not_today_son.

Thoughts on the M107 / AS50

In my opinion the M107 / AS50 really does not fit into the "Post-Apocalypse" DayZ. Not to mention it's oneshot capability. I don't agree with simply deleting those one-shot sniper rifles, but instead replace them with something more "balanced", especially on the range / zeroing aspect.

It's not like there is only the M107 / AS50 anti-material sniper rifles in the game, I tried the KVSK sniper rifle a few times in the Armory, and came to the solution this would fit more into DayZ rather than the Semi-Auto M107 / AS50.

First, a few facts on the KVSK:

- it's a russian sniper rifle that uses a 12.7mm x 107mm cartridge, the only gun so far i know that uses this ammunition.

- it's a bolt-action, 5 round-magazine rifle

- it has no zeroing but the same scope the SVD uses

Differences between the M107 / AS50 and the KVSK:

- the KVSK is limited to a scope-effective range of 800m, everything beyond that range is estimation

- due to the fact it has no zeroing, it aquires knowledge of how the scope behaves for different ranges, making it practically useless for less-experienced snipers

- it's ammo is really rare, since, other than the AS50 or the M107, it's ammunition cannot be found in any other places than heli-crashes and maybe a very small chance of finding it's ammunition in Barracks

- it's hearing-range should be between the AS50's and the M107's.

it would be a reasonable compromise between the current situation and the "no one-shot sniper rifles at all" point of view.

i am curious of what other people think of it.

• Like 8

In my opinion the M107 / AS50 really does not fit into the "Post-Apocalypse" DayZ. Not to mention it's oneshot capability. I don't agree with simply deleting those one-shot sniper rifles, but instead replace them with something more "balanced", especially on the range / zeroing aspect.

It's not like there is only the M107 / AS50 anti-material sniper rifles in the game, I tried the KVSK sniper rifle a few times in the Armory, and came to the solution this would fit more into DayZ rather than the Semi-Auto M107 / AS50.

First, a few facts on the KVSK:

- it's a russian sniper rifle that uses a 12.7mm x 107mm cartridge, the only gun so far i know that uses this ammunition.

- it's a bolt-action, 5 round-magazine rifle

- it has no zeroing but the same scope the SVD uses

Differences between the M107 / AS50 and the KVSK:

- the KVSK is limited to a scope-effective range of 800m, everything beyond that range is estimation

- due to the fact it has no zeroing, it aquires knowledge of how the scope behaves for different ranges, making it practically useless for less-experienced snipers

- it's ammo is really rare, since, other than the AS50 or the M107, it's ammunition cannot be found in any other places than heli-crashes and maybe a very small chance of finding it's ammunition in Barracks

- it's hearing-range should be between the AS50's and the M107's.

it would be a reasonable compromise between the current situation and the "no one-shot sniper rifles at all" point of view.

i am curious of what other people think of it.

I'll have to upload a few videos of Wastelanding it up with the KVSK' - 950 - 1000 meters no problem with out wind... I am more deadly with this weapon. Able to range, and swiftly get on target make this weapon a nasty piece. I agree it would seem to fit more into the situation - but it wouldn't make it any less deadly in the hands of someone good...

I use both weapons in the mod atm, However I have lately felt that they may be a *bit* overpowered in certain cases. However at the same time as having this feeling I do believe that it is important to have a "1 hit kill" sniper. As this would only make sense... I do agree with what you have said though, that instead of just deleting them, rather supplement them with something more appropriate. Imo, I believe that a good replacement for the as50/m107 is the lapua. As it has very high damage which means a 1 shot kill. But at the same time, it is bolt action rather than semi auto and carries 5 shots per mag. I think making these very rare* could be an option.

Another idea which I have had recently is: Let players have the M107/AS50 "cannons" but include some sort of disadvantage of carrying/using them, for instnace: if you are carrying of the two guns, you can not have a backpack at the same time, etc....

Something along those lines would make sense to me. Just my 2 cents... :/ sorry if this makes no sense... currently on my mobile :P

• Like 1

No scoped weapons and no semi/auto rifles would be swell, it is way to unbalanced with all the heavy duty military weapons. We are all survivors, but if you look at the available weapon arsenal it is a military mod with zombies. I think I hate the grenade launchers the most, it's so lame to get killed by that. Just because ArmA has all these nice weapons does not mean they all should be placed in the mod. Shotguns hatchets and pistols is more then enough.

• Like 1

Fill Wasteland with all the super weapons that the BF3/CoD you want, but these should be

I agree with you but also disagree.

