Mot

Mix of Joy and Disappointment.

So what you are saying is that I'm supposed to rush always to the same places to get stuff, where is the fun in that? Spawn, rush here, then rush there, then rush wherever, always the same routine, not fun, not fun at all.

Half of the fun in this game is the exploration of locations, running on a hill and all of a sudden there's a small village, go there check it out, find stuff.

But no, there's never anything there because... Im supposed to raid cherno or electro to get gear over and over again, maybe it the airfield, over and over again...

Hardly impressive and boring as hell. Keep in mind that to raid other towns a new player has to run for hours, only to find out they are just worse than electro or cherno, so what's the point in losing an hour to get north or inland if there's no reward to it.

It takes nowhere near an hour to run North, that's just a massive exaggeration.

And you don't have to keep on doing the same routes, every town (and I mean EVERY town) has spawnable loot and the buildings it spawns in. You need to be able to recognise which buildings hold the loot, and which are just scenery pieces. In fact, I never raid Cherno/Elekto/other major towns, the only exception to this was today when I needed antibiotics and they only seem to ever spawn in Cherno.

Right now, it just seems like you're making excuses, the loot is everywhere, learn the game a little and you'll be able to find all listed items very easily.

It takes nowhere near an hour to run North, that's just a massive exaggeration.

And you don't have to keep on doing the same routes, every town (and I mean EVERY town) has spawnable loot and the buildings it spawns in. You need to be able to recognise which buildings hold the loot, and which are just scenery pieces. In fact, I never raid Cherno/Elekto/other major towns, the only exception to this was today when I needed antibiotics and they only seem to ever spawn in Cherno.

Right now, it just seems like you're making excuses, the loot is everywhere, learn the game a little and you'll be able to find all listed items very easily.

Well what can I say, I'm not the kind of person who place a weight on the W key and waits for it to reach more or less where I want it to be. I like to roleplay, go through a town and sneak to see what is in there, go check that odd tower in the way, that dearstand 200 meters off way, also I don't go check map outside game to see if I'm going in the right direction, I like to use my navigation skills ingame. All in all, to get from south to north I need way over an hour. Mindless running, no thank you.

Last time I went north, I went through some small villages, nothing in them, not even a can of food, best thing I found was a lee enfield and some sodas, then I found a town, with a little mall in it, nothing in there, got attacked by a sniper and ran away sucessfully, was fun, but then I was kinda lost running north and I saw a small watchtower, climbed it and my character for some reason fell when reaching the top (and it was game fault, not mine, that I'm sure), so because the watchtower was small I broke my legs in the middle of nowhere, painkillers didn't work, morphine Ive seen it once in my whole 25+ hours of gameplay so yeah... just f***ing great.

Now I just broke my legs while changing from my civilian clothing to a gillie suit, must have been a really tricky piece of clothing to change to in order to break bones... morphine? none in sight, oh and a zombie decided to get inside the building and saw me immediately proned, had to shoot it with the only weapon I have enfield, already heard the horde screaming in joy, "look look, that gunshot sound came exactly from this coordinates, let me check xray vision, yes there's a dude crawling in that position trying to hide lol! Let's get him boys!" So yeah I was killed by clothing this time...

Well the map topography can be based on real life satellite data, but doubt the villages and cities are, still that is a macro topography of the map, hardly the map details I'm talking about, check any real place countryside for yourself and tell me if this map reflects anything in real life, its just a topographic map with pointy sticks coming out of it and odd towns, that much there's no argue against, I'm just saying it could use some improvement, if not on the micro topography, then add more things coming out of it, stones, houses, whatever.

You can literally use the ingame map to navigate the real world.

I'm just probably going to say the same thing as everyone else has, but from what I've read, you just need to spend more time playing.

Some stuff in the game is unavoidable, but by playing and practicing more often you tend to get used to it and find a way to make it better/useful.

Off topic; I remember playing for my very first time. I had some how put my head-bobbing on the max on accident, and thought there was an earthquake going on as I ran from zeds. Gold bricks were shat.

