Sign in to follow this  
Flawless1

"Psychosis" bar for Bandits

Just an idea I had to help spark some interest and fresh ideas for realistic game features. How about a need for bandits to keep their "psychosis" bar filled; the more murders they pile up, the lower their psychosis bar or "tolerance" drops. Perhaps bandits would need a special medicine that only they can use in order to keep this illness in check. What do you guys think the possible consequences should/could be for letting the bar run too low? Maybe they start hearing things that aren't really there such as footsteps, false gunshots..heck if you let your mind wander enough, the consequences could make being a bandit even more fun..bbbut then again, at least they'd still have to spend some of their time scavenging for their precious meds once in a while instead of hiding in a tree all day eating beans and shooting noobs. What do you guys think? Feel free to elaborate and collaborate. :D

Edited by Flawless1
  • Like 5

Show me where the bandit touched you.

• Like 16

heck if you let your mind wander enough, the consequences could make being a bandit even more fun and therefore render my whole topic concern null. bbbut then again, at least they'd still have to spend some of their time scavenging for their precious meds once in a while instead of hiding in a tree all day eating beans and shooting noobs.

because if they don't get their meds and the bar runs low for too long then they'll shoot themselves in the head due to the realization of their lack of humanity... yesss

Edited by Flawless1

because if they don't get their meds and the bar runs low for too long maybe they shoot themselves in the head?

Hopefully...

I'd rather have a study why everyone wants to play a mass murderer or psycho when they are given freedom in games. As if there are no other roles to play.

Edited by Enforcer

Nice idea the best would be the Medics drops when you shoot an unarmed Survior...

---

I dont play as an Bandit, but you can´t punish People for playing a game how they like or force them with restrictions to play a game how you would like to.

Hopefully...

I'd rather have a study why everyone wants to play a mass murderer or psycho when they are given freedom in games. As if there are no other roles to play.

Its a game where you choose your story and your gameplay. Its easier to kill everything thats moving rather then beeing a Hero.

I always imagin an all Friendly server where the Survior dance arround the Baracks becouse nobody would shoot the other one...

because if they don't get their meds and the bar runs low for too long then they'll shoot themselves in the head due to the realization of their lack of humanity... yesss

Must be kidding...

Edited by Paddy0610
  • Like 1

I dont play as an Bandit, but you can´t punish People for playing a game how they like or force them with restrictions to play a game how you would like to

I wouldn't call it punishment more than I would call it a balance issue. I'm not saying take banditry out of their hands altogether and turn DayZ into a kumbaya campfire. I'm new to the forums, but I'm sure tons of people would agree that new players can have a really bad first, second, and even third impression of the game when 30/50 players on a server are considered armed and extremely dangerous at all times. Adding an interesting element to the mix might be beneficial for both sides in the long run.

I'm new to the forums, but I'm sure tons of people would agree that new players can have a really bad first, second, and even third impression of the game when 30/50 players on a server are considered armed and extremely dangerous at all times.

Maybe its hard to get started and getting killed by Bandits leads a lot of people to the way of Bandits just becouse they dont trust other people any more.

Your suggestion was made in a lot of worser ways before, but anyways the point of punishing or "balancing" a playstyle by giving them disadvantages is not the way that Dayz should go. As the game is "your story" so free for all styles of gameplay.

Nice idea the best would be the Medics drops when you shoot an unarmed Survior...

---

I dont play as an Bandit, but you can´t punish People for playing a game how they like or force them with restrictions to play a game how you would like to.

Its a game where you choose your story and your gameplay. Its easier to kill everything thats moving rather then beeing a Hero.

I always imagin an all Friendly server where the Survior dance arround the Baracks becouse nobody would shoot the other one...

Must be kidding...

Yes the easy way...always the easy way...no need to roleplay 24/7

I love Flawless' idea of the random voices and gunshots and things. I agree that there is a balance issue here. I don't think it amounts to a restriction on play style if the only penalty was a subtle 'condition' like cold or infection to be applied when the humanity level goes really really low. And the 'hallucinations' should only be extremely rare and subtle, just to ramp the paranoia up a bit. Maybe, extremely occasionally it would happen at a crucial time in battle and create a momentary distraction that could give a bambi enough time to haul-ass out of there.

