colekern

A re-vamped weapon and ammo equip system. (has pictures!)

I'm gonna start with this: this is a concept (for standalone), as in, NOT FINISHED. All of the ideas in this thread are completely open to community discussion. If you don't like it, keep your post stating your opinion polite and helpful. Post why you don't like it, how it could improved, or whatever. Just don't leave a post saying "OmgZ I don ot liek thos surgeshtin, yu sack fer mekeng it!! ):

Anyways, the suggestion. Right now, Arma's equip system is very rigid. I basically want players to have more choice when choosing weapons.

I suggest that we use a "slot" system. We start with ten empty slots.

3HpcX.jpg

It's almost like a hotbar. Except most of the time, it won't be visible.

There are no restrictions on what weapons can and can't be put into your inventory. Two melee weapons? Okay. Two pistols? Go right ahead. Two assault rifles? You won't have much room for ammo, but okay.

This could also be used to balance overpowered sniper rifles. If they took up 7 spaces, and it's mags took up two spaces, then there wouldn't be much room for a sidearm now would there?

After you arrange all of your weapons, this is what it would look like:

vMAqx.jpg

The ammo counter could be removed to make you rely on further checking your mags. Mags could also be further expanded to load bullets, assuming the standalone will use an ammo system like that.

Now let's try something else: Let's replace the pistol with an MP5.

ZzxI1.jpg

Obviously, we had to drop some mags to hold the new gun.

If we had a melee weapon in place, we'd have to do the same thing: make room.

You would basically be making room whenever you found a new, somewhat better gun, and this would balance certain weapons by adding in a "how many slots does it take up?" kind of thing.

We would have to place a restriction on how many weapons can be carried (say, 3), because we don't want people running around with 10 pistols equipped.

Another thing that I think would balance the system is the fact that weapons will become rarer in standalone. Sure, you may be able to equip an SMG and rifle at the same, time, but good luck finding them!

So what do you think? Discuss! Tell me about what could be improved, what I could change, what needs to be overhauled, whatever.

P.S. Yeah, I know that the standalone's UI is being re-done. I just thought this was a cool idea.

Edited by colekern
  • Like 3

I like this although I don't know how practical this would be, also is this a hotbar or the entire inventory itself otherwise where is the food and medical?

Edit: never mind just read it again now I feel more or less like a fool.

Edited by burritoman259

I like this although I don't know how practical this would be, also is this a hotbar or the entire inventory itself otherwise where is the food and medical?

Lol, no prob. Glad you like it.

There already is a hot swap key for switching weapons. You will most likely never have more than two accessible to you in DayZ. 10 slots just makes it seem overzealous to me.

And there is a much better (imho) inventory system suggestion available so i refer you to that for my reasoning behind why it's better.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/38742-suggestions-for-the-dayz-standalone-thinking-outside-of-the-limitations-of-an-arma-2-mod/

Look under the "Revised inventory system" spoiler. It's the first in the original post ideas section.

There already is a hot swap key for switching weapons. You will most likely never have more than two accessible to you in DayZ. 10 slots just makes it seem overzealous to me.

And there is a much better (imho) inventory system suggestion available so i refer you to that for my reasoning behind why it's better.

http://dayzmod.com/f...-an-arma-2-mod/

Look under the "Revised inventory system" spoiler. It's the first in the original post ideas section.

I've read it many times. This is just my idea.

As I said, everything is up to community discussion.

Each mag takes up a slot except for the one stored in your gun.

You can't can't carry an unlimited amount of guns. It's limited to three.

Any ways I could improve it?

Edited by colekern

http://dayzmod.com/f...-an-arma-2-mod/

Also, I don't really like that inventories equip system because it's just so rigid. There's no room for the player really being able to adjust his equipped weapons.

Also, how is ten slots overzealous? I went over the number for a while and eventually decided it would have to be 9 or ten because I thought that you already had the ability to hold that much gear.

I like this, however, have you figured out how to equip different ammunition magazines that works on the same gun? For example I might want to switch my "normal" 5.56 NATO ammunition to subsonic variant for a little bit quieter time. Or simply switch from one mag to another larger capacity one that I found, but didnt want to throw away my old mag. The original arma have the scroll mouse interface for this.

Edited by GeneticFreak

if the game really supports single bullets/filling mags (and also give the possibility to trade bullets/convert to other empty mags) would be great.

it is alot more realistic to find a gun, with maby 1-3 mags, and then find ammo boxes where you can pick up the appropriate ammo type and use them for your weapon.

mags wont be consumed, but emptied, and need refillment.

you sir have my beans.

A sniper limited on a pistol as secondary? ... Hell no. Lost me there. There are plenty US Army Snipers that carry a lot of mags, for their secondary clearing pistol...

I don't like the idea of trying to limit some player styles based on making some weapons a harder carry combo. Someones really gonna have a easier time carrying a M4 and MP5 as compared to a M24 and a M9? I ok system if it was handled realistically.

I like the idea of being able to reload single bullets, this was already talked about by Rocket I believe... and many, many others...

I do support the over all method of handling ammo - as I have in other threads typed out similar to this...

There is even one guy out there that did a completely sexy looking UI and plan lay-out on reddit I believe.

