maninthewall

Why always Russia

Q: I've been quite impressed by Seattle map in TOH. Would it be possible to rework the map to make it playable in DayZ

A: It's very impressive map, but the issue is more it was designed for something specific (helicopters). DayZ needs interiors, they're really important. I think DayZ needs a new map, BI made, that features a western city... let's just say I have plans. :)

if anyone ever took the time to read the Q&A thread he would have seen that rockets also wants a new map in the distant future of the SA

Edited by IHombreI
  • Like 1

Couldn't we stay in Russia and accomplish the urban enviroment? Why not Moscow or Saint Petersburg? I agree with previous posters in regards to escaping America. I'm tired of blowing up New York or the Middle East, I'll keep Chernarus.

• Like 1

Heh heh, true... But what if the Australian wildlife became zombified... Imagine - if you will - a Zombie Bungarra or Frilled-Neck Lizard charging at you on it's hind legs with its mouth a-gape making that hissing noise that they do... That would be a whole new level of fear...

• Like 2

There's a reason for that - 95% of our country is flat, featureless desert with no towns, buildings or people. A few roos, the odd snake and dingo or two.

Doesn't sound like a fun map to me.

No one would be able to survive. NZ would be a far more interesting terrain (sorry AUSbros)

It's mainly because video games are made in the West for Western customers. Although the Cold War has ended Russia still make a good boogeyman.

I'd also like a US setting more but the problem is simple... it would be a enormous undertaking getting the stuff for a proper US representation (highway, motels, etc.) as there's no fitting US style buildings created by BIS.

The Take on Helicopters stuff (Seatle) is not enough since it's just skyscrapers and large buildings (all non enterable). With some retextured ArmA1 buildings and the ToH stuff BIS might have a basic set but there's still tons of new models you'd need.

And modders would have to pretty much start from scratch (+ ArmA1 buildings) since they are not allowed to use ToH models in ArmA2. I'm sure you'll never see a US city based Dayz port, however a US countryside setting would need less work and seems more doable.

Edited by doskey241

No one would be able to survive. NZ would be a far more interesting terrain (sorry AUSbros)

I'd love a NZ map. Remote island with reasonable population, variable terrain and great scenery? Not to mention that it somewhat fits the story, NZ is the type of place you might try to escape to in a global zombie outbreak.

In Soviet Russia . . . .game plays you.

• Like 1

I'm neither American nor Russian. I'm just saying that obviously if you base something on a stereotype, the people who are affected won't like it. Can you give me some other reason for New York that isn't "LOL FAT AMERICANS AND THEIR BURGER KING XD"? Because that's not very enticing for me, let alone actual Americans.

I'm not offended by the Swedish stereotype : P

I actually smile when people bring it up because it makes me happy knowing they know about us <3

I'd also like a US setting more but the problem is simple... it would be a enormous undertaking getting the stuff for a proper US representation (highway, motels, etc.) as there's no fitting US style buildings created by BIS.

The Take on Helicopters stuff (Seatle) is not enough since it's just skyscrapers and large buildings (all non enterable). With some retextured ArmA1 buildings and the ToH stuff BIS might have a basic set but there's still tons of new models you'd need.

And modders would have to pretty much start from scratch (+ ArmA1 buildings) since they are not allowed to use ToH models in ArmA2. I'm sure you'll never see a US city based Dayz port, however a US countryside setting would need less work and seems more doable.

He said it, I'm sure it is just a technical issue since they have to rely on the Arma 2 assets, most of which are Russian. I found when I was modifying the Taviana map in the editor that most of the assets were either Arab or Russian so creating entirely new resources would be a massive undertaking and for modders it is always best to use what is already there.

Just pray that someone ports DayZ in Fallujah if it already hasn't been done. It is an urban desert map.

DayZ Fallujah has indeed been done, you can find it easy enough using DayZ Commander. I quite like it.

Damn, I thought you would be more of a person to see a map in Sweden.

Anyway, don't use stereotypes like that.

For all I know the only shop in Sweden is Ikea and you live off meatballs...

Yes because I can't remember the last time a game or film was based in New York :/

Are you sure you've thought this through? For every game or film based in Russia I could name 500 based in mainland America, usually and now boringly, in New York.

GRAND THEFT AUTO BITCH!

Cherno is actually based off of a part of the Czech Republic I think.

Nope, it looks much more like Moldova, or maybe Crimea. According to legend, Chernarus is a post-Soviet country, hence Russian names (some of them sound Slavic enough, but not Russian and not Czech though).

Edited by KizUrazgubi

I demand that rocket bases the standalone in Wales, or else I'll be angry and accuse him of hating the Welsh, and also hating Welsh Corgis.

• Like 1

I demand that rocket bases the standalone in Wales, or else I'll be angry and accuse him of hating the Welsh, and also hating Welsh Corgis.

That can be easily done, they already have grass and sheep.

I don't think you should focus on stereotypes (Drunk Russians, Fat Americans) because the respective people would be offended.

Sorry to say that but In a zombie apocalypse the first ones to go are the fatties and the drunken.

Rule #1: cardio

http://www.feoamante.com/Movies/Zombies/images/Zombie_land/zombieland_1.jpg

Rule #24: No Drinking

This one should be pretty plain obvious. Escaping zombies is tough enough as it is. How well do you think you will do after downing a couple shots of Jack Daniels? Drinking is not a good survival tactic.

zombieland-seatbelt.jpg

I think a map based around a medium sized American city, like Asheville NC, would be pretty great.

That can be easily done, they already have grass and sheep.

Surprisingly, I've never seen a sheep in person in my life.

Sorry to say that but In a zombie apocalypse the first ones to go are the fatties and the drunken.

What about the sick? The elderly? The stupid (And I mean criminally stupid), the unaware, the children? I'm pretty sure that if there was an apocalypse, being overweight beats those things in some way. What's good being thinner if you're bedridden, or too weak to climb a flight of stairs, or have no idea how to unlock a door, or have no idea there's even an apocalypse going on until you're stuck in an office with hundreds of the dead, or if you're just cowering in the corner, hoping your elders aren't actually dead? Sure, being fat isn't a plus, but it's not as big a minus as those things can be. And being drunk is temporary. There's no proof since there hasn't been an actual zombie apocalypse, but I'd assume you'd sober up a little after seeing your friends eating each other, and would probably hold off on drinking again until it's safe. If you get drunk knowing there's an apocalypse going on around you, well, I'd rather class that as "stupid" than "drunk".

But none of that is really relevant to the thread, because I wasn't trying to debate whether or not being fat or drunk will hinder you, I was saying that focusing on crappy stereotypes (Like Drunk Russians and Fat Americans) is just going to piss people off and nobody will want to hear the idea at hand.

Edited by Rage VG