Sign in to follow this  
jaxoren

Tips for a new DayZ Player?

Eh hem... Keep your eyes open, and your ass covered. Keep moving when the poo flies, You're less likely to wear it that way.

And if you're playing with a friend.. use teamspeak or something else to talk with each other. not the side channel.

Do not get attached to your gear.

Print out a good map so you can reference the location displayed in the bottom right corner of your screen when you first spawn or when you log in.

Clouds always drift west to east. If you're lost, this will at least give you a general heading.

Check barns, sheds, and warehouses for a hatchet. Once you find one, open up your inventory and right click on your hatchet. Select "remove from toolbelt". Now you can defend yourself from zombies (don't forget to reload ;) ) and any player that gets within range. Some players will not shoot at characters that are only carrying a hatchett.

Zombies drop most of the basic loot you need to survive. Food, drinks, bandages, and ammo can be found on zombies. Kill them with your hatchet if you can. Shooting attracts zombies and players.

Pay attention to your stance. The prone and crouch positions lower your visibility to zombies . Moving slowly and choosing what surfaces you u step on reduces the noise you make.

Rebind your sprint key to something you feel comfortable with.

Always carry at least 3 bandages.

Morphine will fix your fractured/broken leg and allow your character to walk. Always try to have two.

Rifles take up 10 backpack slots, handguns 6. Do not put any weapon into your pack unless you have the right amount of space for both the weapon and ammo.

If you have raw meat but you don't have any matches, you can cook your raw meat over the fire barrels found in major towns.

Tap control left twice to lower your weapon. This is very useful when meeting experienced players. Only do this if you obviously do not have the upper hand in a potential pvp situation and the other players haven't opened fire yet. Experienced players will consider you less of a threat if you do this and your chances of being shot decrease dramatically. You can raise your weapon again by double tapping left control or by clicking your left mouse button.

Always keep your distance from even the "friendliest" players.

When leaving a friendly encounter, always choose a different direction from the one they're travelling in. You stand a good chance of being shot if you appear to be following them.

You're going to die a lot.

Find a good whitelisted server.

• Like 2

Look around. Where would you sit if you were looking to snipe? Act as if there was someone there looking for you at all times. What route could you take to avoid being seen from there?

Take only the shit you need in a town. Raid supermarket, firestation and hospital. Check the bus stations (maybe you'll be lucky) and run away. You should have food, medicine, primary (at least) and a backpack. Then go north.

If you find a Bizon in a hospital, you know you're fucked. That's basically the same thing as finding a car in the middle of an Airfield.

Try not to shoot or aggro any zombies and move quick when you can. Never run or even crouch run on roads, because the zombie hearing is complete bullshit at the moment. Crawl across roads and you'll be fine. Sometimes you can crouch-walk across roads if you don't feel safe (If you feel like someone might see you crawl), just make sure there's no zombies around.

Stay close to buildings and move very carefully, looking around with alt. Grass is the only spot that is fine at the moment, so crouch-running there should be fine, just make sure there's no zombies around in 20 meters around you.

And if you ask why you should be so careful about aggroing zombies, well: If there's any other players around, they know you are close. If they hear you shoot, they know exactly where you are.

Edited by Sutinen

And one more. To the north from Guglovo (at the road) there is a small industrial shed. A motorcycle is sometimes found there. Dont forget to get a jerry! ;)

Thanks for all the help guys, killed one bandit but got ambushed by another, had some fun times and now found a white-listed server to play on.

Go for a supermarket as soon as you spawn and grab a bigger pack. Then, get the f- out of there because there will probably be someone in the same city as you if it is on the coast.

Go for deerstands, stay crouched or prone in cities and towns and head to Stary Sobor to loot the military tents :D

That is what i do when i respawn fresh

Well, managed to stay in Cherno for a bit without encountering anyone, but nearly did when I heard shots right outside my building, found a M16 but then my DayZ crashed and it did not save, so I raided the hospital near the military tents and got med supplies. Went into a small building right next to a gate and found a ALICE pack. Eventually got M1014, Lee Enfield(I'm not stupid enough to fire it in the city), A Makarov, then other stuff such as food and tools. Now continuing my search for a box of matches so that I can go inland and live off the land.

Edited by JackTB123

Keep scanning all around you, frequently zooming in and out. Gunfights are usually won by the person who spots the other first. Many a time I've turned around to find some bandit or ghillie suit stalking me just it time to shoot them in the face.

A big problem for noobspawns is that they don't have any optics like binocs, rangefinders, or scoped weapons. A shooter 300m out looks like a dot. But they can still kill you before you can aquire them.

When it doubt, sprint through cover. Everyone runs at the same speed and you can't shoot while running. If someone stops to shoot at you, they eventually fall behind.

But keep in mind that you can't outrun bullets!

What I usually do after I die is get to cherno, Electro or Bolata right away. Yes they are always filled with people, but usually I can get in quickly to get a gun, some food and some drinks (along with a quick stop at a hospital as I roleplay as a medic). Then once i get out of town I head up north and get away from the chaos.

As the first reply said though, get in and out ASAP. Don't stick around or take you're time. Know what you are going in there for and get in and out as fast as possible.

Also learning the map is important, learn it like the back of you're hand or the city you live in. And lastly, don't trust most people!

Edited by kozzy

If you spawn in Kamenka, don't instantly respawn.

Derenzhino and Zeleno have really good loot in both cities, and a few car spawns.