Well what can I say, I'm not the kind of person who place a weight on the W key and waits for it to reach more or less where I want it to be. I like to roleplay, go through a town and sneak to see what is in there, go check that odd tower in the way, that dearstand 200 meters off way, also I don't go check map outside game to see if I'm going in the right direction, I like to use my navigation skills ingame. All in all, to get from south to north I need way over an hour. Mindless running, no thank you.

Last time I went north, I went through some small villages, nothing in them, not even a can of food, best thing I found was a lee enfield and some sodas, then I found a town, with a little mall in it, nothing in there, got attacked by a sniper and ran away sucessfully, was fun, but then I was kinda lost running north and I saw a small watchtower, climbed it and my character for some reason fell when reaching the top (and it was game fault, not mine, that I'm sure), so because the watchtower was small I broke my legs in the middle of nowhere, painkillers didn't work, morphine Ive seen it once in my whole 25+ hours of gameplay so yeah... just f***ing great.

Now I just broke my legs while changing from my civilian clothing to a gillie suit, must have been a really tricky piece of clothing to change to in order to break bones... morphine? none in sight, oh and a zombie decided to get inside the building and saw me immediately proned, had to shoot it with the only weapon I have enfield, already heard the horde screaming in joy, "look look, that gunshot sound came exactly from this coordinates, let me check xray vision, yes there's a dude crawling in that position trying to hide lol! Let's get him boys!" So yeah I was killed by clothing this time...

You do know what an alpha is, right? I'm pretty sure you do. Also, you really need to read the dev blogs. The standalone is addressing a lot of these issues.

Edited by colekern

As others have suggested, start by playing on empty servers or less than 10 man servers. Use a lot of stealth and get a feel for the game. Every time you die, learn from that mistake. After x amount of deaths, you'll have racked up a wealth of knowledge on how to deal with zombies and things won't be so grim! Dieing by zombie hand is a golden opportunity to learn from your mistakes. Dieing by teleport scripts run by other players is where the real frustration lies.

With the new patch, stealth is no longer an option. Zeds see you crawling through grass at plus 150 meters. Seriously, I can't see this change lasting long- anyone who takes a sneaky, realistic approach is now doomed. I suppose hosing down a whole town full of zombies at range is an option, or running through buildings- but that's it.

I'm not playing any longer until the Zed's hearing/eyesight isn't superpowered. No point in it- why bother?

DayZ truly is a game of improvise, adapt and overcome - in no particular order.

Complexity, for me - is a good thing. This game is rife with variety: terrain, architecture, weapons, simulated actions and on and on. One of the keys to success in DayZ however is much patience and care. Patience with the search for means of survival, and taking great care to survive zombies and other players. In effect, DayZ is not a game well suited for those without the aforementioned qualities or willingness to apply them. For me, it is great in all its sometimes buggy akwardness; and I hope the complexity is increased as development moves forward. One simply cannot find the same features in another game. I hope you adapt to a means of survival and really get into the game.

The other obvious answer is that perhaps dayz isn't for you. I like anchovy on pizza, my wife doesn't.

Lots of energy expended by people trying to explain to you why the game is great.

Equal amounts of energy by you trying to explain the flaws and problems.

People in first group are obviously able to see past / get around the flaws/ enjoy regardless.

I say move on.

Next topic please.

AC

With the new patch, stealth is no longer an option. Zeds see you crawling through grass at plus 150 meters. Seriously, I can't see this change lasting long- anyone who takes a sneaky, realistic approach is now doomed. I suppose hosing down a whole town full of zombies at range is an option, or running through buildings- but that's it.

Ahh right... Haven't tried the new patch. Maybe new tactics are in order! Have you tried distracting zeds by throwing empty cans etc. ? Or maybe flares in a night time server? Another option is maybe to predict their path, where they will walk and avoid their line of sight. Easier said than done especially with lots of Zeds about. Heading inland is probably not a bad idea tbh. I'm sure others would have some ideas too, there's always a way to deal with tricky situations.

