Tigerr13

DayZ 1.7.1 Discussion - Others will be locked/deleted!

bla bla bla tl'dr all that stuff you just wrote

you're making it too complicated my friend. here's the bottom line.

people just want to come home from a hard day's work and shoot their imaginary gun at things. don't make it harder than it has to be for us to do this.

i saw an interview/play together totalbiscuit and rocket(first of all this was entertaining and fun to watch so i applaud that rocket took the time to do this) what i rly noticed tho was that they were playing on the latest version(maybe even a newer version as they seemed to be on some sort of testserver)and rocket even said that new players normally dont start with a gun and alot of supplies,yet both of them started with the starting items we got before 1.7(guns,lots of ammo,food,waterbottle,....)

this to me shows that rocket knew if we start without supplies and any way to defend ourself this playthrough for this new player(it seemed to be totals first play) is simply not goin to be any fun(and it wouldnt have been,just running away is not fun at all,in a game where u get attacked u need some way to defend yourself)

he did say that at an earlier life he had spent hours trying to find a gun(a feeling i think we all know very well by now)

i feel that simply limiting starting ammo would reduce triggerhappy people on the beach.if at all possible make it so that new players are not lootable in their first 30minutes of life(this would kinda suck,but if u rly want to stop people camping newly spawned people for their startinggear this is the way to go i think)

Spent a few hours last night on .1.5 and having had a night to think on it, I got a combined feedback and bug report post. Its kind of a mental dump, so not in a specific order. Don't want to spend forever editing it since I'm already wasting time at work as it is :D

FEEDBACK = Opinion

BUG = Pretty sure its not supposed to work this way

REPORT = Not sure if this is intended or a limitation of the game engine or if you even care about it but I'm bringing it up anyway

1) FEEDBACK: Zombie aggro is MUCH better now.

Its still not perfect (occasional aggros through walls while not making noise, etc) but I didn't feel nearly as helpless as before. And I'm not talking about the "omg this is a great scary movie" helpless, I'm talking about a "WTF, this game is bugged" kind of helpless. The bad kind. So very nice on that one.

2) BUG: Zombies still interact through walls.

Like I said, I've gotten aggro through a wall while laying prone. I was right next to the wall, so perhaps the zombie was within range of some kind of auto-detect aggro thing? Maybe I'd clipped through the wall a bit? Either way, he not only aggro'ed on me but started attacking and landing blows through the wall.

On that same note, I was trying to lose some zombies in a house and was hiding in a corner of an upstairs room as the zombies were coming upstairs. Some of them started attacking me through the stairwell wall. Again, was I the one clipping through?

3) BUG: Players can interact through walls, too!

Not sure if this was always there, but I was climbing the stairwell of the Elektro firehouse and noticed an up/down arrow (forget which). Not sure what it was for, I middle-clicked and went through the "mounting ladder" animation, after which I warped outside and was on the ladder out there.

4) REPORT: Door triggers seem to have a radius type range that doesn't take terrain into account.

Again, at the firehouse, took me awhile to figure out what door I was opening and closing from either on the roof or in the stairwell, but it was one of the main firehouse bay doors. I've noticed that doors can be triggered from everywhere in the past, but this was the first time I've been able to actuate them from obviously impossible places.

5) REPORT - Zombie behavior is still kind of glitchy inside buildings but I'm not sure if its intended or not.

Specifically, they sometimes alternate between slow walks and sprinting. In .1.4 I noticed a LOT of zombies that were running full-tilt the entire time they were inside buildings, but in .1.5 its much more back to them walking indoors. They just sprint between walk points from time to time now.

6) FEEDBACK: Knockout time should be nerfed

I'd attracted some attention and had run inside a house to manage slower zombies, but had found a hatchet (needing to reload still makes me chuckle) and was confident I could take them since I was still almost full health.

I kind of wish I'd FRAP'ed it, and maybe I'll start doing that.. memory colors things in the shade of how you were feeling so I'm not sure how accurate my numbers are, but I'm trying to be objective here..

