finkone

Take On Helicopters (DayZ SA) flying adjustments!

I love it. Granted if this was implemented I would hate it as I don't really know how to fly a chopper in RL, I'd be better off with a plane as I have flown one. But still, this I believe is what rocket wanted. He wanted (according to Matt Lightfoot interview with RhinoCRUCH i think) for DayZ to become the sort of game where if you are good in RL at something, you would be good in the game i.e bypasing security systems, hacking etc.

This would make the game a lot more interesting and I would love if this got included with the "good in RL, good in game stuff"

Edited by Be4st

I'm sure many of you play Take on Helicopters with auto-trim off, But I'm also assuming you don't use a keyboard or mouse when you fly without auto-trim. Flying with auto-trim off and using your keyboard for the pedals is near impossible, If auto-trim is not implemented into the flight mechanics, could X and C have the same features as Q and Z, I'm not really sure how to word this but you know how in Take on Helicopters when you press Q it doesn't apply full throttle instead it just adds a little bit without setting it back to the bottom unlike when you press and let go of X or C it automatically sets itself back to the centre can that be used for the pedals too because I don't want to have to click X or C every millisecond? Many people would have to buy Joystick and Pedals if they don't have a set just for DayZ If that's not implemented. c:

• Like 1

In order to fly a heli you should also need track ir, a stick, & foot controls. Anything less is just to simple.

I do predict I will be screwing plenty of clans/pilots given the chance to ground them. Start up, screw up, & crack up! Have fun with your borked heli!

I don't understand how people would look for pilots anyways. Clans would most guaranteed have at least one person that can fly properly, lonewolves would most likely pass up on a helicopter anyways because who needs a helicopter if you're alone?

I suggested this idea a few weeks ago on reddit, and totally want that kind of mechanics implemented in DayZ. Actually you can already try by yourself if you have TakeOn and Arma2 or/and OA, since BI fused the two games in a TakeOn update called "Rearmed".

Here's an example

Now let's make DayZ the hard game we always wanted !

• Like 2

I agree that flying heli's should be harder. Not flight simulator level realism mind you. First person only would be a good start for all characters in the heli. Maybe allow just door gunner/crew chief to use 3rd person in flight each with a limited left/right & up/down mouse look consistent with what one might imagine a person could see from those positions. I like the immersive effect of flying in 1st person from the cockpit. With mouse look toggled it's great to be able to look out the windows and only see what I imagaine a heli pilot would really see. To each their own, of course. I actually fly with the mouse though so toggling mouse look is only for looking around at some altitude. I do hold in mouse look occasionally to check for objects on landing when I'm already level in 1st person though. When I'm solo in DayZ I still mostly use 3rd person to land. I'm really just now getting around to practicing my 1st person landing with and without auto-hover. Flaring to a stop at low alt is difficult when you can't see through the floor of your heli and you can only guess where your tail rotor is. Hopefully I'll soon master those low and fast approaches I see people doing in videos!

My major problem with the game engine and heli flying is the incorrect function of the pedals rotating the heli around the players perceived position behind the bird in 3rd person. Heli pedal function should always rotate the airfraim relative to the main rotor shaft just at different rates based on forward speed! Torque math is way beyond me though. I haven't gotten nearly enough ingame flight hours in to be any kind of expert but fixing this glaring issue would make heli flght noticably better, imo. I have heard that BI's ToH flight model is much better. I'm really curious to see how the Arma3 engine handles roto flight.

I suggested this idea a few weeks ago on reddit, and totally want that kind of mechanics implemented in DayZ. Actually you can already try by yourself if you have TakeOn and Arma2 or/and OA, since BI fused the two games in a TakeOn update called "Rearmed".

Here's an example

nice video

Now let's make DayZ the hard game we always wanted !

This steam version http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13794/?snr=1_7_suggest__13 is compatible with the no steam version of Arma CO?

Can I use update called "Rearmed" in this combination?

This steam version http://store.steampo...1_7_suggest__13 is compatible with the no steam version of Arma CO?

Can I use update called "Rearmed" in this combination?

I have no idea since I use Arma 2:CO on Steam and have the demo version of TakeOn. :/

EDIT : okay i really want to check out, so i buyed TakeOn and the Hinds extension on Steam. Editing my post when it's installed !

