zachgibson22

To Shoot or not to shoot; how do you decide?

Today I think I have just about reach my friendly breaking point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Story...Just so you know where I'm coming from.

It's my first time playing for maybe a coupe months. I was playing the Fallujia map for the first time and found a M4 CQB and an M14 at the airfield. As I was running around I shot a zombie and some said "who shot?", so i replied (over world chat). I said I was friendly and had only shot 1 person(ever in dayz). He told me to lay down on the ground - I still don't know where he is - I lay down but quickly get up and hide thinking it could be a trap. He had a couple friends with him in chat and after some time we finally agreed on a place to meet. I would have liked to join their group. He told me to 'sit', I still didn't feel safe doing that so i just whipped out my pistol as a weaker weapon and laid down. I saw him walk in the other end on the open hanger with a Double Barreled shotgun. I had my gun on him because he wouldn't stop aiming at me. He told me to lay still, but i did keep moving slightly. And just after i stand up i see in the text something along the lines of "JAMES KILLED ZACH WITH A LEE ENFIELD" and just like that, one shot I was was dead.

I'm thinking only people with mics now or no weapons.... Cause you can tell a lot by ones voice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After this event I am just having the hardest time trusting people and I'm ready to just start shooting on sight when I get a decent weapon. As I said I have only shot 1 person and honestly that was on accident because I was getting shot at a minute earlier and he wouldn't reply.

I hate killing other cause I like teaming up much more and I feel the encounter is even more intense cause I feel so much more accomplished in the end.

So how do you judge on whether or not you trust someone enough with your life?

I dunno man, it sounds like you had it coming. Not trying to be a jerk, but this guy basically had you pinned right, so he says SIT. You sit! What good comes from fidgeting? You pull out a shit gun and still aim at him, he shoot you. Would you have been any worse off if you had listened to him and did EXACTLY as he said? No not really. You might have walked away. On the other hand, if the guy wasn't responding on his mic, and started issuing you orders to surrender, you probably shoulda either tried to run or shot him anyways. If he's telling you to sit, or surrender or some shit like that, chances are he's just gonna rob you or kill you.

For me, I basically only kill if the other player has a bandit skin already and is acting suspicious. Like today I ran across a bandit at Cherno firestation. I declared friendly, and he did too, we kinda aimed around each other, but in the end, I gave him a transfusion. He kept dancing around though. I asked him stand by while I looked around (asked politely via mic). He walked out of the station, and I did too a while later. He was peeking around the corner, aiming. But didn't shoot. Then he walked back into the fire station. Now I know a camping douche when I see one. He was decently equipped, he had no reason to go back into the firestation tower again, and he wasn't communicating what he was doing which would have been the good thing to do. So as he walks back in I see he's still kinda aiming at me, not directly but sideways. I ended up dropping him. TBH, probably saved some newbie's life at the end of the day. Only reason he didnt fuck with me was probably because I was better equipped.

You disobeyed his instructions, and thus your death occurred; you were in deservation of such an act.

• Like 3

I'm close to breaking point as well. Being friendly keeps kicking me in my behind, the amount of times that being friendly got me killed are starting to severely outweigh the happy-cuddly-friendly moments.

Yesterday in a span of about 2 hours:

- Got killed by someone after running to him to give him blood (he asked for help in sidechat).

- Told a guy to turn around and run away because I didn't want to harm him, he turned at me and started shooting at me with his G17 (had to kill him, yay from 2500 humanity to -500).

- Met some guys in Novy, one had an axe and the other a makarov, they were being run over by walkers. One of them yelled in voice com that they were friendly and whether I could help them. I shot the zombies, told them to follow me to outside of town so I could give them some blood, the makarov guy shot me in the head.

- Ran into a guy near a barn, he had an Enfield, I had a Winchester. I told him I was friendly and wasn't looking for trouble. He said he didn't want any trouble either and asked me to look away and drop my weapon while he ran off. I did. He shot me in the back.

It's just near impossible to be a friendly player these day (and way too easy to be a bandit).

I think I might just start shooting on sight now. Fuck being a hero, it's not worth it.

Option 2 is to never trust anyone with an Eastern European accent.

Edited by Applejuice
  • Like 2

Above is my exact thought. Just kill on sight, trying to be a hero isn't worth it before StandAlone comes, hopefully that will bring us magic.

• Like 1

Bandit skins I never trust. If I can spot them from a distance, I will watch them pass.

However, if I'm in an urban centre and turn a corner to find a bandit, or survivor, I will literally sprint away and then slowly sweep my way back. I don't like the idea of having to kill someone just because I've seen them.

