Sign in to follow this  
Tumoa

Trangia

have you ever wondered how the hell characters cook a meat? well i know how to make this thing more realistic. game should have this:

220px-Trangia_27-4_pakattuna.jpg

now you asking what is that well it is trangia it was invented by some swedish guy don't remember. there should be 4 models mini trangia it is small and can only use third or fourth of the food like beans and pasta, tundra-3 it is larger than mini but there are still better ones, 25 1-8 it is littel bigger than tundra-3 but dosen't have non sticky fryingpan or pot and finaly 27 1-8 it is biggest and rarest trangia of the 4 and contains non sticky equipment the parts are: torch every trangia has one (exept tundra) it look like this:

trangia-poltin-b25.jpgand this with out cover trangia_burner_b25-20444742-thml.jpg

they have to fill with ethanol every now and then, two whind shields, frying pan looks like this

2fb8cd2e-7468-4cf3-8208-9e5900fe75aa_720x720.jpg, two boilers looks like this 4420189_max.jpg

and ofcourse the handel and it looks like somthing like this kahva.jpg

ehole set looks like this Trangia_25-1.JPG

here is oder how common each of them is

mini is very common

tundra is prety common

25 1-8 is prety common

27 1-8 is very rare

So its just a camping stove?If you were to add it you would only need 1 model,4 is a bit excessive.Also you would need fuel for it which would be a pain.Personally i think the way we cook it now is fine.

I have no idea what this is about, but I could cook meat on a open fireplace with no fancy survival pots and pans.

it can cook things like beans and pasta caned food taste bad cold trust me

I don't think we need a lot of kitchen equipment - adding sets of poons and forks, you know... is a bit off.

But a portable propane stove would be quite useful - much more compact than firewood, more stealth as there would be no smoke or light from the campfire, faster cooking.

• Like 1

I don't think we need a lot of kitchen equipment - adding sets of poons and forks, you know... is a bit off.

But a portable propane stove would be quite useful - much more compact than firewood, more stealth as there would be no smoke or light from the campfire, faster cooking.

they are almost same thing that would be easier but the thing i sudgested are in the box like this 220px-Trangia_27-4_pakattuna.jpg like i showed in first picture

Whats wrong with a fire? People have been cooking meat with open fires for centuries, maybe even milennia

Well. May be just some plain pot to cook better?

We don't need to focus that much into cooking. Just a random mix and match soup filled with meat, beans, some sort of these edible nuts and berries, plus! seasoned with salt!, this soup is pretty much very fancy for that type of world. (Is that even edible though)

Cooking should make the food more effective (Or at least make unedible things edible), though you will need container to carry it. And by having a pot, you can 'eat warm meal' at a fire place, gaining faster warmth than just sitting next to the fire and refiling more hunger (?).

I would like a pot in my camp, though 'a pot' is just 'a pot'.

A camping stove would be a great idea! A camping stove and white gas canisters or butane! More recipies for cooking would be neat aswell, like finding rice or maybe being able to cook your beans for some small benefit (someone suggested that in a forum topic a little bit ago).

A camping stove would be a great idea! A camping stove and white gas canisters or butane! More recipies for cooking would be neat aswell, like finding rice or maybe being able to cook your beans for some small benefit (someone suggested that in a forum topic a little bit ago).

yes why don't we make spaghetti and many other food that would take hours to prepare in the game!
  • Like 1

Well, the only reason a person uses one of those is for convenience. As everyone knows IRL building a fire takes time and quite a bit of knowhow in bad conditions for it. Personally, I would like to see firemaking take a while to do in game before meat can be cooked properly (lets say about two minutes to heat up and another to cook your meat). If that kind of time constraint is applied a tranger could reduce the cooking time significantly but until then i don't see much use for the item.

Hello there

Fire construction and cooking should take longer IMHO as it's benefits are so high and as a nod to reality.

There is no real risk in making a fire at the moment.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

Fire construction and cooking should take longer IMHO as it's benefits are so high and as a nod to reality.

There is no real risk in making a fire at the moment.

Rgds

LoK

i agree thats what i was thinking

In the future cooking food and boiling water properly will become more important when the new disease mechanic is introduced.

yes why don't we make spaghetti and many other food that would take hours to prepare in the game!

If it takes you hours to prepare spaghetti, you're doing it wrong.

• Like 1

You can flame cook meat in real life by just throwing it on a fire

you can words speak in the internets by just mashing them on a keyboard

Disregard that, we need diversity.

Campfire:

+gives warmth

+cheap fuel

+can cook multiple items simultaneously

-compromises stealth

-takes time to arrange

-longer cooking time

Camping stove:

+compact and stealthy

+faster cooking

+quick deployment

-reuires fuel

-doesn't give warmth

-cooking one item at a time

• Like 1

you can words speak in the internets by just mashing them on a keyboard

Disregard that, we need diversity.

Campfire:

+gives warmth

+cheap fuel

+can cook multiple items simultaneously

-compromises stealth

-takes time to arrange

-longer cooking time

Camping stove:

+compact and stealthy

+faster cooking

+quick deployment

-reuires fuel

-doesn't give warmth

-cooking one item at a time

I wasn't sure that it was worth including one in game at all but that's a very convincing argument. Especially when water is going to need to be boiled to prevent infection. Sold!

While considering this idea I thought it would be interesting to include a daytime compromise in stealth for campfires like a lingering plume of smoke. Not crashed heli style but a distinct grey column that can be seen if you look hard enough for one. What do you think?

Edited by Bribase

The risk of giving away your position should always be a factor IMO.

Smoke, light, sound and (hardly likely in a computer game) smell would all be tell-tale signs.

Even something as simple as a re-write of the body investigation mechanic could be used to see if a fire-pit is still warm, to gauge how long it has been since someone was there, etc.

More on-topic. The gear mentioned in the OP is usable with both a fire and a stove, so isn't exactly a vital addition. More for variety, when development gets to that stage.

it can cook things like beans and pasta caned food taste bad cold trust me
Tins can go straight on to the fire if you want to heat them up. Just remember to open them first.

More important than pots and pans, in that particular situation, you're going to need a spoon.

Edited by Chabowski

Even something as simple as a re-write of the body investigation mechanic could be used to see if a fire-pit is still warm, to gauge how long it has been since someone was there, etc.

Why bother with that? The more intuitive way is if it's still crackling then the embers are hot and players are nearby.

• Like 1

I think that both sytems should work as we have one already - you can judge how much time had passed since they left by the look of the pit, but if you "inspect" it you get more precise and detailed info like how much time did they spend here and when did they leave based on your skill (we'll have skills, so this might be reasonable).