Your suggestion was made in a lot of worser ways before, but anyways the point of punishing or "balancing" a playstyle by giving them disadvantages is not the way that Dayz should go. As the game is "your story" so free for all styles of gameplay.

If disadvantages are what you're worried about, don't they exist already in DayZ? Like I've said before, Banditry is a must, but in my eyes and many other people's eyes, it can actually ruin other's experiences. For example... wouldn't it be nice to be able to enter a city area without 100% certainty that there are going to be some bandits in the area. Drop that number down to 50% and you wouldn't know what to expect most times. Bandits have become the standard player in DayZ and that turns a lot of people off. For a game that wants people to make their "own" story, isn't it a bit dull when most players play out the story the exact same way? Maybe it has more to do with the way society thinks now instead of the actual intrigue of being a bandit, because as it stands now, it seems most people that choose the way of the bandit are often only interested in twitch killing other players all the time at all costs (doesn't this sound like some of the boring AAA titles out there?).

Back to your "punishment" comments. Isn't it going to be punishing on players who want to band together and try working as a team when one of the people in the group might be sick and spread his disease onto his buddies? My point is the game already punishes people by either their own neglegence or other gameplay elements. The only way the game plans to alter what a lone bandit sniper wants to do is make him come out of his tree every once in a while and take a poop. You know the bandits will swiftly find their heavy jackets to wear under their ghillie suit and continue to sit in his tree untouched by diseases or other players. Perhaps the more elements they add to make the game more realistic could cause the lopsidedness in servers to become even more rampant. As it stands now, the benefits of being a bandit far exceed the benefits of being a team player.

I don't want to re-write what Dean Hall's vision for the game is, but I'm not sure having the ratio of bandits/survivors being 3:1 is what he had in mind. As it stands right now, being shot and killed without even seeing the person who killed you(which should be freakin awesome!!) is a normal occurance instead of a bold and telling experience.

• Like 2

banditry in dayz has become just an excuse for trolls to get off on making noobs rage by baiting them and backstab killing them. i agree it should come with a hefty price and made less desirable and make these idiots actually play dayz properly

You shouldn't punish banditry. Instead, you should make being a nice guy more attractive. Without bandits DayZ would be less scary, and for me that means less fun.

• Like 1

Oh it's this thread again.

I can understand the idea of wanting to be nice, but why is it such an urge for some people to FORCE everyone to be?

The game is pretty incomplete, add more things that require cooperation and you will see more cooperation.

As it is everyone can do anything by themselve with enough time, which means that already a good slice of the players want to "achieve it all" by themselve.

An interesting thing could be that you simply cannot medicate yourself alone:

• If you are bleeding and you are alone, you will bleed to death, plain and simple :)
  • If you break your bones, you need painkillers to stop the pain AND a splint, to fix it, which you cannot apply to yourself alone.

If you want an analogy, you need to create positive synergies that encourage grouping, look at team fortress 2:

• Medic rely on his team to protect him.
  • Heavy rely on Medic to keep him alive while he is firing, exposed.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

The reason there are so many bandits is for the simple fact that if you die, you can start again. If DayZ were real life, the life expectancy of a bandit would be relatively short. The difference is, in real life, when he's dead thats it. He doesn't come back and start again. There would not be that many bandits because many would just die. You may be left with a few ninja bandits that are truly lethal. But most would get hunted down and killed.

Despite "Permadeath" (which only has any effect when a brand new map is released) its still essentially a bunch of people dying and respawning and "having another go". Not enough players really try and stay alive. Its almost easier to kill yourself and respawn than run back to Cherno from NWAF.

The ONLY way you'll ever reduce bandits would be if you only get one life. Then you have to buy the game again. I'm sure many people would play very differently if you only get one shot at it. To be honest though, you'd probably still get some fag who pays just to kill others for the sake of ruining their fun.

You shouldn't punish banditry. Instead, you should make being a nice guy more attractive. Without bandits DayZ would be less scary, and for me that means less fun.

Oh it's this thread again.

I can understand the idea of wanting to be nice, but why is it such an urge for some people to FORCE everyone to be?

Have you read any of my previous posts before spewing your own mislead perceptions of this thread?