However, whatever happens, happens. Try to be that shining glimmer of hope in community, and don't always go for the trigger :thumbsup: ;)

I decide by do i have ammo left or not... Just kidding

I never trust Bandit skinned people -> Just let them go if they are unarmed or not dangerous for me

I try to evade surviors and if im close to them i try to talk over the direct channel with my mic, most likely you hear if the people are some douchbags or not.

Anyways its so much fun if you met some random friendly and walk arround with him. So i never would kill anybody (except bandits) that i don´t need to.

Depends if they have a weapon or not.

• Like 1

i will never surrender to anyone, it will be their fatal mistake if they try to make me. I'll go all out on them and if I take at least one down with me it was worth it, for that reason I always try to have a grenade in my inventory just in case it looks like they will get me.

Besides if he wants you to sit you might as well drop your guns and run into zombies.. its a long animation to get up and you're totally defenceless they can shoot you in an instant while you are helpless. Either put your life in their hands or put your life in your hands. You choose. For now I've chosen the latter.

Also I won't shoot anyone who is unarmed or shoot anyone in the back, I am not a coward. I'll only kill people if they appear to be hostile and are armed well enough to kill me in a fight. A guy with a hatchet or makarov is not really a threat. Though I can recall a time when two pretty well armed bandits toying with me in cherno, I only had a hatchet and those bastards called friendly. I could tell by his voice it wasn't true. Sure enough they started shooting but I sprinted up to one of them and laid into him with my hatchet. I heard his legs snap and he died quickly. The next guy chased me around a corner and I badly wounded him before he shot me in the head.

Edited by Chris529

I've only run into one guy who was friendly and oddly enough he had a bandit skin on. Everyone else I've run into or that has seen me has shot on site. Most of the time it has lead to their death either by me or by someone in my group. I've even been shot when I stopped in the woods above cherno to eat. Some guy was camping them and as I started eating he put me down. I'd rather just not shoot but unless they say something to me I put them down if I see them and have the shot. Too many times of being shot when there was no reason for it.

Although I don't shoot unarmed players unless they spook me which has only happened once.

I was running through the quarry avoiding the zombies because they weren't worth the bullets and as I was passing what I took for a crawler I saw a pack and it spooked me so much I put enough into him to break his legs and wound him pretty badly. When I asked if he was friendly I got no response and I finished him off. When my buddy got to him to check the body he ended up being unarmed. I felt horrible after.

EDIT: I was is Celle (if you care) NOT Fallujia.

You all make very valid points. Yes I did disobeyed instructions but there was just that bad vibe. And frankly, I shouldn't have a agreed to anything. Now that I recall, I think a minute earlier i had also heard a gunshot but I had completely forgot about that. If I would have remembered that, none of this would have happened.....

Also he had this planned from the start. After I repawned and played it like i wasnt mad he said Something like (remember this is world chat) "Noob that'll teach you to never trust anyone." Asked me if I wanted my stuff back. I said "you can have it, cause you obviously would rather have my better stuff" I wasn't gonna fall for that shit again.

And Morgan, I was thinking almost the same thing. Since the standalone is coming out soon, I mind as well go for it, on armed people if I feel unsafe at all. :D (not all the time though)

Add me on steam if you'd like! I'm a good leader, even better follower. Also I may still have a good tent but its probably disappeared by now.

zachgibson22

I'm 20, have Skype or steam chat... And even TS3

IGNNORE THIS......I can't delete the extras my PC posted

Edited by zachgibson22

2 is to never trust anyone with an Eastern European accent.

That's rule one, NEVER trust a European if you don't know him. Same goes for Scandinavians under the age of 20.(I'm Scandinavian myself). Americans in other hand tend to be very friendly. Or maybe I'm just lucky with Americans or the fact that I actually like playing with Americans :)

• Like 1

Option 2 is to never trust anyone with an Eastern European accent.

For that, you die! Smurt na kapitalistite! Slava na otechestvoto!

That's rule one, NEVER trust a European if you don't know him. Same goes for Scandinavians under the age of 20.(I'm Scandinavian myself). Americans in other hand tend to be very friendly. Or maybe I'm just lucky with Americans or the fact that I actually like playing with Americans :)

Actually, I've found that most americans tend to shoot at sight for their own gain. Well, that's my experience anyway. I guess it really depends on which european or which american you find.

• Like 2

For that, you die! Smurt na kapitalistite! Slava na otechestvoto!

ZA RODINU!!!

