Sign in to follow this  
jaytmuk (DayZ)

Nightime Dayz Rocks!!!

I use to (like the vast majority of Dayz players, it seems) avoid night Dayz servers, I would log in and see the black screen then log out without even trying to play in the dark.

After hearing Rocket say he prefers Dayz at night, i thought id investigate, so i watched some videos on youtube about playing at night and tried some of the ideas out.

Flashlights - Chemlights - Flares, are your friends, And because most servers during their night cycle are low population you wont get that "Cod Deathmatch type of gameplay"

Night time Dayz is alot more tense and has alot more of a survival feel to the game.

So, use flares, chemlights and even your torch

Stock up on them when you find them.

Give it a shot, I bet you wont be disapointed.

(on a side note - Is there any servers out there that are permanent Night, or at least have a cycle still?)

Happy New Year all :)

x

701039078.jpg

Edited by jaytmuk
  • Like 7

Almost every server I go on is a cycle but I've never came across a always night server.

Just a tip if you didn't know, throw your chem light and then mouse wheel over it to pick it up and hold it, you can do this while armed, also works with flares, but chem lights are safer as players need to be a certain distance to spot you holding it (like really close, blue emits the least light that can be spotted if I remember right).

• Like 2

The only down of night is scopes are out the window unless it's a dmr.

Agree...I have NVG but when the moon is up i switch it off for the best gaming experience...

Edited by Play
  • Like 1

I usually go hatchet/crossbow with red chemlights, flares and a flashlight.

I throw a red chemlight and pick it up, so if I get attacked by a zombie in the dark, I can see it. Flares and flashlights are just to spot zombies and distract players (Trust me, it works)

By the way, smoke grenades work great while it's night time. As a distraction for zombies.

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 5

I usually go hatchet/crossbow with red chemlights, flares and a flashlight.

I throw a red chemlight and pick it up, so if I get attacked by a zombie in the dark, I can see it. Flares and flashlights are just to spot zombies and distract players (Trust me, it works)

By the way, smoke grenades work great while it's night time. As a distraction for zombies.

Yours sounds like survival gameplay to me :), I wish youtubers would show that type play instead of the military stuff (thats should be Arma play imo)

x my beans to you my brother :)

in fairness anyone who hasn't run round electro / or cherno at night, with it lit mainly by flares and loads of Z's spawned have missed one of the truly great horror experiences of Dayz, particularly when you get hemed in by Z's and the light slowly fades!!

• Like 2

It's a whole different game at night, and one that elicits even more anxiety that daylight play. The 24h daylight servers are doing their players a disservice by denying them the experience. One might say it is the player's choice, but the proliferation of day only servers is so great often there is no good alternative. What to do then with all those flares and chemlights?

Sutinen: good post. Beans for you.

• Like 1

Truthfully, I dislike playing on moonless nights without NVGs. I'm too paranoid to turn on my flashlight or throw a flare.

Edited by Parasprite

The lightning during nighttime is horrible in ARMA, even on maximum settings it still looks bad.

Chemlights are the way to go at night if you don't have NVG's. The blue ones are the best. Flashlights are too damned buggy to bother with and flares attract zombies. Playing at night is great, you don't really have to worry too much about the zombies, they don't see you worth a damn at night. You really only have to worry about other players with NVG's or rifles with NV scopes. While the DMR is the only sniper rifle that works with NVG's all the assault rifles I have tried work well with the NVG's so you do have to worry about other players more because if they have the NVG's and you don't you are easy prey if they chose to hunt.

I will say that it can be funny as hell to watch other players at night when you have NVG's and they don't. I just sit off somewhere and watch people come and go and most of the time they never even know you are watching them.

If just switching to the flashlight wouldn't be such a hassle...

Im only play night time now to avoid the "Cod Deathmatch type of gameplay".

One thing that needs a tweak is NVGs/scopes...a limited battery life and hard to find or removed from the game.

So after camping for 20mins looking for some easy kills, the NVGs are now flat and all you have is flares, chem-lights and torch.

Ill bet alot of snipers will wish they hadn't camped on that building/hill.Only now having flares, chem-lights, torch to find their way down after the NGVs have gone flat and sticking out like dogs balls.

I agree, it's so much more atmospheric and immersive. It also looks a lot better graphically, it's just a pity people don't play at night, or very few, at least.

If just switching to the flashlight wouldn't be such a hassle...

Its a nightmare.

I found a goat at night and decided to kill it for the meat and was low on ammo and I had to use the axe to kill it.

I had to go to a road,drop almost my whole kit.Pick up the axe and chemlight and kill goat.go back to piles of my kit.Drop axe,pick up knife,go back to goat,gut it and then go back and pick up my kit.

Playing at night gives that extra bit of creepy, I quite like it. Too bad you can basically cheat by messing with the gamma setting

I encourage night time play.. and when i can find a server that is my time zone and populated with good admins.. its a relief.. but perm night would be as annoying as perm daylight

Been playing at night since private hives first started coming out. The server I played on was a cycle but I was usually only on during the night time and I never used gamma / brightness. Felt like the way Dayz was supposed to be played.

If the game allowed you to move at a pace of more than 2 Mph with a flashlight without flinging it around like a moron, I would play night.

Edited by colekern
  • Like 1

it is cool, but I feel like too many players are probably cheating by turning up the brightness/gamma

Truth be told, I hate playing night. The reason is the light getting thrown up and down thing while sprinting is really quite annoying, and walking like a slug will get me nowhere, fast. I'd play night, if I'm in say, Cherno, or Electro, but sprinting around in the pitch black night, with constant light beams flinging up and down my screen, hell no. :lol: :lol:

Perhaps if I had nightvision :lol:

It seems like the devs were trying too hard to be realistic. I'm positive that even if I was in full sprint I could hold a flashlight beam steady and in front of me. As a matter of fact, I have before