not_today_son.

Thoughts on the M107 / AS50

I like the whole realism aspect of having .50 rifles. I just don't like how sniper rifles in general are the most valued weapon in the game. This is just due to the Arma II engine. If they made the snipers only accurate when looking down the site, and made assault rifles side to side movement inaccuracy, they'd be only valued in sniper positions.

Have no experience with ACE, but I thought the whole thing was to be done without HUD or other help (so you learn to estimate wind strength &direction), also range table would have to be a lootable item (if you find it with the rifle you're good, if not you get to make your own for the specific rifle/caliber).

Can't have it all I guess

Not in my experience, wind estimation is done by a coloured arrow. However, it doesn't give exact values, for that you need the Kestrel 4500 wind meter.

The color of the arrow will indicate approximately what the airspeed currently is. Yellow: below 3 kph. Orange: 3+ Red: 6+ Violet: 9+

I don't agree with the idea of balancing gameplay. I think that goes against the spirit of the mod.

Remove weapons because they're unlikely to exist in an eastern bloc country, not because they're "overpowered".

according to cannon (as far as i know) British special forces was deployed when the zombie virus was detected. so... duct tape?

Ohh you are like a dude that only agrees on his own opinions, other people just need to fuck off. Well I wont, so bite me. If you don't agree thats fine, but try to act like you have some working brain cells and respond constructively otherwise you gtfo, kay.

The game EVE is unfair too, but it contains restrictions and IS balanced so it can be both. Some dude behind a bush with a M107 snipping everyone of from 500 meters away has nothing to do about skills and basically kills the immersion of being a simple survivor/bandit, same for uber machineguns and grenade launchers and the likes. Thats my opinion, deal with it.

however rocket himself said that if you were looking for balance, go somewhere else. he is not going to give it to you.

I'm the party pooper for people like you.

I understand you're not complaining, but you are complaining in an indirect way. (Contradiction win)

To sum everything up, this isn't going to happen. You're not going to bend the will of the devs to replace them. It's part of the mod, and it forever will be. Don't like it? Find a private hive server or make your own and ban the weapons. Don't bitch about it on the forums and try and have them removed entirely from the base mod. Implying you can modify it your way if you get your own server I think.

It doesn't unbalance the game, it adds another fear factor right next to other bandits and zombies. If you're sick of being killed, harden the fuck up and welcome to DayZ motherfucker - You're destined to die.

Oh and for the faggots that cry "BUH I GET KILLED EVERY TIME ON THE COAST I HATE IT MAKES ME ANGRY WAAAH" perhaps take a different approach? Enter smaller towns or go in land if you can get your hands on a pistol. Go around, find shit. Don't take the same tactic over and over.

Not in my experience, wind estimation is done by a coloured arrow. However, it doesn't give exact values, for that you need the Kestrel 4500 wind meter.

Snipers judge the windage correction required by observing wind effects on foliage etc. along the path of the intended shot. For a shot over 500 metres in complex terrain, it's entirely likely that you will have different wind directions at the firing point and at the target location and an experienced shooter will be able to estimate the mean windage required to land the bullet on target.

Jesus christ... I remember the days when games had weapons that one shot people and nobody started to whine about "unbalancing" or "Remove that weapon, it's to OP!!" Then came WoW and the nerf bomb went off. Now all of a sudden EVERYTHING that kills ANYONE faster than that person could have shot you is overpowered.

I'm to old for this shit.

About the weapons, I love the M107. I don't use it very much, in fact I haven't used any sniper rifle at all to kill any body. I've shot some trees and zombies and scared the fucking shit out of a friend but that's it. I don't think they should be remove from the game.

I look at it this way, what's the difference between a sniper that takes 2 shots and 1 shots? Nothing really, with two shots you get hit and bleed ALOT and you get some broken legs, now you can't move very good, and before you realize to get your inventory up, use a morphine, bandage, standing up, run away you have probably been dead for 20 seconds.

So basicly the difference is that you can think one thought extra with getting hit by 2 bullets that one bullets. Like this "Oh no I got shot...... Damn" But one bullet it's this "Oh no, I got shot.... restarting/logged out."

