Sign in to follow this  
JimJam (DayZ)

How about a BTR-70?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R1Gu-RepWXg/T28ZNQpfDvI/AAAAAAAAAQo/YrZSA9QxQlw/s1600/BTR-70_03.jpg

There were actually quite a few BTR-70's in the Caucasus around the period of Arma 2.

Would be a more realistic vehicle to operate than a helicopter, just requires some basic mechanic knowledge, and wouldn't require the level of training to drive.

These were pretty much bullet proof, didn't break down a lot.

Would be an excellent team vehicle, with a driver, MG operator and Commander required for max efficiency.

But of course, if it was included, also would need RPG-7's to be added to counter it, which wouldn't be too hard.

Edited by JimJam

BTR-70 would be rediculous. Small arms fire would be ineffective and the AT4 that is already in game is rare as fuck. If they made the AT4 more common I think you could imagine how retarded things would get.

BTR-70 would be rediculous. Small arms fire would be ineffective and the AT4 that is already in game is rare as fuck. If they made the AT4 more common I think you could imagine how retarded things would get.

Actually I think a .50 cal would go through the side of the BTR. And as I said, adding RPG-7's would give a decent counter.

RPG-7's (or RPG-2's) were almost as common as AK's anyway.

RPG's would give a more realistic counter to the heli as well, since the effectiveness of small arms against the heli is too high.

Edited by JimJam

Thats like putting Shere Khan and Mowgli in a cage rewriting the jungle book it wont end well

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

http://1.bp.blogspot...0/BTR-70_03.jpg

There were actually quite a few BTR-70's in the Caucasus around the period of Arma 2.

Would be a more realistic vehicle to operate than a helicopter, just requires some basic mechanic knowledge, and wouldn't require the level of training to drive.

Would be an excellent team vehicle, with a driver, MG operator and Commander required for max efficiency.

But of course, if it was included, also would need RPG-7's to be added to counter it, which wouldn't be too hard.

I played on an RMOD server that had those, and trust me, they are OP as hell. There were RPG-7s too but rockets for the rpg and normal rocket launcher were no where to be found. It also has a decent machine gun on the top too, and that's really the only vulnerable part of the vehicle, if that really counts.

I was thinking about this the other day. If the gun for the vehicle had to be fixed with rare parts or was non existant I could see it being somewhat fair to have ingame (with the addition of an RPG or IED to counter it because satchels are too rare to be effective). I was thinking more of a BTR-40 (some driver and passenger exposure) or a BRDM with a pk machine gun.

Another suggestion might be that T-34 you find in Cherno and Vybor (I think). Its on a pedistal so you would have to fix it up with ALLOT of spare parts and then you could drive it off the pedistal. I would feel if this were added that maybe only one T-34 for the map would be in order and it would use a large amount of fuel, be noisy, dusty and would break down often. Its gun might not even work or would need massive repair for the machinegun to work (no cannon, too destructive and unfair plus lack of ammo). But it would be bulletproof and would need an RPG or satchels to completely destroy it, or simple IED's and molotov cocktails (throw the cocktail on the engine block and it will eat up all the oxygen thus making engine stop and cab fill with smoke!). Maybe even have to constantly repair the tracks that break all the time due to age?

Edited by PracticalTactical

I actually got a BTR, it is used as my welcome wagon / ambulance / Evac to new / injured players on my regular server. (Rmod) It get stolen at least once a day, Luckily so far no one has gone on a killing spree with it. It is mostly joy riders with the occasional commandeering comrade commencing a combat extraction. Even though I love it, it would be the bane of many of balance wranglers, we'd never hear the end of the moaning. Thing is a blast tho! I love freaking out the new folks when I drive them into a large body of water for a up close tour of Skalisty Island or the Pobeda Dam.

• Like 1

It could work, it should just be as rare as the at-4 and it should need A LOT of gas intake, along with no machine gun. Then it would be good. imo.

Actually I think a .50 cal would go through the side of the BTR. And as I said, adding RPG-7's would give a decent counter.

RPG-7's (or RPG-2's) were almost as common as AK's anyway.

RPG's would give a more realistic counter to the heli as well, since the effectiveness of small arms against the heli is too high.

difficulty of that being the armor is sloped, not a straight angle surface you would be hitting, the 9mm and 7mm armor panes can easily amount to 15-16 and 13-14mm equal in a straight angle slab of steel, and given that the barret will penetrate 1½ inch of straight angle steel from 100 meters, WITH an AP round, shooting at the BRT-70 from 100 meters with standard rounds, still might not do the trick, it would be like a camble, it could do it, and on the other hand it couldnt :S not to mention, getting that close, you would be vulnerable to return fire.

Edited by DiazWaffleCrabstro

http://1.bp.blogspot...0/BTR-70_03.jpg

I think a BRDM would be a better choice for balance reasons, since sustained fire from 7.62mm weapons would probably take one down.

How about M1 Abrams? Wait, how about artillery and nuclear bombs?

How about M1 Abrams? Wait, how about artillery and nuclear bombs?

pffft those are for sissies,

• Like 1

I was thinking about this the other day. If the gun for the vehicle had to be fixed with rare parts or was non existant I could see it being somewhat fair to have ingame (with the addition of an RPG or IED to counter it because satchels are too rare to be effective). I was thinking more of a BTR-40 (some driver and passenger exposure) or a BRDM with a pk machine gun.

Another suggestion might be that T-34 you find in Cherno and Vybor (I think). Its on a pedistal so you would have to fix it up with ALLOT of spare parts and then you could drive it off the pedistal. I would feel if this were added that maybe only one T-34 for the map would be in order and it would use a large amount of fuel, be noisy, dusty and would break down often. Its gun might not even work or would need massive repair for the machinegun to work (no cannon, too destructive and unfair plus lack of ammo). But it would be bulletproof and would need an RPG or satchels to completely destroy it, or simple IED's and molotov cocktails (throw the cocktail on the engine block and it will eat up all the oxygen thus making engine stop and cab fill with smoke!). Maybe even have to constantly repair the tracks that break all the time due to age?

The BTR70, BTR80, and BDRM have a KPVT mounted on them. This weapon fires 14.5x114, which is a massive round used mostly against low flying aircraft and light armor. Soft vehicles will be destroyed outright in a few rounds under any circumstances.

They also have a PKT for use against infantry. That weapon fires 7.62x54mmR. Many of you are familair with how effective this round is due its use by the Dragonov and the PKM. Note the the Draganov does use a sniper variant called 7.62x54mmR 7N1.

I think a BRDM would be a better choice for balance reasons, since sustained fire from 7.62mm weapons would probably take one down.

Who has that many 7.62 laying around in the apocalypse though? I have seen mounted M134s knock out BDRMs before but that doesn't matter for DayZ.