be able to pull you out of a Vodnik or from a flying helicopter. Perhaps there should be an option introduced to lock your car.

i accept the fact that gunfire and noise in general atracts zombies, if you have limited use of your brain and spend most of your time walking/hopping/crawling around in a circle then a sound out of the ordinary would be interesting and they would want to check it out, but i dont like that they immediately assume any noise = food and comes gunning at mach 1 with pin point accuracy to the spot the sound originated from, noise should make zombies face or move in that direction at their own pace until they spot something edible then leg it while screaming their rotting guts out to alarm their pals that dinner is here. i was never much for killing zombies in big cities and other player hotspots since it tells them youre there and most people would rather shoot you than find out of youre friendly or not, but now with the decrease in ammo and their super hearing firing a gun in a city or town is just about the dumbest thing you can do since youre unlikely to be able to replenish the ammo you wasted and before youve killed the last zombie more have already respawned and are after you again(seriously zombie respawn timer is crazy low) and while youre dealing with the neverending zombie horde gear hungry/bloodthirsty bandits are following them to take advantage of the situation. but i do think super hearing zombies are an improvement to the deaf ones, but only a little. and im never using a winchester, enfield or db shotgun on a zombie again.

and on a sidenote, to me making the alice pack 16 slots was a dick move, cant really carry 2 weapons and a reasonable ammount of ammo for both with a decent ammount of food and medical supplies until you against all odds find a coyote pack(decent being 1-2 painkillers, 2 morphine, 1-2 antibiotics 2 blood bags, 2 food and 2 drink, and reasonable being atleast 5 clips for carbine/assault rifle and 40 rounds for a sniper rifle) so now if youre a hoarder like me you pretty much have to set up a tent where noone will find it(wich ofc means someone will find it instantly) to stash stuff in

From that graveyarded thread "This is retarded", though, there are a few issues to iron out. The guy was right in that zombies shouldn't be able to pull you out of a Vodnik or from a flying helicopter. Perhaps there should be an option introduced to lock your car.

well its not like they open the doors to pull you out, they break the windows and pull you out from them, wich would be pretty much impossible to do by hand on a military vehicle. but on civilian vehicles id rather see the option to use scrap metal to weld bars over the windows, cause that would be one of the first things youd do with your vehicle of choice in a zombie apocalypse, that and a plow infront

id rather see the option to use scrap metal to weld bars over the windows, cause that would be one of the first things youd do with your vehicle of choice in a zombie apocalypse, that and a plow infront

]

More like in Hollywood movie.

I don't have a problem with the survival additions to the game, I think they're great in making a more realistic experience for the player. However, the major problem I have is the increased tenacity and amount of Zombies. Zombies are, for the most part, a personal preference thing as multiple different types of media have tried to capture what is a Zombie, and personally I think the Zombies from 1.7.4.4 captured it for me. Surely enough, they were not smart but they shouldn't be. However, the Zombies in DayZ could never really be underestimated because it wasn't hard to get packed into a corner by them and beaten to death. However, with this new update, a Zombie can get aggro from you just by moving one small step while crouched in a fern. It's really unneeded.

To make matters worse, firing a Makarov of all weapons will call in around 10+ more Zombies towards their cause which makes your detection by other players even worse. Many seasoned players will just say to uses silenced weaponry or be patient but its my firm belief that neither of these work at this point. At one point, me and a fellow squad mate were in the Southern Barracks on the North West Airfield and had to take out a Zed. We fought against around 70 zombies before they stopped. Zombies were running through the walls and everything and one of our other squad mates in the chopper above was mentioning zombies above the Barracks.I think that in an attempt to make the game more realistic, it has inadvertently become less.

Another thing I dislike about the new patch is the logging system, and the long (significantly longer than half a minute) wait for an abort option is no good.

Edited by iZero
  • Like 1

@iZero

So far majority of people that complain about 1.7.5.1 happened to be barrack recyclers. Intresting.

And 1.7.4.4 zombies were a joke, they needed to be buffed.

• Like 2

So far majority of people that complain about 1.7.5.1 happened to be barrack recyclers. Intresting.

Loot cyclers and DeathmatchZ kids, lol. Oh no, a zombie apocalypse sim is actually about the zombies now!

• Like 3

And 1.7.4.4 zombies were a joke, they needed to be buffed.

On that I agree, but I disagree in what constitutes a plausible buff and what's just there to circle around short-comings.