Mot

Mix of Joy and Disappointment.

First to the group of people who are not able to respect others opinions and will reply to this post in a little kid manner, if you don't agree then just don't agree and justify it if you want, attacking me, my skill as a player and other comments like that is a waste of time for you and me.

So yes I'm disappointed with DayZ, Don't get me wrong, this game/mod has a lot of great things but has a lot of faults, some from the arma2 engine heritage, others from imho very poor game balance, others for other reasons I guess.

The map is very bad, Chernarus size is great for this type of game but its a repetitive landscape with completely random buildings on it, like if the map designers just thrown in assorted buildings into it, really boring.

Most buildings can't be entered, this is a big fault especially in small villages, the player runs for 10 minutes to find 12 buildings of which 2 can be entered and have crap in them, unless they have the almighty barn that might have a lee enfield... its completely pointless to go into inland villages, complete waste of time.

Hatchet accuracy... omg... why does it miss 75% of the shots... its just incredible how can it miss at point blank range shots directly to the chest, its amusing to see the hatchet going through the zombie chest and still missing... note that I don't really mind the reloading, engine heritage I guess.

Claw Zombies, I guess they have claws since they make really nasty injuries that make you bleed to death...

Super Power Zombies, they climb ladders, they open doors and if for some reason they can't, they will just make an x-men style move and go through walls and doors, or hit you through them.

Binocular Zombies, seriously, I'm crouched and stopped, looking at the movement of zombies and all of a sudden a zombie 30-40 meters away spots me... is the game supposed to be played either running or hugging the ground?

Too many items are required to cook meat, hatchet to cut wood, this is a no no, no one cuts trees to make small fires, they just scavenge for dry wood and make a fire, also most people could make a fire using two sticks, so my suggestion add this possibility, make the actions required taking a lot longer.

Other problems like jumping fences were seriously annoying but is now fixed=)

So basically I find all this small things very annoying as a total, I keep dying because I never find guns, only hatchets, and hatchets are crap, so zombies hit me and I start bleeding to death, have to run fast to stop bleeding but they chase me everywhere, I'm using a bandage when one of them travels through a wall and starts hitting me, run again... I finally escape and I need blood, I'm playing solo so I need to cook meat, box of matches is like precious metals, found 4-5 in like 20-30 games, so I have to search dozens of buildings where super zombies will eventually hit me or a player will kill me from who knows where.

As a final note, I was at a point where I would buy warz or arma2oa for dayZ, but because I wanted a realistic hard simulator, I didn't have any doubt it had to be dayz, so again don't bother writing childish attack comments.

My question is, how do you people avoid this? What am I doing wrong?

Practice man. I used to be in that same boat. You just have to play on low pop servers and expirament. Don't like small villages? Try the big cities. Don't like the trouble of looting such a large area? Go north, Stary Sabor and dearstands.

I feel you on the matches thing though. Those things are like fucking gold.

The hatchet is the best weapon in the game, hands down. I recommend you pick one up and use nothing else until you get the hang of it. Once you do, you'll probably not want to pick up that enfield.

Remember that this is a mod so far, and one mans vision. Due to the massive demand for this type of realism focused game play it has exploded beyond ALL expectations. Put it aside for a few months and come back when Rocket and the rest of the team has had time to work this embryo into a proper game. Then, if you like zombies and survival you might consider giving them your money for the stand alone and from there is where things would really kick off imo.

Instead of being frustrated at this Arma II modification look at what it can bring to the gaming industry as a whole. As Dean have said, Dayz has sent a clear message to the industry that people really want something with more depth than the average dumbed down shooters that we are used to.

You need to practice a lot more, that's really all there is to it. Yes, the game is hard. No, it was not meant to be anything but hard.

The hatchet is accurate and it has a lot more range than it should imo. If you want to ensure accuracy, run into a building and hit the zombies when they slow down to walk, that will let you hit more accurate.

The hatchet is something you should never forego. It's common and can fit on your toolbelt. It's a silent killer, you have to be sure to be accurate. The zeds can be lost over hills and such. Tip: carry 3-4 bandages, never hurts.

• Like 1

anyone want to play add me on skype ian davis picture is a broutherhood of steal with a laser riful walking away from a explosion

Remember that this is a mod so far, and one mans vision. Due to the massive demand for this type of realism focused game play it has exploded beyond ALL expectations. Put it aside for a few months and come back when Rocket and the rest of the team has had time to work this embryo into a proper game. Then, if you like zombies and survival you might consider giving them your money for the stand alone and from there is where things would really kick off imo.