Edited by TNTantoine

"This is your pilot speaking: Please keep your arms and legs inside the aircraft at all times. I will be Initiating the startup sequence, and we'll be ready for take off shortly." Oh how annoying it will be for everyone when I talk everyone through the startup over chat every time.

Certainly not up to DCS: Black shark levels of complexity (If anyone's wondering there's a vid of the startup procedure

). A cut down version of the TOH startup sequence would be perfect. Just a small checklist of the startup procedures and a requirement for them to warm up and activate would do. The consequences of missing a step or rushing to the next step without warm up time could range from the heli not responding, the heli stalling and the startup sequence resetting, engine damage due to not letting it warm up all the way through to damage from an improper takeoff. No idea about a suitable interface though.

That would be crazy!!!

Today I flew my first heli. I found it randomly after falling out of a truck. Pretty epic way to go. Worked out great because we were heli hunting after a reset anyway, but here's my point. I never flew a heli in this game before. I opened the menu real quick and went over the basic keys, just enough to get from point A to B, and I was able to fly just fine without any trouble. I hate flying anything in games, and very rarely ever do. But I was able to pull this off no problem. It might be too easy.

I'm sure many of you play Take on Helicopters with auto-trim off, But I'm also assuming you don't use a keyboard or mouse when you fly without auto-trim. Flying with auto-trim off and using your keyboard for the pedals is near impossible, If auto-trim is not implemented into the flight mechanics, could X and C have the same features as Q and Z, I'm not really sure how to word this but you know how in Take on Helicopters when you press Q it doesn't apply full throttle instead it just adds a little bit without setting it back to the bottom unlike when you press and let go of X or C it automatically sets itself back to the centre can that be used for the pedals too because I don't want to have to click X or C every millisecond? Many people would have to buy Joystick and Pedals if they don't have a set just for DayZ If that's not implemented. c:

Indeed, when auto-trim is off (standard in the higher 2 difficulties out of 4 in TOH) it's basically impossible to fly a helicopter with the keyboard. Everyone that doesn't at least have a joystick won't be able to fly, and I don't think that is a good idea for this game.

• Like 3

Okay, just tried flying around Chernarus with the little bird in TakeOn...

Holy mongus this is at the same time much more harder, but sooo much more rewarding and stimulating ! And BTW, when you know the startup sequences for the choppers you might play in DayZ, starting it takes no more than 1mn. Sounds long in case of emergency, but if you can't permit to wait for the pilot to fire the engine, just don't turn it off after the landing and defend it with your weps !

Can't wait to see it implemented !

Now back to that beauty :)

• Like 3

Holy mongus this is at the same time much more harder, but sooo much more rewarding and stimulating ! And BTW, when you know the startup sequences for the choppers you might play in DayZ, starting it takes no more than 1mn. Sounds long in case of emergency, but if you can't permit to wait for the pilot to fire the engine, just don't turn it off after the landing and defend it with your weps!

I think about a 1 minute sequence from jumping in to taking off is the kind of thing to aim for. 1 minute in the wrong place can mean your life and the life of your squad if you're in the wrong place. Not powering down to avoid it brings it's own problems, helis are loud and allow players to find you in moments. What happens in TOH if you get the sequence wrong? Are there any dangers to fumbling the startup sequence?

• Like 1

I think about a 1 minute sequence from jumping in to taking off is the kind of thing to aim for. 1 minute in the wrong place can mean your life and the life of your squad if you're in the wrong place. Not powering down to avoid it brings it's own problems, helis are loud and allow players to find you in moments. What happens in TOH if you get the sequence wrong? Are there any dangers to fumbling the startup sequence?

If you fail to do the startup sequence the right way, you'll see your instruments go all red and your chopper will emitt an agonizing sound... Better train yourself to remember the whole process !

• Like 2

I can see people not only stealing choppers but also kidnapping the chopper's pilot as well in order to make their escape - which is only a good thing :)

I have ToH and am failing badly when it comes to the most basic flying lessons - hehe

I have ToH and am failing badly when it comes to the most basic flying lessons - hehe

What's your difficulty setting? You shouldn't go above Trainee (2/4) when you're using a keyboard or new to flying in a heli-sim.