Edited by Flawless1

Also... I'm sure most people who play this game enjoy watching the Walking Dead series. Is the zombie apocalypse that is depicted in the show one full of bandits who are lone wolf killing anything in sight? The answer is no. This is because the show would be boring and predictable. I don' think anyone who cares about the game would want DayZ to head in this direction. At the same time, I'm not suggesting to eliminate lone wolf banditry, but rather to encourage other ways to play. How often do we talk about clashing groups in-game? Probably not often since everyone is always afraid of other players causing them harm. How cool would it be to have factions or sides or feuds amongst groups within the game!? I'd like to see the game geared towards much more than the "usual" that it offers right now which consists of nobody caring about their in-game life because of the detrimental behavior that so many immature gamers bring to the table.

I'd rather pay $60 for a SA version that has mature bandits with real purpose rather than spending $20 on a SA with kiddy gamers finding their way onto the pc platform.

Lol. Everyone should have a psychosis bar. Is psychosis just for bandits? No. It can happen to anyone from a variety of reasons. I would support something like this if it were for everyone and have maybe certain levels and types of deeds that cause psychosis for different players...idk.

• Like 1

This idea has been raised alot of times on this here forum since i joined it in may last year...

They (rocket team) have stated that they wont and it isnt fair to punish someone for there style of play even if they are a bandit pussy

• Like 1

Play style shouldn't be directly punished, and players should not be forced to work together. The only thing relating to team work should be reward based (i.e. working alone should have no punishment, but there should be rewards for co-operation).

Back to the original idea of the "psychosis bar". Would it still not be intriguing to have a mass murderer do some crazy things once in a while? Sporatically (between every 5-30 minutes) perhaps your player starts talking or mumbling to yourself and allows other players to hear it if within a certain range (20-50 meters). I was hoping people could brainstorm the idea a bit and find something positive in it and pluck it out. Maybe the psychosis bar could serve as an interesting way to play instead of something tedious a bandit would have to do to overcome. In a game like this, is it not realism that we are looking for in the long run? I think some fresh game mechanics and ideas to promote realism in as many ways as programmabley possible is what I intended for this thread to actually be about. I'm sure there are tons of big and little game features that people can think of in order to make the game feel that much more authentic. Even the little things like a player shivering when he becomes too cold would be awesome.

Edited by Flawless1

We already have a lot of crazy and mass murders happen every day in the game...not much difference other than the player is talking to himself...maybe the mass murdering player is already insane and already talking to himself but you just don't hear it because he didn't use PTT. In this case voice should be voice activated instead.

Back to the original idea of the "psychosis bar". Would it still not be intriguing to have a mass murderer do some crazy things once in a while? Sporatically (between every 5-30 minutes) perhaps your player starts talking or mumbling to yourself and allows other players to hear it if within a certain range (20-50 meters). I was hoping people could brainstorm the idea a bit and find something positive in it and pluck it out. Maybe the psychosis bar could serve as an interesting way to play instead of something tedious a bandit would have to do to overcome. In a game like this, is it not realism that we are looking for in the long run? I think some fresh game mechanics and ideas to promote realism in as many ways as programmabley possible is what I intended for this thread to actually be about. I'm sure there are tons of big and little game features that people can think of in order to make the game feel that much more authentic. Even the little things like a player shivering when he becomes too cold would be awesome.

I'm all for realism in DayZ. But there is a limit to how much realism can be created in any game. If you keep going, you actually start making the game LESS realistic. Maybe a better way of putting it is that the players perception of realism is less convincing. The more things you bring in like your psychosis bar, the more layers there are between you and the world. Although I fully understand your idea, I think its one step too far. The problem with bandit behaviour won't be solved by this. Players will just moan about it and call it a flaw in game design.

If this idea were to work, you would have to make it more passive than your suggestion. In the same way that you can tell your cold because you're shivering. The problem with psychosis, is that a real psychopath would not think he were a psychopath. He'd probably just think everyone else is wrong or something. My point is that psychosis can't be portrayed properly in a game because of its nature. The player/person wouldn't be aware, so a psychosis bar contradicts that.

So...

all non-bandits should have paranoia-bar (because u re afraid to be shoot). And when it's filled u'll see ur friend as a bandit and shoot him. That's fair