Hang around for a bit longer and see if things change. If not, like AIRCAV said, it might not be for you. Although, have you tried teaming up with other people or some friends? I put DayZ down back in May last year only to pick it up again when a few buddies joined in September :)

What? This is the most successful MOD ever designed. This game is incredible, and the player base is massive. Regardless of how you might feel, this game rocks, period.

It's obviously not for you, thanks for the input but everyone has noticed these things in this online survival horror, FREE TO PLAY MOD. Move on to something more your style. Maybe COD or WOW. These games are much easier, and more oriented towards children who aren't very good at things in general. It sounds like you're just not very good. In general.

What? This is the most successful MOD ever designed. This game is incredible, and the player base is massive. Regardless of how you might feel, this game rocks, period.

It's obviously not for you, thanks for the input but everyone has noticed these things in this online survival horror, FREE TO PLAY MOD. Move on to something more your style. Maybe COD or WOW. These games are much easier, and more oriented towards children who aren't very good at things in general. It sounds like you're just not very good. In general.

Well and after so many people with good respectful replies there's always the idiot who thinks he is the sarcasm master.

I never said this game doesn't rock, just said it has flaws.

You have no idea of who I am, or what is my taste and my skills in gaming or whatever.

I don't like COD and I don't like WOW or fantasy themed games, so no, its not my style.

I hate easy games, that's why I only play online games.

And with that attitude the only children around here is you, I don't give you more than 16 years old, at least maturity wise.

It sounds just like you are an absolute moron. In general.

Stop the bickering and personal slights, both of you.

• Like 1

So what you are saying is that I'm supposed to rush always to the same places to get stuff, where is the fun in that? Spawn, rush here, then rush there, then rush wherever, always the same routine, not fun, not fun at all.

Half of the fun in this game is the exploration of locations, running on a hill and all of a sudden there's a small village, go there check it out, find stuff.

But no, there's never anything there because... Im supposed to raid cherno or electro to get gear over and over again, maybe it the airfield, over and over again...

Hardly impressive and boring as hell. Keep in mind that to raid other towns a new player has to run for hours, only to find out they are just worse than electro or cherno, so what's the point in losing an hour to get north or inland if there's no reward to it.

zelenegorsk, berizino, and i've found morphine in a firestation. Though a player may have dropped it.

Now let's take into account this is a survival game, the point is to survive, you lose hours and hours of play if you die, all that work getting a nice thing going and then this happens:

Bugs:

- Breaking my legs when opening doors (Game breaking)

- Breaking my legs when changing clothing (Game breaking)

- Getting stuck on building entrance (Possible hit from zombie/player)

- Many meny! graphical glitches (Don't really care too much)

- Zombies can travel through walls and closed doors (Game breaking)

- Zombies can hit players through walls and closed doors (Possible hit from zombie)

- Death animations take too long to play (Leads to lots of wasted ammo and possible hit from zombie)

Zombies are not hard, they are only annoying and persistent:

- They have your coordinates and a gps with them, modern zombies I guess...

- They hit from 3-4 meters away from you, maybe more, not even sure if this is another bug or intended

- They can only be cut lose when "exploiting", definitely not skill and if you want to call strategy to using faulty odd game mechanics then call it whatever you want.

(Could go on about the zombies super powers, my problem with this is not that they are super strong, is that in conjunction with bugs, they become annoying, just annoying, not hard)

Other:

- Character animations take way too long, things like taking out a gun when time is of the essence, its just ridiculous, the dude just really takes his time

- Very odd gear system, have to get secondary weapon inside backpack, have to drop main weapon to use a hatchet... just annoying

- Annoying method of opening doors and climbing ladders which leads eventually to zombie hits

--------

So far I played around 30 lives in this game, give or take.

10% of them I was killed by other players, fair enough.

20% of them I died by zombies due to my own mistakes.

70% of them I died due to consistent bugs crippling me along the way which eventually leads to a situation where I will die.

