Tooka (DayZ)

Day Z Standalone:preventing farming and ghosting

Farming is one of Day Zs biggest problems along with Hacking, excessive banditry and ghosting. The most used method of farming is going to some place like the airfield searching it then switching servers and doing it over again.

Here are my ideas to fix this:

1. Make characters bound to servers. When you create a new character you would be allowed to choose any server..but it would be permanent for that character. I imagine most people will hate this idea because of the negatives that come with it..But it would work!! If you have a friend that you want to play with on another server, you would have to create a new character which isn't that bad. If your server is full, you are basically screwed, But theres always the possibility of overflow servers like Guild Wars 2 has. Besides, The standalone has already been optimized for performance, so it probably has a higher server capacity than the mod. This depends on how many players the map was designed for though. I like this idea because it would terminate this form of farming for sure. It would also eliminate those noobs that leave the server to get behind a player, rejoin, and shoot them in the back(Ghosting as they call it).When construction is added, people won't be able to ghost into a base either. It kills three birds with one stone.

2. My second idea is to put a lockout timer on Server transfers. It should be at least a day so people can't abuse it. It would take effect right after you transfer. This of course means the die hard farmers can still cheese farm once a day, which is why I don't like it as much. But, it would get rid of ghosters partially and still allow you to transfer if you'd like. I say partially because theres still the possibility of someone server hopping and loading in right behind a player for an easy kill. Once construction is in the game it will become an issue because you could scout someones base and hop in there the next day to loot it.

Let me know which one you like best! Thank you for reading. :D

Edited by Tooka
  • Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though farming was when you went to an area emptied all the shit loot out and waited for the cycle to respawn repeated the process leaving garabge everywhere until you found the items you were looking for?

• Like 2

You sir are correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though farming was when you went to an area emptied all the shit loot out and waited for the cycle to respawn repeated the process leaving garabge everywhere until you found the items you were looking for?

characters bound to servers using the main hive is a problem, if the server goes offline u basicly cant play, unless u want to start a new character.

this idea ONLY works on private hives.

Banditry and farming (the real farming -- loot cycling) aren't "problems", they're tactics.

• Like 1

so pretty much make every server a private hive? that takes out the fun because if you have to change server you start over and if you dont go on that server again its all wasted time

Recycling loot? Nope.

Recycling loot? yep. If you hit the same loot spawns over and over until something good spawns, thats farming you limpdick. Thats as much an exploit as duping, it just takes longer to get the payout.

Edited by Inception.
Unnecessary. Quite stupid and unoriginal, too.
  • Like 1

Recycling loot? Nope.

I'd say waiting set amounts of time to get fresh spawned loot you knew would be there sounds like exploiting the loot spawning system.

but of course it must be easier to occasionally log on already in the NWAF control tower right after the loot spawns, take everything of value and disconnect like a little girl.

And what about when a server happens to go down, or you have to switch servers because of high ping? Or you wanna play with some buddies who play on different servers?

No.

Clearly people need to learn the meaning of the word "exploiting". Cycling loot isn't as easy as you seem to think, and it sure as hell isn't equivilant to duping -- try locking down the most hostile place on the map for longer than 30 minutes. It's a tactical, well-planned and risky strategy.

Edited by br00mmmm
  • Like 1

If there would be a way to lock the loot spawn for specific players and specific areas we would have a fix (for longer than already is. As in if you server hop you will need to leave area for 15 mins for items to spawn. If Connected to the hive maybe the game can check somehow if the server you were last was within 15 minutes and if shorter if its online to determine the lock.

Clearly people need to learn the meaning of the word "exploiting". Cycling loot isn't as easy as you seem to think, and it sure as hell isn't equivilant to duping -- try locking down the most hostile place on the map for longer than 30 minutes. It's a tactical, well-planned and risky strategy.

Bullshit to infinity. You don't need to lock down the NWAF. And even then, go on any low pop server, go to balota airfield, and run up the strip, collect loot from hangars, sit in the control tower for 5 minutes, then run back down the strip. If zombies follow you, oh no, go inside a building and headshot all of them. If you think this is tactical or difficult you are a baby. And this is what a TON of players do. In fact I'm sure the abundance of AS-50s and M107 is exactly because of this. Exactly because people will go from server to server and abuse spawns.

Such ideas have been suggested, discussed and dismissed countless times before.