Sign in to follow this  
snypr18

Finding friends

A buddy and I played a bit last night. It was pitch black, we had no compass or maps etc, and we spent more time just trying to meet up than actually playing the game. How does everyone here typically go about finding their friends in game?

Typically, I will find a sign of a town or something. Tell my buddy the sign name, then we try to coordinate from there where the fuck we go.

Its the journey thats the best, not the destination ;)

Guest Suffocation

Everyone has different ways, generally, you either go off and loot on your own for abit, try find a map, compass etc then meet up (making it far easier, simple land nav) or you look for anything you would look for if you were trying to navigate...

e.g. Land marks, Towns, Sign posts, Coastal Areas, Rail Road Track and Power lines to name a few... Figure out roughly where you could be and your buddies could be then make your way towards each other while following something that you can reference (if possible)

First you need to orient yourselves (determine which direction is North, everyone should be able to do this based on the sun/stars if not time to go to boyscouts or search for a compass), then you need to figure out where exactly you are as we all spawn on the coast (those of us who have played Arma 2 for a while generally know where we are in relation to each other so that is a HUUGE help). Failing all those options one guy needs to locate a map you can use that to guide each other and rally up.

Regroup with friends can be a bit frustrating at times... One time I used all my flares just to get to the regroup point. And I sprinted on the beach all the time.

This is usually what we do. We check where we spawned and run along the coast...

I'm having this lying next to me to navigate. :D

Guest Suffocation

BTK... Oh my god, where the hell did you get that? & where can I get one!

That is epic not for the fact of using it in game and such but that is just epic!

Bohemia send it to me. I think, it was because I bought Arrowhead on Sprocket. Takistan is on the backside. It's a really great map. Maybe you can contact Bohemia and ask if they still have some? :)

Guest Suffocation

Thanks, I will be looking into this! I brought the Anniversary Edition after owning OA and ArmA II just to support them and they didnt send me anything :(

Will be getting onto them ASAP for my maps :P

With my friends and I, It took us a few hours to initially meet up for the first time, which was also in the dark. Getting a map up in a browser helps, and knowing the land marks as well. I've had to run back from spawn a few times and and it hasn't taken too long either time.

Land nav is very easy once you have a compass and a map, at least. But with a map and land marks, studying the roads you can get pretty far. Just knowing Cheranus' landscape helps as well.

Bohemia has their official map up on the Arma II site, which also helps a lot due to the Cyrillic translations.

But yeah, a map is just what we originally used.

I started to use a map from online but have stopped now, I am not trying to impose my view but I simply go without now, I have started to learn some of the Cyrillic letters to help me work out town signs.

I know the Cyrillic names of a select few coastal towns now, enough to know one town will be east of Chern or west of Elecktro etc, so it makes it easier to move about.

Inland is a bit different though, central part of the map is easy as its due north of chern is a small town then the Stary towns or whatever its called so its easy to get a good idea of where I am and how to get to other people.

It is nice learning this as I go.

Best bet is to find common landmarks. Big hills, certain structures. After you play enough, you'll get the hang of the land and know roughly where you spawned in relation to other points.