Instead of being frustrated at this Arma II modification look at what it can bring to the gaming industry as a whole. As Dean have said, Dayz has sent a clear message to the industry that people really want something with more depth than the average dumbed down shooters that we are used to.

Well I am frustrated and I honestly hope the new game engine kicks my nuts and blow my mind.

Dumbed down shooters sell at an average of 1+ per year, while great games last for several years, that's the problem, FPS games are money printing machines for established companies/names.

You need to practice a lot more, that's really all there is to it. Yes, the game is hard. No, it was not meant to be anything but hard.

The hatchet is accurate and it has a lot more range than it should imo. If you want to ensure accuracy, run into a building and hit the zombies when they slow down to walk, that will let you hit more accurate.

Well I'm not finding this to be hard, I'm finding it to be random and annoying, in a game of skill you want randomness to play a low role, otherwise you lose 5min sneaking into a place carefully for nothing for example.

I don't know how you get your hatchet accurate, I have a hard time hit anything, and I'm talking about being absolutely still and aim at the very center of the enemy zombie, honestly not seeing how to improve accuracy.

The hatchet is something you should never forego. It's common and can fit on your toolbelt. It's a silent killer, you have to be sure to be accurate. The zeds can be lost over hills and such. Tip: carry 3-4 bandages, never hurts.

Well its annoying to keep changing it in gear to a proper weapon, because you need a proper weapon when another players shows up. Yeah usually I lost them in hills or bushes.

I carry lots of bandages if Im lucky to find them which is sometimes a pain in the arse, problem is when you get that first zombie hit that 90% of the times make you bleed and there it goes your only bandage, then everything that makes you bleed will make you die because of the randomness of bandages spawning, sometimes I check 20+ buildings until I find a much needed bandage.

Are you playing on 60 player servers?

Played a few rounds in servers with +-40 players but usually in servers with +-20. I like the pvp so I want my games to have some human population, but I guess I will try the suggestion of playing on low populated servers to get better at pve.

Edited by Mot

Play on 10 player servers to learn the ropes.

Play normal arma once in a while to iron your combat skills. Beware, AI have better aim and tactics than most dayz players, but their aim tends to fall short at short ranges. You can edit the aiming skills of ai in the options.

Well I am frustrated and I honestly hope the new game engine kicks my nuts and blow my mind.

Dumbed down shooters sell at an average of 1+ per year, while great games last for several years, that's the problem, FPS games are money printing machines for established companies/names.

Well I'm not finding this to be hard, I'm finding it to be random and annoying, in a game of skill you want randomness to play a low role, otherwise you lose 5min sneaking into a place carefully for nothing for example.

I don't know how you get your hatchet accurate, I have a hard time hit anything, and I'm talking about being absolutely still and aim at the very center of the enemy zombie, honestly not seeing how to improve accuracy.

Played a few rounds in servers with +-40 players but usually in servers with +-20. I like the pvp so I want my games to have some human population, but I guess I will try the suggestion of playing on low populated servers to get better at pve.

Dayz IS random, and brutal and unforgiving. Snuck into a place and got killed because you killed one zombie? (And there was no loot) The game doesn't care. I find it much more immersive if I imagine it as a real life situation, maybe even subtly roleplay. Dayz in my opinion is not about skill, but rather strategy. Randomness does play a role, but unlike roll the dice games, the way you react to the event may decide life or death.

yeah honestly the mod is heavily flawed. but its not anyones fault and its really just a "thats how it is" scenario due to it being modded from a game with a different purpose.

the game makes up for the bugs by having spurts of utter exhilaration. people say its a PvP game and others say its supposed to be more PvE, but to me its more like a player vs unknown. and thats what makes it so great, cuz you can never be sure about what will happen next, or the intentions of those around you. there is no "blue = friendly / red = enemy"

but if i were you id just have waited for the standalone. its goina be effing fantastic.

any day now!!!

Sounds like you just need a bit more game time dude.

Hatchet is a good weapon once you find the sweet spot - practice, run the zeds indoors and kill em at the doorways, back up a bit and kill the next one, rinse repeat

Once you know the spots you will (should) be geared up within 30 mins max of joining a server.

The vault is fine, just practice. I know some people who just cannot seem to get the hang of it though..they do not see the humour in it obviously as they ballet dance near a fence whilst under zed attack. I do.

Random arma death is random, rocks , doors etc..but i have put in a serious amount of time in this mod and only had 1 rock glitch death and 1 door attack. I stay the fuck away from rocks and always have morhine in case of the angry door.