Either way, I'd killed most of the zombies and had one or two more after me. I'm pretty sure only one was indoors, the other was still running around outside, trying to figure out where the door was. I don't know what my health was, but I know it was over 8000 at this point. I was probably bleeding. This one zombie gave me a knockout punch, and when the hourglass came up, it was not moving. Or more accurately, it was moving extremely slowly.

Figuring 500 damage per punch and 100 bleed damage per tick, with what, 2 seconds per tick? That's 300 damage per second, or 26 seconds to death. That knockout timer was not even close to the halfway mark yet. Maybe a little over a third?

Seriously, there's no need for that.

7) FEEDBACK: Assume survivors did in fact drink their milk

I'm noticing a WAAAAY higher incidence of broken bones as of late. Its getting kind of ridiculous.

I'd suggest tweaking the math a bit so that broken bones only happen via punches at a lower blood level than now, and at a MUCH lower rate, like maybe 1/4 or less of the current chance.

Given the scarcity of morphine these days and that you no longer spawn with it, even if you survive an encounter with a zombie, you're stuck crawling everywhere. And this is a BIG map. Even sprinting from point A to point B can take hours if you don't know exactly where you are and the exact shortest path. Crawling makes this game cripplingly boring.

And if you've actually found a gun and can finally play the game instead of playing this alternate Thief/Hitman stealth minigame, its not the kind of boring where you say "I'll just suicide and respawn so I can start this grand adventure again!". Its the kind of boring where you log out and don't log back in until a friend lets you know they have morphine and are in the area.

8) FEEDBACK: Spawn with a morphine (or a splint!)

Given that you spawn disarmed and can't fight back against any zombie you do aggro, even IF the math is changed as suggested in #7, a new spawn shouldn't be forced to automatically suicide just to have a play experience that's actually worth playing. Maybe they found a nice backpack, or a map and compass, just not a gun.

One chance to get back on your feet isn't too much to ask. IMO, not having it is too much to ask.

9) REPORT/FEEDBACK: Zombie run behavior is kind of erratic - is their run speed too high?

They sprint in random directions, zig-zag toward you, teleport in front of and behind you.. They're basically impossible to hit, since you never know where they actually *are* (as far as client vs server goes).

I'm not sure if this is a server lag issue or what, but maybe cutting their run speed would make them behave more smoothly? Would make losing them a little easier too.

Given that they can teleport right up to you, I've had zombies on me that I literally couldn't shake. Took aggro near a deer stand recently, ran up hills, down hills, around trees, through thick patches of pine trees, around fences, just couldn't lose the thing. Eventually got it off me for a sec when it glitched on another deer stand's ladder, but as soon as it broke free it was right back on me again.

Come to think of it, zombies seem to currently run FASTER than humans at full-tilt. I'm talking "C" mode, sprinting. They can always catch up no matter what, and looking over my shoulder it looks like they drop off a bit when they take swings at you. The swings generally miss, but they're always right back on your tail. When they don't miss, seems like they quite often break your leg - which is even worse when you're bleeding and can't stop to bandage because you can't shake him!

10) FEEDBACK: Increase gun spawns

In my dozens of respawns since 1.7.1.x, I've found exactly three guns.

First was an unloaded Makarov in the air control tower by the airfield. I was eaten shortly thereafter, since zombies saw me and covered every exit, climbing up stairs and up the ladder.

Second was a G17 with two mags that I just found last night at the Elektro fire house.

Third was an Enfield I found in a random house in a random town north and west of Elektro. This one I will not fire unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY because as we all know, this gun's on the edge of not being even worth having. A hatchet is more useful than the Enfield.

On the other hand, I've found more ammo than I know what to do with. Not ammo for the G17, mind you. I have MP5 mags, AK mags, AR mags, .45/M1911, shells galore, DMR mag, even a damn 200 round machine gun belt!

I don't know if I just have abnormal luck as far as my loot spawning goes, but seriously - hours upon hours of looting houses and barracks and towers and warehouses and hunting stands and the only useable gun I find in five patches is a G17?

11) BUG - Is leaning broken right now?

I noticed that as of .1.5, hitting Q and E don't lean. Still roll while prone, but leaning doesn't work.

12) BUG/N00b question - How the hell do you actually USE a flashlight?