A sniper limited on a pistol as secondary? ... Hell no. Lost me there. There are plenty US Army Snipers that carry a lot of mags, for their secondary clearing pistol...

I don't like the idea of trying to limit some player styles based on making some weapons a harder carry combo. Someones really gonna have a easier time carrying a M4 and MP5 as compared to a M24 and a M9? I ok system if it was handled realistically.

I like the idea of being able to reload single bullets, this was already talked about by Rocket I believe... and many, many others...

I do support the over all method of handling ammo - as I have in other threads typed out similar to this...

There is even one guy out there that did a completely sexy looking UI and plan lay-out on reddit I believe.

No, .50 cals take up more space because they weigh 25 pounds. Only .50 cals, nothing else.

Edited by colekern

I like this, however, have you figured out how to equip different ammunition magazines that works on the same gun? For example I might want to switch my "normal" 5.56 NATO ammunition to subsonic variant for a little bit quieter time. Or simply switch from one mag to another larger capacity one that I found, but didnt want to throw away my old mag. The original arma have the scroll mouse interface for this.

The slot would basically just show how many mags of each type you have left. Imagine the current pictures, just with a second mag.

I'd love to have magazines and ammunition separated in the game. It would make a lot more sense.

I think ammunition should also be rarer than it actually is in the mod so every single bullet you fire is precious. Lee Enfield, Marakov, .45 cartridges, shotgun shells, DMR, AR15, AK74 and AKM magazines are far too common right now.

I bit like in Metro 2033 on the harder difficulty level where you rarely have more than 2 full magazine for your main weapon.

Edited by Leto

I'd love to have magazines and ammunition separated in the game. It would make a lot more sense.

I think ammunition should also be rarer than it actually is in the mod so every single bullet you fire is precious. Lee Enfield, Marakov, .45 cartridges, shotgun shells, DMR, AR15, AK74 and AKM magazines are far too common right now.

I bit like in Metro 2033 on the harder difficulty level where you rarely have more than 2 full magazine for your main weapon.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hopefully we will till have the ability to put mags wherever we want. For instance if i have everything i need stashed at camp or in my hidden vehicle then i will equip only a close in assault weapon, a scoped weapon then fill up the rest of my inventory with mags a morph and go hunting.

First rule of thumb is if it aint broke don't fix it. The current inventory system is fine and works as is. They are redoing it however I doubt they are going to completely change it to anything remotely close to what you're suggesting here. Adding in hotkeys would ruin the whole realistic backpack aspect. In real life, you have to stop and take something out from your bag, you can't just press a number and magically take the item out.

The layout and even "We would have to place a restriction on how many weapons can be carried (say, 3)" tells me you want to add generic modern FPS aspects to the game, which pisses me off. DayZ is great for doing it's own thing and not needing to rely on overrated generic UI designs that have littered the fps industry within recent years. DayZ is not fast paced and does not need hotkeys or generic FPS UI.

I do agree and think it's a great idea for powerful weapons such as sniper rifles or LMG's to require more space than an assault rifle rather then them all being 10 slots.

First rule of thumb is if it aint broke don't fix it. The current inventory system is fine and works as is. They are redoing it however I doubt they are going to completely change it to anything remotely close to what you're suggesting here. Adding in hotkeys would ruin the whole realistic backpack aspect. In real life, you have to stop and take something out from your bag, you can't just press a number and magically take the item out.

The layout and even "We would have to place a restriction on how many weapons can be carried (say, 3)" tells me you want to add generic modern FPS aspects to the game, which pisses me off. DayZ is great for doing it's own thing and not needing to rely on overrated generic UI designs that have littered the fps industry within recent years. DayZ is not fast paced and does not need hotkeys or generic FPS UI.

I do agree and think it's a great idea for powerful weapons such as sniper rifles or LMG's to require more space than an assault rifle rather then them all being 10 slots.

First, you don't actually store items in your bag unless you manually store them there. You wouldn't be doing that here.

If you look at the weapon switching animations, you'll see that the primary weapon has a strap, it just isn't rendered because that's extremely hard to do without PhysX, something Arma 2 doesn't support. With this system, when you switch weapons, you don't stuff it in your backpack, you just move it to your back. Back, not backpack. Like this: http://i.imgur.com/fDpDG.jpg

The reason for the hotkeys is that, if you're carrying three weapons, it would be extremely clunky to use the scroll wheel, which will likely not be used in standalone. In that case, you would only use one key to switch, meaning you'd have to switch weapons multiple times to pull out a certain weapon.

How the heck did you get the "I want to add generic FPS aspects to DayZ" from restricting the amount of weapons? The reason I said this is because you wouldn't be able to store ten pistols on your body, you'd have to put them in your backpack... which you can still totally do.

Finally, who said DayZ is fast paced? Switching to a secondary would still take a decent chunk of time, especially if you had a second large weapon such as a SMG or Shotgun.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. This would be nothing more than the equip area, you would still have the regular inventory.

Not important...shooting is the only thing you need. Didn't you know?

I think that its a cool idea, but I dont understand why you cant use a full inventory screen. To me this seems like half quick menu, half full inventory, with the benefits of neither. I think get rid of the detail (like the '+' to expand) and keep it as simple as possible for the most commonly used items, hope this helps you OP.