Sign in to follow this  
fickers

Dayz Standalone Random Events suggestion

Hi there, I recently played the "Wasteland" game-mode, and really fell in love with the idea of random events. I really think it would be a great addition to the Dayz Standalone as well as the mod. For instance a random car, weapon's case or such placed/stranded in a random location, notifying the server of it's position and it becomes a race against the other players in order to obtain it first. Not only would it bring a few more massive gunfights to the game, it would also be a great for the social part. People grouping up together in order to be the first ones on the objectives. However, for the ones arguing about this not being realistic, I figured that if you add radios as a very common item it could "receive" the coordinates or position of the events through the item.

Keep in mind, this is only my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

• Like 1

I've tried a little bit of Wasteland, and, it's pretty neat to find a vehicle that seems to have crashed into a tree with a couple bodies around it.

But what I don't like is the fact that there are sometimes live NPCs that'll fire back at you, nor do I like the fact that everybody in the server is notified of an event. How are you supposed to suddenly have a vision about a loot jackpot that's currenly across the map?

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

On our server we try and do this by offering a bounty on the top bandit over the last 48 hours then give locations of them delayed and infrequent but enough to get people to start hunting. We also offer admin giveaways where we'll spawn a littlebird or something give the exact location on the map and let everyone on the server go for it. It really spices up the gameplay

I've tried a little bit of Wasteland, and, it's pretty neat to find a vehicle that seems to have crashed into a tree with a couple bodies around it.

But what I don't like is the fact that there are sometimes live NPCs that'll fire back at you, nor do I like the fact that everybody in the server is notified of an event. How are you supposed to suddenly have a vision about a loot jackpot that's currently across the map?

I like the idea of hostile NPCs. I've played a few modified scenarios working with veteran AI but the NPCs were affected by heavy sway (or something). They had trouble hitting stuff but they would flank and ambush pretty effectively.

I played on a DayZ server a while ago where a NPC base with some loot spawned somewhere in the north. Heavily fortified with random patrols around. It's too much opposition; Wasteland's level of NPC presence (between 3 and 10) is pretty good and makes more sense.

Say, throughout the map, a dozen or so camps are placed at random at server start. In forests, hills and even in a city. The camp would consist of a few NPCs with some mid-high tier weapons (with the odd high-end equipment) based on a single bunker building and maybe a tent or two. Maybe a broken down, rare, vehicle nearby. How about a weaponless BRDM2 or a MTVR?

Said NPCs would be neutral/hostile to players. They would hold fire unless you approached them too much or shot toward them. Along with this, to help nearby players to find them, they would ALSO engage zombies. With limited ammo, they could easily be overrun if placed near a town. Otherwise, the odd forest zombie (as it has been suggested in parts many times before (random wild zombies)) would stumble upon them. So, as the server age grew, more and most NPC camps would get wiped out.

As for events, I can see a way to work around the general notification. Unlike the current crash-site system, FLYING helicopters manned by NPCs (who have the special gear) would fly around in the sky, airborne from an unknown location. To get the stuff, you would need to shoot them down. Hey, here's a good reason to bring the Strela or the Igla into DayZ.

Heck, the C130j could also do flybys and either crash on its own (the explosion is loud, can be heard from 4 or 5 kilometres out) or be shot down (you need a lot of firepower for that).

Randomised events can also happen, as long as the notification is limited to a specific range or if the events are dynamic. Say a NPC controlled convoy start at some extremity of the map, drive to a location or scout around (and engage zombies) for a limited time and then goes back somewhere to despawn.

Throwing ideas, this is what I have so far.

• Like 1

Then go and keep playing wasteland...way better imo.

random event in DayZ.

break a leg, get shot by an idiot on the hill / in the bush, recieve a roundhousekick from a zombie, get killed for nothing...

...waiting for player to create...

i like the idea of herds of zombies in the woods and in places you wouldnt expect them, as for flying npcs correct me if im wrong but the current engine doesnt allow for this to occur although it would be cool. As for BRDM hell no armoured vehicles on DayZ with no way of getting rid of them is ridiculous and massively OP unless the armour was nerfed so high calibre small arms could damage it. I like the idea of NPCs in camps but not many across the map they should be rare like chopper crash sites.

i like the idea of herds of zombies in the woods and in places you wouldnt expect them, as for flying npcs correct me if im wrong but the current engine doesnt allow for this to occur although it would be cool. As for BRDM hell no armoured vehicles on DayZ with no way of getting rid of them is ridiculous and massively OP unless the armour was nerfed so high calibre small arms could damage it. I like the idea of NPCs in camps but not many across the map they should be rare like chopper crash sites.

BRDMs are resistant but not immune. Tires can be blown. Otherwise, the BTR-40 (militia version, no weapons) which is very alike but without a roof (so shots coming from above can kill occupants. Both have windows in the front that are open when the engine is on.

As for helicopters, NPC can fly them (heck, NPCs can be told to do anything, go have fun in the vanilla/AO editor).

Along, I'd love to see the unarmed HMMWV or the HMMWV Ambulance (lets you heal to 10k?) or the MG Military Offroad make an appearance. The Vodnik (medical or disarmed PK version) could also fill in the niche of the absent amphibious.

A lot of vehicles could be brought by making sure the weapons are removed or without ammo (it can be done easily, both).

• Like 1

im not really adverse to adding land vehicles with weaponry i think it would liven up gameplay as long as they are not armoured. I think the issue with NPC flying is adding them to a rotation to be implemented into a server if someone could successfully do it, it would be awesome but i think the likelihood is very low. As for the HMMWVs that would be awesome. i dont agree with the medical one being able to heal 10k blood on its own though maybe if you had a passenger in the back it could heal someone like a bloodbag but it would need to be restricted to a certain number of heals to make it realistic

Edited by Izex

But what I don't like is the fact that there are sometimes live NPCs that'll fire back at you, nor do I like the fact that everybody in the server is notified of an event. How are you supposed to suddenly have a vision about a loot jackpot that's currenly across the map?

That's why I made the suggestions about radios or such items. If only people carrying a military grade radio was informed about these events.

Randomness sounds good in that you could come across planes, helis, ambulances, bean trucks, coke vans etc but the idea of the players being notified seems a bit...odd. Who would do the notifying? God?

Edited by DemonGroover

Random events - yes, why not. We have crash sites and they're random, something along those lines again would be awesome!

Notification / Mark on Map - Nope. Nope. Nope. I refer you to a recent thread where the new patch could have marked crash sites on to the map. The general concensus was that it was a terrible idea, and would only tempt people to be dicks and snipe the locations.

Randomness sounds good in that you could come across planes, helis, ambulances, bean trucks, coke vans etc but the idea of the players being notified seems a bit...odd. Who would do the notifying? God?

haha, i think what hes saying is for example in a helicopter it could be a mayday call. I dont think they should be notified. On a side note how good would it be to find bean and coke vans

Edited by beast101

if you had a radio like fallout 3 which attracted zombie if you had it on blah blah.. that could give you the opening of a quest like scenario..

suddenly a broadcast comes over the radio or you see writing on the walls for example that a military trunk has broken down and need of assistance.

you could even send in a npc controlled jumbo jet plane to come crashing through the city, dont think youll need a radio to know that ones there, everybody willl see it across the map will...

spawning new items and even new players but also attracting the attention of all players who see it already on the map to its location resulting in gang warfare for a few scraps of loot.

• Like 1