I've never actually gotten a flashlight to work in any patch. I get the flashlight in the pistol slot, I hit "L", nothing happens. In case the mapping was off, I looked through the control config and mashed pretty much every button that looked like it might use an item or toggle something.

I've heard that "it only works at night", but that doesn't seem to have any impact. First time I found one was inside a house at night, and it was pitch black.

The G17 looks like it has a flashlight on it. Is this one supposed to toggle with "L" as well? If I switch to 3rd person view it looks like the light is always on, but there's no illumination to be had.

Am I supposed to hit "F" to put it into a different firing more or something? Do I need to do the Steam "verify cache" thing?

13) FEEDBACK/BUG: Throwing cans generally works!

Very cool, I only recently learned that this was something that could be *done*, its not actually documented anywhere. I posted a suggestion to the Newbie Guide thread about that, actually.

The throwing is a bit bugged, in that hitting "F" to change modes will sometimes throw whatever the first throwable item is, whether you want to throw it or not. Its a good way to get attention in the wrong place, waste a smoke grenade or flare, get yourself killed, etc. Especially bad when you're prone and hiding, waiting for the proper time to throw a can. Hurp de durp, I'll just stand all the way up and throw a can at the zombie on the other side of this short shrub! OH NOES IM GETTING EATED!

Its kind of hard to predict where a can will land and whether it'll even be within audible range of a zombie (seriously, we got some major league pitchers here!) but I think that will come with practice.

Overall I do very much like this functionality and feel it adds immensely to the feel of a horror movie where you use distraction to sneak by a danger you don't want to confront!

14) FEEDBACK: Spawning without weapons of any kind is still too rough

I get that you don't want new spawns running around and PVP'ing and running through cities with no fear at all. But its swung too far the other way, and remains this way in this patch. Lack of defense of ANY kind makes the game too difficult and not fun until a weapon is found. ANY mistake and get spotted, you gotta run, you pick up an entourage, you may or may not be able to shake them by running through a building. You come across another survivor with a gun, you're dead. I had a guy chase me down just to take my bicycle that I'd just found near the spawn area. Knocked me out, ran up, murdered me.

At the very least, give spawns a melee weapon. As I've said before, make the flashlight into a MAG. Let them pick up a rock or a stick or one of those axes we see stuck into stumps sometimes. We have arms, let us be somehow armed!

15) FEEDBACK: Final Thoughts

Overall, this patch has made the game playable again. Patch .1.4 was impossible to play for me because spawning with aggro and having the zombies sprint through a house along with you made it impossible to shake them.

That being said, I said "playable", not "fun" and think the difficulty still needs to be tweaked down a little. I'm still not even really sure what to do when getting aggro on a zombie after spawning, because all you can do is run, which sets your visibility/aggro to max, which means you pick up more aggro, which means that you end up with a train of zombies after you. If you can't shake the entire group in one barn (if there's even a barn nearby) and a single one is still on you when you exit the other side, you still have to continue running, and the cycle continues. Its frustrating, not fun.

Bones break too easily, lack of spawn morphine means you're going to be randomly screwed by a random punch.

Knockout punches are too common and can last FAR too long.

Weapons are too sparse, making it a game of crawling everywhere hoping not to get spotted, then trying to lose an entire gaggle once you ARE spotted and are forced to get up and run.

Yes, this patch made it so you CAN survive, but it still feels more like a chore than a challenge. With a couple tweaks to some numbers and fixing some more of the glitches (like wall clipping), its definitely going to be going in the right direction!

Just gave 1.7.1.5 a shot.

Zombie behaviour was good, framerate was good.

But was getting visual glitching how and then I haven't seen before, big white/grey polygons filling the screen, big triangles. Sometimes filled the whole screen. At a guess, it looks perhaps like shadow polygons, but that's just a guess.

Just gave 1.7.1.5 a shot.

Zombie behaviour was good' date=' framerate was good.

But was getting visual glitching how and then I haven't seen before, big white/grey polygons filling the screen, big triangles. Sometimes filled the whole screen. At a guess, it looks perhaps like shadow polygons, but that's just a guess.

