deuce123

how do i tell where i am on the map?

i seriously have no idea how to tell where i am on the map, when my friends ask me where i am i just tell them "some where covered with trees" and that makes me feel like a complete retard at times, so if anyone could tell me where to find myself on the map it would be appreciated

Hold shift and left click your mouse on the map, it will give you a waypoint and distance to target.

If you have a compass you are set, if not just set the waypoint in a few different places until you find yourself.

Hold shift and left click your mouse on the map, it will give you a waypoint and distance to target.

If you have a compass you are set, if not just set the waypoint in a few different places until you find yourself.

I'd like to see that removed personally.

@around100

How would you know where you are on a real map?

Assuming waypoints are turned off and you're nowhere near a town, your only solution is to look around at the landscape and take note of the mountains, hills, forests, clearings, and any other landmarks you see. With that, you can zero in on your location on the map. It's a lot easier if you have a compass but it's not necessary. Knowing how to read a topographical map and understanding contour lines helps a lot.

http://www.compassdude.com/topographic-maps.shtml

http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-read-a-topographic-map/

I'd like to see that removed personally.

@around100

How would you know where you are on a real map?

Hmm I think id also like to see that removed. Mainly because I never knew about it and have been navigating by comparing my surroundings to my map since I started lol

I'm probably going to try it now though, as I know if they take it out I'm quite proficient at navigating the old fashioned way.

Edited by MattGL

Find a town read a sign, match it up with a map.

I've used this, works a treat until you find a map :)

I find it handy to know where I am at all times. I know this sounds obvious but what I mean is I don't run about daft, get lost and then try and figure out where I am. Dayzwiki has a map with all the spawn points marked. Starting from a known location is half the battle. keep track of where you are by going from landmark to landmark. Deer stands, barns etc. Of course the longer you play the more you will start to recongnise various landmarks.