Edited by Snilex
  • Like 1

I understand you're not complaining, but you are complaining in an indirect way. (Contradiction win)

To sum everything up, this isn't going to happen. You're not going to bend the will of the devs to replace them. It's part of the mod, and it forever will be. Don't like it? Find a private hive server or make your own and ban the weapons. Don't bitch about it on the forums and try and have them removed entirely from the base mod. Implying you can modify it your way if you get your own server I think.

It doesn't unbalance the game, it adds another fear factor right next to other bandits and zombies. If you're sick of being killed, harden the fuck up and welcome to DayZ motherfucker - You're destined to die.

Oh and for the faggots that cry "BUH I GET KILLED EVERY TIME ON THE COAST I HATE IT MAKES ME ANGRY WAAAH" perhaps take a different approach? Enter smaller towns or go in land if you can get your hands on a pistol. Go around, find shit. Don't take the same tactic over and over.

I'm not the kind of guy that thinks everyone's friendly in DayZ, in fact, i am most of the time doing KoS-style, whenever i play "friendly" for once, i end up getting shot in the back so yeah ..

apart from that .. i always get my basic loot (Enfield, AKs, M16A2, M4A1 etc.) from low value military or residential / industrial / farm buildings in smaller towns (exception Balota Airstrip, where most of the time nobody's near, and Chernogorsk, where you can avoid being sniped by some douche before you get a weapon that makes u competitive against his)

believe it or not, i've been killed only twice by M107s / AS50s during my play time and got my hands on those weapons often enough, and none of those deaths were on Chernarus (1x Taviana and 1x Isladuala)

i don't really mind if they keep the M107 / AS50 in the game, as long as they add the KSVK (zeroing is for people who can't aim)

Edited by not_today_son.

Jesus christ... I remember the days when games had weapons that one shot people and nobody started to whine about "unbalancing" or "Remove that weapon, it's to OP!!" Then came WoW and the nerf bomb went off. Now all of a sudden EVERYTHING that kills ANYONE faster than that person could have shot you is overpowered.

Part of what makes this game awesome is that it throws all that bullshit out the window.

• Like 2

You try getting up from a sniper rifle hit. You're going to be missing an arm, or have a pretty big hole through your body. So to say they are overpowered is clearly not the problem. The problem is that they are extremely easy to use in game. And you can recover far too easily.

They should make sniper rifles as hard to use as the new helicopter system that they said will be difficult.

If you got hit by a round and survived, a bandage, a morphine and a bloodbag should not be sufficient to heal you.

• Like 1

They should stay. However I think the KSVK should be a lot more common than both M107 & AS50 as should the other russian sniper rifles and the american,british made far more rarer. But to a good sniper it doesnt matter which rifle he uses they are all deadly and one shot kills.

I've used all the sniper rifles in the game and can one shot with any of them, I can also one shot with any assault rifle including the sd variants.

Stop aiming for the body and go for head shots they are one shot kills no matter what weapon you have.

Stop aiming for the body and go for head shots they are one shot kills no matter what weapon you have.

The problem with headshots is that those that whine about Snipers can't aim that good WITH a sniper.

I know I couldn't but i still think they should remain and be unchanged. I shoot in the body, one shot in the body is gonna give me plenty of time to finish my target off. That target wont have the time to get up and fix himself by the time I fire next shot so it doesn't really matter if you need one or two shots. The ending is gonna be the same. Then again, I don't use snipers that often and I don't tend to kill other players... But when I do...

Doing headshots only is an arcadish way of playing this game and guarantees your death if you miss which is frequent given that it's a small target and moving in most cases. IRL you aim for the largest possible target and that would be the torso and give it a number of hits to be sure.

The most funny thing about what you wrote is that you actually mean it too. What Rocket did was adding some zombies and basically every bad ass military weapon ArmA contains on an ArmA map, I don't see much thought behind that, the fact that it is so unbalanced is because Rocket did not think it through (or has a weird way of thinking lol). Despite that, everyone is still raving about it so kudo's for him. In this state I will not buy it when it gets released as a stand alone, no way. Do you seriously think that I will spend hours if not days looting just to have my head blown off by a random dude half click away on a hill with an uber rifle or a guy behind a bush with a grenade launcher? I like kinky SM, but not in a game with looting and zombies and where you build up a persistent character.

