liamg121

DayZ Fan Art Thread

I felt in the mood to paint something, since otherwise I would just hang around in Beresino ;)

Long live the graphics tablet ^^

That looks epic.

Thank you, I will make some more paintings when I have time. Something in daylight perhaps.

Meanwhile I made this little explanatory poster. I believe it should be hung in schools :)

>>Edit<< this is the worst uploader I have ever seen on any website...

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/MaBo123/dayz_difference.jpg

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

holy shit what programs/equipment did you use?!

Lol are you seriously asking him what is a pen and paper?

• Like 4

I sat down again and painted another. Used some photo refs where necessary.Can the admin up the "alotted disk space for attachments"? I can't upload any more pics, because I've reached my limit.

post-65301-0-03241800-1343901877_thumb.j

There are a few things I want to fix, not sure when I have time. I always want to make the next painting ^^ (btw - the car is a Shelby Mustang gt 500)

Edit - re-uploaded after slight edit

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I don't know if you would consider this fan art but I make Scrabble pendant necklaces and I made some DayZ related ones using the "Keep Calm" theme. I wouldn't recommend putting them on a key ring and sorry about the photo quality.

img0606la.jpg

• Like 5

did u all "cut the dayz logo out" or something? or is there a version with alpha channel available?

greats

*edit*:ok,i tested s.th. out not my best work^^ http://imgur.com/a/9O4l3#0

I took the black and white logo of Dayz (which basically is an Alpha), inverted it and put it on a layer in photoshop with the windows masked out. (So it would only show on the window/glas parts). The layer mode was multiply, which shows only the black parts and no white. I mirrored it to make it look like it's been applied from the outside. Then I used the Warp transformation to adjust it to the fisheye look of the camera.

When you paint something that has a far away silhouette or several layers of depth, make sure your colors in the foreground have the most saturation. Also layers that are the same distance from the camera/eye should have the same saturation (not necessarily the same color). It's all a bit tricky at the start, but you made a good effort there. Looking into color theory can't hurt.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I took the black and white logo of Dayz (which basically is an Alpha), inverted it and put it on a layer in photoshop with the windows masked out. (So it would only show on the window/glas parts). The layer mode was multiply, which shows only the black parts and no white. I mirrored it to make it look like it's been applied from the outside. Then I used the Warp transformation to adjust it to the fisheye look of the camera.

When you paint something that has a far away silhouette or several layers of depth, make sure your colors in the foreground have the most saturation. Also layers that are the same distance from the camera/eye should have the same saturation (not necessarily the same color). It's all a bit tricky at the start, but you made a good effort there. Looking into color theory can't hurt.

thx for reply,havent installed any 2d gfx prog (so i did it in c4d) and it was late last night,had spend enough time to find a very similar font.(had to hardreset my system,so all progs and fonts were gone)

in my case i think its a light setting prob,because i applied the same texture ...

i had never any artist education,i appreciate your tipp u might have a little something to read about,sth.like a certain link?

thank you

greets

p.s. yout last work is pretty impressive u did some layering in ps or something? i really like that style :)

Edited by mao

I actually made a render of a 3d model of the car. It's a so-called HDRI-Render, which uses the image of the environment (called "old industrial hall") for lighting and reflection on the model. I also placed some spotlights in the scene and applied a fisheye lense to the 3d camera. So that gave me some basic light and shadow and reflection information.

I then made a render and took the picture to photoshop, where I added the other parts from bits and piecesI found on the net (e.g. - just googled AK 74 for the weapon, and some photo reference for the guy). Then I painted in shadows and made his skin look broken, and I painted in parts of the hoody and the beard. I also added design and logo to the car, which was plain green in the render.

Then I only had to mask out the windows and floor and add some texture. Finally, I added the "Dayz" logo as was decribed above. the entire process of creating this image took roughly 3 hours. It may seem a lot, but considering it is quite detailed and still has a painted quality to it, it's an okay time. The cool thing is, I can now create tons of new art, using the same setup, exchanging backgrounds and car models. I just don't model that many cars, so if any of you have more 3D models, I'd be happy to use them, too.

I plan to use the Mustang for a more detailed and in-motion image, but I have to wreck it a little more first, which means remodeling. I also have a Citroen HY I modeled, which I might use in one of the next paintings. However, none of those are really Dayz vehicles. I do like modeling and rendering, but I love painting and painting over for quick results, design ideas and generally just creating key image content.

Color theory is a good and interesting topic to start. I remember I watched some Gnomon DVDs initially that drew me to the matter. This isn't the one I bought, but it is probably even better than what I watched:

http://www.thegnomon...Light-and-Color

Here's the one I have (older)

http://www.thegnomon...or#.UBrJgrQ0Okc

Cheers mate, thanks for the kind words.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

Can the admin up the "alotted disk space for attachments"? I can't upload any more pics, because I've reached my limit

Just use a image host, and include pictures through that. That dosent weigh on the forum qouta

Just use a image host, and include pictures through that. That dosent weigh on the forum qouta

Yes, but it also doesn't show as a thumbnail. Plus, why have an image viewer on this forum, if you can only upload 2 pics? At least for people that are regulars here or have creatted an account more than a month ago, they could open some more space.

• Like 1

i just had a few minutes at work of to try something with the dayz style ... for now i just did a iphone wallpaper, ill try to find the time to make a real wallpaper if u guys like it!

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1366/iphone4daywhite.jpg

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9511/iphone4dayzred.jpg

Edited by orangutanklaus

a quick sketch of a survived with a hatchet

9fvWy.jpg

Edited by P.Y.T
  • Like 12

Why wont it just show the effin picture in the forum?!

mybeanz.jpg

It said my "quota is full" when I used the advanced editor. Since you also uploaded 2 images, I guess it's the same for you. It sucks we can upload only two images, especially since every one you upload is really amazing. I loved the first one with the dude inside the coin laundry, eating. Loved the second one and third one too. I would really like to paint with that grime and grit too, but I'm not sure how you and some other people achieve this painted look. Must be some kind of texture involved, right?

Keep it up, love to see more. I've been writing three pages of dialog today for a cartoon series I wanna start. If you're interested chat me up, maybe I can do the writing and you the painting. Think you'll do a better job, overall.

Edited by S3V3N

I made a sketch today, while relaxing after dinner. Thought about what might be a safe® place to be in the Dayz universe. An island in a swamp wouldn't be too bad. Infected would get stopped and swallowed by the swamp. When you need to cross you could shoot a rope over with an arrow.

Perspective is a bit wonky, but I made this up, as I was going along. Sometimes the story comes with the sketch, not before it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10191409/2012_08_06_swamp_refugee.jpg

Anyone who can do a transparent logo of Heinz Beans in 150x150?

Would look awesome as an avatar.

Edited by Lejemorder

Crossed across an open field too close to a farm again today...

post-84040-0-91887400-1344265015_thumb.j

Edited by OiTea
  • Like 2

Crossed across an open field too close to a farm again today...

Is that from Dayz, the Flash game ;)? I lol'd - it's fresh