[/quote']

Ok, add that to my list then as a BUG.

I saw a LOT of that myself, especially when crossing railroad tracks.

I thought it was just my video card overheating since it was so hot last night (and will be again tonight, from the looks of it)

i also noticed some visual glitching that wasnt there before.

also im happy im not the only one who is annoyed at the bones breaking easy,i can see how breaking bones is part of arma 2.but since its kinda buggy and happens so easy,maybe(if this is even possible)they should change it so a sprain,where instead of bein forced prone to move ur forced to crouch,this would slow u down and make u easy prey for zombies and other players,yet wouldnt make it so hard to get around this huge map that u would rather suicide,specialy since u cant enter many buildings while prone.

for me either the object interaction needs alot of improvement or broken bones is better of getting replaced by something else.ive lost way to much stuff getting crushed by buildings or falling of ladders

Zombie behavior is complete and utter garbage now. Zombies see, run, and attack through walls. Instead of releasing new fixes every day, have patience to take the time and get it right.

Is something wrong with 1.7.1.5? I just went from 1.7.1.4 last night when my character died and was playing it today.

I spend 4 hours, from roughly 5:00 to 9:55, on 7 different toons looking for a weapon and here is roughly what happened:

-attempt 1: spend a loooong time being sneaky, using empty tin cans etc. got to the medical/military camp near the west coast airfield. no weapons which i thought was odd, then was killed by some player with a 1866

-attempt 2: again spent a loooong time being sneaky. Found nothing but tin cans a LOT of chemlights, road flares, and ammo. Lots of ammo. no weapons.

-attemp 3: decided just to run into a town and just spot the drops. chemlights, road flares, tin cans, and ammo everywhere.

-attemp 4: spawned with broken legs halfway under a building. was able to climb my way out using 'v' and went with it for about 20 minutes. found a crowbar, but other than that, nothing but chemlights, tin cans and road flares.

-attempt 5: again just running through komarovo, chemlights, roadflares, tin cans, ammo.

-attempt 6: again running through towns, i found a hatchet and just ran into the zombies swinging for revenge. didn't work too well.

-attempt 7: spent an hour running around cherno and the factory/warehouse outside cherno. Chemlights, roadflares, chemlights, ammo, bandages, chemlights, roadflares, painkillers, chemlights, tin cans, road flares, tin cans chemlights. I eventually found an enfield after about 40-50 minutes. but guess what the only set of ammo i hadn't found yet was? enfield ammo. Spend another 10-15 minutes looking for that before i just decided to call it quits.

Anyone else having a hard time finding weapons and noticing a lot of chemlights? I have seen more chemlights today then all of my past experience in dayz put together. I remember finding spare makarovs everywhere in 1.7.1.2 through 1.7.1.4. I noticed there is a new beta version for arma 2 out that a lot of servers are switching to, could that cause something like this?

tl;dr:

I'm finding motherloads of chemlights (i could easily fill my entire inventory with chemlights in 10 or 15 minutes), lots of pain killers (wandering around cherno i think i found 8 or so in 10 minutes), lots of tin cans and the usual everything else, but no weapons. a rare hatchet and crowbar and the one enfield but that is it.

edit: something i also noticed, red chemlights are showing up with the blue chemlight model. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

MY THOUGHTS on 1.7.1.5

-finding a few more guns than before, but not nearly enough.

-zombie aggro is still too ridiculous, they see you even when CRAWLING. not fun.

-while I don't mind spawning weaponless, the flashlight needs to light up the scene a little more and we need morphine (or two)

- player killing is out of control. I blame this on two things: the elimination of side chat and spawning weaponless.

