Sign in to follow this  
Michaelvoodoo25

So rocket, a western city eh?

A fictional US city that is similar to LA - ranging from massive urban city with ghettos, upmarket malls and mansions, long high streets etc and gradually expands out into quiet rural areas and maybe even desert. Kind of like San Andreas on GTA

Detroit is already basically abandoned and infested with people who might as well be zombies so the research won't be too hard.

Might be more dangerous than researching the Greek island Limnos though.

I guess the downtown are could be quarantined by barricades and maybe by the time they begin design, they've also begun coding instances, making the rural areas or suburban neighborhoods a separate instance.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

barcelona fits the bill, surrounded by rugged terrain including mountains and forest

edit - Durban (south africa) too, with great white sharks in the ocean and lions roaming the land, rambling townships, thick forest, mountains, rivers and modern ctiy scapes. Not to mention zulu zeds

Edited by wabbit

I think Iceland would be cool. Let's say it is the last place on earth were the infection haven't spread and people come from all around to seek shelter only to have a second outbreak and only a few survivors. Military forces flying in in aircraft only to die, so we can have our precious guns and plenty of envirnomental change for hotsprings to cold targa climate, to destructive volcanos.

The lack of forest could be changed though.

If it's in Edinburgh, I better get a claymore.

I will scream freedom while charging into a crowd of zombies.

edit - Durban (south africa) too, with great white sharks in the ocean and lions roaming the land, rambling townships, thick forest, mountains, rivers and modern ctiy scapes. Not to mention zulu zeds

You been watching Charley Boorman too?

I am more interested in terrain than cities too, cities suck..give us more interesting nature like cliffs, caves, waterfalls, rivers, valleys etc.. but i hope further down the line we get something at least twice to four times the size of Cherno for those weekly shopping trips.

• Like 2

I vote for a Paris inspired city. Nice, big city with great countryside. A city based on Paris or London, both are great, however I want snowy mountains integrated as well.

Actually, if those aren't 'western' enough, I'm all for a New Orleans styled map. Has a lot of swamp surrounding area too which would be cool.

Morocco style would be pretty cool too. A mixture of a large Arabic city with beaches, bush land and desert

• Like 1

Western city, surrounded by mountains and woods.

Ft Smith Arkansas.

Has airfield (airforce).

Has airport (regional airport)

Has military base (army national guard - Ft Chaffee - couple air strips on there as well) is a few miles from city actually in next city over Barling.

Smaller national guard armory outside the base.

Has a couple of outlying smaller towns.

Rougly the right size for map (a 25x25 km map would cover it... with still a decent area around .... 30x30 would be better).

River running through it (zombie infested bridges anyone? .. still good plot... you washed down the river from somewhere.)

Plus: if you made the map with city of Ft Smith centered, and spawned folks in the west.... the city would act like a major barrier to the airfield and army base to the east. Forcing navigation through the city to get into the mil bases.

They should do it in the magical land of narnia, it has lions and witches and wardrobes and stuff. It's in New Zealand probably.

I like it's places know one knows really and kept small. You cant do NY that would take the whole map.

Don’t get me wrong block fights and Heli jumps from skyscraper to skyscraper would be interesting but a huge City would be a Zed's fest.

The biggest task with any major terrain is all the individual model assets required to make it look even halfway believable...

Take a look around Cherno next time you play - a good look... Everything you see apart from the ground surface under your feet and the sky above your head is a model of one kind or another - there's a lot of different models required to make a "city"... that requires skilled modellers - and time, lots of time..

Now Cherno isn't really too heavily populated by "major cities", yet it's fairly well known that it took a whole team of pro-modellers a year or more to make.. how long would you guess New York would take??

I've made a terrain or two in my time, and a building or two, and they're not simple boxes, especially when people are keen on enterable buildings... a medium-sized enterable building, from initial design idea to finished, textured and working in-game could easily be a weeks work or more for a pro-modeller...

Take a walk down the high street of any medium sized town - how many different buildings do you see? - how many would you need for a city? a couple of hundred? - that's a couple of hundred "man-weeks" work - 4 years for a single modeller - a year for a team of four, 6 months for a team of eight???

Then there's the traffic lights, traffic cones, postboxes, streetlamps, streetsigns, pavements, roads, walls, fences, bollards, phoneboxes, billboards... the zillion other things that you need to make any urban location look even halfway authentic...

Then you'll need a terrain to put them all on, plus all the "natural" model assets that requires...

And then you have to put the two together - assemble all the models into coherent locations....

A Big City - a proper "western" one, is a great ambition, and I've no doubt Rocket will make it happen in time, but it's not going to happen overnight...

What's perhaps of more immediate interest is the possibility of porting some of the Arma2 Community terrains to the forthcoming new DayZ runtime when it appears... There's a wealth of beautiful terrains available from talented Arma 2 Community artists. Gaining permission to, or interesting the original authors in, porting some of these to the New DayZ would provide a tremendous variety of new Infestation Areas until the next proper, official terrain arrives...

In fact, I know of at least one or two "nominally Arma2" terrains which are currently in-progress and which are intended for the new DayZ when it appears...

No Major Cities though.... ;)

B

Edited by Bushlurker
  • Like 1

It will never be in Glasgow or Edinburgh, the chav's would knife so many zombies that the zombies would be to scared to come!

It will never be in Glasgow or Edinburgh, the chav's would knife so many zombies that the zombies would be to scared to come!

Chav is a discriminatory and prejudiced term. Naughty Darryl.

Anyway, they'll all be dead.

And I hope they get the toffs first :D as Edinburgh is full of posh twats.

Chav is a discriminatory and prejudiced term. Naughty Darryl.

Anyway, they'll all be dead.

And I hope they get the toffs first :D as Edinburgh is full of posh twats.

I can see a group of druggies holding out in their crack den.

Don't get me started on England :P

I can see a group of druggies holding out in their crack den.

Don't get me started on England :P

lol we'd have a field day mate :D