I can't fly in any higher difficulty, and I consider myself quite good at the Trainee setting. :P I love flying 5 meters above the ground in Chernarus and then raising it just in time to not hit a barn or trees.

• Like 1

I think it may have been the harder lessons, couldn't fly through the hoops.

Holy mongus this is at the same time much more harder, but sooo much more rewarding and stimulating ! And BTW, when you know the startup sequences for the choppers you might play in DayZ, starting it takes no more than 1mn. Sounds long in case of emergency, but if you can't permit to wait for the pilot to fire the engine, just don't turn it off after the landing and defend it with your weps !

Can't wait to see it implemented !

Now back to that beauty :)

This. I'm not trying to limit people that can fly to just keyboard - I myself use a Joystick, I won't lie about that. I can however fly very slowly, and ugly using the Veteran setting, but cannot get to the pilot level I can use with a joystick.

Its a valid point that whoever made about limiting the ability to fly from players that don't have a joystick and I think it could hinder the game a bit.

Like I said though, I can fly with just a keyboard/mouse on veteran adjusting trims.

I completely agree with this. Same goes for sniping in my book and other specialized skills like driving a Ural. In real life the Ural would be an eighteen speed vehicle that required special licensing to operate. And NO ONE, can just pick up a DMR caliber weapon in real life and hit a target at a thousand yards out within the first five minutes. It is changes like these that will turn this game into a truly specialized experience for each player. Anything that encourages teamwork should be encouraged. It should take months of playing to build a well rounded squad.

The question is. How do you take this aspect and turn it into a well rounded squad vs. squad experience. If you read The Walking Dead comics you'll know what I am talking about. Zombie hordes that spawn more infrequently than heli crashes anyone? If you are spotted by a horde alone it equals certain death, but if your squad is well equipped and trained it would be simply a major threat. How about mega hordes once a restart that require all squads on a server to team up in order to return to survival / player vs. player experience.

I completely agree with this. Same goes for sniping in my book and other specialized skills like driving a Ural. In real life the Ural would be an eighteen speed vehicle that required special licensing to operate. And NO ONE, can just pick up a DMR caliber weapon in real life and hit a target at a thousand yards out within the first five minutes. It is changes like these that will turn this game into a truly specialized experience for each player. Anything that encourages teamwork should be encouraged. It should take months of playing to build a well rounded squad.

The question is. How do you take this aspect and turn it into a well rounded squad vs. squad experience. If you read The Walking Dead comics you'll know what I am talking about. Zombie hordes that spawn more infrequently than heli crashes anyone? If you are spotted by a horde alone it equals certain death, but if your squad is well equipped and trained it would be simply a major threat. How about mega hordes once a restart that require all squads on a server to team up in order to return to survival / player vs. player experience.

I don;t think you should have to FORCE people to play together. even World of Warcraft filtered that out. I like to play with people - yes. but forcing people to do something is not the best idea.

I would only agree with this if they implemented a practice feature. Basically like the editor in Arma 2. Because if you only get to practice in the actual DayZ game it's going to be:

- Find a helicopter

- Find all the parts it needs to become operational

- Repair it

- Attempt to take off and probably immediately crash

How is this different from the bi-plane in game for the vast majority of players? I love that out of most of the players on my main server, there are zero other players that have successfully landed this thing. As time has gone by, the only people that mess with the bi-plane fresh spawns are me and new players that haven't died yet. I didn't magically learn to land this thing, I spent time putting all my gear in a hidden tent and trying my hand at flying it. Took a few deaths, but those deaths were worth learning something that other people never will. I feel the same way about a lot of things in this game where people take for granted that they are in a game, and deserve to be an expert at everything the game presents. I've taught shooting classes and know first hand what your average person can do with a gun the first time they get their hands on one. A grand total of nothing. I feel the same way towards people wanting to just jump in a helicopter and fly it away like this is an arcade game. And the mind blowing part is that even though this game has one of the most simplified huey operations out there already, people still can't seem to fly them without dying half the time.

I would love to see them actually add in mechanics that reward a person who takes the time to learn something and therefore make that skill valuable.

• Like 3