Here's why:

weaponless players can't be trusted becasue if the get a weapon they will kill you for yours, so people just kill them. before when EVERYONE had a gun, if you met somebody and nobody killed each other, a partnership was formed. now that balance is broken and the result is chaos.

the side chat issue is also to blame because nobody can communicate across a map. players want to interact with each other, whether it be negative or positive. so if i'm on a roof and i see a guy running, on side chat i would say, "guy running in field, are you frinedly?" [NOTE- the direct com range is too short to communicate with anyone farther than like 20 meters so dont tell me that you could just call out to them] and if the guy responded maybe we'd team up. if he didn't he'd get shot. now with no side chat, he just gets shot because if you let him get close and he doesn't turn out to be cool you're dead anyway.

i really enjoyed what dayz was before the recent changes, and it's sad to see that sense of teamwork and social experimentation slipping away. I thought this game was revolutionary at one time, but since these changes, i have had to retract my reccomendation to several of my friends.

before the balance between those who want teamwork and those who like banditry wasn't too bad, but now it's more like like a free for all deathmatch.

also: A NOTE ON NOOBS- This game is getting increasingly unfriendly to noobs, which is troubling to me because noobs are what make any game what it is. If rocket is sincerely talking about a social experiment that this game could be, it is the noobs who will make this a reality. they are the ones who come in here doe eyed expecting to be immersed in the zombie reality. they are the ones yelling "anyone in cherno" at first but then growing wiser as they meet other players and hone their skill and finally head northward. if you reject the noobs, or make a game where it's a turkey shoot on anyone inexperienced and disoriented, then it loses its purity. it becoemes like COD where the proz know the maps and exploit them for playerkilling until it isn't fun anymore.

i really love this game, and i think it has the potential to be looked back upon as something that changed the face of video games. it could also make itself so serious and pretentious that it fades back into obscurity only to be known to a few.

Feedback: No guns at start has made a new fresh character far to defenseless for the world. The player needs to have some means of defending himself from other players and from zombies. Macaroni pistol was the perfect gun for zombie/player defense.

Feedback: Food spawns too low. I went all over cherno hitting apt buildings, grocery store, church, and the fire stations. Took me over half an hour to find one can of beans. This is to harsh when the only other way of getting food is to find matches and knife, both equally low spawns.

Is it just me or can we not pick up any other packs anymore? I found an Alice pack and a Czech backpack and did not ever see the option to pick them up.

after playing a few more rounds,i it has become my personal opinion that there is more player killing goin on then before.sure there is less at first because u have no weapon,but those with a weapon seem to be very trigger happy,many people seem to blame sidechat goin and i could see how this is the case.tho i think there is a bigger problem,ive been killed several times when i didnt even have a weapon yet,i think with food and drink bein rare finds other players will not leave u alone when u are looting and go look in another building,they need what u might loot aswell(cause if u take of with the food they r screwed).i have not found food since .4 and i have done several lives.in those several lives ive also only found 1coke can.

making loot alot more scarse means everyone who now finds a weapon kills anyone they come across because they need the food and drink

This is gonna sound silly but I havn't played for a few days. What version are we on?

With so many hotfixes I'm not sure anymore

Is it just me or can we not pick up any other packs anymore? I found an Alice pack and a Czech backpack and did not ever see the option to pick them up.

It's not just you I have been having this in 1.7.1.5 as well, I have tried to report it TWICE in the bug forum but for whatever reason the moderators there won't allow the thread.

The only way I can currently get an ALICE pack is to pick it of a dead survivors body.

I found a Czech pack last night and was able to loot it. but it does feel like spawn rates on things like weapons and packs have fallen, but that might have just been the server I was on. Left it for anothet server with latest beta and found a revolver in about an hour. Im finding metric tons of chemlights and road flares though.

I have also found tons of coke/Pepsi (and a mountain dew). Curently sitting on 5 Coke and 4 Pepsi.

with the new update, there have been several evolutions of the game, namely harder (read: laughably ridiculous) zombies and ALOT more player killing. In this thread I will attempt to address these issues and what they mean for the future of this game.

MY THOUGHTS on 1.7.1.5:

ZOMBIES:

-zombie aggro is still too ridiculous, they see you even when CRAWLING. not fun.

-zombie LOS? LOL.

