Sign in to follow this  
1clash1

Weaponry that makes sense given the setting

I find Chernarus to be by far the most immersive and atmospheric of the maps currently available for DayZ and this is primarily because it attempts to represent a location in the world. With the signs, houses and vehicles all resembling those that would be found in the location Chernarus is set in, it adds that extra bit of immersion and realism.

I think that this realism should be extended to the weaponry available in DayZ and arguments that people simply want to be able to use a DMR or an M16 should be ignored because this is about immersion not about having as many guns available, this isn't a straight up FPS it's a survival game.

Because of this, I think that the weapons available should be limited to those that would be found in Eastern Europe/Russia, where Chernarus is based off of.

For me, it ruins some of the immersion when I find a polished American M16 assault rifle in a Russian military base when so much care and attention is put into the rest of the environment to make it authentic.

Furthermore, with the new civilian and melee weapons being introduced in the standalone I don't think this cul in the amount of weapons would really be an issue.

Of course, you could have more western military arms but they would need a reason, perhaps found in a hastily built UN/NATO base but only in this situation.

I think, ultimately, when it comes to the weapons available in DayZ the focus should be on authenticity not variety.

• Like 1

Did you play the game ?

No,,,,, there lies the problem.

I'm assuming that the infection came after the Chernarus operation.

Try it, it really is worth the effort.

• Like 1

Did you play the game ?

No,,,,, there lies the problem.

I'm assuming that the infection came after the Chernarus operation.

Try it, it really is worth the effort.

I have in fact played the game, I've spent longer in the vanilla game than in DayZ.

I haven't heard anyone else make this assumption and it seems to me that in DayZ it's supposed to be a generic eastern european country that has encountered a zombie outbreak. Anything that happened before this seems pure speculation, not to mention the fact that all the buildings are intact and there's no real evidence of armed conflict.

• Like 2

Immersion is great, but only to an extent... Does limiting the guns we can use to a very small pool really add anything to the game? No. Keep the current ones- and hell, give us more weapons to pick from too.

I have in fact played the game, I've spent longer in the vanilla game than in DayZ.

I haven't heard anyone else make this assumption and it seems to me that in DayZ it's supposed to be a generic eastern european country that has encountered a zombie outbreak. Anything that happened before this seems pure speculation, not to mention the fact that all the buildings are intact and there's no real evidence of armed conflict.

JUST GOT SCHOOLED!!!

In fact the one infected were western soldiers who invaded the country, they raped the women and died because they broke their penises after cumming. The women got eaten by their mutant zombie babies while giving birth after a day and those became adults in a day, too - so now you have a story to what happened over there and why there are so many western weapons available...80% of the weapons players use have western origins from what i see what our team was using...

Immersion is great, but only to an extent... Does limiting the guns we can use to a very small pool really add anything to the game? No. Keep the current ones- and hell, give us more weapons to pick from too.

DayZ is a survival game though, you work with the tools that you would be given in the situation, you wouldn't have access to every modern weapon under the sun. The weaponry is part of the immersion, just as vehicles are, it would be silly to have sparkly new Ferrari in the Chernarus map wouldn't it? It all adds to the immersion.

Furthermore, it wouldn't be a very small pool. There's plenty of different weapons across Eastern Europe and Russia, not to mention civilian arms and melee weapons that would be introduced. Eastern European and Russian weaponry isn't reduced to the AK47.

DayZ is a survival game though, you work with the tools that you would be given in the situation, you wouldn't have access to every modern weapon under the sun. The weaponry is part of the immersion, just as vehicles are, it would be silly to have sparkly new Ferrari in the Chernarus map wouldn't it? It all adds to the immersion.

Furthermore, it wouldn't be a very small pool. There's plenty of different weapons across Eastern Europe and Russia, not to mention civilian arms and melee weapons that would be introduced. Eastern European and Russian weaponry isn't reduced to the AK47.

Suspension of belief is pretty important when making a game. A shiny new Ferrari? Yeah- that goes a little far. But an M24, something which is mainly used in the US military (they have however lately upgraded to a newer model) doesn't make most people go 'nope, immersion ruined, I quit.'

Suspension of belief is pretty important when making a game. A shiny new Ferrari? Yeah- that goes a little far. But an M24, something which is mainly used in the US military (they have however lately upgraded to a newer model) doesn't make most people go 'nope, immersion ruined, I quit.'

Why would the US military be in Chernarus? There's no evidence in the map that they're there and yet you find an M24 in a barracks. Also, I didn't say that I don't play DayZ simply because of this, it just slightly ruins the immersion, don't put words in my mouth.

Good for you, I did write assumed, so the other scholar can pipe down.

It will be interesting to see what the SA offers in terms of available weapons, more civilian class weapons was mentiond a while ago, I'll poke around and see what I can dig up.

Thanks.

Throw a few more Russian weapons in such as the Mosin-Nagant 1903, SKS and recent Eastern European civilian guns and us realists will be happy.

• Like 1

Good for you, I did write assumed, so the other scholar can pipe down

And I did refer to it as an assumption.

• Like 1

If you are so hung up on the realism of the weapons lying around, did you happen to notice that some military zombies are in MARPAT/Coyote Brown gear? Typically found on US Marines? Why are they there i hear you ask? Maybe they were cooperating with the local military in trying to stop the infection, maybe help with the evacuation..

The only problem i see with weapons is there could be more of them to balance out the eastern/western gear. Where are all the PKM, SVD, SV98 to name a few..

There's a number of Eastern European countries whose armed forces use digital camo patterns, some of which are very close copies of Western patterns.

I always though the military zombies had German flectarn uniforms myself..

cold war infantry weapons from the 70s and 80s would be best, plus local type weapons. if this were an unstable eastern european country, those local type weapons would again be, old soviet type weapons from the 70s and 80s.

well ya nato weapons are way more common then warsaw pact weapons

i understand where yer comin' from but like

an ak47 shoudl have like a 10 percent spawn chance for a deer stand an a m15 is like 1.5 percent

ak74s should be much more common then akms because eastern militaries mainly use modernized 5.45mm rifles then 7.62 older ones

and shisse

Well, I'm sorry having guns in a zombie game ruins the immersion for you, now please get out.

Did you even read my post?

Edited by ComradeClash

yeah im pretty sure they are going to replace all the american guns with their Russian/eastern Europe equivs

well ya nato weapons are way more common then warsaw pact weapons

you do know that the AK rifles are the most produced weapon in the world? 50% of all assault rifles are an AK-variant. AR rifles are only 30%

Why would the US military be in Chernarus? There's no evidence in the map that they're there and yet you find an M24 in a barracks. Also, I didn't say that I don't play DayZ simply because of this, it just slightly ruins the immersion, don't put words in my mouth.

Actually, there are random dead American soldiers on the ground throughout the map. I see them quite often and mistake them for dead zeds.

I do agree that there should be more of an authenticity within the mod. It was told that there is no story on how the outbreak happened yet, there are random weapons of different nationalities dug up around a Russian continent. It was not mentioned that any type of different armed forces came to the country.

The guns present in the game can be replaced easily if done with effort :)

I'm fully aware it's a mod but it can be updated with patches, giving the reason of a mod doesn't mean it has to be totally off cue.

Edited by TIC321