Sign in to follow this  
Flonner

Special Skills

Hello everybody!

First of all I want to say sorry if my English is bad, it isn't my mother tongue :D

Second I want to say that the allmighty search function didn't find a similiar topic.

We all want more communication and more teamwork between the player of DayZ but we all also know the reason why people are killing each other.

Often its pure greed because the guy I see has better weapons, a bigger backpack or something else.

We all want this to stop.

My idea goes along with some kind of crafting system, because I think, if we want a quite realistic (if you want to use this word) zombie apocalypse simulator, we need more simple things.

I know that the devs are working on so many things for the DayZ-Standalone and I can't wait till it's released. I also hope that I can give a little input for the later phases of the development, for a patch or something.

Now I want to ask you a little question :D

What makes us different from other people, except the way we look?

The answer is simple. It's the knowledge and our skills.

Some clever people might know what my suggestion is. At least I hope so :)

If there were some books, which improve your skills in different things, like repairing a car or repairing weapons (I think I read something about weapons which can break), every player would have a different use and a community, which plays hand in hand could exist.

You could find these "skill-books" in different places. Here's a little example: a book for repairing cars or something else can only be found at industrial areas.

There should also be military books, for crafting ammo, repairing weapons and such things.

This should open the possibility to players for working together, instead of working against each other, because these skills will make players unique.

To prevent a player from becoming the "overbrain", they will only be able to learn a set amount of skills.

My idea is pushing this game a little more into a rpg game, like Fallout, but it should still remain as the DayZ we all know and love it.

Again, sorry for my bad English, I hope you still understand me :)

What do you think about this idea?

You like it or you don't?

• Like 2

We want this to stop? But... this is the entire reason behind a post apocalyptic scenario survival game. It's like asking the rain to stop being wet.

That being said, go listen to Rocket Dean Anderson Hall's ^_^ interviews and Q&A sessions. You will see that this is the direction he is going with the standalone.

This seems like fallout just a tad bit with skill books, just saying they most likely are not going to have in game levelable skills, that leans towards war z if you want skills.

• Like 1

Considering that there are hackers on the loose still, and that they can spawn in any kind of object(As far as I've seen) it could result in every fifth person being a mechanic, military engineer and other... It would be nice but I doubt that you can just walk into an old military building and find a guide on how to make ammo -.-'

• Like 1

No. Dayz is hardcore survival part of hardcore survival is everyone being on even terms. This will reward clanners and people with groups and punish everyone else. Its already bad with clans and large groups having all the vechs...

• Like 1

Actually I think having skills can go in another direction. If you have ever played the flash game The Last Stand: Union City (If not you can just play it here:http://armorgames.com/play/12009/the-last-stand-union-city) you can see there is a prompt at the start of the game for what you want you skill sets to be. So whether you want to be someone strong in the use of melee wepons or someone with alittle more marksmanship training than the average Joe survivor you can just spend a handful of skill points on it.

I think this could possibly play alittle more into the idea that the players creating the story if not everyone is expected to be of the same muscular build and fitness or have the same ammount of medical training, ect..

• Like 1

I think having levelling up in certain areas are good but not from skill books. I think that you should pick what you were before the apocolypse to give you a small but permanent perk. Like you were a cop before the apocalypse so you have a small bonus for secondary weapon damage or steadiness, was a doctor before the apocalypse, so a small bonus for medical related issues, was a thief before apocalypse, quieter when crouched and proned.

• Like 1

^

And if you are a businessman or an ice cream seller before the apocalypse ?

Or yeah, maybe we can do like fallout 1 or 2 with the system of "ancestors" (or something like that) where you choose a type of ancestor do you have like : "son of a cooker" and you have some malus and bonus connected to your "ancestor" or maybe your "old profession".

Then it's a little like in Fallen Earth with knowledge book you mean ?

I don't know, it's realistic but i'm afraid that can be bad for the game...

• Like 1

I think basing on the skill book and have a limit of max skills is a good idea, + you must lost all skill when you die (Obviously!)

What will happen now is: "OK. We found the car. We gather the parts. And no one know how to fix the damm thing!?!" Thus causing the team to find skill books or someone who can fix a car.

And: "Wha! I just learned how to fix a car, then that damm bandit snipe me?!? FUCK!"

This will promote teamwork & skill trading, as you cannot loot skills from the corpse.

Plus, die after you just learn the skill will be heart breaking!

And I am against gaining skill from background, since if you can gain skill from background, people would just 'hide their stuff', commit a suicide, reselect their background and respawn when they need some skill.

Alright here's a scenario for you:

Hackers:

Oh bull****, my amazing chopper is broken and now I cant transport myself to other players to piss them off! Oh wait, what's that! Let's spawn an engineer book and let us repair our chopper magically! woop!

Survivors:

Car broken, damn. Oh a book, I can use the book to fix my car definately!

I honestly doubt that you can find a book that is in good shape, explains everything detailed and lets your absorb the knowledge from it in 0.5 seconds..

So if you're trying to put in survival aspects already, make it like finding pages, you find one page on how to correctly input a tire(Just an example), the other pages will show you how to fix the engine etc.. And in the end, you will create a whole book when only AFTER you have the entire book you can learn from it. Otherwise this is just unrealistic.

Edited by Ratsmon
  • Like 2

Alright here's a scenario for you:

Hackers:

Oh bull****, my amazing chopper is broken and now I cant transport myself to other players to piss them off! Oh wait, what's that! Let's spawn an engineer book and let us repair our chopper magically! woop!

Survivors:

Car broken, damn. Oh a book, I can use the book to fix my car definately!

I honestly doubt that you can find a book that is in good shape, explains everything detailed and lets your absorb the knowledge from it in 0.5 seconds..

So if you're trying to put in survival aspects already, make it like finding pages, you find one page on how to correctly input a tire(Just an example), the other pages will show you how to fix the engine etc.. And in the end, you will create a whole book when only AFTER you have the entire book you can learn from it. Otherwise this is just unrealistic.

Why would a hacker spawn a engineer book and not just a new helicopter?

• Like 2

Why would a hacker spawn a engineer book and not just a new helicopter?

Good point...

Even if you read a book you don't instantly know how it works..otherwise you wouldn't need over 3 years of training as an apprentice to learn the trade like we do in germany and even then you are still at level ZERO because you need experience. Skills you are referring to are more like learning by doing with a lot of trial and error on an amateur craftsman's level .

Nobody can do everything, so i believe it should be key that people should be forced to work together in order to get somewhere. Lonewolves can only get that far even if they have a lot of skills. I stumbled over the series "Doomsday Preppers" in youtube where even the preppers would work with others and even encourage them to have a stable community and rebuild society as far as possible. And all of them rely on eachother.

FYI, people: stop using this dumb "and then hackers will" arguement. They can just spawn a bunch of weapons - remove them from the game too?

Great idea. Anything that makes you think twice before killing something is good and skills can work perfectly in this case.

If you just read a book, you wont master something the second you've read it, but you can perfor the action while using the book as a manual. I won't become a gunsmith the second I've read a book, but I sure will be able to disassemble and clean M4 while using the book as a referrence and manual. So reading a book can help you aquire some basic skills. And of course you should be able to have a limited amount of skills. A lone wolf doesn't need to know how to drive all the vehicles, craft everything, cook everything and be a pro surgeon at the same time. Being limited in skills is a price you pay for depending only on yourself.