Ohh and don get me wrong, I like the DayZ idea and the mod in general. I am a sucker for post apocalyptic settings, so yeah. But, there is also something like balancing. And with balancing I mean the skill factor. And thus not the loot factor that you find or hack an uber rifle and go camp on a hill to pawn players that can basically do nothing against it. If the scoped weapons would have some camshake going on or a wind factor then it would be an other thing, but now it is just lame as there is almost no skills involved, just the fact that you have an uber weapon is enough, and you gotta have beans of course. I love to see only un-scoped weapons in dayZ and sure it may even be auto-rifles. People like you are behaving that you are some hardcore badasses and people that have other ideas about that are pussies, but in fact the pussies are you, cos you need uber weapons. Hell, I would go for a Dayz with only pistols and basic rifles/shotguns, thats more hardcore then lame ass uber rifles and helicopter gunships. So who is the real pussy, thats the question.

Edited by B00tsy

The most funny thing about what you wrote is that you actually mean it too. What Rocket did was adding some zombies and basically every bad ass military weapon ArmA contains on an ArmA map, I don't see much thought behind that, the fact that it is so unbalanced is because Rocket did not think it through (or has a weird way of thinking lol). Despite that, everyone is still raving about it so kudo's for him. In this state I will not buy it when it gets released as a stand alone, no way. Do you seriously think that I will spend hours if not days looting just to have my head blown off by a random dude half click away on a hill with an uber rifle or a guy behind a bush with a grenade launcher? I like kinky SM, but not in a game with looting and zombies and where you build up a persistent character.

Ohh and don get me wrong, I like the DayZ idea and the mod in general. I am a sucker for post apocalyptic settings, so yeah. But, there is also something like balancing. And with balancing I mean the skill factor. And thus not the loot factor that you find or hack an uber rifle and go camp on a hill to pawn players that can basically do nothing against it. If the scoped weapons would have some camshake going on or a wind factor then it would be an other thing, but now it is just lame as there is almost no skills involved, just the fact that you have an uber weapon is enough, and you gotta have beans of course. I love to see only un-scoped weapons in dayZ and sure it may even be auto-rifles. People like you are behaving that you are some hardcore badasses and people that have other ideas about that are pussies, but in fact the pussies are you, cos you need uber weapons. Hell, I would go for a Dayz with only pistols and basic rifles/shotguns, thats more hardcore then lame ass uber rifles and helicopter gunships. So who is the real pussy, thats the question.

Then find another game to play. COD and BF seem to be a good game for you.

DayZ is not suppose to be easy. This have been said plenty of times, it's a survival simulator. It means that this game is suppose to be as close to a real life event where Zombies are suppose to be an enemy. And by looking at all Zombie movies, there are always bad guys. And trust me, if zombies came, they wouldn't run around destroying all military weapons. It's not like helicopters, some weapons that some people think will be to good with the wrong/right person behind and some other things would just go with the wind if an event like in DayZ would happend in real life.

I think if something like this would happen in real life. I'm 100% sure people would try to get the best weapon and as much of it as they can and try to survive.

And don't answer with that lame 13-year-old-i-suck-at-games sentence "This is just a game". We all know! And nobody is forced to buy the standalone so thank god you wont be there.

I among many other people will buy the game if they promise it will stay hard and not a game where they spoonfeed the gamers like Blizzard decide to do with World of Warcraft.

• Like 1

Then find another game to play. COD and BF seem to be a good game for you.

Thats exactly the opposite of the point of what I am trying to make, you pussy.

And p.s.

If it were to suppose to be realistic then you would not be able to fly a bad ass gunship or kill someone with a high class military rifle at long range with top accuracy.

Do you seriously think that I will spend hours if not days looting just to have my head blown off by a random dude half click away on a hill with an uber rifle or a guy behind a bush with a grenade launcher?

Yes. That's what makes this possibly my favourite game ever. I'm 31 right now and have been playing games since about 1988. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like what I feel when playing DayZ. It breaks all the rules.

I'm of the opinion that most people who cheat with scripts can't handle the game psychologically. They get extremely upset at how unfair the game is, and cheat to compensate.

I personally don't give them a second thought, but you're probably spot-on, Roo.

On the subject of OP-ness, I don't see the problem TBH.

In any situation in DayZ, about 80% of the outcome (in my awesome estimating skills) is due to luck.

I've personally hatcheted a couple of TWS 50cal dicks in my time.

Player skill should play a part in successful use of top-notch gear.

