Sign in to follow this  
newb (DayZ)

Can't for the life of me figure out how to improve FPS

I can't for the life of me pull more than 22 FPS with my NVIDIA card running, or 27 with my integrated card running. Does anyone have any tips? I benchmark FPS with Fraps. Also, I seem to get better FPS in cities, bunkers, or places without foliage. Any forests or grassy areas, my FPS likes to drop to ~14 NVIDIA ~18 Integrated.

These are my computer's specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel i7-3820QM running at 2.70GHz, 3.7GHz max boosted

(When DayZ is running, it likes to hover around 3.5GHz)

CPU is quad core with 8 threads running

DirectX 9

Integrated graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (2112 MB)

Discrete graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

24 Gigs of RAM

These are my DayZ launch parameters:

-winxp -cpuCount=4 -nosplash -high -noPause -world=empty -exThreads=7 -skipIntro -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=2047

These are my DayZ settings:

Interface Resolution: Windowed

3D Resolution: 1450x820 (83%)

Visibility: 1500

Texture Detail: High

Video Memory: Default

Anisotropic Filtering: Disabled

Antialiasing: Disabled

ATOC: Disabled

Terrain Detail: Normal

Objects Detail: Very Low

Shadow Detail: Disabled

HDR quality: Normal

PPAA: Disabled

Postprocesss effects: Disabled

Interface Size: Large

Aspect Ratio: Custom

Vsync: Disabled

I have tried tinkering with these settings for months to no avail, following every guide out there that I could find. Am I capped at ~25-30 FPS Max? Is it possible for me to go higher?

I can't for the life of me pull more than 22 FPS with my NVIDIA card running, or 27 with my integrated card running. Does anyone have any tips? I benchmark FPS with Fraps. Also, I seem to get better FPS in cities, bunkers, or places without foliage. Any forests or grassy areas, my FPS likes to drop to ~14 NVIDIA ~18 Integrated.

These are my computer's specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel i7-3820QM running at 2.70GHz, 3.7GHz max boosted

(When DayZ is running, it likes to hover around 3.5GHz)

CPU is quad core with 8 threads running

DirectX 9

Integrated graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (2112 MB)

Discrete graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

24 Gigs of RAM

These are my DayZ launch parameters:

-winxp -cpuCount=4 -nosplash -high -noPause -world=empty -exThreads=7 -skipIntro -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=2047

These are my DayZ settings:

Interface Resolution: Windowed

3D Resolution: 1450x820 (83%)

Visibility: 1500

Texture Detail: High

Video Memory: Default

Anisotropic Filtering: Disabled

Antialiasing: Disabled

ATOC: Disabled

Terrain Detail: Normal

Objects Detail: Very Low

Shadow Detail: Disabled

HDR quality: Normal

PPAA: Disabled

Postprocesss effects: Disabled

Interface Size: Large

Aspect Ratio: Custom

Vsync: Disabled

I have tried tinkering with these settings for months to no avail, following every guide out there that I could find. Am I capped at ~25-30 FPS Max? Is it possible for me to go higher?

Try drop the ones in red.

I've found that dropping the 3D res by just one level gave me an extra 10 FPS. Only problem is that it's blurry as balls so you have to adjust the interface resolution as well.

I'm noticing a pretty big trend in i7 processors and people having much lower FPS than they should.

I have an i5-3570k, GTX 670 and 8Gb of RAM, and I can run DayZ with everything maxed out, at a pretty stable 50 FPS.

Try drop the ones in red.

Didn't help :/

I've found that dropping the 3D res by just one level gave me an extra 10 FPS. Only problem is that it's blurry as balls so you have to adjust the interface resolution as well.

Gave me an extra couple. I'm testing in the forest right now, because that's where the major problem is. I average ~20/21 down to 80% resolution.

I'm noticing a pretty big trend in i7 processors and people having much lower FPS than they should.

I have an i5-3570k, GTX 670 and 8Gb of RAM, and I can run DayZ with everything maxed out, at a pretty stable 50 FPS.

I've noticed that as well >_< I just can't for the life of my find a way to compensate for it or fix it.

Go into your N Vidia control panel and for starters take off Ambient Occlusion for arma 2. Have a scroll through the rest of the options and set it to Application controlled where possible. Go into the game and into options/video options and disable anti-aliasing. Enable fxaa x4 and that should give you atleast a 10/20 fps boost. Failing that get a new gpu :)

Edited by Delta Smoke 01

The problem is your gpu, intel 4000 is not meant for gaming. I have a GT540M and a intel 4000 and i get like 18 fps on low settings in skyrim with the intel 4000 but 30-45 fps with the GT540M on medium-high settings and the newest drivers .

However i think you should be getting more than 22fps with the Nvidia card : o

Edited by ninjan777

Are the power management settings set for maximum performance? Your dedi gfx should always be better than onboard

Go into your N Vidia control panel and for starters take off Ambient Occlusion for arma 2. Have a scroll through the rest of the options and set it to Application controlled where possible. Go into the game and into options/video options and disable anti-aliasing. Enable fxaa x4 and that should give you atleast a 10/20 fps boost. Failing that get a new gpu :)

Tried all of that, I dont drop below ~18 in foliage :P

The problem is your gpu, intel 4000 is not meant for gaming. I have a GT540M and a intel 4000 and i get like 18 fps on low settings in skyrim with the intel 4000 but 30-45 fps with the GT540M on medium-high settings and the newest drivers .

However i think you should be getting more than 22fps with the Nvidia card : o

Agreed

that gpu is pretty weak

Designed for CAD and workstation tasks :)

Are the power management settings set for maximum performance? Your dedi gfx should always be better than onboard

Yep, Maximum

Try setting your interface resolution and 3d resolution to the same size. Also, try this:

Go to documents>Arma 2

Open Arma2 and Arma2oa (both are cfg files with notepad. Find Gpumaxframesahead= and Gpudetectedframesahead=.

Change whatever is after = to 1

try looking straight up at the sky, or straight down at the ground. if your fps doesn't improve, there's probably something else going on

Try setting your interface resolution and 3d resolution to the same size. Also, try this:

Go to documents>Arma 2

Open Arma2 and Arma2oa (both are cfg files with notepad. Find Gpumaxframesahead= and Gpudetectedframesahead=.

Change whatever is after = to 1

When 3D resolution is 100, I take a drastic performance hit

Already did

If you don't wanna upgrade any parts

Have you tried closing all applications you don't need?

Yes Sir!

try looking straight up at the sky, or straight down at the ground. if your fps doesn't improve, there's probably something else going on

They do improve drastically when I do that, I can pull 40-50 easy doing that. Wish I knew what was up

Im not saying 100%, I'm saying it has to match whatever you set the 3D resolution to.

Some servers seem to cause more client lag for some reason. If it's not that, just turn down your settings.