-zombies spawn ON TOP of you. (still not better from 1.7.1.4)

I must say, losing the zombies is a great addition, but because of their "spidey senses" there's little point to sneaking, even after 1714. Increasingly i am seeing people sprinting around the map recklessly looking for loot. This has also increased server hopping because since sneaking is exponentially harder; the best way to get somewhere is to sprint there and run into a bldg and log out and back in. Of course this was around before, but now i see it happening A LOT. Now there isn't any point in shooting your way out of a bldg that zeds are invading because millions of them spawn in right there and go after you. you WILL NOT SURVIVE THIS [inb4 HURR DURR BE MORE L337 U NOOB WHY U HAVE DUM TACTIC]

GUNS:

-finding a few more guns than 1.7.1.4, but not nearly enough.

-while I don't mind spawning weaponless, the flashlight needs to light up the scene a little more and we need morphine (or two)

-lack of guns and loot encourages server hopping. go on /v/ and see the main advice for noobs- "go in a cafe. server hop til gun."

- player killing is out of control. I blame this on two things: the elimination of side chat and spawning weaponless.

The player killing is my main issue with the game right now. Many have described as a "slow moving COD"

Here's why I believe the player killing went apeshit:

-weaponless players can't be trusted becasue if the get a weapon they will kill you for yours, so people just kill them. in 1.7 when EVERYONE had a gun, if you met somebody and nobody killed each other, a partnership was formed. now that balance is broken and the result is chaos.

-players with gear who come to cherno to shoot freshstarters now have open season. even if u have the advantage on some asshole like that, u can't sneak up and makaroni him. u gotta spend 40 mins finding a gun while the asshole gets 10 more player kills.

SIDE CHAT:

-the side chat issue is also to blame because nobody can communicate across a map. players want to interact with each other, whether it be negative or positive. so if i'm on a roof and i see a guy running, on side chat i would say, "guy running in field, are you frinedly?" [NOTE- the direct com range is too short to communicate with anyone farther than like 20 meters so dont tell me that you could just call out to them] and if the guy responded maybe we'd team up. if he didn't he'd get shot. now with no side chat, he just gets shot because if you let him get close and he doesn't turn out to be cool you're dead anyway.

NOTE- people have criticized this point by saying that if u call out to people on direct com that they'll be friendly. since it only works to like 10 m, it does nothing for those of us who are holed up somewhere trying to shout advice to a runner down below. We used to be able to shout out on the side channel: "hey man! we're up here run to your left!" now he can't hear us so... we might as well shoot him.

i really enjoyed what dayz was before the recent changes, and it's sad to see that sense of teamwork and social experimentation slipping away. I thought this game was revolutionary at one time, but since these changes, i have had to retract my reccomendation to several of my friends.

before 1.7.1.x, the balance between those who want teamwork and those who like banditry wasn't too bad, but now it's more like like a free for all deathmatch.

also: A NOTE ON NOOBS- This game is getting increasingly unfriendly to noobs, which is troubling to me because noobs are what make any game what it is. If ROCKET is sincerely talking about a social experiment that this game could be, it is the noobs who will make this a reality. they are the ones who come in here doe eyed expecting to be immersed in the zombie reality. they are the ones yelling "anyone in cherno" at first, but then growing wiser as they meet other players and hone their skill and finally head northward. if you reject the noobs, or make a game where it's a turkey shoot on anyone inexperienced and disoriented, then it loses its purity. it becoemes like COD where the "l337 proz" memorize the maps and exploit them for playerkilling until it isn't fun anymore.

i really love this game, and i think it has the potential to be looked back upon in the future as something that changed the face of video games. with the wrong step, it could also make itself so serious and PRETENTIOUS that it fades back into obscurity only to be known to a few super cereal gamerz.

Has the drop rate for morphine changed? And has the chance of a zombie breaking your leg changed?

It seems with this latest patch that zombies break my leg almost every time they hit me. Most of the time they are still 5-10 yards away and i will see no attack animation. I just find it odd that they can break my leg, but most of the time I'm not even bleeding (this makes me think it might be bugged). My last 3 characters have all died to leg breaking from the first zombie strike, and I have yet to find a morphine drop in 10-12 hours of gameplay ( even checked the hospital in elektro ). Is this intended? or are the odds perhaps out of whack now?

