Sign in to follow this  
Michaelvoodoo25

Dont get too carried away

I read these forums as most people here do, I follow Rocket on twitter. How would one go about following devs and blogs?

Here Dude http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

Also I think people are smart about what's coming in the future and how a community driven future will bring a lot of good things to this game.

• Like 1

I'll admit, I haven't really been following the standalone's progress. I like surprises.

That said, I think I've managed my expectations well. I expect a smoother version of what we have now, major UI improvements, and maybe one or two cool features. Beyond that, I don't see much coming for awhile. I only hope we soon have the option of abandoning Chernarus, as I've played that map ad nauseum for years in ARMA II and now in DayZ.

My one and only question right now is the reason I'm posting here. I've spent about 20 minutes skimming around the web looking for info, but I'm not seeing much about when the standalone is set to release. To my understanding, it's this month right? Do we have anything more specific than that, or has it been delayed?

Edited by Askar

My one and only question right now is the reason I'm posting here. I've spent about 20 minutes skimming around the web looking for info, but I'm not seeing much about when the standalone is set to release. To my understanding, it's this month right? Do we have anything more specific than that, or has it been delayed?

I'm sure I'll get at least a little flak for saying this, but I really wouldn't count on a December release. We're guaranteed to hear some sort of news this week according to Rocket, but we've hardly seen anything beyond whatever this will be and the game is supposed to come out within the next two and 1/2 weeks if they're going to meet their goal. Seems off. I feel like we would have seen a lot more if it was still set to release before the end of the year. I'm betting it'll be a good and bad news type of deal. "Here's some cool features you can expect to see/some screens! Buuut... We've also pushed it back to a mid/late January release. Sorry guys!" I personally don't have a problem with this and I'm not saying I'm definitely right, but I get the feeling that's what it'll be. I'd be glad if it wasn't the case.

Edited by Tewlsy The Toolbag

Hello there

*if* they manage to smooth out the avatar control, that would have a vast impact on the game IMHO. Many are/were put off Arma by it's "differentness".

I too, hope for a pre chrimble release, but would rather have a solid later release than a sooner flawed one.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

i just hope they don't get too carried away with the "realism" aspect, like pooping..i mean honestly everyone always says "MOAR REALISM!12!" but then when its actually put in it becomes more of a chore then a game and quickly loses entertainment value

The UI is a good example, completely removing it from the SA would be a mistake in my opinion, not everyone is a hardcore player..forcing the casuals to play a certain way never goes well as casual gamers make up 80% of any population and if they feel overwhelmed they will leave, if it must be done I hope they do it correctly by giving servers an option to run the game on "difficulty levels" or something and not forcing people to play the way they "see fit" as dictating gameplay always ends up going south

DayZ is already considered a hardcore mod and the UI we currently have isn't exactly amazing as I can't tell the difference between 1000 blood and 100 blood, I can only imagine colorblind people have it worse, not being able to tell between 8000 and 1000. There is a fine line between acceptable realism and pain in the ass realism, if I have to stop to "poop" every hour or two thats just annoying and I honestly don't see what it contributes

I agree dear, however with a twist. Please let the game come out as a shining example to all those big labels, give it all the time necessary and listen to your customers.

If (Sorry) WHEN the game comes out then there will be uproar and I dare say a few more imitators (Better than the last pile of crud) good for us gamers and would highlight the trend of actually listening to the paying public.

Take all the time you need rocket and co.

I'm sure I'll get at least a little flak for saying this, but I really wouldn't count on a December release. We're guaranteed to hear some sort of news this week according to Rocket, but we've hardly seen anything beyond whatever this will be and the game is supposed to come out within the next two and 1/2 weeks if they're going to meet their goal. Seems off. I feel like we would have seen a lot more if it was still set to release before the end of the year. I'm betting it'll be a good and bad news type of deal. "Here's some cool features you can expect to see/some screens! Buuut... We've also pushed it back to a mid/late January release. Sorry guys!" I personally don't have a problem with this and I'm not saying I'm definitely right, but I get the feeling that's what it'll be. I'd be glad if it wasn't the case.

I agree fully. I'm not really expecting a December release, although one would certainly make me happy! I was just wondering what the latest official word was, as I haven't really seen anything conclusive for months. I really do hope they take all the time they need to at least get a stable working alpha out on sale. The initial release of the Standalone, no matter how incomplete it is, will have a significant impact on the way DayZ is viewed for quite some time. It's not often that you get a second chance at making a first impression, but when you do you want to make sure you do it right. DayZ has been getting a bad reputation lately for the abundance of hackers and the antagonistic fanbase, this is Rocket's biggest chance to change that for awhile.

I just wish that aiming down sight is not toggle like we see in dayz mod, so annoying.

I just can't wait for a playable game tbh. Sure there will be bugs and problems but that's the whole point of the exercise, right? That's why we are here and have been here for months.

For those who just want a fully finished product, the choice is simple, just wait.

• Like 1

I stalk rocket like a psycho ex-girlfriend that wants her puppy back, even though it's not hers, so I feel somewhat up to date on the foundation. I'll be happy if the standalone matches the mod in terms of features and gameplay with maybe a sprinkle of extra goodies on top. . Either way, it's going to be a rough couple weeks post release. Day One is going to be chaos.

As long as we get a better gun/player animations and working zombies i will be happy, imo things like base building ect shouldn't even be considered until the core gameplay is perfected/smoothed out.

Edited by Rollo

seen that this was revived.

"you raised my hopes up and dashed them quite expertly. Bravo sir." - Tinny Tim, FUTURAMA

Hell, I'm only hoping for a more polished version of what we have in the mod. Anything else at release or added down the road will be icing on the cake for me personally.