Never go anywhere without Morphine.

Think about what you are doing, have some sort of basic plan instead of just ..fuck yih boy! going to Cherno pew pew. Take your time and play the survival game, its the coolest way imo. Overlook all towns first, take your time and stop every now and again and just look around, always check your six no matter where you are.

Dayz IS random, and brutal and unforgiving. Snuck into a place and got killed because you killed one zombie? (And there was no loot) The game doesn't care. I find it much more immersive if I imagine it as a real life situation, maybe even subtly roleplay. Dayz in my opinion is not about skill, but rather strategy. Randomness does play a role, but unlike roll the dice games, the way you react to the event may decide life or death.

Well randomness keeps things interesting but not like this. I can't get immersive because my characters keep dying to bugs/game deficiencies, so the next character just means nothing until I can get at least to the "level" I was with the previous. (I sometimes die due to my poor decisions, not saying otherwise)

Getting killed because a zombie hits you through a wall and you don't have any bandages because they are so random at spawning is bad. (If its supposed to be hard to find them then the game can't have such bugs, or the zombies shouldn't make you bleed, a counter is required)

Getting killed because you climb some ladder and at the top the character instead of getting into the platform somehow jumps out of the ladder and dies isn't good but at least its rare.

Spending five minutes infiltrating carefully a village without being spotted just to be spotted by some random zombie 40 meters away destroys any strategy (You can't hide from them in most situations, they are way too smart, this keeps "zombie escape" quite dull and repetitive)

Hitting 5 times the hatchet into a zombie chest and missing all hacks is not about skill or strategy, its just annoying and for a new spawn can mean death.

Not being able to survive because your dumb character can't make a fire without matches is frustrating.

If the goal is to make a realistic survival simulator then it should have realistic options for each goal, each option with pros and cons.

For every problem/bug/situation the players should have counters, counters that with great skill work 80% of the time, but without great skill or not enough concentration only work 30% of the times. If I want to sneak into a village, I should be able to, but not easily, I want it to fail sometimes, I just don't want it to fail 90% of the times regardless of how well I did it.

I think this game is a great work and will continue to play it (if the servers allow me, they decided to go unresponsive tonight=( ), I just feel like its hard because of randomness and bugs instead of true difficulty

First to the group of people who are not able to respect others opinions and will reply to this post in a little kid manner, if you don't agree then just don't agree and justify it if you want, attacking me, my skill as a player and other comments like that is a waste of time for you and me.

So yes I'm disappointed with DayZ, Don't get me wrong, this game/mod has a lot of great things but has a lot of faults, some from the arma2 engine heritage, others from imho very poor game balance, others for other reasons I guess.

The map is very bad, Chernarus size is great for this type of game but its a repetitive landscape with completely random buildings on it, like if the map designers just thrown in assorted buildings into it, really boring.

Most buildings can't be entered, this is a big fault especially in small villages, the player runs for 10 minutes to find 12 buildings of which 2 can be entered and have crap in them, unless they have the almighty barn that might have a lee enfield... its completely pointless to go into inland villages, complete waste of time.

Hatchet accuracy... omg... why does it miss 75% of the shots... its just incredible how can it miss at point blank range shots directly to the chest, its amusing to see the hatchet going through the zombie chest and still missing... note that I don't really mind the reloading, engine heritage I guess.

Claw Zombies, I guess they have claws since they make really nasty injuries that make you bleed to death...

Super Power Zombies, they climb ladders, they open doors and if for some reason they can't, they will just make an x-men style move and go through walls and doors, or hit you through them.

Binocular Zombies, seriously, I'm crouched and stopped, looking at the movement of zombies and all of a sudden a zombie 30-40 meters away spots me... is the game supposed to be played either running or hugging the ground?

Too many items are required to cook meat, hatchet to cut wood, this is a no no, no one cuts trees to make small fires, they just scavenge for dry wood and make a fire, also most people could make a fire using two sticks, so my suggestion add this possibility, make the actions required taking a lot longer.

Other problems like jumping fences were seriously annoying but is now fixed=)

So basically I find all this small things very annoying as a total, I keep dying because I never find guns, only hatchets, and hatchets are crap, so zombies hit me and I start bleeding to death, have to run fast to stop bleeding but they chase me everywhere, I'm using a bandage when one of them travels through a wall and starts hitting me, run again... I finally escape and I need blood, I'm playing solo so I need to cook meat, box of matches is like precious metals, found 4-5 in like 20-30 games, so I have to search dozens of buildings where super zombies will eventually hit me or a player will kill me from who knows where.