Actually, Russians tend to be okay in my experience. I have an in with them, being a Russian myself, but they'll usually give you the time of day if you're respectable. As in you DONT surrender. Make a counter offer. If someone contacts you and is like DROP IT. Be like okay, dont shoot, I wont drop my gun I will turn around (use 3rd person) or I will leave immediately. If you do that, most players will actually let it go. Surrender is just such a bad decision.

I hate killing other cause I like teaming up much more and I feel the encounter is even more intense cause I feel so much more accomplished in the end.

I feel the exact same way, I just rather have a companion than to restart a new character by myself and only to look forward to meeting another bullet to the face.

I have killed five survivors in my DayZ career, two being bandits, and three being reckless people. If I see someone,(especially in Cherno/Elektro) my first instinct is to place myself into an advantage spot, so if they call for backup or fire away, I kill them right off the bat. Don't Fuck With Decent People.

I don't like killing people, I just know I have to.

With that being said, I try to be as generous as possible while being cautious as possible. I only know when to kill when I get that uncomfortable first impression of someone or when I'm already being fired upon.

In fact, paranoia plays a huge factor in DayZ that gives you that enticing, mind throbbing feeling of meeting another survivor in this 225 km2 monster of a map.

Rough experiences lead to the doubt of trust in the world of DayZ yet, there is that thought of a kindling friendship. Survival hasn't been as realistic, important, right on, and transforming as this mod.

It is just devastating to decide to be the person who you really are in the apocalypse or the person you have to be in order to survive.

I'm friendly and almost never get killed. Maybe you're just shitty at gauging others' intentions...

Edited by fathairybeast

ZA RODINU!!!

Actually, Russians tend to be okay in my experience. I have an in with them, being a Russian myself, but they'll usually give you the time of day if you're respectable. As in you DONT surrender. Make a counter offer. If someone contacts you and is like DROP IT. Be like okay, dont shoot, I wont drop my gun I will turn around (use 3rd person) or I will leave immediately. If you do that, most players will actually let it go. Surrender is just such a bad decision.

Well, actually, I'm Bulgarian. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I have to shoot another player, it will be because I screwed up in not spotting them first and allowed them to get close enough to be a threat.

Saying this, I did the usual stupid thing this morning and turned around with a weapon equipped to see who just said "Hi" in direct chat and quite rightly got shot by the chap who'd snuck up behind me.

If I tell someone to do something and they don't listen, I have my snipers shoot him on spot (or I will depending on how sever the situation is) If I see someone looking at me for a "long time" with there gun aimed at me, I kill them. If they are being shady I have my Snipers kill him. If they fail to respond to simple instructions they are dead.

Other than that, I love to give people guns, ammo, supplies. I mean I am a Hero for a reason and only use my gun when its needed.

Everyone wants to me nice... but at the end of the day most people can't be trusted. I ran into a guy in the forest by polana, all he had was an m1911. Then theres me in a ghillie, with a dmr out, i watch him for a second then continue on my way and all i hear is bang bang bang, and im bleeding and in the red i spin around and put him down and then his buddy comes out of a bush a couple hundred meters away with an ak and starts shooting and i have to put him down aswell. both had hero skins and it didnt feel nice having to kill them but it was necessary after they fired.

I give everyone a chance generally unless they are rocking a bandit skin and a people killing gun, like a machine gun or a high powered rifle.

Would be fun to actually play along side people, but these days if people see someone with better gear they just wanna try and take it.

Guy sees my group with a ural and sneaks up beside us, one of our guys noticed him crawling through the trees and asked him what he was doing, he said he had never seen a vehicle before and just wanted to see. there were five of us and one of him so we kept working with one of us watching him. he acted like he was just checking it out then he threw a grenade at our guy hopped in the ural and started driving off. ofcourse one of us was at the angle to light up the front of the truck and he died, but it was a worthless death as he if he wanted to play with us we woulda let him.

its sad that you have to look out for every single human that plays this game as the majority wont think twice about shooting first

Well fathairybeast, for one I don't coware in the trees if I see someone. And it's hard to gauge ones intentions through text only, not even knowing how they are armed. For the example I gave yes, it was a bad I idea.

Well fathairybeast, for one I don't coware in the trees if I see someone. And it's hard to gauge ones intentions through text only, not even knowing how they are armed. For the example I gave yes, it was a bad I idea.

Mine is simple, if i have good gear, gear that i want to keep, and you could benefit from that gear, I'm not taking any chances.

Mostly I will go with my gut instinct, I get a bad feeling, I'm gonna try and kill you before you kill me.