Failbait

It's OK To Not to Love PVP

I hate PvP, I avoid it all costs. Much like real life violence, it really bums me out. This is my play style. It is as valid as any other, although far on one side of the PvP vs PvE spectrum.

When I get killed, I beat myself up. When I kill, I feel remorse. I might have been able to avoid conflict.

If you can't see why this makes this element of the game absolutely successful, then remember:

The creator of the mod has stated several times that the goal Is to elicit real emotional responses, even negative ones. If you can't enjoy the novelty of giving ACTUALLY shit about what happens simulated world, them this may not be for you.

tl;dr, take a deep breath and realize your nub tears are happening because the game is fucking amazing enough to make you give a shit.

Moderators- my apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum; this issue is raised quite often here. If it helps, think of this as a suggested course correction in attitude. If that's too flimsy then I look forward to the move.

• Like 12

I don't like it either.

I get mad when I get killed, but I feel bad when I kill.

I try to avoid it as much as possible and prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. My play style when I'm lone wolf is probably similat to the OP's, in that I will avoid conflict as much a spossible, mostly by simply avoiding people and when i do come into contact I simply greet them if possible (and I have a quick escape root/weapons to protect myself if things go south!). if they are hostile looking, i will simply try to avoid them unless tehy see me first in which case theres no alternative but to engage. I'm not that good at PvP though simply because I dont do it enough!

I do however enjoy the danger it introduces into the game and the fact that you never know other players intentions, motives and goals. The risk otehr players present is enjoyable, for all I dont particularly enjoy the actual fighting part!

Edited by Box
  • Like 1

I prefer the harder challenge, doing everything in my power to avoid unknown contacts with my buddy, game is more intense, more enjoyable with the "roughing the wilderness" with your buddy feeling. We shoot only if we must. Let it be a cow for meat, or a player in ghilley and dmr pointing at us.

• Like 3

I prefer the harder challenge

No, you really don't. Surviving the environment and running at the sight of other players isn't challenging at all. Squad vs squad pvp is the most challenging and rewarding part of the game.

If you don't pvp I wonder what the fuck you've been doing for the past few months. After you've geared up do you just sit in a bush til you need to get more food? Namalsk is possibly the only map worth playing that way, but on Chernarus.. are you serious? "roughing the wilderness".. 'cuz dat wilderness is so rough, bro.

Pvp game with zombie/survival elements.

Edited by TheBaby
  • Like 2

I love PVP when it comes to factions. You've got your group, they've got their group, you meet at a high-yield loot area and it all kicks off. That's acceptable PVP, because it has reason, or it's born from paranoia.

It's just the b*llocks of people sniping for no reason other to make their xXSUPER420MLGNOSCOPEXx montages, where they can brag about their super snipe skillz. The hills around Electro need firebombing.

Rant over. Haha.

Edited by mzltv
  • Like 2

i dont read many cryings from people who love PvP, only from people who hate PvP. do OP saying that if u dont have remorse emotion but satisfaction emotion when u kill other player then this game is not for u? i love PvP and if u want to run away then i have respect of ur decision but i am going to follow and kill u. i will always play this way and always respect @ how anybody play UNLESS they hack. if they hack to TP everyone or to kill snipers they are sociopath losers u know. there is no rules is dayz but there IS one rule --- (dont hack). if u dont hack but u like to talk to the goats all day in the forest i am ur friend. i still kill u for the emotional rewarding though! and for ur stuff to.

Edited by Marcellus_Wallace

I don't kill starters, I met a guy with a hatchet who was apparently trying to hunt me down, because he saw me in a firestation tower.

First, I hear a bunch of zombies aggro and see him jet up in the tower.

I have an urge to take him down, but instead I tell him that I wont shoot him. Then I get as close as 5 meters away from him and he doesn't attack me with the hatchet. He asks "Why are you following me?" in a very nervous tone.

Then we both run away in the opposite directions. Surprisingly, I didn't get a hatchet in my back when I stopped for some scouting. I think that went pretty well.

