grimsonfart

Survivor, stop yelling "Friendly friendly" when im aiming at you!

We're animals. Regardless of how intelligent and cunning we are as a species we are still animals, and many of our instincts and 'gut feelings' come from the most primitive parts of our brain. If there is a real (gun) or percieved (suspicion) feeling of danger you will not approach it. Hate to break it to you but unless you're Pocahontas or Snow White you will never walk into a forest and have all the animals come running to you in complete trust of your 'good' nature.

It's not a 'broken mindset of humans' it's the mindset of every living thing on this planet and is the only reason we are around as a species today. There is nothing broken about it, and the only thing broken is your opinion. No offence.

But the human can broke this primitive instincts because he hasnt really a deadly enemy and normayl enough brain to think a bit wider then "simple" animals. And the more you think about that this is only a game where you dont need to fear because nobody hurts you (maybe expect from making you angry by extreamly spawnkilling or something else), then you more see how broken humans are. If i shoot every time i see an other survivor then the problem will only be bigger - thats it. The only way to broke this never ending cycle is to trust and to forgive - but a lot of players are to egoistic or simply to stupid - maybe sometimes both ;)

Edited by ERRORrothe

Fair enough, now remove 1000000 players

I was pointing out the fact that your fix for the 'mechanic' was an idiotic comment, that's all.

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

I was pointing out the fact that your fix for the 'mechanic' was an idiotic comment, that's all.

Then tell me so. The main thing i complained about when it comes to broken game mechanics is the skins you get. It does not at all show you who you really are (survivor, bandit, hero etc) because its to easy to get eather one.

But the human can broke this primitive instincts because he hasnt really a deadly enemy and normayl enough brain to think a bit wider then "simple" animals. And the more you think about that this is only a game where you dont need to fear because nobody hurts you (maybe expect from making you angry by extreamly spawnkilling or something else), then you more see how broken humans are. If i shoot every time i see an other survivor then the problem will only be bigger - thats it. The only way to broke this never ending cycle is to trust and to forgive - but a lot of players are to egoistic or simply to stupid - maybe somethimes both ;)

Go take a long walk into the ghetto at midnight on a weekend and see how broken your primitive instincts are. Yes, humans haven't had an apex predator hunting them for a long time, but that doesn't mean we've lost our instinct. The fight or flight mechanic is the most basic of all of our primitive instincts and you feel it to some degree every single day of your life. No offense intended as this is purely a subjective view but I think a lot of people who think the way that you are... are the kind of people who spend most of their days sitting at a deskjob, or lead a very timid life that involves a lot of couch and internet surfing. If you spoke to a cop, or a firefighter they will tell you the fear to avoid danger is still very real, and very strong.

I realize that it's just a game and nothing will physically hurt you but in all honesty the best possible way that you can enjoy any kind of 'third person' experience is by projecting yourself into the experience, whether it be a book, a video game, a TV show or a story someone is telling you. If you take yourself out of it most all of what (I think) makes DayZ so much fun is lost, simply because you cease to truly care about anything. You get yourself stuck in an endless cycling of 'It's just a game, who cares' and it sucks the fun right out of it.

There is a very good reason why Rocket built this game with such a strong psychological intent.. because it makes people behave in rational, real ways as oppose to arcade style shooters like COD. Regardless of how many people call this game a deathmatch there is still an innate FEAR about losing your character, and losing your gear.. and that is (very basically) what makes DayZ so much damn fun.

Edited by Cdrive
  • Like 5

Then tell me so. The main thing i complained about when it comes to broken game mechanics is the skins you get. It does not at all show you who you really are (survivor, bandit, hero etc) because its to easy to get eather one.

I must have failed to read that in your original post, pretty much you just said that you will shoot on sight. And I replied to that saying it's stupid. I was saying that the people who yell "friendly" most likely aren't to shoot, and you don't have to trust them. Simply keep your face to them and walk away.

• Like 1

I must have failed to read that in your original post, pretty much you just said that you will shoot on sight. And I replied to that saying it's stupid. I was saying that the people who yell "friendly" most likely aren't to shoot, and you don't have to trust them. Simply keep your face to them and walk away.

If i want to kill you, i will. If i ask you to drop your gun, it means that i will let you live, but only on the premis that you do what i say, and try to pull out your secondary is not one of those things.

Thats what i wrote. And people who yells friendly are in reality not allways friendly. Iv gotten fooled alot of times!

Edited by grimsonfart

If i want to kill you, i will. If i ask you to drop your gun, it means that i will let you live, but only on the premis that you do what i say, and try to pull out your secondary is not one of those things.

Thats what i wrote. And people who yells friendly are in reality not allways friendly. Iv gotten fooled alot of times!

You are saying you will not give people a fair chance, which makes you the people you want to be fixed, but the only way to fix that is to remove them which won't happen which makes sense for you to be arguing ._.

You are saying you will not give people a fair chance, which makes you the people you want to be fixed, but the only way to fix that is to remove them which won't happen which makes sense for you to be arguing ._.

I think your misunderstanding what he's saying. He's saying that he is capable of killing you, but isn't - therefore if he tells you to drop your gun and you don't do it he WILL kill you, but if you do as you're demanded you walk away. I think that is a pretty 'fair chance' since he is giving you a 50/50 option of either doing what he tells you and living or trying to kill him and take the chance of dying.

How is that not fair?

Edited by Cdrive

I think your misunderstanding what he's saying. He's saying that he is capable of killing you, but isn't - therefore if he tells you to drop your gun and you don't do it he WILL kill you, but if you do as you're demanded you walk away. I think that is a pretty 'fair chance' since he is giving you a 50/50 option of either doing what he tells you and living or trying to kill him and take the chance of dying.

