exiler

Shields (Low,Medium,Heavy Protection)

Hi Ingot here,

I have been thinking over the past few days "wait a minute.... there is no shields in Dayz" okay, I came up with a few suggestions. In an Apocalypse people would make things out of anything so here goes...

(Please note that protection against bullets means low mm rounds. Also the % are a set example and not the final number. Plus all shields take up a secondary slot.)

Ability to put the shield on your back: *

Low Protection

Halved out Log with rope that straps around your left arm. (This gives a low protection to melee weapons with a Max of 12.5% and No protection against bullets.)

Piece of Tin Roofing with rope that straps around your left arm. (This gives a low protection to melee weapons with a Max of 18.9% and No protection against bullets.)

Medium Protection

Round Wooden shield with a pointy iron half circle in the middle, I don't know its proper name​. (This gives a Medium protection to melee weapons with a Max of 32.1% and 4.7% protection against bullets.)*

Medieval Square Shield that can be found in castles. (14.3% chance to find it), (This gives a Medium protection to melee weapons with a Max of 49.5% and 11% protection against bullets.)*

Spiked Medieval Square Shield that can be found in castles. (9% chance to find it), (This gives a Medium protection to melee weapons with a Max of 61.5% and 19% protection against bullets, Also the ability to stab people with it. However it is slow and is inaccurate with a max damage of 320 blood.

High Protection

Riot Shield (Round), can be found in all military barracks. (3.2% chance to find it) (This gives a Medium protection to melee weapons with a Max of 31.2% and 39.6% protection against bullets.)*

Riot Shield (Square), can be found in all military barracks (1.4% chance to find it) (This gives a Medium protection to melee weapons with a Max of 42.4% and 57.2% protection against bullets.)

Thanks for taking your time to read this,

Ingot

--------Update--------

~Added the ability to mount shields to your back

~

~

~

Edited by Ingot
  • Like 1

18.9%...14.3%...32.1%...14.3%...49.5%...61.5%...31.2%...39.6%...42.4%...57.2%

How did you come up with those numbers?

How did you come up with those numbers?

I took a basic approach but they are just set as an example. If you have a excellent approach to working the % out please do so.

Kind regards,

Ingot

Should take up your secondary slot and take longer to switch between primary and secondary, shield on back, gun in hand, vice-versa... also some shields such as riot shields should be almost as rare as nvgs, or only spawn at crash sites and barracks.

Should take up your secondary slot and take longer to switch between primary and secondary, shield on back, gun in hand, vice-versa... also some shields such as riot shields should be almost as rare as nvgs, or only spawn at crash sites and barracks.

Thanks for your comment, I had a set goal for the % of chances to find them but this is a basic example. Also good idea about the ability to put them on your back for protection.

I like your ideas, but think if implemented they should be limited to makeshift shields or police/swat/riot shields, not medieval stuff (honestly the castles would have been picked clean either by archiologists or relic hunters long ago, and if they did have anything it would be in very bad condition). Maybe cut a piece of plywood into a shield shape and making a handle, protection from zombies and some melee, and limited weapons fire, or by adding a handle to a windscreen or a car hood/door

Most riot shields aren't even slightly bullet-proof. Some might be, but most are used for riot control.

They're designed to protect against thrown projectiles/shrapnel.

Medieval shields would be more likely in a museum. It's highly unlikely that any relics would be left in these castles, considering they are probably tourist attractions.

They're on the map, so there's a good chance somebody has already collected their treasures for posterity.

Hello there

I have to agree with Cabowski.

Also, in a weapon rich environ as the MOD and with the lack of melee mechanics it rather makes shields redundant.

IF the game was more melee based then shields might be applicable, but not as it stands IMHO.

Your post was well thought out though. Keep it up.

Rgds

LoK

The idea for shields to be in a zombie survival scenario makes way too much sense to not be one of the first thoughts for the developers i'm surprised that there has been no mention of such items yet. Not sure if you mean for there to be shield mode and weapon mode as separate stances (pressing spacebar when melee weapon is out to toggle) or passive with no downsides?