I hear all these guys telling awesome stories about how they met person X randomly in the wilderness/fire station/wherever and how they communicated and after a rocky start eventually hung out and became allies etc etc.

WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE?

I encounter no one and nothing except unspeaking murderous children who should be playing CoD. I have yet to have an encounter - post the initial few euphoric weeks of playing this game - that did not involve them running straight at me with whatever is at hand or simply blowing my brains out with a high-powered scoped sniper rifle from 3km away.

I would dearly, dearly, love to be able to say "Hey whats up" over in-game VOIP and get a friendly response, or for someone to offer a friendly "Hi friendly?" before they just bulldoze my corpse into a ditch and walk away with what little I own.

I confess, I'm not a huge PVP fan in most games, but PVP in this game feels... futile. There are no attempts at contact or negotiation or communication whatsoever. When I've spent days crawling around looking for a GPS (I actually found one, and a whole bunch of awesome stuff the other day) and just getting one-shotted from a speck on the horizon I just haven't logged in since. I wasn't even annoyed at that point I just thought to myself "What is the point?"

Thoughts?

No, you really don't. Surviving the environment and running at the sight of other players isn't challenging at all. Squad vs squad pvp is the most challenging and rewarding part of the game.

If you don't pvp I wonder what the fuck you've been doing for the past few months. After you've geared up do you just sit in a bush til you need to get more food? Namalsk is possibly the only map worth playing that way, but on Chernarus.. are you serious? "roughing the wilderness".. 'cuz dat wilderness is so rough, bro.

Pvp game with zombie/survival elements.

No, one man vs squad is far more challenging.

You probably don't even lift or nothin, bro.

• Like 1

I felt bad the first person I killed in dayz then I got killed many many times and now killing is second nature, you aint on our ts and your armed you gonna die plain and simple. but the most fun to be had from pvp is group on group without doubt. Fighting over the barracks at the NWA is hard to beat, or holding onto Object A2 in namalsk is a lot of fun too :thumbsup:

When I first off played DayZ I hated getting killed and I was reluctant to start killing other players. Then one night it all changed. I usually play DayZ with my bro and his mate, but this particular night I played with some of my mates from Uni. I ran into Cherno (survivor), got nothing really valuable (apart from a AK which I found on the way to Cherno), and I aggro'd a couple of zeds, out of nowhere this guy is shooting the zeds, and I hide. He eventually finds me and asks (side chat) me if I have NVG's (I Don't), he asks if want his, I said "yeah sure".

Now this was a totally new experience for me, a stranger offering me NVG's, So I was on TS with my mates, and they said, "You have to kill him, get all his gear and run". To which I replied "I can't do that, he actually probably saved me and now offering NVG's to me, that's just being nasty", response "Don't be a pussy Mike, just shoot him"

This guys was crouching in the corner, going into his pack, it was literally a perfect moment for the kill.

"Guy's I can't do it, I can't kill this du......." mates instant reply "Do It!!! "

Me : "No, it's not rig....." "DO IT NOW"

Now I bowed down to peer pressure and shot the dude to death. Stole all of his gear, My heart was actually pounding I was gutted, and scared at the same time with a bit of laughter between me and my friends. I ran out of Cherno (literally minutes after looting the corpse), the same guy I killed, kills me (I know because he said in chat). Now, the fact he was able to spawn near Cherno, pick up a weapon (a gun of some sort) and be there in just under 2 mins made me think he was some sort of hacker, and I think the whole thing was planned by this guy. But I guess it could have been karma.

But ever since then, I have only killed in self-defence or in self-defence of another. I am always a friendly.

• Like 1

Care bear.

Did you come up with that comment by yourself or is your social worker typing it for you?

• Like 8

I'm playing since 3 months or so and I killed only one time (that guy stole my pickup and hid it in the woods.. >_>). Most times I just avoid other players.

