Nefarious (DayZ)

Would DayZ exist without The Walking Dead?

Rocket said that if the SA did well they would consider it.

Rocket2guns said:

"It's just basic maths really.

Anyone in the video game industry would say the same thing, once a game reaches a certain point - the likelihood of some kind of console port becomes quite high. Cross-platform releases are about maximizing sales.

I care about zero for consoles, personally. I have an Xbox 360 they gave me with my tv, I played for about a few hours and it just wasn't for me. I used to work at Sidhe interactive and that really reinforced for me I don't like console GAMES nor the DEVELOPMENT of them.

But many people do, so I would personally not have anything against a DayZ console port - although I struggle to see how I would personally be involved in such a development. I mean, I really couldn't care if there was a current gen console port.

Anyone thinking my comments constitutes news really bemuses me, it's seems very obvious to me: certain number of sales = console port = more sales?"

- - - - - - - - - -

"If it was developed concurrently cross platform then yes, it would impact (i.e. Skyrim, XCOM). I would be, ahem,very unhappy with such a thing.

But if independently of PC, it gets released on the Mac, iPhone, casio wristwatch, tibetian-ceremonial-balsa-wood-entertainment-drums ... who really cares? 2012 is the year of the PC game, the console manufactures know it, and they need to deliver for 2013 and beyond. We make the PC standalone development the best it can be... and if that translates well to another platform, cool! it means more players, and ultimately more customers."

I brought this particular subject up in another thread about DayZ not being made without the mainstream success from TWD tv show. I assumed others would concur, however, this was not the case. I feel zombies have always been a cult/niche market despite the fact that I am huge fan of the genre.

What do you guys think? Would we have DayZ without The Walking Dead tv show?

My .00001 c worth.

I picked TWD season 1-2 from the shelf at the local vid shop, my snoring overode the part where they made to some bunker that blew up or whatever after a car trip where some guy died near a tree. I was not entertained. Maybe three or four epsisodes in..yawn.

Look back through the dayZ history..it really is not that long (yet) Rocket had the whole survival drink, eat concept, then one of his mates said..why not throw in some zeds..thus DayZ. Not connected with TWD in any way as a concept from the start. :)

• Like 2

The question should be ..would decent games exist without windows ;) ..aka PC's

The question should be ..would decent games exist without windows ;) ..aka PC's

BUT THEN THE HIPSTERS WOULD WIN. YOU CAN'T LET THEM WIN.

Erm they go on loot runs and nearly the whole of season 1 was in woods

Well there's nothing else in common except that they had a camp in woods..

Dont forget the original Resident Evils on PS1, They had influence on the zombie gaming genre

Edited by The Shadow

DayZ existence isn't because of walking dead.... Zombies have been around for ages.

P.S I FIND IT VERY HARD TO BELIEVE IT WHEN YOU SAID YOUR FRIENDS DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A ZOMBIE WAS BEFORE THEY SAW WALKING DEAD TV SERIES (said on a different post).........

Hello there

Until recently (and from these boards) I had never heard of "the walking dead" as a franchise. I dont know if it's a film book or mini series (I'm guessing a "lost" type serial).

So, I think yes Dayz would exist without it. Zombies have been around for a loooooong time. see A.E.Poe/Lovecraft etc (and theyre not that old)

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Until recently (and from these boards) I had never heard of "the walking dead" as a franchise. I dont know if it's a film book or mini series (I'm guessing a "lost" type serial).

So, I think yes Dayz would exist without it. Zombies have been around for a loooooong time. see A.E.Poe/Lovecraft etc (and theyre not that old)

Rgds

LoK

Tis a graphic novel series that was, somewhat, adapted into a tv drama. Currently in the third series.

DayZ existence isn't because of walking dead.... Zombies have been around for ages.

P.S I FIND IT VERY HARD TO BELIEVE IT WHEN YOU SAID YOUR FRIENDS DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A ZOMBIE WAS BEFORE THEY SAW WALKING DEAD TV SERIES (said on a different post).........

Reread the post pls. I never said they didn't know what a zombie was. Did your cap key break?

That's like asking would we have Zombies without The walking dead.

Would we have zombies without the Walking Dead?

No.

That's like asking would we have Zombies without The walking dead.

Puhlease. It's nothing like asking that. I'm a huge zombie fan and am aware of their popularity within a niche market. However, TWD tv show has exploded (I don't really care for it) but now many more people are "into zombies". To ask if TWD may have influenced Dean to make a zombie survival mod is far from a stretch.

Of course it bloody would lol

The walking dead looks to me they nick ideas from DayZ!!

Lol, that is such a naive statement, you do realize how long TWD comic been out for? What ideas could TWD take from DayZ? Nothing is the correct answer.

The walking dead series///comic book's were where zombies were first introduced(2003). So yes I strongly feel that without the introduction of the walking dead comic series that zombies to this day would not fictionally exist.

Also warcraft (blizzard) are known to be the first people to introduce Orc/Elves to the world.

Tis a graphic novel series that was, somewhat, adapted into a tv drama. Currently in the third series.

Ooooo, I like my Graphic novels. Not that keen on zombies though, but I like to have my preconceptions challenged, I'll keep an eye out.

L

Well TWD makes me want to play Dayz

and Dayz makes me want to watch TWD

So maybe..... just maybe

The walking dead series///comic book's were where zombies were first introduced(2003). So yes I strongly feel that without the introduction of the walking dead comic series that zombies to this day would not fictionally exist.

Also warcraft (blizzard) are known to be the first people to introduce Orc/Elves to the world.

Im not sure when zombies were introduced, but im pretty confident it was before 2003, and what about the LOTR books? They are WAY older than Blizzard are.

Im not sure when zombies were introduced, but im pretty confident it was before 2003, and what about the LOTR books? They are WAY older than Blizzard are.

There is a movie from 1930 called White Zombie starring Bela Lugosi. I'm afraid zombies have been around a long long time.......:)

No I am 60% sure that what I said is 100% correct