m.w. vindicator

What DayZ has to learn from other games

The flashlight wasn't in arma2, it's a hacked in item that uses a cars headlight. Which is why both the flashlight and cars can blind you, it uses the same light source.

The toolbelt and inventory of dayz is a modded version of the military arma 2 version, so again.. not perfect.

You don't need a currency if you have secure trade, then you can barter items and they will gain a fixed value comparable to other things; 10 beans for 1 morphine injector?

Edited by disorder

Find some NVG or stock up on flares and chemlights, there are already 2 types of flashlights with never ending power sources in this game but I will admit when I heard there was a "military flashlight" I expected more like an anglehead type that you could stick on your vest and let illuminate everything directly infront of you. Also a system where the light doesn't penetrate through walls would be nice.

Edited by SnipersAre4Scumbags

a couple of these things ( in my opinion) are good ideas but everyone will have their issue on certain changes and suggestions from other video games. Out of the other zombie games out there, still dayz seems to be different than the others. plus if you really think about it every game out there has its differences and its flaws. obviously when dayz started it was definitely not as it is now. once the SA comes out it will definitely not be as glitchy as it was in the beginning as well as now. however, there will always be some games out there that will pick some ideas that dayz has and dayz will pick right back. All im saying is that there are certain boundaries that should not be crossed in video games that make that game unique.

if the Resident evil series had some sort of weight indicator (combining the inventory space you can hold your items in), everyone would be pissed about not carrying their infinite rocket launchers with their favorite smg. say Doom 3 had a reflection for when you took out the flashlight, i think literally everything would shine back at you ( this is aiming towards being blinded when you walk into a house that reflects the light back at you, not a good idea/ in RL if light bounces a certain way you cant partially see :P)

literally what im saying is lets not suggest anything that we may regret latter on. make believe its the three wishes from a genie that is a con artist. wish the genie away and to never use the last 2 wishes for anything

The flashlight wasn't in arma2, it's a hacked in item that uses a cars headlight. Which is why both the flashlight and cars can blind you, it uses the same light source.

The toolbelt and inventory of dayz is a modded version of the military arma 2 version, so again.. not perfect.

You don't need a currency if you have secure trade, then you can barter items and they will gain a fixed value comparable to other things; 10 beans for 1 morphine injector?

You are correct. That is why there the flashlight needs improvement. Same goes for the inventory system. Currency would be nice because then you could trade and buy things even if a barter can't be set up. The problems with bartering are ages old and currency could fix that problem.

Find some NVG or stock up on flares and chemlights, there are already 2 types of flashlights with never ending power sources in this game but I will admit when I heard there was a "military flashlight" I expected more like an angelhead type that you could stick on your vest and let illuminate everything directly infront of you. Also a system where the light doesn't penetrate through walls would be nice.

All problems with the current system. While flares and chemlights are better than a flashlight they leave much to be desired. I haven't found NVGs ever since I transferred to private hives...

a couple of these things ( in my opinion) are good ideas but everyone will have their issue on certain changes and suggestions from other video games. Out of the other zombie games out there, still dayz seems to be different than the others. plus if you really think about it every game out there has its differences and its flaws. obviously when dayz started it was definitely not as it is now. once the SA comes out it will definitely not be as glitchy as it was in the beginning as well as now. however, there will always be some games out there that will pick some ideas that dayz has and dayz will pick right back. All im saying is that there are certain boundaries that should not be crossed in video games that make that game unique.

if the Resident evil series had some sort of weight indicator (combining the inventory space you can hold your items in), everyone would be pissed about not carrying their infinite rocket launchers with their favorite smg. say Doom 3 had a reflection for when you took out the flashlight, i think literally everything would shine back at you ( this is aiming towards being blinded when you walk into a house that reflects the light back at you, not a good idea/ in RL if light bounces a certain way you cant partially see :P)

literally what im saying is lets not suggest anything that we may regret latter on. make believe its the three wishes from a genie that is a con artist. wish the genie away and to never use the last 2 wishes for anything

I don't see how the genie metaphor has to do with anything :emptycan: . But as for the rest of your post:

I don't really think flashlights would reflect back enough to blind some one. I don't know why anyone would put that in any game. I just want lighting that is controllable and doesn't penetrate walls like SABOTs from an Abrams.

I agree about the line that can't be crossed for borrowing ideas.

The only thing I can see taken from Metro is cans hanging on the ropes (alarm). No more is needed, seriously.

The can idea is pretty unanimous and no one game can claim it. I am not suggestion DayZ copy things straight from the other game. These are things that would benefit the game. Flashlights that work would benefit DayZ and you can't say that it is copying.

Unless you actually don't want working lights ??? :huh:

People need to understand that for decades games are based off another. Movies, books and every other form of entertainment did this and they succeeded. I love metro and stalker. Implementing SOME ideas would be gr8 because it would make this game much better. If we implemented the exact same story, weapons and location etc then this would be Metro Z. Trust me guys with every bit of ideas from post-apocalyptic games will make dayz mainstream and more fun

• Like 3

guys posibly if you dont change your gas mask it will increase the chance of being infected because of the bactiria and grit in the mask

btw i scrolled to the bottom so if anyone said this already dont rage

guys posibly if you dont change your gas mask it will increase the chance of being infected because of the bactiria and grit in the mask

btw i scrolled to the bottom so if anyone said this already dont rage

If you don't change the filters on a gas mask it will start to loose it's effectiveness. After a while it will be used and become useless dead weight.