This is my standard life in this game:

Spawn. Run. Loot. Run. Get hit through a wall. Bandage myself. Run. Loot. Run. Zombie passes through a wall and hits me. Run. Use exploit to lose zombies. Bandage myself. Run. Desperately try to find all the items needed to cook meat. Run. Eventually some bug or mistake I make and I'm dead because all those annoying bugs and faulty mechanics severely crippled me into a situation I have to risk more.

As a final note, this mod surely is fun sometimes, but arma 2 engine is really really bad for this concept, I have great reservations towards the standalone since its arma engine 2.5. Not sure what that means but sure as hell won't buy it unless I see some drastic improvement in comparison to the mod gameplay

By any means I want to criticize the great work modders and devs have done, the concept is amazing, a lot of things are really great, and not only that I WILL KEEP PLAYING this game because I really like a lot in it.

If the devs/modders find a workaround at least to the leg breaking bugs and the passing/hitting through walls the gameplay would improve massively.

The game is unforgiving and unpredictable, it will take a lot of practice and experience. That being said, it is also rather buggy and as you encounter these bugs, you'll learn how to avoid them and work around them. For now, these bugs and other issues are here to stay and you shouldn't expect much to change before the standalone, which is fine.

So either accept the mod for what it is and enjoy yourself, or come back once the game is released and reevaluate the situation.

Regarding missing with the hatchet a lot... are you by any chance in 3rd person mode?

If so, that's the problem. The crosshairs and reticles in 3rd person mode are inaccurate. You need to switch back to 1st person to hit anything with any real repeatability.

If/when you find a gun, right-clicking will usually zoom into ironsights/optics for you automatically from 3rd person, but if you plan on shooting unscoped or without ironsights you do need to be in 1st person.

Also, the vast majority of all matches I've found have been in grocery stores. They often have a revolver or M1911 in there, too. Sometimes even a backpack or tent. But yeah, I got some of those Diamond matches in the small box at home, and every time I see the damn things on the table I get a little jolt and want to loot them.

Regarding missing with the hatchet a lot... are you by any chance in 3rd person mode?

If so, that's the problem. The crosshairs and reticles in 3rd person mode are inaccurate. You need to switch back to 1st person to hit anything with any real repeatability.

If/when you find a gun, right-clicking will usually zoom into ironsights/optics for you automatically from 3rd person, but if you plan on shooting unscoped or without ironsights you do need to be in 1st person.

Also, the vast majority of all matches I've found have been in grocery stores. They often have a revolver or M1911 in there, too. Sometimes even a backpack or tent. But yeah, I got some of those Diamond matches in the small box at home, and every time I see the damn things on the table I get a little jolt and want to loot them.

Actually, with a good deal of practice you can learn to use the 3rd person sights pretty well, takes time though.

Maybe it's just not the game for you. It's supposed to be hard and frustrating. That's why it became so popular, many gamers are fed up with having our hands held through games and being given power-ups and skillz as a reward for doing something.

Don't stress about it. I don't understand why people like many other games, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though. Just spend some time looking for a game that suits you, I don't think this is it TBH.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Actually, with a good deal of practice you can learn to use the 3rd person sights pretty well, takes time though.

True, but.. its outside my skill range, I guess. I spent some time aiming at something with the 1st person crosshair, then ironsights/scope, then the 3rd person crosshair, to try to find a correlation. It seems like in general the 3rd person crosshair is up and left compared to what you're actually aiming at, but it varies greatly as distance changes. I'm terrible at judging distance IRL and I'm not any better at it ingame, so hitting a target at any distance in 3rd person is bordering on impossible for me. I still do the 1st/3rd aim check when potentially about to enter combat in case I have to shoot "NOW", but I usually stay in 1st person for that anyway.

Either way, the point of my post is that the guy being inaccurate with the hatchet may be unknowingly swinging over the zomber's shoulder. Or maybe he's not, he could be in 1st person already for all I know. *shrug*

Don't play. Try out regular arma maybe. If you read up on the bugs, you would have known that they were sometimes game breakers. However unlike the people reporting the bugs, you don't make humor of it. DayZ has character, a lot of it coming from bugs. Try some different maps if half the fun is exploring.