It's not I am not ready to kill someone in this game but I just want to handle it like I think it would be appropiate in this setting. Killing to survive, killing to defend what is yours. Playing for fun wouldnt be that appropiate imo.

it dont helping to say Care Bear at him. he only must realise that he have "nub tears" himself becase he can not live with the negative emotions he get when he die so much. i thinked at first its a nice post to say "Everyone Be what U like" (rockets idea) but its not. he must no it is the same as bandit saying at him You must PvP or the game is not for u.. u must feel good when u kill or the game is not for u. would he change? no. he think he was one arrogance bastard for telling him this. so at OP if post is really to say at PvPer its not the game for u and we should follow ur "correction in attitude" (to be a "care bear") then u can fuck u man!! :) never, i enjoy it like it is for a long time and always will be :)

if PvP is not completeley removed in the standalone then exact the same will always happen. and the same shits get said on youtube and dayz websites u know over and over. if they can make one powerstation fire by these comments we have one renewable source of the energy lol.

Why must he PVP? One can try avoiding PVP situation and when it comes down to PVP he can decide to run, to give up or (like you and me would) to defend his life.

DayZ gives you the opportunity to play like you want.

Playing CoD on Arma Engine - Check. Playing Hello Kitty on Arma Engine - Check. Everything in between - Check. :D

• Like 3

it dont helping to say Care Bear at him. he only must realise that he have "nub tears" himself becase he can not live with the negative emotions he get when he die so much. i thinked at first its a nice post to say "Everyone Be what U like" (rockets idea) but its not. he must no it is the same as bandit saying at him You must PvP or the game is not for u.. u must feel good when u kill or the game is not for u. would he change? no. he think he was one arrogance bastard for telling him this. so at OP if post is really to say at PvPer its not the game for u and we should follow ur "correction in attitude" (to be a "care bear") then u can fuck u man!! :) never, i enjoy it like it is for a long time and always will be :)

if PvP is not completeley removed in the standalone then exact the same will always happen. and the same shits get said on youtube and dayz websites u know over and over. if they can make one powerstation fire by these comments we have one renewable source of the energy lol.

I hope for your sake English is like your third or fourth language.

Why must he PVP? One can try avoiding PVP situation and when it comes down to PVP he can decide to run, to give up or (like you and me would) to defend his life.

DayZ gives you the opportunity to play like you want.

Playing CoD on Arma Engine - Check. Playing Hello Kitty on Arma Engine - Check. Everything in between - Check.

u make a good post. yes we can play how it is we like to play. u say it better than me probably :)there is nobody who this game is not for, except for HACKERS.

• Like 2

its a good post we can play how it is we like to play. there is nobody who this game is not for, accept for HACKERS..

Indeed. It's great that the game gives so many possibilities.

I understand the OP post.

I have days when I play like that and then I have days where anyone I see will die or ill die.

Group PVP is intense and if u have never been in that u will never understand.

The thrill is crazy even if ur a lone wolf taking on 2 players or more.

But it's not for everyone and a big part of that is because there not good at PVP...or have no brains when it comes to combat.

Good and valid point OP. I actually have days where I don't want to be bothered with the possiblity of PvP, then others where I go looking for it. I am of the school all playstyles should be allowed to thrive within a game. Unfortunately it's near impossible to do in a FFA enviorment.

PvP is fun. When I first started playing the game dehydration, starvation and zombies were the biggest threat to my life but not too long after that, when I had the rather simple mechanics figured out, the biggest threat became bandits. Now the bandits are the only real threat to me. I no longer get the same adrenaline rush from fighting zombies that I get from fighting bandits. Even if I take a Mk48 into town and draw the entire zombie population towards me I'm experienced enough to figure a way out of the situation when the time comes, which can be as ridiculously simple as standing inside a bush.

As a hero I don't kill unless threatened or shot at, but I'll admit to putting myself into the position where I become a target to bandits just so I can enjoy a good fight with them. I don't love PvP but I occasionally turn to it when I feel the need for some excitement. I'm hoping that in the standalone the zombies are ruthless and brutal and scare the absolute fuck out of me.

• Like 2