As a final note, I was at a point where I would buy warz or arma2oa for dayZ, but because I wanted a realistic hard simulator, I didn't have any doubt it had to be dayz, so again don't bother writing childish attack comments.

My question is, how do you people avoid this? What am I doing wrong?

Practice, practice, practice. Avoid zombies.

Also, the map is based off of real-world satellite data, and it took two years to make, so the buildings aren't "random".

Sounds like you just need a bit more game time dude.

Hatchet is a good weapon once you find the sweet spot - practice, run the zeds indoors and kill em at the doorways, back up a bit and kill the next one, rinse repeat

Once you know the spots you will (should) be geared up within 30 mins max of joining a server.

The vault is fine, just practice. I know some people who just cannot seem to get the hang of it though..they do not see the humour in it obviously as they ballet dance near a fence whilst under zed attack. I do.

Random arma death is random, rocks , doors etc..but i have put in a serious amount of time in this mod and only had 1 rock glitch death and 1 door attack. I stay the fuck away from rocks and always have morhine in case of the angry door.

Never go anywhere without Morphine.

That's exactly what I try to do with the hatchet, but zombies can hit me from very far, its odd, but I understand why it has to be like that.

Vault is horrible ;) But now they added the ground dive, amazing work, problem solved and with style.

Never died or got hurt by a door but Ive been attacked endless times by zombies through walls and zombies who travel through doors and walls and hit me from behind.

Well the problem with morphine is that its rare, so far only seen it in the hospitals, never seen anywhere else, so for a new spawn its risky to go into the hottest place in the cities, plus new players don't know the map well enough while pvp campers do.

Think about what you are doing, have some sort of basic plan instead of just ..fuck yih boy! going to Cherno pew pew. Take your time and play the survival game, its the coolest way imo. Overlook all towns first, take your time and stop every now and again and just look around, always check your six no matter where you are.

That's why Im frustrated, Im doing that, Im planning, Im trying alternatives and they are not working, mainly due to the randomness I don't like, which I understand if others like it that way.

not to be a dick, but it really sounds like you're moaning that you don't know the game yet. aside from the obvious glitching through walls type stuff. there is so much morphine, matches aren't that hard to find, axes aren't difficult to kill with and you should always have enough bandages...they're abundant. sounds like you're going to the wrong places. back to the fact that you don't know the game yet. for a new spawn it is entirely "risk free" (what do you have to lose?) to go into a city to try to gear up. nb "a city" isn't always cherno/elektro.

Edited by Dankine
  • Like 1

The fact that people have learned to adapt to shitty AI scripting and horrible mechanical flaws in the game dynamics does not in any way diminish the fact that those flaws exist.

This kid's pointing out some of the most glaring problems with the mod which are only exacerbated when shit like 1.7.5.1 comes out and magnifies all of these problems rather than fixing them.

The game has [more than] some stupidity in it... And it has nothing to do with being a survival mod. A few examples:

1) you can have a gun (hands), a rifle (shoulder) an hatchet (tool-belt) but you CAN'T have a gun(pocket), a rifle (shoulder) an hatchet (hands), you must drop your rifle. Why?

2) You cut wood from a tree (fine) and you must have it in your inventory to make a fireplace. Stupid. Drop the f***ing wood, then make a fireplace and light it with matches

3) I try to store a weapon in the backpack and there isn't enough room, the weapon disappears. WTF? Where did it go? The mother of all zombies has eaten it? Make it fall to the ground, what's wrong with that?

Those are asinine glitches, which do not make the game more realistic or harder, but just more annoying. The game could be better without those problems.

_Anubis_.

You just need to spend ten minutes learning which building give out loot. Seriously. If you do this all your problems will be fixed.

You keep on saying that bandages/morphine/inset X item here is rare as hell; fact is they're not rare, at all, not in the slightest. They are all extremely common, especially bandages and morphine (hell, even matches are stupidly easy to find).

The only rare and hard to find items in this game, from my experience are the following: NVG's, GPS, Rangefinder, Antibiotics(pre 1.7.5), Higher tier backpacks, higher tier weapons (M4A1 CCO SD/SVD Camo/Heli crash site weapons). Everything else in the game is ridiculously easy to find, but you need to actually put the effort in to learn where they spawn, when, and also, how they spawn. If you do that you won't be having any issues.

Edited by Pokey

Practice, practice, practice. Avoid zombies.

Also, the map is based off of real-world satellite data, and it took two years to make, so the buildings aren't "random".