How is that not fair?

Thanks, this was exactly what i was trying to tell :)

Yes, it is your fault. You shoot players, then you're part of the problem not the solution. I have never killed a single player. I can be trusted.

And what the heck has any of that to do with "mechanics"?

<3 Sula! I've never killed another player either, even though I've died probably hundreds of times. Keep the faith, sister! It's good to know there are others out there like me. :)

• Like 1

Cdrive. Rubbish! :D It's simple. There's no need for me to kill other players and I don't like killing them, so I don't. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Cindyanne! :thumbsup:

Edited by Sula

Whenever I encounter another player close range, the first thing I do is point my weapon at him and tell him to drop his gun, or go for cover if he hasn't spotted me. My actions depend on what he does next, but I have a rule: don't shoot unless fired upon.

Whenever I encounter another player the first thing I do is - carry on watching him from a distance and enjoy the entertainment (few people encounter me at close range without me knowing it first). Some of my happiest moments have been spent watching lone players going about their mad little lives, chasing cows and staring at bushes. Some of the most cautious have been watching groups of players, especially when they are still in town under the illusion they're still chasing me. :D

Edited by Sula

If you really have to start a conversation with somebody never say "Friendly" - kick it off by saying something a bit more natural. Obviously not "hi, it's a lovely day' but you know what I mean. If the other player doesn't respond immediately then you kill him straight away. No mic? - deserves to die so kill him. He has a mic and doesn't respond immediately? Kill him. Less uncertainties the better. If he responds immediately, but in Russian - Kill him, cos he'll kill you after thinking about it for 5 seconds.

Whenever I encounter another player the first thing I do is - carry on watching him from a distance and enjoy the entertainment (few people encounter me at close range without me knowing it first). Some of my happiest moments have been spent watching lone players going about their mad little lives, chasing cows and staring at bushes. Some of the most cautious have been watching groups of players, especially when they are still in town under the illusion they're still chasing me. :D

If you really have to start a conversation with somebody never say "Friendly" - kick it off by saying something a bit more natural. Obviously not "hi, it's a lovely day' but you know what I mean. If the other player doesn't respond immediately then you kill him straight away. No mic? - deserves to die so kill him. He has a mic and doesn't respond immediately? Kill him. Less uncertainties the better. If he responds immediately, but in Russian - Kill him, cos he'll kill you after thinking about it for 5 seconds.

^^^ both of those.

• Like 2

By the way, I feel I have to inform you that if you ask someone to drop their rifle, they will automatically switch to their handgun.

Whether you say friendly, friendly or not bandit, not bandit or ello guvner, you're still pointing a deadly weapon at somebody's face. If you take cover behind a solid object, so no one is starring down the barrel of a gun, the following conversation will natural be more peaceful and the risk of someone being killed, because someone got scared is decreased by at least 9%.

• Like 3

fear is a huge factor, especially in big towns. the more noob you are, the more you feel in danger when you see others. you can get over this only dying a lot, loosing all the best gear possible ingame. then you'll try to play differently. you won't be so much afraid to not shoot first( with the lag and all the people who didn't play a minute of arma2, 50% of players shoot like blinded folks) and you will want to find other playstyles(mechanics) in this mod. the human interaction is amazing when you stop killing.

yes yes yes!, im a part of the problem, so are you. When 90% of the playerbase will shoot you on sight, i would rather not take the chance in loosing my 34 day old character with the best gear possible. To fix this problem (which is pretty much impossible to fix) everyone needs to be friendly. I am not going to sacrafice my beans just to "try" and stop KoS.

Which servers do you play on? O.o

By the way, I feel I have to inform you that if you ask someone to drop their rifle, they will automatically switch to their handgun.

Whether you say friendly, friendly or not bandit, not bandit or ello guvner, you're still pointing a deadly weapon at somebody's face. If you take cover behind a solid object, so no one is starring down the barrel of a gun, the following conversation will natural be more peaceful and the risk of someone being killed, because someone got scared is decreased by at least 9%.

First off i know thar handguns automaticly goes out after you drop your main weapon, look at my previous posts. Secondly i know waht you are talking about, but KoS mainly happens when we both see eachother at the same time and no cover around. Otherwise i agree.

First off i know thar handguns automaticly goes out after you drop your main weapon, look at my previous posts. Secondly i know waht you are talking about, but KoS mainly happens when we both see eachother at the same time and no cover around. Otherwise i agree.

I never KOS or travel far from cover/concealment.

• Like 1

Unless they are bandit skin, I won't initially shoot anyone claiming to be Friendly, but I will aim at their head and then depending on how they move, how they act and what they do, I might lower my weapon. Not saying I'm the best shot, but you don't have to be with an automatic weapon. Anyway, if the player then keeps ME at gunpoint when they were the ones that initiated contact I might well shoot first and ask questions later.

A general rule of thumb for me is this; The player initiating contact is the one that should take the greatest risk and trust. I never wanted you to approach me in the first place, but I will not be an asshole and kill you. I give most players, that are not bandit skinned, the benefit of the doubt. If I die, I die.. but don't think you ever had me fooled, you just verified my suspicion.

Reading this just makes me think... How many of you have had military training? even a little? Ever heard the concept of moving allways near cover and when near hostile/unknown cover,probe, move to next cover if clear? If engaged, suppress ,move and cover?

It just sounds like most of you run in open bumping to each other with guns and that is the recipe of kos chaos.

• Like 2