Sign in to follow this  
thefirecrack3r

All this talk of skills and no one does it right...

No one depicts a skill system properly when they argue for it. They talk about being able to do new things and gaining experience. That's crap in my opinion. But a skill system that works purely in the background to represent a characters acquired knowledge and skills over time is true to reality. To give examples of what I mean by this, is simple...

What I DO NOT want:

Acquiring new abilities

Levels

Notifications of progress (Congratulation! your have 2000xp points in Guns)

Perks

Skill trees

Combat skills

What I do want:

Being able to do certain tasks a little better or faster if you do them a lot.

Examples:

Give a lot of blood transfusions and eventually you'd be able to perform the transfusion a little quicker and give a small amount more blood.

You do a lot of mechanical work, you'll repair things faster.

These would represent a player's character learning how to do certain task more efficiently as they perform them more often. Obviously, in real life the best way to learn how to do something is practice, and repetition.

And although I said no combat skills the closest I'd want to see this getting to combat is as a player kills/survives zombies/zombie attacks, they could have reduced panting/shakiness afterwards, representing them becoming more hardened or used to such activities.

So, thoughts?

I'm thinking...

Actually... Is it wrong to be thinking about ones sex life in an apocalypse?

there we go again.... actually it is always a good idea thinking about a healthy sex life, especially in an apocalypse, but please not in dayz....but i know for a fact, there are some sexual simulation games out there.

No one does it right because there is no way of doing it right, so in real life a doctor can squeeze a bag faster than non-doctors?

No skills please. People will just sit around boosting these skills endlessly.

may i talk to you 'bout post #2 refering to a similar more evolved thread. Please do not deny this topic categorically in advance. Feel free to make an effort and read yourself in a little bit.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Shooting, hunting (as in, tracking your prey), piloting, scavenging and first-aid should all be very difficult. Then people will actually learn through trial and error, and people will specialize in what they're good at.

That's real skill and experience.

Shooting, hunting (as in, tracking your prey), piloting, scavenging and first-aid should all be very difficult. Then people will actually learn through trial and error, and people will specialize in what they're good at.

That's real skill and experience.

I don't want a shooting, hunting, piloting or scavenging skill. Those are done purely through the players capabilities. But first aid in this game doesn't use that same type of skill, its "use bandages" pat yourself down then ta-da you're done. Blood transfusions are no different. There is no player skill required. I'm talking about only adding skills that would effect things that the game already takes away from players control.

No one does it right because there is no way of doing it right, so in real life a doctor can squeeze a bag faster than non-doctors?

A doctor can find the vein faster, apply the line properly, he knows the angle the needle should enter at. The game doesn't require any player held skills to do this, as I mentioned already, right now it takes no skill to do this, its just click, click, done, despite this being a somewhat difficult process.