You are correct. That is why there the flashlight needs improvement. Same goes for the inventory system. Currency would be nice because then you could trade and buy things even if a barter can't be set up. The problems with bartering are ages old and currency could fix that problem.

Well a currency is anything which people have 'belief of value' in that can be exchanged for goods and services. You can use anything as a currency as long as people believe in it. Some people think gold is valuable for instance.. I don't. But bottlecaps or ammo will work too (like metro 2033 which uses ammo as special currency)

But imagine everyones shock when they come to realise paper money isn't worth anything, its just a receipt! *evil laugh*

Edited by disorder
  • Like 1

Ok, the reason light in ArmA 2 is so clunky is because light is not a priority aspect of the game engine. This is about to change (do a degree) in ArmA 3 and seeing as how Rocket is a BIS employee and have worked on A3 i am sure a lot of the aspects of A3 is going to make it over into the standalone version of DayZ.

ArmA 2's lighting system is a relic from the DX 7 to 9 days where dynamic lights where in it's infancy and pretty much all games had precomputed lightmaps (shadows from buildings etc) and didn't allow for day/night cycles. This is also why ArmA 2 can't deal with headlights not shining through walls, it just wasn't designed with that in mind in a time where such a feature (dynamic lighting and shadows) was a premium available at the very top of the line titles such as Crysis. (with their appropriate fundings)

That said, ArmA 2 (and inherently DayZ) has one of the best, if not THE best, immersion to realism ratios of all games i have seen. Light actually affects you and if you lack the proper tools you are pretty much lost in the dark. It gets to a point where you have to up your brightness and gamma to be able to move about semi normally during night without proper light sources. This is a good thing (not the brightness/gamma thing, i am ashamed of resorting to it myself) as it completely changes the dynamics of the game at night time.

Most other titles have too much ambient light everywhere to allow the player to see without a light source to some degree so in that sense, what we have now is much better than other AAA titles.

Finally i just want to point out that running with a flashlight in DayZ is what it should be. Try doing the same in real life at the speed the character runs in game and you too will have problems seeing anything.

And the same goes for walking with the flashlight in hand, you are not going to be 100% steady (like in other games) when moving about. The only reason it looks/feels so clunky is because of the limitations in the lighting engine. That i am sure will go away in ArmA 3 where we have softer transitions in the cone of light making the "jerkyness" of flashlights seem more naturally flowing.

Well a currency is anything which people have 'belief of value' in that can be exchanged for goods and services. You can use anything as a currency as long as people believe in it. Some people think gold is valuable for instance.. I don't. But bottlecaps or ammo will work too (like metro 2033 which uses ammo as special currency)

But imagine everyones shock when they come to realise paper money isn't worth anything, its just a receipt! *evil laugh*

I am glad you understand :)

Ok, the reason light in ArmA 2 is so clunky is because light is not a priority aspect of the game engine. This is about to change (do a degree) in ArmA 3 and seeing as how Rocket is a BIS employee and have worked on A3 i am sure a lot of the aspects of A3 is going to make it over into the standalone version of DayZ.

ArmA 2's lighting system is a relic from the DX 7 to 9 days where dynamic lights where in it's infancy and pretty much all games had precomputed lightmaps (shadows from buildings etc) and didn't allow for day/night cycles. This is also why ArmA 2 can't deal with headlights not shining through walls, it just wasn't designed with that in mind in a time where such a feature (dynamic lighting and shadows) was a premium available at the very top of the line titles such as Crysis. (with their appropriate fundings)

That said, ArmA 2 (and inherently DayZ) has one of the best, if not THE best, immersion to realism ratios of all games i have seen. Light actually affects you and if you lack the proper tools you are pretty much lost in the dark. It gets to a point where you have to up your brightness and gamma to be able to move about semi normally during night without proper light sources. This is a good thing (not the brightness/gamma thing, i am ashamed of resorting to it myself) as it completely changes the dynamics of the game at night time.

Most other titles have too much ambient light everywhere to allow the player to see without a light source to some degree so in that sense, what we have now is much better than other AAA titles.

Finally i just want to point out that running with a flashlight in DayZ is what it should be. Try doing the same in real life at the speed the character runs in game and you too will have problems seeing anything.

And the same goes for walking with the flashlight in hand, you are not going to be 100% steady (like in other games) when moving about. The only reason it looks/feels so clunky is because of the limitations in the lighting engine. That i am sure will go away in ArmA 3 where we have softer transitions in the cone of light making the "jerkyness" of flashlights seem more naturally flowing.

I agree and you make some good points. I realize that the Arma 2 engine didn't put too much effort into dynamic lightning and it is very understandable. Flashlights and such aren't as important when you are making a mil sim.

I simply want the devs to create a solid lighting system because lighting is more important in DayZ. I hate all the gamma/brightness meta gaming stuff.

Find some NVG or stock up on flares and chemlights, there are already 2 types of flashlights with never ending power sources in this game but I will admit when I heard there was a "military flashlight" I expected more like an anglehead type that you could stick on your vest and let illuminate everything directly infront of you. Also a system where the light doesn't penetrate through walls would be nice.

NVGs are too rare. Flares too bright and dangerous. Chemlight are ok for small tasks, like looting indoor but not much else. Decent flashlights are a must for the stand alone IMHO. Headlights would be best, but being able to attach a light to any weapon with duct tape should be the bare minimum.

i would really like to cut zombies head, arms and legs. Rocked in his latest post said that they are rebuilding the whole engine, so i thimk it is possible insert it into sa