Also, I think it would be nice if we could have a melee weapon slot that we could mousewheel and switch to. If we are carrying the hatchet on our toolbelt already, I think we should be able to switch to it without having to drop our primary weapon. It gets ridiculous sometimes when I find a crossbow/rifle, but I don't have bolts/ammo yet. Assuming I don't have a bigger pack yet, I either have to carry the main weapon and have no way to defend myself, or drop it and have the hatchet out.

Thanks! and loving the new features!

also, what about barb wire trolls? ppl lay them across firestation and other bldg doors so they're unenterable unless u server hop in.

what's with that? any changes on the horizon?

Just step over it. That's what I've been doing.

yeah, i think something is up with the weapon spawns in 1.7.1.5

in the last 7-8 hours over 2-3 days I've found next to nothing. I got to the international airfield (the big military one) and other than the m4a1 I found in the first barracks i've got nothing. Been wandering around for a few hours now, 3 different servers (on one some dude was running the wrong beta patch and was invisible and couldn't see anyone. . . dude jacked my motor-bike and layed barbed wire everywhere. ..). I've yet to find a makarov also, lots of ammo but no mak.

Ridiculous numbers of chemlights and smoke grenades. chemlights are always blue.

i'm running 1.7.1.5 and playing on servers running 93965.

I've spent a good 5 hours at the airfield and this is what i've noticed:

-not a single sidearm spawn. no 1911, no m9, no glock, no makaraov(dont think it spawns at the airfield though), no PDW; all of which (aside from the mak) i've seen regularly prior to 1.7.1.5.

-no 1911 ammo is spawning there either. I'm finding a few .45 acp revolver ammo every now and then and converting them.

-every building has 2-4 chemlights and 2-4 smoke grenades. The smoke grenades have really helped in searching around though.

-noticing fewer m4 ammo laying around (STANAG)

-lot of shotgun shells, double barrel rounds, and the 8 rounds for the military shotty.

I've found 1 m4a1. That's it >.>

I'm not sure what is going on since some ppl are claiming more weapon spawns (i spend a good couple hours before deciding to head to the airfield and didn't even find a makarov). What version+beta are you guys running?

again i'm running 1.7.1.5 beta 93965 through steam launching Arma II: combined operations.

I started playing at 1.7.0, and I had a blast. You could legitimately sneak buy zombies and get pretty close to them. For example you could couch walk right behind them and pop them in the head. They would hear you if you ran right up behind them, but not walking. You could sneak in cherno pretty quickly and use moderate awareness around you to not attract attention.

I then updated to 1.7.1.5, and imho the zed awarness and senses have become worse to a point of just unfair and annoying, to a point where its unplayable in the beginning.

You can not sneak by any zombies without one of them hearing you from a significant distance away. I can't even go into simple buildings anymore without them detecting me, let alone major cities. This most likely has to do with hearing becuase I make sure im not in any zeds line of site, and crouch run by them at significant distances away. Then for some reason some random zombie through bushes or past houses that far away hears me, turns, and aggros. It sucks that I could legitamatly and carefully sneak into towns and cities without being detected, but when you do the same in 1.7.1.5, it doesnt work.

In combination with this, and the fact that you have no way to defend yourself at all, I find it unplayable compared to 1.7.0. I have heard split responses to the people I asked in-game. Half agreed and half said to deal with it. I tried dealing with it multiple times but it just feels unfair.

I mean what the heck are you supposed to do if the most basic loot is in buildings with zombies in them, and you can not defend yourself? It is already impossible to get into a single building without aggroing some random zombie plus you now start with nothing....

Just my take on the recent update.

I started playing at 1.7.0, and I had a blast. You could legitimately sneak buy zombies and get pretty close to them. For example you could couch walk right behind them and pop them in the head. They would hear you if you ran right up behind them, but not walking. You could sneak in cherno pretty quickly and use moderate awareness around you to not attract attention.

I then updated to 1.7.1.5, and imho the zed awarness and senses have become worse to a point of just unfair and annoying, to a point where its unplayable in the beginning.

You can not sneak by any zombies without one of them hearing you from a significant distance away. I can't even go into simple buildings anymore without them detecting me, let alone major cities. This most likely has to do with hearing becuase I make sure im not in any zeds line of site, and crouch run by them at significant distances away. Then for some reason some random zombie through bushes or past houses that far away hears me, turns, and aggros. It sucks that I could legitamatly and carefully sneak into towns and cities without being detected, but when you do the same in 1.7.1.5, it doesnt work.