Well the map topography can be based on real life satellite data, but doubt the villages and cities are, still that is a macro topography of the map, hardly the map details I'm talking about, check any real place countryside for yourself and tell me if this map reflects anything in real life, its just a topographic map with pointy sticks coming out of it and odd towns, that much there's no argue against, I'm just saying it could use some improvement, if not on the micro topography, then add more things coming out of it, stones, houses, whatever.

And do not mistake my intentions here, I'm just pointing out something that could use some improvement.

not to be a dick, but it really sounds like you're moaning that you don't know the game yet. aside from the obvious glitching through walls type stuff. there is so much morphine, matches aren't that hard to find, axes aren't difficult to kill with and you should always have enough bandages...they're abundant. sounds like you're going to the wrong places. back to the fact that you don't know the game yet. for a new spawn it is entirely "risk free" (what do you have to lose?) to go into a city to try to gear up. nb "a city" isn't always cherno/elektro.

Well maybe Im being just unlucky, but morphine is like diamonds and matches is like gold, really hard to find, bandages are much more common but sometimes are not spread enough, I can go through 10-20 buildings without finding any.

But is the point of the game to know the map spawn points and rush there? Or is it to explore and survive via multiple paths? Because if the game is about knowing the map to get the stuff I think its bad.

The fact that people have learned to adapt to shitty AI scripting and horrible mechanical flaws in the game dynamics does not in any way diminish the fact that those flaws exist.

This kid's pointing out some of the most glaring problems with the mod which are only exacerbated when shit like 1.7.5.1 comes out and magnifies all of these problems rather than fixing them.

Hey I'm not a kid! =)

But I agree with what you said, just because people learned the exploits to go around the game flaws doesn't make the flaws non existent.

The Hatchet is a great example, people keep saying its a killing machine but I miss 75% of the hacks with it, hacks that Im sure Im in range and Im sure I aimed properly.

The game has [more than] some stupidity in it... And it has nothing to do with being a survival mod. A few examples:

1) you can have a gun (hands), a rifle (shoulder) an hatchet (tool-belt) but you CAN'T have a gun(pocket), a rifle (shoulder) an hatchet (hands), you must drop your rifle. Why?

2) You cut wood from a tree (fine) and you must have it in your inventory to make a fireplace. Stupid. Drop the f***ing wood, then make a fireplace and light it with matches

3) I try to store a weapon in the backpack and there isn't enough room, the weapon disappears. WTF? Where did it go? The mother of all zombies has eaten it? Make it fall to the ground, what's wrong with that?

Those are asinine glitches, which do not make the game more realistic or harder, but just more annoying. The game could be better without those problems.

_Anubis_.

Well this things are really annoying, specially the change hatchet to gun thing, it really needs to be worked on.

But this problems are for the most, not life threatening so they are random annoyances we have to deal with.

Hello there

The map data is scarily realistic. It's not just topography. Do a search through these forums for photos of "chenarus" and you'll see how well it's done. It's shocking.

Rgds

L

You just need to spend ten minutes learning which building give out loot. Seriously. If you do this all your problems will be fixed.

You keep on saying that bandages/morphine/inset X item here is rare as hell; fact is they're not rare, at all, not in the slightest. They are all extremely common, especially bandages and morphine (hell, even matches are stupidly easy to find).

The only rare and hard to find items in this game, from my experience are the following: NVG's, GPS, Rangefinder, Antibiotics(pre 1.7.5), Higher tier backpacks, higher tier weapons (M4A1 CCO SD/SVD Camo/Heli crash site weapons). Everything else in the game is ridiculously easy to find, but you need to actually put the effort in to learn where they spawn, when, and also, how they spawn. If you do that you won't be having any issues.

So what you are saying is that I'm supposed to rush always to the same places to get stuff, where is the fun in that? Spawn, rush here, then rush there, then rush wherever, always the same routine, not fun, not fun at all.

Half of the fun in this game is the exploration of locations, running on a hill and all of a sudden there's a small village, go there check it out, find stuff.

But no, there's never anything there because... Im supposed to raid cherno or electro to get gear over and over again, maybe it the airfield, over and over again...

Hardly impressive and boring as hell. Keep in mind that to raid other towns a new player has to run for hours, only to find out they are just worse than electro or cherno, so what's the point in losing an hour to get north or inland if there's no reward to it.

Next time you play, turn the lights off turn the volume up (turn off music in game)

Practice, Practice, Practice

You will go through all the joy and hatred this game offers. When you can do the basics and get around easier, you will enjoy it even more.