Here is how I'd like snipers with AM properties in Dayz.

1, AS50's completely removed from spawning and their place at crash sites replaced by M107's. M107 mags may only be found at helicopter crash sites with the weapons itself.

2, M107's are removed from barracks spawning and replaced by the KSVK, The 5 round ammunition can only be found at medium and high tier loot area's I,E Firestations and barracks.

This is just my thoughts on the subject though.

Edited by burritoman259

50 cals are actually very hard to come by, just if loot farming and hacking gets dealt with. I found my first M107 only a month ago. Still got it.

Totally agreed. AS50 is way too powerful to be handled by civilians like the characters we play.

I do agree that the As50 and M107 don't really fit with the atmosphere of the game, and as others have said, I would prefer an emphasis on more soviet-era weapons.

However, I think any weapon should be a one-shot kill (Or a delayed kill), as long as it hits a vital organ. Large caliber weapons would be easier to one-shot with, but I'm sick of unloading several clips of makarov bullets into someone just to watch them run away.

They need to be A LOT rarer. I find one at almost every unlooted heli crash I see... They need to be rare as NVG. And NVG can be as rare as they are currently now.

AS for realism. Try I don't think dayz should have it but I feel like it should be here. Maybe you need to do something or have something to be able to use it...

Edited by harley001

Hopefully , if the game becomes more about , "I am hungry again , where the hell am I going to get my next meal from and how much ammo will I need to get it" , camping on top of a hill with 5 shots in your 50 cal , just won't put food in the belly , and won't really allow you to get more with ease .

I can snipe any target up to 700 meters away with 1 shot (further away it gets less precise) if he stands still for a few secs. In ArmA you can't see someone that is in a prone position from 100 meters away and if he is lying behind a bush you can't see him at all. So you can't defend nor avoid getting sniped if someone has a M107, therefor sniping rifles and scoped rifles in general gives players a huge unfair advantage.

What do you mean? M107 and AS50 are TOTALLY realistic! In fact, other weapons make this game unrealistic! I demand a fighter jet with hand held gatling snipers in them be placed every five feet! And every building explodes when you shoot it! Ahahaha! AHAHAHAHA!

• Like 2

What do you mean? M107 and AS50 are TOTALLY realistic! In fact, other weapons make this game unrealistic! I demand a fighter jet with hand held gatling snipers in them be placed every five feet! And every building explodes when you shoot it! Ahahaha! AHAHAHAHA!

lawl, in that case I want the Mini-Nuke from the Fallout games :)

Yeah, I totally agree with you. The mod was supposed to be an anti-game, so we need powerful weapons. But honestly, high powered .50 caliber marksmen rifles need serious drawbacks. Imagine heavy recoil, so heavy you can't make a follow up shot for several seconds. Make it to where you can only fire in the prone position(even if most people with common sense use snipers in the prone position from a distance) to make it useless for CQB. And make the ammo so rare you can only find it with the weapon itself, so you have to either work for the ammunition or be very conservative with how you use it. But no matter how much you nerf these sniper rifles, there will always be a sniper to use it.

I hate the as50 its a shit c**T weapon for sure..

I would take a DMR over 1 of those 50. rifle cause the as50 looks out of proportion to the player model its huge !

Remove noob range finder mode in the server options and there fly the scoped rifles because hardly anyone can guess distances that accurate...

I don't agree with the idea of balancing gameplay. I think that goes against the spirit of the mod.

Remove weapons because they're unlikely to exist in an eastern bloc country, not because they're "overpowered".

Remove noob range finder mode in the server options and there fly the scoped rifles because hardly anyone can guess distances that accurate...

I'm sure that there are plenty of ArmA players that can accurately guess the distance, some players play ArmA and OPF for many years. It might not be 1 shot 1 kill, but 2 shots 1 kill still makes them very deadly.

Wouldn't mind seeing all sniper rifles toned down in their spawn rates. Hit three heli crash sites yesterday and saw two 107's.

Fill Wasteland with all the super weapons that the BF3/CoD you want, but these should be

but.....but these should be.....what?!

I'm sure that there are plenty of ArmA players that can accurately guess the distance, some players play ArmA and OPF for many years. It might not be 1 shot 1 kill, but 2 shots 1 kill still makes them very deadly.

Might be but judging from my team i play with 75% can't estimate distances...

Might be but judging from my team i play with 75% can't estimate distances...

yea, I can probably guess distance accurately out to about 400 meters, after that it deteriorates rapidly lol.