In combination with this, and the fact that you have no way to defend yourself at all, I find it unplayable compared to 1.7.0. I have heard split responses to the people I asked in-game. Half agreed and half said to deal with it. I tried dealing with it multiple times but it just feels unfair.

I mean what the heck are you supposed to do if the most basic loot is in buildings with zombies in them, and you can not defend yourself? It is already impossible to get into a single building without aggroing some random zombie plus you now start with nothing....

Just my take on the recent update.

Just wanted to add my views as a role playing player (than a meta-gamer say)

I like the changes to direct chat - makes it more exciting and believable.

I like the aggression of the zombies - its freaky and fatalistic.

I also love that we don't spawn with weapons (I managed to find some eventually) and its definately got a lot of suspense skulking about.

Ive also found players with guns NOT killing me right away when unarmed. Especially if i introduce myself, and try to be useful.

So i think your going in the right direction Rocket, its almost like this game is more a kind of weird social experiment your doing haha - its fun and exciting - but its also dark and expressive. Catering to that instead of what some consider 'ridiculous' or more 'fun' creates i think a more enjoyable experience at least for players like me - who like the pain haha

The update would be fine if there wasn't actual code that made zombies linger towards you even without aggro. Zombies also have sonars, apparently, because they can magically find you even when your visibility is at 1 or 2. It would also be fine, if you know, it didn't require me to get lucky on a dice roll for finding a gun. It doesn't make the game hard or difficult. It makes it tedious. I'm going to eventually find a gun and when I do I'm going to kill everyone who's not in my group for resources and for safety.

It's completely tedious to play the game even in a way that could ever be remotely interpreted as how you're supposed to play it. The best option is literally just to keep running and screw any notion of stealth and hope you find a gun. All the update did was add some dick middle man who tells you that you need to spend 2 hours crawling around for a gun and completely vulnerable and unable to ever defend against any threat in any sort of way.

The update would be fine if there wasn't actual code that made zombies linger towards you even without aggro. Zombies also have sonars' date=' apparently, because they can magically find you even when your visibility is at 1 or 2. It would also be fine, if you know, it didn't require me to get lucky on a dice roll for finding a gun. It doesn't make the game hard or difficult. It makes it tedious. I'm going to eventually find a gun and when I do I'm going to kill everyone who's not in my group for resources and for safety.

It's completely tedious to play the game even in a way that could ever be remotely interpreted as how you're supposed to play it. The best option is literally just to keep running and screw any notion of stealth and hope you find a gun. All the update did was add some dick middle man who tells you that you need to spend 2 hours crawling around for a gun and completely vulnerable and unable to ever defend against any threat in any sort of way.

[/quote']

Really?.....really? Good luck staying alive long enough to kill anyone. If you think zombie radar is bad now? Just wait until you start popping off rounds at everyone you see....who is not in your group.

If i had to sneak into every building to find a weapon it would take me like 8 hours.

I just run through towns, poking into buildings, looking for water/food/weapons and then ditch the zombies either through another building or through the woods.

at this point i've stopped bothering looking for weapons. the zombies are avoidable (as long as you dont try to pick their pockets they completely ignore you), so spending 1-3 hours looking for a gun is not worth the effort. I filled my pack with coke/pepsi, got a hatchet and matches and went into the woods. cleaved some animals for food and was pretty much "surviving." Then I realized this was stupid and logged off.

as fun as it is to kill off a few zombies, it is not worth the time spent looking for the weapon. Simply "surviving" is so easy and boring. . . You are pretty much garenteed to die (which isn't a bad thing in a game like DayZ), and when it takes this much time (not difficulty, it isn't hard, just ridiculously time consuming) to find a weapon/better weapon, it simply isn't worth it imo.

tl;dr:

weapon spawn rates are crap. special snowflakes will defend it because they think difficult/hardcore is the same as pointlessly-time-consuming making them uber leet and everyone else is either bad or "casual"