KattSavage

New Combat Roll Animation

I think it would have been better to use a simple jump animation rather then a barrel roll. (Some custom servers already had this)

but that wouldn't be any fun lol.

So this is a ligitimate animation for the patch? It's great fun. Here are some more barrel rolling antics!

Edit: oops that was a Dev blog ill get the correct video in a sec

Edited by Ravey

because of the animation? it's still a great feature, but it shouldn't be put down because of a slighty-wonky animation.

No, it's just ridiculous. You'd break your neck and everything in your pack. Like smasht said - a simple jump would have been 1,000 x better.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 2

I haven't actually tried it yet but looking at that vid it shouldn't have been introduced. Firstly, it looks like crap so takes away from immersion, secondly all we're going to see now is players rolling all over Cherno/Electro much like bunny-hopping in other games.

I'm not sure if it's limited to how much rolling you can do? If it was maybe limited to once or twice and then a long delay I could live with it a long as they cleaned up the animation. In my eyes the community devs need to be really careful and put a lot of though into it before adding things like this. I love so much of the new patch though, just not this bit.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

No, it's just ridiculous. You'd break your neck and everything in your pack. Like smasht said - a simple jump would have been 1,000 x better.

the backpack was empty. much like rolling on a plastic shopping bag would have no effect =3

I haven't actually tried it yet but looking at that vid it shouldn't have been introduced. Firstly, it looks like crap so takes away from immersion, secondly all we're going to see now is players rolling all over Cherno/Electro much like bunny-hopping in other games.

I'm not sure if it's limited to how much rolling you can do? If it was maybe limited to once or twice and then a long delay I could live with it a long as they cleaned up the animation. In my eyes the community devs need to be really careful and put a lot of though into it before adding things like this. I love so much of the new patch though, just not this bit.

I've been playing for well over eight hours and I haven't seen one person just constantly rolling, why would they anyway? it makes you completely defenceless.

to say something like that just makes you look like nothing but a fool. you act like this one thing is a game breaker and its the end of DayZ as we know it.

Edited by KattSavage

I don't know why something like STL movement hasn't been implemented.

I don't know why a weight and fatigue system hasn't been implemented.

Baby steps I guess.

• Like 1

the backpack was empty. much like rolling on a plastic shopping bag would have no effect =3

I've been playing for well over eight hours and I haven't seen one person just constantly rolling, why would they anyway? it makes you completely defenceless.

to say something like that just makes you look like nothing but a fool. you act like this one thing is a game breaker and its the end of DayZ as we know it.

Chill out fella. I didn't say it was the end of the world. I was expressing my opinion and that is indeed what a forum is for. If you don't like my opinion then deal with it.

I've been here for a long time and this mod always progresses by trying ideas and seeing what effect they have on the game. Sometimes things stay, sometimes they are removed after a trial period. That is the nature of a mod in development and always will be so I'm well aware it's not the end of the world. Many thanks.

I haven't noticed many people do it in-game (as well as played throughout the whole day of the patch release) and I can see why.

I haven't tested it out on the amount of times you can do it in a row, but believe me you wouldn't want to. It's much too slow to get into the roll and there appears to be a bit of a recovery time as well.

Honestly, I probably won't ever use it other than quickly vault over fences (it appears I need some practice as I end up combat rolling into the fence half the time :/ ) and maybe as a means to get behind cover 2 feet from me.

Edited by Deetwo
  • Like 1

Can't get it to work me, what's the default bind ?

I've very much personalised my keys (arrow keys + G5 gaming mouse player)

Love the animation even though the physics are a bit off, could go with a few fixes. Maybe change the animation a bit to accomodate for the fact that you are carrying a back pack, such as a roll on your shoulder. But that's just me and it's a mod, so I ain't complaining.

I'm sure it wouldn't be any different if you were carrying a coyote with an AS50 with 5 mags plus food, drink and meds inside though, would it? Lol.

It just seems a bit ridiculous to me, there was nothing wrong with having to vault over or go around fences IMO. :S

Edited by mZLY

I'm not sure yet How many times can you do this in a row? Does it impact you more than just sprinting or regular vaulting would?

The last thing I want to see is people ninja rolling all over the place because they're bored or see it become the new Halo bunny hop.

It will replace teabagging you wait and see.

I sort of agree with mZLY, the vault was clunky but more realistic for that amount of weight. I would like to see roll ability at most with those small czech pocket packs, preferably no packs at all.

Edited by disorder

.....This is the worst thing in Dayz. Come on now, this is some arcade stuff right here, in a game where using the stars for navigation and using the sun to distinguish north, this just does not belong.

I seriously hope Rocket isn't adding this into SA.

Why not refine the vault animation to this;

nm7DDho.gif

Instead of this -as surely the survivors in the game can't do martial art rolls perfectly over picketed fences.. and over cars....and over rubble...

WyC0aji.gif

• Like 6

.....This is the worst thing in Dayz. Come on now, this is some arcade stuff right here, in a game where using the stars for navigation and using the sun to distinguish north, this just does not belong.

I seriously hope Rocket isn't adding this into SA.

Why not refine the vault animation to this;

nm7DDho.gif

Instead of this -as surely the survivors in the game can't do martial art rolls perfectly over picketed fences.. and over cars....and over rubble...

WyC0aji.gif

Imagine if fat guy had a backpack full of cans, some rifle and an axe, he would be so wasted if he would succed doing barrel roll anyway.

Imagine if fat guy had a backpack full of cans, some rifle and an axe, he would be so wasted if he would succed doing barrel roll anyway.

With the power of propulsion he'd keep going infinitely.

Edited by Victus Mortuus

Well it might be an unrealistic movement but in terms of speed to jump over a fence its realistic since the usual vault is simply horrible.

What matters is the functionality and it seems correct, the character first slows down a little, then performs the action and takes a big acceleration hit to getting back to running, so it seems about right and balanced.

I would prefer a regular jump, just like in the 400 meters barriers competitions, less stylish but more realistic in terms of animation I guess.

Well it might be an unrealistic movement but in terms of speed to jump over a fence its realistic since the usual vault is simply horrible.

What matters is the functionality and it seems correct, the character first slows down a little, then performs the action and takes a big acceleration hit to getting back to running, so it seems about right and balanced.

I would prefer a regular jump, just like in the 400 meters barriers competitions, less stylish but more realistic in terms of animation I guess.

So you want us to be able to hurdle? LOL. How the hell is it realistic, who are we? Jackie Chan. At least the old vault actually makes sense as doing barrel rolls and stuff with an AS50 in your back pocket really adds to the whole rest of the realism in the patch and the rest of the game.

Edited by Victus Mortuus

Hate it. u,u

Really, try that with a backpack full of weapons and ammo in real life. cu@emergency room.

Because running around with a couple tires and a can of gas is real life yo.

Because running around with a couple tires and a can of gas is real life yo.

Balance > Realism.

However in this case, the rolling animation just isn't at home in Dayz.....yo.

Hello there

I think it's dreadful.

If you want a smoother/faster vault see how they do it in the i44 mod. Far better IMHO.

Rgds

Lok