If they manage to ramp up the difficulty significantly, the lack of people willing to take the time to learn the correct techniques will allow gameplay to balance naturally and authentically.

Player skill should play a part in successful use of top-notch gear.

If they manage to ramp up the difficulty significantly, the lack of people willing to take the time to learn the correct techniques will allow gameplay to balance naturally and authentically.

Thats all I am saying too. With the addition that it can even be more hardcore for my taste and remove the uber weapons all together. But if the skill factor applies to using those weapons then that would already be a big improvement.

that would make it more hardcore for the 4 people with the As50s....and easier....for the rest of the server.....no

I think every weapon imaginable should be there I mean i am about to contradict myself but someone mentioned earlier have the M107 because a couple may have been left behind by the Americans. When you go to war you can say Ohh please don't use a thermal weapon its unfair on all of us that have a AK. Jesus It's DayZ don't get attached to you're loot.

I think every weapon imaginable should be there I mean i am about to contradict myself but someone mentioned earlier have the M107 because a couple may have been left behind by the Americans. When you go to war you can say Ohh please don't use a thermal weapon its unfair on all of us that have a AK. Jesus It's DayZ don't get attached to you're loot.

You can just as well add pink elephants with MG nests on their backs then. In the logic that everything possible should be added. Storyline and stuff is all fine, but in the end it's about playability and balancing and you build the story around that and not the other way around. And the storyline is not important at all if in practice the game is nothing more then a deathmatch on a large map with loot spawns. It's like saying that the storyine in Left4Death is crucial and important too while it's not, its a shooter with zombies and a plain deathmatch in MP mode.

Edited by B00tsy

I love how some people talk about "skills" when all of you who even mention it doesn't know what it exactly means.

Your definition of "skill" is a game mechanic that make YOU better. While the real definition of skill means you GET better at the game. Gotto love how some people refuse to realize that some people are better than them so they need some skill based mechanic to help them to become better instead of learning the god damn game.

I'm far from a skilled player(The correct definition of skill that is) and I'll probably not become one of those players either. But unlike all you kiddos, I can accept that and enjoy playing anyways. This problem have always existed, but the biggest problem today is that retarded game developers actually listen to these noobs and ruin the game completely.

If you suck, learn, if you can't learn, then enjoy your level of skill. If you can't enjoy it, games are probably not your type of hobby you should be spending time on. Go out and play soccer or an actual sport like dirt bike, snowmobile, quad, what ever. But hey, if you wanna go out say "Hey girl, wanna come home to me and play DayZ and eat a pizza?" instead of "Hey girl, I drive dirt bikes" and be 100% laid that night. Just saying. :)

The current game mechanics make using any weapon so incomprehensibly simple, it pretty much negates ANY skill requirement on the part of the player.

The number of people defending the current functionality is the truly retarded thing.

Making everything more complicated is the only way to go if the devs want YOUR skill to be more important than that of your game character. FACT

@B00tsy, I don't think any weapon should be removed. In fact, I'd like there to be a far greater variety, provided it fits with lore. Just make them all rare as fuck.

The simple fact is, IRL most people wouldn't be able to pick up and master any and all forms of weapon instantly, so they shouldn't do it in DayZ.

This isn't a CoD/BF run and gun game. There should be some requirement for players to actually know roughly what they're doing, in ALL situations.

EDIT: I think my response was probably a bit rude, so I changed it around.

EDIT2:

I love how some people talk about "skills" when all of you who even mention it doesn't know what it exactly means.
Example?

I know exactly what I mean when I say "skill".

There's no way in hell you could pop a skull at range unless you know how to work your rifle properly.

I'm not talking "character progression". That all can get to fuck.

I mean, just one example, the "zeroed XXXm" on the HUD needs to go.

If you want to range your rifle, you have to know how many clicks in whatever direction = the range you need.

Unless someone who has taught themselves teaches you how to do it, you should have to test it out for yourself, keep notes, and practice.

These skills shouldn't just apply to shooting.

Rocket has already mentioned that disease symptoms may be recognisable to people who are familiar with them or know what to look for.

IF foraging for berries/mushrooms etc. makes it into SA, there will be people who know what is safe to eat.

People with experience of things IRL should be able to apply their knowledge to DayZ. Everyone else will learn from experiencing these things as they play the game.

EDIT3:

Skill - The ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well.
Edited by Chabowski